NEurope
Serebii

Codename: S.T.E.A.M. - Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace

It was okay. Got samey after 10 minutes though. And this over an advance wars is even more depressing....

Played the demo. You know what it plays like? A Gamecube game called "Future Tactics: The Uprising".

^And yes, I spent bloody ages trying to find this game on GameFAQs. I knew it was CUBE...but annoying. Levels were much bigger as I remember, and eventually you had an entire squad. Out and out battles/strategy level up equipment etc. In all honestly, this STEAM seem like an exact copy of this game, albeit slimmed down and a different cosmetic appearance.

So if you play this game, finish it, and crave more: go get yourself a cheap CUBE and this game. As I remember it; it was fudging awesome.

EDIT: I was looking at Youtube for trailers for stuff and ended up looking at Dolphin stuff, and looked at this game (Uprising). I only really saw the first level, but some later levels were really huge with massive strategy elements. Kind of put me off STEAM a bit; I hope not all levels are essentially corridors, with no wide open spaces, and not being able to aim yours reticule/first person style for headshots is annoying (unless you can?)

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

Played through this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. They need to speed up enemy turns as everyone has suggested, but I have relatively high hopes for it now.

I found myself desperate for a map whilst playing it, but I guess it is part of the charm / theme of the game. Seems like it will have an online multi-player which could be quite a good one to play in between other games that require more immediate attention.

Tried the demo today, unfortunately it's not my type of game so this won't be getting a look-in from me now.

Has Nintendo ever released a game as Murican as this?

Preordered it already, loved the demo.

Various US reviews of this are up and whilst it seems solid (generally 3.5 to 4 out of 5, ignoring the usual Gamespot outlier) it also seems like they have not really done anything about the criticisms of the demo.

Given the games that are now coming out in May this may become a casualty.

I was hoping for something that ultimately was the quality of Fire Emblem and it seems as if we do not have that.

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy wondering what kind of engine Intelligent Systems will be using for Advance Wars.

I'd think they will be using the Fire Emblem Awakening engine since they seem to be so fond of it, but perhaps they will be revamping the entire style of Advance Wars once again....who knows....

They've certainly shown they can get mad creative with this game.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the EU ND, but a patch ic coming that allows fast forwarding enemy turns. 3x speed on n3DS and 2x on regular 3DS. Hooray for getting the game last!

Ooh, Retro mentioned double speed in the chatroom, triple speed on the New 3DS is even better! Was really hyped until the slow enemy turns really put me off in the demo - it'd be nice if they updated the demo as well so we can get a true representation of what it will be before buying it.

How similar is this to Valkryia Chronicles? Anyone played both?

I also noticed the resemblance.

Too bad this is nowhere near as good looking as Valkyria for the PSP.

Ooh, Retro mentioned double speed in the chatroom, triple speed on the New 3DS is even better! Was really hyped until the slow enemy turns really put me off in the demo - it'd be nice if they updated the demo as well so we can get a true representation of what it will be before buying it.

Just noticed the demo had an update and it has indeed added the fast forward feature. No idea how long that's been available.

Just noticed the demo had an update and it has indeed added the fast forward feature. No idea how long that's been available.

Since the main game got updated.

Wow, verrrry quiet in here. This game is released tomorrow, but there's pretty much zero hype. Is anyone getting it? :blank:

I gave the demo a go but it really wasn't my kind of game, so I'll be passing. Get the feeling that it's not going to do too well. :hmm:

I'm getting it (Shopto have shipped my copy), but yeah, sadly this game looks to end up being a forgotten little gem in the 3DS' library... Much like Valkyria Chronicles ironically enough!

I was looking forward to it from E3/Directs etc. but my hype for it totally died after the demo, perhaps due to the lack of chat on here :( Got other things to play and can't really afford something I'm not desperate for, so will pick it up at a later date probably.

I was going to get it, but cancelled my per-order because there are too many games being released in May!

I think some of the quite negative reviews (at the time of the US launch and now the UK launch) have had a cumulative effect of making me want it less as well.

Apparently I forgot to preorder it so ordered it last night from the Nintendo Store and they shipped it at 8am this morning. Not bad.

But yeah, not particularly hyped either.

Awful art style, ugly graphics and rough gameplay mechanics...yeah, not for me.

I've been down on this since day 1 and nothing they have shown has changed my opinion of the game. At least Valkyrie Chronicles had a great art style and an interesting story and setting.

Not my kind of game and the art style looks too rough. If the 3DS hardware were a bit more powerful it'd probably look better, but as is....

Plus I'm having too much fun with Puzzle and Dragons Z: Super *breathe* Mario Bros Edition

Downloading it as soon as it's up on the eShop. The most excited I've been for a new Nintendo release in quite a long time, hopefully it will sell reasonably well.

Why does it take 5 minutes for the computer to have its turn? Is there no way of speeding it up ?

Why does it take 5 minutes for the computer to have its turn? Is there no way of speeding it up ?

There's a patch to speed them up. If you've already downloaded it and you still think it's slow then I guess you're gonna have to live with it. Plenty of reviews stated this was a BIG issue with the game. I'm surprised you didn't realise this.

Yeah, game doesn't appeal to me at all, still can't believe they made this instead of Advance Wars :) I'll probably pick it up when it's cheap as I do like their stuff!

It's too turn-based for me. Love the concept behind it but not the gameplay.