NEurope
canand

Nintendo Next Gen Handheld

3DS is 3 years old when does everyone think Nintendo next gen handheld will come out

Pretty much what yesteryeargames said, but not quite as we know it's separate to the home console they're planning, just sharing architecture.

The 3DS is only 3 years old. It'll be at least a year before we hear rumblings of the new console coming. 2016 is the absolute earliest that we'll see one.

I'm thinking 2016 but I really wouldn't be shocked if the next handheld came out late 2015 unless Nintendo get out a premium 3DS model which can drive sales.

Thinking about the next generation Nintendo handheld, I can't help but wonder if 3D will be sticking around for the ride. I mean, is it the revolution that handheld gaming needs? Or is it needlessly expensive as any graphical fidelity will need an even further back end push to render the second image for the 3D effect.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss it if they drop it.

Thinking about the next generation Nintendo handheld, I can't help but wonder if 3D will be sticking around for the ride. I mean, is it the revolution that handheld gaming needs? Or is it needlessly expensive as any graphical fidelity will need an even further back end push to render the second image for the 3D effect.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss it if they drop it.

They will have to drop 3D becuse of this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-28-former-sony-employee-sues-nintendo-over-3ds-glassless-3d-technology

I'm going to guess 2016.

The way I see it, Nintendo's support of the 3DS is really slowing down now (that's not a criticism). 2014 has a lot of games I'm interested in - and that's fine for me - but at this point in the past Nintendo could hand over the machine to 3rd-parties. That doesn't seem feasible this time. 2015 could be a reasonable year for the 3DS, with maybe some "easy-to-make" games, like another Zelda based on the Link Between Worlds engine, or even Majora's Mask 3D, but I don't seem them putting in a huge effort for anything going forwards.

So, by Spring 2016 I think we could all be ready for a new handheld. A lot of it must depend on when Nintendo can free up resources from the Wii U. Considering what they've said, I think it'll be similar to the Wii U, but weaker. The Wii U Virtual Console will probably now be the base, and so the next handheld should be able to run all the emulators they've built for Wii U (and therefore, your GBA games etc).

I always have the 3D turned off, it's pretty useless...and if I have it on, I have to turn it off after a while anyway since my eyes / head start to hurt. The 2DS is a step in the right direction, imo...

Oh yeah, I don't think there's any chance at all it will have stereoscopic 3D. Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely amazed by it when I first got the 3DS, but I haven't used it (the 3D) for years.

The 3DS still feels new to me, and unlike the DS in its later years, doesn't feel as though it needs an upgrade (the graphics on DS and lack of proper eShop meant it was definitely time for the 3DS to step in)

Nintendo have also finally turned things around for it, it would feel like a waste, after all that effort to get the 3DS into peoples pockets, to release a new handheld so soon. I'd also guess that 2016 is the earliest we'll see a new handheld. That's what I'd hope for anyway - We've only just had Pokémon! The DS had like... 3 main installments, right?

The next handheld desperately needs a much, much higher res screen. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice 3D for that.

The next handheld desperately needs a much, much higher res screen. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice 3D for that.

3D isn't needed. As the film industry continues to prove people are not that really bothered about 3D.

Next handheld needs to be 720p minimum but really it should be 1080p. A nice super LCD or Amoled screen with 1080p resolution.

One screen as well as I don't think we need another dual screen.

Dual screens is definitely better than just the one, even for just a map/item selection function!

3D isn't needed. As the film industry continues to prove people are not that really bothered about 3D.

Next handheld needs to be 720p minimum but really it should be 1080p. A nice super LCD or Amoled screen with 1080p resolution.

One screen as well as I don't think we need another dual screen.

Why? Why do they need to go to such ridiculous resolutions on such a small screen. It's a waste of power and money at this point.

Removing the second screen is also a terrible idea. It's great. Removing it is counter intuitive and will cause things to get cluttered and counter-intuitive again. At worst use, it removes clutter from the gameplay screen. I don't like it when the HUD of a game takes up ridiculous amounts of space.

There is actually zero reason to remove the second screen and countless reasons to keep it.

Edited by Serebii

I love the dual screen setup, and I really hope they'll keep it. It just feels very natural.

I couldn't bother less about the 3D, it's fun for a minute, but then everybody just turns it off.

I'm not sure if 1080p would have a great impact on such a small screen size though. I agree a better screen resolution would be nice, but it doesn't have to be rediculous.

I'm not quite done yet with 3DS though, I mean it obviously has alot of good games, but nowhere as many as DS had. I hope it will stick around until 2016/2017 at least!

I wouldn't mind the dual screen setup. I like it and think it works.

720p screen resolution should be the bare minimum though with dual analogue controls.

I really hope they keep the dual screen setup too (not really bothered about 3D) but it's probably time to lose the stylus now. :hehe:

Yeah, they should go with a capacitive touchscreen next time, and make both screens touch screens!

The other thing I'd like them to keep is the clamshell design. It's an effective way of keeping the screens in good shape (other than that issue with the original 3DS :heh:) helps keep dust out of the controls, and is generally more pocket friendly. :)

And last but by no means least, use the anti-glare tech of the 3DSXL again, but improve it even more. A lot more actually. :D

Yeah, that's still my biggest pet peeve with portable devices (across all hardware manufacturers) the screens can be so bloody difficult to see outdoors! :shakehead

I actually wouldn't be against the idea of Nintendo's next handheld featuring a monochrome screen like the kindle! ;)

Imagine it, a super advanced successor to the original Game Boy, with a screen you could see perfectly even in direct sunlight!

I wonder if Nintendo have considered a single bendable OLED screen, in place of having two separate screens with their next handheld? (Now here's an example where a bendable screen would actually be useful and not just for show!)

I really hope they keep the dual screen setup too (not really bothered about 3D) but it's probably time to lose the stylus now. :hehe:

Yeah, they should go with a capacitive touchscreen next time, and make both screens touch screens!

The other thing I'd like them to keep is the clamshell design. It's an effective way of keeping the screens in good shape (other than that issue with the original 3DS :heh:) helps keep dust out of the controls, and is generally more pocket friendly. :)

And last but by no means least, use the anti-glare tech of the 3DSXL again, but improve it even more. A lot more actually. :D

Yeah, that's still my biggest pet peeve with portable devices (across all hardware manufacturers) the screens can be so bloody difficult to see outdoors! :shakehead

I actually wouldn't be against the idea of Nintendo's next handheld featuring a monochrome screen like the kindle! ;)

Imagine it, a super advanced successor to the original Game Boy, with a screen you could see perfectly even in direct sunlight!

Na, they need to keep resistive and stylus. Perhaps make it multitouch resistive but there's no way in hell they should make it capacitive. Capacitive is way too inaccurate for gaming. It's fine for smartphones and some apps, but games? No.

Edited by Serebii

The idea of dual screen feels more integral or essential to me than it does gimmicky. For me, it's gone past the point of being "just an idea" to something that I wouldn't want to see disappear. Nintendo would be taking a huge backward step by removing it.

The only thing I'd like to see them do is make the next handheld more powerful, I guess. I can easily live with or without 3D. Aside from that, I don't think it needs another else, no gimmicks attached. Almost a GameCube style evolution over the N64; more powerful, giving developers more range to create interesting games.

Although, Nintendo's handhelds have always been more about the games themselves rather than being "an awesome set of hardware". So, long may that continue.

I wonder if Nintendo have considered a single bendable OLED screen, in place of having two separate screens with their next handheld? (Now here's an example where a bendable screen would actually be useful and not just for show!)
I'm not all that clued-up on bendable screen tech, but I take it they suffer from the same glare issues as flat screens, right?

Na, they need to keep resistive and stylus. Perhaps make it multitouch resistive but there's no way in hell they should make it capacitive. Capacitive is way too inaccurate for gaming. It's fine for smartphones and some apps, but games? No.
See I've heard this a lot, but having recently spent quite a bit of time using an iPad mini (apps and gaming) I'm not sure if I agree. :hmm:

Yes you get a few occasions where it doesn't recognise your input, or just does something weird. But it's actually pretty solid I reckon.

And of course if it was part of a Nintendo device, there would still be the traditional directional controls/buttons for precision purposes. ;)

I definitely think they should look into it at least. Price will probably be the biggest problem though.

If it's curved glass it actually eliminates the glare.

As for next gen, yeah, a more powerful 3ds, but maybe expand on the streetpass, social stuff more, streetpass is amazing so utilising it more would be great.