NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hogge

Sega Saturn: What to buy?

So I've always liked the way the Sega Saturn looks. The guy who drew the controller, the console itself and even the logo should win some kind of design prize. But I became a gamer right at the end of the systems life span, so I know very little of the software library.

As the console has become dirt cheap, I am now considering to buy it, but I'm not sure what games to get. I'm mainly a 3D guy, so despite the Saturn being known for its 2D games, I think I may shy away from most of those.

So far I've found out about Fighters Megamix, which seems to be a really feature packed game. Die Hard Trilogy is a game I used to play with a mate back in the day which I recall being fun. But beyond that?

Deep Fear

NiGHTS

Sonic Jam

Shining Force 3

Shining Holy Ark

Burning Rangers

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Sega Rally

Daytona

Virtua Fighter 2

Virtua Cop

Virtua Cop 2

House of the Dead

Clockwork Knight

Clockwork Knight 2

Guardian Heroes

Athlete Kings

Winter Heat

Sonic R ( what? I like it )

Manx TT Superbikes

Last Bronx

Fighting Vipers

Dragon Force

Die Hard Arcade

Street Fighter Alpha

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Dark Saviour

Saturn Bomberman

I loved Sonic R too :D Got it on the PC. Best/worst soundtrack of all time.

CAN YOU FEEL THE SUNSHINE? DOES IT BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY?

DON'T YOU FEEL THAT SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED TO RUN AWAY?

@Hogge if you're interested I actually have a spare boxed Sega Saturn which unfortunately is missing the power light(?) - random I know - but otherwise is working to my knowledge though I'd need to test it. Indeed the main reason I bought the extra machine was because it was in a job lot but because of it and another auction I was able to assemble a second copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga meaning that I technically have a spare which I'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price - not peanuts obviously - but because it's complete including the sleeve which has some small tears plus significant wear to it chances are I'd be letting it go for a bit less than some copies go for on eBay. : peace:

Anyway if you're interested then shoot me a PM or even if you just want the console plus a few games - I have some spare games I could bundle in - then let me know but I completely understand if you want to source everything yourself from eBay like I did. :)

Either way the Saturn is an amazing machine with a lot of quality games to offer, I only have a slice of what's available on the machine but my rather concise collection includes...

Athlete Kings

Burning Rangers

Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams

Deep Fear

D

Darius Gaiden

Mighty Hits

NiGHTS into Dreams

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon II

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Parodius

Resident Evil

Sega Ages Vol.1

Shining Force III

Sonic 3D

Sonic Jam

Sonic R

The Story of Thor

Virtua Fighter

Virtua Fighter 2

The other games that I have are just kind of 'spare' but the above list is my personal collection which I'm quite pleased with. :D

I've seen some footage from Scud Disposable Assassin and the game looks kind of cool. But is it a good game?

@Hogge if you're interested I actually have a spare boxed Sega Saturn which unfortunately is missing the power light(?)

That would bug me so much. I want to put my name down if Hogge says no but I'd always be looking at that dead LED :p

That would bug me so much. I want to put my name down if Hogge says no but I'd always be looking at that dead LED :p

Yeah, I originally bought it as a larger lot with the intention of possibly fixing/replacing the LED but just never got around to it, probably a simple operation but I just haven't really looked into it. ::shrug:

But yes it would bug me too, it's a shame because otherwise the machine is in pretty good shape. :)

Yeah, I originally bought it as a larger lot with the intention of possibly fixing/replacing the LED but just never got around to it, probably a simple operation but I just haven't really looked into it. ::shrug:

But yes it would bug me too, it's a shame because otherwise the machine is in pretty good shape. :)

Pic? Which version of the console and which controller?

Wow just looked on ebay $118 for a copy of burning rangers wowza the console is cheap though.

Pic? Which version of the console and which controller?

I'll see if I can get a pic sorted out for you soon, all I know off-hand is that it's a boxed Pal version Sega Saturn with the original controllers plus an arcade stick which came with it.

Sense a SPILIT second...

A shoddily made, but still awesome game.

Also, no one has mentioned Virtual On:

Edited by Goafer

I had a Sega Saturn for something like 3 days before my brother bought it off me for his own collection :indeed:

When I got it a few years ago, I was interested in playing a few games, such as Sega Rally, Nights and Panzer Dragoon, having never so much as held a Sega Saturn controller before :eek:

In the end, I realised that most of the games I would have been wanting to play were going to cost way more than what I was willing to pay and I would have needed to invest in a memory card aswell. Having got a decent enough bundle on ebay for around £30, including Sega Rally, Manx TT, Tomb Raider and WipEout, amongst others, my brother was more than happy to take it off my hands when I realised I wasn't going to get what I wanted from the console..

Virtual On seems to be a nice addition.

And is anyone aware of whether Scud is good or not? I've heard Youtubers claim it's not too good, but then again I've seen them bash Pilotwings 64 and other classics.

I mostly have Japanese games, and my most played ones are:

Konami Antiques MSX Collection (includes a whole bunch of MSX games, I only play the Gradius games though)

Metal Slug

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Saturn Bomberman

Pocket Fighter

Puyo Puyo Sun

House of The Dead, with lightgun of course :)

No one has mentioned Guardian heroes, one of the best side scrolling beat em ups of all time?! Also Loaded was pretty good :)

No one has mentioned Guardian heroes, one of the best side scrolling beat em ups of all time?! Also Loaded was pretty good :)

Hey! I did. :)

God! All of the good games on Saturn are just sooooo expensive and hard to find :cry:

I want Burning Rangers something fierce, but good lord!

I need my Saturn Virtual Console on Wii U badly... It's probably THE singular console in existence that needs a Virtual Console revival the most...

God! All of the good games on Saturn are just sooooo expensive and hard to find :cry:

I want Burning Rangers something fierce, but good lord!

I need my Saturn Virtual Console on Wii U badly... It's probably THE singular console in existence that needs a Virtual Console revival the most...

You think that's bad, N64 games are going through the roof at the moment. A copy of Paper Mario I was watching went for £171 yesterday! It's insane.

The Pal version of Burning Rangers usually goes for around £40-50. The likes of Shining Force 3 and Deep Fear are where the prices sky rocket to over £100.

How is the Saturn from a reliability standpoint?

I've heard a fair share of criticism against the Dreamcast, but I haven't heard anything about the Saturn.

Sign in to follow this