NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Eurogamer Expo 2014

http://www.eurogamerexpo.com/

So tickets for this years Eurogamer Expo have gone on sale from today. Not much has been revelaed about what's going to be on so far, though I expect we'll hear more after E3. Should be good with the new generation of consoles out though.

Anyone thinking about going to this? I'm certainly tempted, but don't know if I can spare £60, as I'm saving for my PS4 (although for all 4 days with early entry, that's still good value!)

(Note to mods: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it. Feel free to move it, if it needs to be elsewhere...)

I would love to go, even if it's just for a day, but i'm up in the North East and getting down there would be a hassle and probably expensive.

Live in London but not going to go this year. I cant deal with the queues.

Going for the fourth year running. Have tickets to go with friends on the Saturday. It's really very cheap if you are a Virgin Media customer. Stupidly cheap for what you get.

I also bought a couple of extra tickets for the Sunday in case I feel I haven't seen everything I wanted to.

There's a lot to get through in just a day. Last year, I had Virgin Media early entry so was there from 10.00 - 19.00. Once you've knocked out a few hours spent in the big queues (last year PS4, XBox One and Oculus Rift were obvious biggies) and set aside time to have a couple of screen/queue breaks (the board game section provides some respite), that doesn't leave you with heaps of time to get round everything else.

The indie sections get better each year with the chance to try out alpha and beta versions of iOS, Android and PC games. You'll see lots of stuff that eventually makes an appearance on Steam, such as Prison Architect (they've had a presence at Eurogamer for a couple of years running so you can see the evolution of the game over time). There's the opportunity to speak to the devs of some of the games too, so it's a real antidote to the big boy stands.

The retro section is also a lot of fun and there's usually lots of hardware - PCs, gaming mice etc. to try out.

The queues can be a pain but the 10.00 early entry tickets do help and meant we got a good head start on the PS4 stand last year. We had that done by 11.00. We also used the Oculus Rift queue to do a lunch relay, which helped to kill some of the time.

I was tempted to get a 4-day ticket but my head was spinning after a day last year so I'm not sure I could take 4 days of solid gaming :D.

It's a shame to hear about all the queuing, otherwise I might have gone. I really can't stand queuing.

It's inevitable for the major games and console/peripheral launches. If you aren't so bothered by those things (and that may be less of a feature this year now that PS4 and XBox One have launched), you can quite happily spend the day playing games that don't require you to queue much. I also can't stand long queues but have never found it a big problem tbh. They do make the effort to have a huge number of stations for the huge games. Oculus Rift is about the only queue that really tested my patience and that's because the game I ended up trying was a bit meh and the picture was blurry.

Next year, the event moves from Earl's Court to Excel so they'll have even more space then. That may mean more stations for the biggest games and with any luck fewer queues.

I should also add that, on the whole, it's a very friendly event with a diverse range of gamers. As a female gamer who is pushing 40, I thought I might be slightly outside the demographic for this type of show! However, there are loads of older folks (guys and girls) at this event and plenty of people who are willing to strike up a conversation in a queue or over a game.

I don't work for Eurogamer honest. I just think the event is great value for what you get.

Ok I wasn't really considering this but just checking out the virginmedia discount @gekko mentioned I'm tempted - £9 for an early entry ticket on any day! I've never been to EuroGamer or any sort of gaming con before; though I've always kinda wanted to. If I rope in a few folks then maybe I'll make a trip this year! The fact it has a tabletop/board game aspect to it now too intrigues me...how big/extensive was it last year @gekko? What sort of stuff did they have that you remember?

Edited by Rummy

They had people from Esdevium there so games from their catalogue featured heavily - http://www.esdeviumgames.com/catalogue-2014/.

There were several tables with games set up and staff on hand to get people involved and guide newbies through the rules. I only played Discworld but it was a great way to take a screen break and get chatting to some folks.

I think 2013 was the first year for board games, but I think it will be continuing this year.

Yeah the con's site mentioned Esdevium - already own/have access to some of the games mentioned so looking for something to help diversify the collection really! Seems they are a major distributor for a number of publishers - despite having Rio Grande on there they don't have my favourite tabletop game which got me more into it! Le sadness. I'm gonna look to pick up some saturday tickets depending on the decisions of my friends/who I can rope in. Queues do put me off somewhat, but I've always wanted to go to a con and have never been, so I might stomach it for this.

EDIT: Wow, did not realise how fast this'd sell out. Maybe I won't make it this year after all!

Edited by Rummy

I went to last year's one and really enjoyed it, but bear in mind I spent 80% of time in the Nintendo booth and didn't actually bother queuing for PS4/XBO/Oculus. Still, it seemed to be pretty well organised, with lots to do. The Streetpass zone was also great for chilling out. I'd definitely recommend it.

Hoping Zelda U will be playable at this year's one.

Sign in to follow this