NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

You should try Oculus with some Nintendo games. I've played F-Zero GX and Wind Waker (albeit briefly) with VR and they are both incredible <3

When I tried Oculus last, I got a bit of a headache. I can imagine F-Zero would cause my eyes to bleed :p

Pre-orders are up on Amazon. I just got mine.

Yeah I got mine as well. I'll probably get rid of my GAME one.

Awesome news. Ordered.

I'm off to a Nokia event tomorrow for their new VR camera, can't wait to try out VR for the first time I"m expecting to be blown away...

Also, those stats mean nothing to me. How good is this VR compared to the others?

Aaaaand they're gone.

[TWEET]710060518141202432[/TWEET]

Wow that price! well i think i should get one on order

EDIT@Daft fUCK my poor timing

Shopto and GAME still have them for preorder.

Maybe just amazon under-estimating allocation? I imagine that more will become available soon.

I imagine, like the PS4, as we get closer to launch the allocation for each retailer will continue to grow so I wouldn't be too worried.

I've read a preview that said the motion controls on the PSVR are atrocious compared to the competition.

But then £400 is a snip compared to Oculus/Vive, and they might come up with something better to control it with in the future.

I'll wait and see what happens when they're all released, I think.

Even though it's the more cost-sensible option, there's no way I'd pick the PS VR over the Vive in a million years. It won't come close to the quality of experience I enjoyed in the Vive demo.

I'm moving house soon, and I'm trying to think if there's some way I could have a bed that I can easily move out of the way :p So I can have my room as a big holodeck HTC Vive room from the start...

Although the built in wardrobes mean one of the walls is basically 100% mirror... wonder if that messes with the sensors [edit: sounds like it does, gonna need some kind of... wardrobe blinds!]

Edited by Shorty

I'm moving house soon, and I'm trying to think if there's some way I could have a bed that I can easily move out of the way :p So I can have my room as a big holodeck HTC Vive room from the start...

Get a Murphy bed!

Yeah that was the first thought that popped into my mind :p Problem is... I think that's too big a sacrifice on sleep quality.

Didn't you just buy a house? Shouldn't you have planned for this when you bought it? :heh:

Well my first thought was that I could use the garage, and set up some kind of... cart for taking my PC outside. But closing myself in the garage and then jumping around with a VR headset might freak the neighbours out....

Even though it's the more cost-sensible option, there's no way I'd pick the PS VR over the Vive in a million years. It won't come close to the quality of experience I enjoyed in the Vive demo.

Really? Why's that? How much would a 'good enough' PC cost?

Well my first thought was that I could use the garage, and set up some kind of... cart for taking my PC outside. But closing myself in the garage and then jumping around with a VR headset might freak the neighbours out....

Sleep in the garage, game in the bedroom. Sorted.

Really? Why's that? How much would a 'good enough' PC cost?

Well, I already have a PS4.

Upgrading my system to something I'd be happy with (from a system 5-6 years old and a low-mid range graphics card 3 years old) would be, at a guess, for new mobo, new gpu, new cooling, faster RAM... I'd probably need to spend £450-600.

Camera sales up almost 1000% on Amazon.

PlayStation VR's release date announcement overnight has led to a huge rise in sales for its required camera accessory.

Sony announced a £349 price for PlayStation VR last night, though this price doesn't include the required PlayStation Camera or any optional Move controllers – PS4's DualShock is good enough for a VR experience.

On Amazon, sales of the PlayStation Camera are up 975 per cent, seeing its sales rank jump from No.215 to No.20. Amazon sells the camera for £39.

Similarly, the PS VR compatible Move Controller has seen its sales rise by 305 per cent, and a PS4 Camera Stand is also up by 243 per cent.

The thirst is real.

I did almost buy the camera last night but I figured I'd have plenty of chances between now and October even if it does get this initial sales spike.

Interesting quote from Ubisoft's Olivieri Palmieri who is working on Eagle Flight

"The cost of [VR] is high, yes, but in terms of experience, it's something that anyone can play. It could be the next Wii."

The article goes on to state:

But Palmieri maintains that VR headsets' ability to easily read head movement as input ensure VR developers can circumvent the accessibility barrier that gamepads represent for people who have never played games before... "It's intuitive and accessible. I don't need to explain the controls at the beginning, really; I just say 'tilt your head to turn' and you're good to go."

Source

He also discusses the work they've done to try and overcome potential dizziness/nausea while playing it.