NEurope
Cube

Nintendo Direct - Tuesday 8th at 11pm

Overall, I was very happy with the Direct. Had enough reveals to make it awesome. Though I'd have preferred, for Nintendo's sake, for the release dates to be switched, it's understandable that the Wii U one would need more polish. Hopefully it has a Wii U exclusive feature to lure people in. The online sure does seem more Wii U focused.

Am intrigued about how he has split off Sheik from Zelda and ZeroSuit Samus from Samus, and Charizard from Pokémon Trainer.

Oh, and Greninja is badass :p

So there's still more to come? What do people think of the chances of at least one more new character from the following: Fire Emblem, Golden Sun or Xenoblade?

Fire Emblem? No doubt Chrom is in. Can't be so sure for other characters, not even Ike.

Golden Sun and Xenoblade, I sure hope so. The fact that these characters didn't show as being Assist Trophies is a good sign, at least.

I would be surprised if Greninja was the last newcomer, at any rate. Dude was incredibly unexpected, shot down pretty much every roster leak we've seen so far.

Who's to say that Sakurai will reveal all the characters?

I think DCubed was talking more about how the 3DS version will have the same roster, meaning everyone will know the full Wii U roster before release.

Overall, I was very happy with the Direct. Had enough reveals to make it awesome. Though I'd have preferred, for Nintendo's sake, for the release dates to be switched, it's understandable that the Wii U one would need more polish. Hopefully it has a Wii U exclusive feature to lure people in. The online sure does seem more Wii U focused.

Am intrigued about how he has split off Sheik from Zelda and ZeroSuit Samus from Samus, and Charizard from Pokémon Trainer.

Oh, and Greninja is badass :p

Totally agree with the dates need switching. Many will buy the 3DS version, as its out first. All the characters will then be revealed as they are supposed to be the same for each version. The Wii U version is going to need a big hook to get the majority of people to double dip. Hopefully the link up features will be something substantial.

The Greninja reveal is what broke Gaf. :D

Got the press kit last night, native 1080 screenshots. The game looks beautiful

It's gonna be weird knowing the entire character roster (including hidden characters) months in advance of the Wii U game's release...

I wonder if they have any plans to rectify this?

I'd need to double check, but I'm sure that he said that all characters announced so far are in both versions. They key words being "so far".

Think there could be a new game announcement to soften the blow of a delay. Looking forward to it either way, hopefully right after Chelsea get dumped out of the Champions League.

DOH!!!!!!!

Has it been confirmed that Samurai Goroh from F Zero is an assist trophy again? I don't remember it being revealed yet but noticed that if you watch the Direct again, at around the 2.20 mark, you can see him make his appearance and go to town on Pit on the Rainbow Road stage.

Was also disappointed seeing Saki as an assist trophy again. Was hoping that there'd be some Sin & Punishment representation on the actual playable roster. Could still happen but doubt it highly now.

Still, a pretty decent Direct. Release dates are probably how I'd have thought they'd handle it. The character reveals could have been a little bit better but there were really two points that made up for it:

- MegaMan's final smash; and

- The Villager's final smash

That last point was brilliant. Genius idea for the Villager's final smash. :laughing:

I'd need to double check, but I'm sure that he said that all characters announced so far are in both versions. They key words being "so far".

Sakurai has said multiple times the rosters were going to be the same, though.

We also got some Namco representation in the items. An enemy from Galaga and a flag from the arcade games.

We also got some Namco representation in the items. An enemy from Galaga and a flag from the arcade games.

Yeah I saw those. They look pretty clever. Nice to see that Namco got some representation here; even if one of their characters don't end up making it in. They've done a great job in terms of grunt work (graphics engine, art asset creation etc)!

Got the press kit last night, native 1080 screenshots. The game looks beautiful

Bitmaps though. Stop it Nintendo! :heh:

Bitmaps though. Stop it Nintendo! :heh:

Indeed. They could have uncompressed pics another way.

I think I'm more excited for the 3DS version so glad that's coming first. Nice to hear it has online as well.

Super glad ZSS is her own character now, I liked playing as her but not FSS (Full Suit Samus). :p

I honestly thought that was Mewtwo at the end, but nope! Certainly an interesting choice.

Tell that to Josh from the BitBlock.

DebLOE2.png

I'm surprised to hear that from him to be honest.

I think I'm more excited for the 3DS version so glad that's coming first. Nice to hear it has online as well.

Super glad ZSS is her own character now, I liked playing as her but not FSS (Full Suit Samus). :p

I honestly thought that was Mewtwo at the end, but nope! Certainly an interesting choice.

I'm surprised to hear that from him to be honest.

Seen so many people moaning that Pokémon is too over-represented now -_-

It's almost as if it's the second most popular video game franchise of all time. Shocking! Only has four reps at the moment.

i really loved this ND, i saw some new movesets for link in the video cant wait to see more from this game.

I will buy the 3ds first and then in the winter the WiiU version.

Seen so many people moaning that Pokémon is too over-represented now -_-

It's almost as if it's the second most popular video game franchise of all time. Shocking! Only has four reps at the moment.

Well, I see the Charizard fan service continues into Smash. ;)

They all seem to play differently so it's not really an issue for me, but there are 4 (5 if Jigglypuff is back) playable Pokemon characters now so I can see where they are coming from. :p

Not to mention all the Pokeball Pokemon :p

Seems unlikely Pichu will be included now, Lucario and Mewtwo would also probably turned out to be clones so that's probably why they went with Greninja.

They all seem to play differently so it's not really an issue for me, but there are 4 (5 if Jigglypuff is back) playable Pokemon characters now so I can see where they are coming from. :p

Seems unlikely Pichu will be included now, Lucario and Mewtwo would also probably turned out to be clones so that's probably why they went with Greninja.

Aside from the charging energy ball, Lucario and Mewtwo are totally different.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo still makes it.

That was an awesome direct it had all we need for a good tease! lots of awesome new characters, it looks beautiful, the release dates are good (but should be switched)

People think thats the final roster?

tumblr_lvtg6aCaBR1qaqbw1_zps4a8e1c47.gif

I wonder if @Wii's head exploded when they said Winter 2014. "But, but... that was months ago!"

There was a thread on Gaf just the other week with people kicking off how we are getting Charizard shoved down our throat. That topic immediately got bumped when this announcement happened. :D

I really hope there are no more Pokemon in the game. They already have 4 now and as you said, a bunch of other ones from the Pokeballs. Just seems a little overkill if they added anymore, especially as there are other Nintendo characters that could fill a spot. If they want Pokemon to fight then give them their own game to do it in, like that rumoured Pokken.

Even 4 is too many, it's meant to be the breath of Nintendo, not 30% Pokemon and then the rest! 2 tops and the pokeballs is still huge representation!

This ninja caught me by surprise, but damn is he epic.

8ce6n0C.jpg

Super glad ZSS is her own character now, I liked playing as her but not FSS (Full Suit Samus).

Likewise, but unlike you, I didn't enjoy using Samus/ZSS at all so I gave up on her, but I'm a big fan of the changes they made to her character and now she's going to join my team.

She's a badass inside a badass.

qya5lFr.jpg

Even 4 is too many, it's meant to be the breath of Nintendo, not 30% Pokemon and then the rest! 2 tops and the pokeballs is still huge representation!
4/30 revealed. That = 13%, not 30% :P