NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Mario Kart 8 |OT| [SPOILERS]

Or would they be saying, those same characters agaaain? "Why not try something new and different Nintendo?" etc

Personally I would have groaned at Diddy and Bowser Jr. The Koopa Kids are a great addition IMO.

You'd take Baby Rosalina, Metal Mario and Peach over the likes of Diddy Kong?... Edited by Retro_Link

Not necessarily, I just think let's give them a bit of credit for introducing a few new characters.

The koopa kids are a great addition, I wasn't convinced. Ed at first, but now think they're really good. Surely there'll be secret ones! Though the screen looks pretty filled already...

Not necessarily, I just think let's give them a bit of credit for introducing a few new characters.
Ok well we have very different definitions of what constitutes a new character then :p

To me these are skins, they are what happens to Mario when he puts on the Metal Cap, it's still Mario. In the past being able to race as a gold version of any character you want would have been a reward for achieving something in a game, now it's just a separate character.

This is like when in a co-op game you play as the same character as one another, it doesn't feel right.

When clone characters take up spaces in Smash it's a bit disappointing... to me this is more of a waste.

Btw I didn't like Dry Bowser for the same reason, this isn't just about this game.

Edited by Retro_Link

The Koopa kids are a great addition. Gold Peach though?

Gold Peach though?

Probably the worst character inclusion in video game history.

@\*Hero\-of\-Time comment.*[/b][/i]
Phenomenal. :awesome:

I can't listen to this soundtrack without continuous shivers up and down my spine, it's just amazing. :yay:

The fusion of electronic and classical is so so good, and I'm actually in love with that distorted synth on the Electrodrome track. :love:

Biggest disappointment is how they've handled SNES Donut Plains. Nowhere near enough percussion and removing the Samba whistle is absolute sacrilege! :shakehead The Hammond organ on it is great, but it could have been so much better. Even that can't stop this soundtrack from being incredible though.

Then there's the title theme...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Which is just ridiculously good. icon14.gif

That Jazz-Funk rendition of the Super Mario Kart theme @1:03 is perfection. :love::love::love::love:

You'd take Baby Rosalina, Metal Mario and Peach over the likes of Diddy Kong?...

Yes. Obviously means this must be coming instead...

h087E9186

Also - as others have said, hidden characters ala Funky in MK Wii

The Jazzaliscious soundtrack of this sounds superb. @RedShell

JOIN ME IN A MARIO KART ORGY OF JAZZ...

ron-burgandy-jazz-flute-o.gif

Edited by tapedeck

Awwww yiss!

Mp2wxnjl.jpg

Got vampire eyes, I want to play it that much.

Awwww yiss!

My eyes! : peace: Enjoy!

MarioKart.gif

Awwww yiss!

Mp2wxnjl.jpg

tumblr_mysk5veP3J1qzp9weo2_r1_250.gif

Hrmmph :(

Enjoy it, you lucky git :p

Edited by Serebii

Well I took advantage of the deal on a Tesco and ordered a Wii U with Mario Kart 8 for my brother, after voucher codes plus staff discount it came to £179.10 so it's by far the best price for it currently plus it falls under the 'pre-order price promise' so if the price changes it doesn't matter - all paid for now anyway - which is reassuring. : peace:

Really I think the only thing which will happen is that the price will go up between now and the end of the month as I just checked on ShopTo and the same bundle is £239.99 so I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase even if it is a month in advance. :)

One thing is for sure, there will be plenty of Mario Kart played in this house in the run-up to E3 2014, it's almost perfect timing too as hopefully we should finally be getting BT Infinity a week before MK8 comes out - on really slow less than 1.4mb Broadband currently - so I genuinely can't wait, it'll be so worth it when the end of the month arrives. :D

Thanks again to @Mr\-Paul for the heads-up on the deal. :)

I really don't think we needed a second thread for this game, just confuses things. Anywho here's my post from the other one...

That battle mode looks terrible IMO. Two player battle mode, neither person will want to be in the lead and instead just hang back around the item blocks. I'm dreading it will be like MKWii and only make 2 player battle mode possible with 6 CPU characters. What an f-ing joke if that's the case. Just let me play against 1-3 mates in an arena environment. Simple.

Battle Mode sucks, IMO (Srsly, no Battle Arenas? WTF?). The rest of the game, bar a couple weak tracks, is just the best Mario Kart ever. Just ran through all 8 cups.

This isn't a criticism, it's more an idea, but when you're in first place ('First Place Problems') you tend to get the useless coin power-up a lot. It's almost literally useless because it isn't hard to get the maximum 10 coins. It would be nice if there were power-ups you got that helped people at the back of the race. So maybe you have to avoid pick ups in first place or it becomes a risk - do you get a power up that helps you (like a shell or a banana) or do you end up helping the pack catch up to you?

EDIT: Also, the lack of a racing map on screen is SUPER annoying. You have no idea who's creeping up on you of how far ahead of the person in second place.

Edited by Daft

Rainbow Road looked a little disappointing/boring in the Direct IMO, is it any good?

It looks amazing and it's a great track. But it isn't hard like the old Rainbow Roads...or I've gotten much better at MK. I fell off once and that was on my first lap and I was being stupid.

Also, it does this weird thing on a couple of the tracks (including the N64 Rainbow Road track) where it's a point to point race; even though it says it's three laps it's actually just one.

Battle Mode sucks, IMO (Srsly, no Battle Arenas? WTF?). The rest of the game, bar a couple weak tracks, is just the best Mario Kart ever. Just ran through all 8 cups.

This isn't a criticism, it's more an idea, but when you're in first place ('First Place Problems') you tend to get the useless coin power-up a lot. It's almost literally useless because it isn't hard to get the maximum 10 coins. It would be nice if there were power-ups you got that helped people at the back of the race. So maybe you have to avoid pick ups in first place or it becomes a risk - do you get a power up that helps you (like a shell or a banana) or do you end up helping the pack catch up to you?

EDIT: Also, the lack of a racing map on screen is SUPER annoying. You have no idea who's creeping up on you of how far ahead of the person in second place.

Isn't the map on the GamePad? No different to the 3DS & DS versions in that case.

Though your request of getting an item that helps out other players is a bit weird...

Edited by Serebii

It's on the GamePad but nowhere else. Which disadvantages everyone else, but in truth you barely have time to look at the screen and when you do you can easily end up making mistakes (trust me!).

It's on the GamePad but nowhere else. Which disadvantages everyone else, but in truth you barely have time to look at the screen and when you do you can easily end up making mistakes (trust me!).

I don't get that. You have to look away from the screen in the DS & 3DS versions, too. I always managed it.

But I digress, I haven't played the game yet so I can't judge. We'll talk about this at the end of the month :p

Thanks for the details and impressions. Sounds like the game is really cool.

There should at least be an option to throw the overall map on the main screen. Kinda unfair only the gamepad player gets to steal a glance.

I guess in theory the gamepad could be stood up near the TV and everyone could play with separate controllers? That has to be an option, right?

I also read that up to two players can play online. Do the servers work already for this to be tested?

One last question, sorry. Is Toad still the best?

Edited by Guy

Isn't the map on the GamePad? No different to the 3DS & DS versions in that case.

You can look between DS/3DS screens almost instantly, but with the gamepad you have to look down, which takes longer.

Sign in to follow this