NEurope
The Elder Scrolls Online

We're talking about in the PC thread.

My character

V5uHrZS.jpg

I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm taking it slowly and I'm pretty sure I'll get my moneys worth if I only stick with it for a month. I expect it will entertain me beyond that, though. For me, this seems to be a pretty ideal balance between an MMO and singleplayer game.

I'd buy it if it wasn't for the subscription model on top of a $60 game. I'll wait for it to go free to play we all know somewhere in their business model they are set up to do it at some point.

I was having a chat in GAME today with some of the staff who were setting up promotion stands, they don't like the subscription service to play this each month (after paying the price for the game on top) either, and that they'll be (like me) sticking to Oblivion/Skyrim for their Elder Scrolls fix.

I don't like the whole sub model they've got in place for this. I was reading an article earlier this week, saying the sub was set-up as a mutual agreement between the makers and publishers. It's bound to be free-to-play soon enough, it's inevitable as many people just don't agree with the sub either.

To be honest, from the games I've played in the past sub games tend to be better maintained with more stuff coming to them. Not only that, games like Guild Wars 2 essentially let you buy in game money (I kid you not) using gems, which you buy with real cash.

I don't want to pay a sub or play most MMORPGs in general, but that's just an observation.

To be honest, from the games I've played in the past sub games tend to be better maintained with more stuff coming to them. Not only that, games like Guild Wars 2 essentially let you buy in game money (I kid you not) using gems, which you buy with real cash.

I don't want to pay a sub or play most MMORPGs in general, but that's just an observation.

I get what you mean....

Wasn't Guild Wars a boxed product (download) you paid X amount for though and no sub afterwards it was what it was? Didn't realise it had microtransactions.

I don't have problems with subs in principle, you are effectively paying for continued development and sustainability of the game. Part of the reason I have no problem with online passes is it's an alternative revenue stream to keep online games going. The price is more the sticking point, it's expensive. I mean I don't know the math but maybe if the sub was any lower they really would lose too much money. I'm sure they've worked out what they can away with charging for x amount of months.

I'd look at Old Republic (really need to get back to this) and Star Trek Online as great examples of f2p mmo's that get regular and large content updates.

Personally for me I'd rather pay regular for the boxed product and get a longer subscription say give me 6 months or something. Or boxed product no subscription and give me compelling reasons to pump my more cash in.

Game companies seem to have a real problem with giving the customer value added..It still baffles me that Microsoft never gave away a much longer free trial of XBL with either the 360 or the One as a way of adding value and potentially getting it's hooks into new customers.

Edited by flameboy

I don't mind paying a monthly sub as long as the game gets regular updates. I played FFXI for 8 years at £9 a month!

I don't mind paying a monthly sub as long as the game gets regular updates. I played FFXI for 8 years at £9 a month!

That's almost £900. Personally I find that idea ridiculous.

You could buy 20+ release games for that.

I'm still in the first major area (after the two starting regions), finding new places, discovering quests and doing them is a lot of fun.

I decided to focus on sommoning, so here's my crew so far

qkbF3G8.jpg

Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited comes out properly tomorrow without the subscription. Got my PS4 copy already and the EU servers have gone online a day early so creating my character now!

Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited comes out properly tomorrow without the subscription. Got my PS4 copy already and the EU servers have gone online a day early so creating my character now!

Have been thinking about getting it for weeks now...would gladly read some impressions of yours : peace:

First impressions are pretty good I think. Its obvious going to feel like a worse version of Skyrim but as long as you arent expecting that much then people should be happy enough. It certainly feels enough like Skyrim in first person that I'm still weirded out having loads of actual people running and jumping around! lol

I've decided to go the magic route again so we'll see how that goes. In Skyrim I went one hand sword, one hand magic but this time I think I'm gonna commit whole hog.

CG_JIuWW0AI4Un_.jpg:orig

Had the game for less than a week. Two updates of 15gb each which took over a day each to dl and install, and now... Level 12, bored. I don't know why, but it has not grabbed me like I expected it to. Very slow going, very limited storage space and very very samey quests.

I wanted to love it, I might give it another chance. But as it stands, level 12 and I'm done.

Thankfully they've apologised for that second 15gb patch and said it wont happen again. Apparently the actual patch was only 500 megs but they decided to stick it in the original day one patch and make everyone download the entire thing again!

Yeah I saw that! Idiots... I was reading up and may try again and respec the character.

I have been spoilt by FFXI and FFXIV with changing jobs and levelling multiple crafts on the same character. It feels very restrictive having a limited amount of skill points to spread around so many different crafts and traits.

Anyone playing this nowadays?

They had a free weekend and i enjoyed it. I understand there There have been tons of updates. Its on sale in the PSN sale too.