NEurope
Cube

Nintendo Direct - Tuesday 8th at 11pm

Yeah, this is the most puzzling part. The Wii U has been getting flak from all sides for ages now and you would have thought that it would have had priority over the 3DS version. Also, if they had Mario Kart in May and then this in Summer that would have helped keep the momentum going, something which the console has really struggled to do.

I'm sure there will be something in the Summer but I doubt it will be anything to the level of Smash Bros.

Ah, but conversely. If Mario Kart & Smash Bros are both heavy hitters in the summer, then what would Nintendo have for the massive holiday period?

Yeah, this is the most puzzling part. The Wii U has been getting flak from all sides for ages now and you would have thought that it would have had priority over the 3DS version. Also, if they had Mario Kart in May and then this in Summer that would have helped keep the momentum going, something which the console has really struggled to do.

I'm sure there will be something in the Summer but I doubt it will be anything to the level of Smash Bros.

It could just be that they're spending more time polishing certain aspects of the Wii U version. Maybe it's own single player modes or online still needs a bit of work.

Imo, it's not a bad thing spreading out the releases. I wouldn't be able to afford both games at once and I'm sure if they had planned to release both on the same game, gamers would have grumbled about having to choose. At least this way, you can still afford to get both. Maybe even Smash as a Christmas present.

I wonder if they had released the handheld game second whether it would be seen as an inferior product or an afterthought. Who knows? Either way, I don't think it's terrible the way that they've done it. I would have preferred the releases slightly closer together. But, as long as we get both in 2014, all is good.

I'm curious to see if the GamePad is going to have any special features.

It's not a matter of the Wii U game getting "delayed" though, since most reasonable people expected it to hit around November at best anyway , but rather that the 3DS game is coming far sooner than anyone expected!

Namco are a production powerhouse! :o Me thinks that Nintendo will be keeping them on speed dial when it comes to future art asset and programming manpower requirements!

Ah, but conversely. If Mario Kart & Smash Bros are both heavy hitters in the summer, then what would Nintendo have for the massive holiday period?

Probably sod all given how long it's taking them to get games out. :D

On the other hand though you need to keep momentum going. Having Mario Kart in May and then Smash in Nov/Dec isn't going to do that. As if said, there will be games in between but I figure none will drive sales like Smash.

You then have the issue of the 3DS version giving people their Smash fix. Many won't double dip and could be all burnt out by the time the console version arrives, leaving the Wii U version with less sales than it could have got.

It's not a matter of the Wii U game getting "delayed" though, since most reasonable people expected it to hit around November at best anyway , but rather that the 3DS game is coming far sooner than anyone expected!

If there was no 3DS version then the team could be focused on one game. As I mentioned, I would have thought the Wii U version would have been the one to be pushed out the door first given the state of its sales. By having the 3DS version arrive first you are giving people another reason NOT to buy a Wii U.

Mario 3D World was announced in June and released in November, DKTP for all intents and purposes would have been the same. You can bet on one or two first party titles shown off at E3 and out by the end of the year.

how about because Nintendo owns the bloody Pokémon franchise and not GTA.

I thought Nintendo only part-owned Pokémon?

I think the 3DS version is getting released earlier because the Wii U's modes take longer to make.

Probably sod all given how long it's taking them to get games out. :D

On the other hand though you need to keep momentum going. Having Mario Kart in May and then Smash in Nov/Dec isn't going to do that. As if said, there will be games in between but I figure none will drive sales like Smash.

You then have the issue of the 3DS version giving people their Smash fix. Many won't double dip and could be all burnt out by the time the console version arrives, leaving the Wii U version with less sales than it could have got.

On GAF yesterday, I did a list of what all EAD Studios are doing and almost all of them have been silent since their last releases.

Something is coming. We'll have stuff at E3 for this year

I do agree that it should have been the other way round though.

Mario 3D World was announced in June and released in November, DKTP for all intents and purposes would have been the same. You can bet on one or two first party titles shown off at E3 and out by the end of the year.

Again, not saying there wont be but I don't any will push units like Smash would have, especially if this is their big game. Unless X or Zelda hit I can't see it. I mean we've had Retros game and the big Mario game arrived last year, so both of these teams aren't going to be pulling anything out anytime soon.

On GAF yesterday, I did a list of what all EAD Studios are doing and almost all of them have been silent since their last releases.

Something is coming. We'll have stuff at E3 for this year

I do agree that it should have been the other way round though.

Again, I never said that we wouldn't.

People thinking it was MewTwo, haha.

As someone who only acknowledges the first 151 (plus Togepi), I also assumed it was Mewtwo at first.

They clearly weren't paying attention. You can see the water shuriken there...

As someone who only acknowledges the first 151 (plus Togepi), I also assumed it was Mewtwo at first.

And Ho-oh! Maybe.

The 3DS and Wii U games are completely separate games that happen to share characters and link together (not unlike the Zelda Oracle games on GBC). They're not just two different versions of the same game like a typical multiplatform title.

It's just a matter of the 3DS game being ready for release sooner than the Wii U one. Not unsurprising, considering the additional manpower requirements for a HD game. What I and many others were expecting was to see staff pulled off the 3DS game in order to get the Wii U one out quicker. The fact that this hasn't happened is what is surprising! (Nor did I think they could get the 3DS one out so early and still get the Wii U game out within 2014. I severely underestimated Namco/Nintendo!)

Ah, my bad. I thought they were the same game across both platforms.

Do they have cross-play?

Lol @ those reactions.

People thinking it was MewTwo, haha.

At first glimpse, he looked grey and we saw his hands, which looked like Mewtwo hands. One he started generating, you could see it was a Water Shuriken.

Sakurai knew damn well what he was doing. He's an evil man :p

At first glimpse, he looked grey and we saw his hands, which looked like Mewtwo hands. One he started generating, you could see it was a Water Shuriken.

Dude is a genius. His best troll was with Ridley though. :D

He sure is!

That Zero Suit Samus reveal is testiment to that.

He so knows the power the Smash franchise holds over our fragile minds.

Edited by Fused King

Dude is a genius. His best troll was with Ridley though. :D

Pseudo-Palutena too

He was on full troll mode yesterday. I thought it was Mewtwo, got me good with ZSS as well.

Do they have cross-play?

Nope. No cross-play. Sakurai confirmed this last year.

All we know is that there will be some interaction between both, but to what it covers, how they'll connect, and to what degree we don't know.

In last night's Direct Sakurai said that this will be explained later on.

As for no show, I have no idea how you reach this conclusion. For you to think that you either think they're just pushing it back for pushing to give the 3ds the limelight, or putting more resources into the 3ds version. Both are every strange conclusions. I just think it's as simple as the 3ds version is more insole to make, and the opposite of what say in that they want the Wii u version to be as incredible as it can possibly so giving it more time.

Genuinely curious what that was meant to say, as until I know I'm going to assume you're putting games in your shoes :p

I have to assume you're attempting to troll me. Perhaps I was too hasty in removing you from my ignore list.

Not everything is about you...

Nope. No cross-play. Sakurai confirmed this last year.

All we know is that there will be some interaction between both, but to what it covers, how they'll connect, and to what degree we don't know.

In last night's Direct Sakurai said that this will be explained later on.

Sakurai said before custom movesets will transfer.

Edited by Ike
Less ambiguous.

But why can't you have custom moves in online fights with random people? Kind of defeats the whole point of having them...