NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Mario Kart 8 |OT| [SPOILERS]

I don't get that. You have to look away from the screen in the DS & 3DS versions, too. I always managed it.

But I digress, I haven't played the game yet so I can't judge. We'll talk about this at the end of the month :p

But if the gamepad is in your hand it requires you to move your whole head. On the 3DS one the bottom screen is still within your peripheral vision but it's not on the gamepad...at all. Huge difference between the 3DS/DS set up and the Wii U one.

Although...how does everyone else see the map?! What if you're P2/P3 etc?

I'll be playing the game with a normal controller and keeping the game pad beside my telly so everyone can see the map easily.

I'll be playing the game with a normal controller and keeping the game pad beside my telly so everyone can see the map easily.

That's not a bad idea actually. The only annoying/difficult part for me would be making sure that I could charge the gamepad at the same time (lack of free sockets). Did the old games have maps for all on multiplayer?

I'm not sure about Mario Kart SNES and 64 but the others definitely had a map either on the side of the screen or in the middle depending on the amount of players. You could get a USB charger for the Gamepad off eBay and stick that into the front or back of the Wii U to charge it while playing.

I don't get that. You have to look away from the screen in the DS & 3DS versions, too. I always managed it.

But I digress, I haven't played the game yet so I can't judge. We'll talk about this at the end of the month :p

How....can you not understand the difference? In one case the screens are (near enough) the same size and next to each other, in the other they can be 1+ metres away and completely different sizes.

The only way I could think to do it was to thrust my hands out (ooh baby) so that it is in line with the TV, but that made playing uncomfortable.

I did consider that this morning, but don't want to resort to a Wii Remote when playing two player right now :heh: Plus it's still not as ideal as a map on screen.

I'll mooch around the options more later and see if its hidden away, but we did try yesterday.

I'm a pro with the wii wheel :D Although last year when I played this game the wheel controls felt really off and they changed B to throw items instead of drifting! If it's the same in the full game then I won't be able to use the wheel :(

One other tiiiiiiny thing I forgot to mention, when you were inked in the DS version of the game and you speed boosted, the ink did this cool thing and got blown away. On this, that blown away effect is gone; it just fades. Tiny but I missed it.

Isn't the map on the GamePad? No different to the 3DS & DS versions in that case.

Though your request of getting an item that helps out other players is a bit weird...

When I wasn't playing with the GamePad, all I could do was ask Ashley where I was (which caused him to crash every time :D ). When I used the GamePad, it wasn't convenient. It's pretty twitch gaming Mario Kart, that time it takes to look down, focus, then look back up is really inconvenient - especially when you want to do it often. It's fine on the DS/3DS because both screens are in you area of view - the TV and the GamePad is a completely different matter, though.

Honestly can't believe there isn't an option to put it on the screen, of if there is we didn't see it.

Also, why is that idea for an item weird? It's kind of boring being up front - anyone who does challenge you is going to come from the top three positions, which leaves 8/9 races who you have no interaction with. And with the horn item, Blue Shells aren't as big a deal as they use to be.

That sounds like a good fix for the problem.

I also read that up to two players can play online. Do the servers work already for this to be tested?

One last question, sorry. Is Toad still the best?

Yep, there was an option for 2-players to play online (FYI, split-screen is fantastic - it's one of those rare games where having the TV chopped in half isn't an issue - in fact, seeing what the other player is doing is a lot of fun, especially when they're trying to slipstream behind you and you drop a banana on them). Didn't have a chance to try it out because we were too busy unlocking all the races. :D

And no, Luigi is - and always has been - the best.

(Addendum - I use to always play as Wario but his handling felt a little wayward, might have just been my car selection, though.)

Edited by Daft
Automerged Doublepost

No map for anyone but the Gamepad user is plain stupid.

And yeah, that effect with the ink was cool, when you got a speed boost it flew away quickly.

The ink effect being blown away was only in the DS game though wasn't it? From what I recall, it wasn't in the Wii version (and 3DS? Not played it in ages)

Will check the map thing later to make sure I'm not spreading false information and get back to everyone, but couldn't see it yesterday.

The ink effect being blown away was only in the DS game though wasn't it? From what I recall, it wasn't in the Wii version (and 3DS? Not played it in ages)
In MK Wii I think it just slid off the screen, does the same in 7 but also fades out as well.

That's weird about the map being GamePad only. :blank:

I know it's the last thing you'll want to be doing at the moment, but did you check the manual? :heh:

Not sure if it comes with an electronic manual...but as you said it wasn't really my top priority last night :heh:

Not sure if it comes with an electronic manual...but as you said it wasn't really my top priority last night :heh:

All 3DS & Wii U games do...

Fair enough. Figured it probably would but I was too occupied.

QFT. That, or Funky Kong.

It's a shame the upload to YT feature isn't available until launch. @Daft had a great victory finish moment.

I also don't understand why it doesn't give you your time when you're racing. Or at the very least the split between you and other racers.

Dancing_Luigi_2_by_BroLuigi.gif

I also don't understand why it doesn't give you your time when you're racing. Or at the very least the split between you and other racers.
And this is the final, final, retail version of the game right?... because it sounds like obvious things have been overlooked.

And this is the final, final, retail version of the game right?... because it sounds like obvious things have been overlooked.

Yes.

Unless we get a day-one patch.

Ask @Ashley if it is. I think it is. I just did a Grand Prix now and it just tallies up points from what I can see.

Dancing_Luigi_2_by_BroLuigi.gif

I love how he celebrates in MK8. :D

EDIT: Seems like you're restricted to only one lap of the N64 Rainbow Road, which is really weird since it wasn't originally a point-to-point race and the finish line is also the start line.

Edited by Daft
Automerged Doublepost

Point to point races are the best IMO, it's basically 3 tracks in 1. Plus the start and finish of Mount Wario look fantastic.

The only thing they mentioned was the lack of YT upload, so I assume there's not going to be a day one patch (rather, that'll be switched on)

Point to point races are the best IMO, it's basically 3 tracks in 1. Plus the start and finish of Mount Wario look fantastic.

I don't think he's saying point-to-point is bad, but Nintendo has it as a 3 lap race when it's not. It's odd, rather than a problem.

N64 Rainbow Road has been split into 3 sections, so you only do one full lap.

To those that have played the game (if you are allowed to say) do you have access to all of the characters we have seen from the start of the game or are they unlocked by completing cups?

Have you guys unlocked any characters, by completing cups?

What about kart parts? All unlocked at the start?

To those that have played the game (if you are allowed to say) do you have access to all of the characters we have seen from the start of the game or are they unlocked by completing cups?

Have you guys unlocked any characters, by completing cups?

What about kart parts? All unlocked at the start?

I read that...

The coin amounts unlock parts for the karts.

Characters are primarily unlocked by completing cups.

Sign in to follow this