NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

I'm considering buying a Rift... although I know I will also need significant computer upgrades.

Is it worth buying having if you don't have room to bother with sensors?

@Shorty

Well, I think the experience justifies it. I don't have the room for VR, but I've gone and bought the Rift+Touch+3rd sensor anyhow. It's pretty neat even if you can't move in full roomscale. I have about 1x2 meter to move in, and I can't crouch at all. Even so I have a great VR-experience in H3VR, The Lab, Elite Dangerous, Bigscreen Beta, Batman Arkham VR, Onward, Windlands and Robo Recall (Seriously, get Robo Recall. Best VR game to date!). Let me know if you take the plunge. 

And at the low price it is now, it's a god damn steal!

Edited by ArtMediocre

Well, that just sucks. I hope they get some more stock before the sale ends. Good luck, keep us updated on the progress!

Well it came back in stock and I nabbed one! What must-have titles/experiences should I be checking out as soon as I'm set up?

• Like 1

@Shorty It depends on your preferences in gaming, really. But if you are a gun nut like me, get "Hot dogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades" from Steam Early Access. Really great shooting range game, and you can customise every weapon to your liking. 

For just great experiences overall, get these: Robo recall (Seriously, just get it. 80es shoot'em up), The Lab, Batman Arkham VR, Onward (think CoD, only with body controls. Check out some videos. Also the only VR esport game to this date) and Windlands.

Chronos and Lone Echo/Echo Arena is also supposed to be really great. Chronos is an 3rd person adventure, while Lone Echo is a FPS story driven game.

Also, nab Bigscreen Beta from Steam. It's the best desktop emulator out there. It's pretty great sitting in a huge movie theater and looking at 3D-movies with dynamic lightning. 

.....also, if you want to try a freakin insane horror game, get Dreadhalls. I hate that game. 

I think Robo Recall is part of 6 games bundled with the rift, but I'll wait and see. I might actually just stick with free experiences for a little while!

Pretty annoyed at myself right now. I didn't pick up a display port adapter. I had no idea modern graphics cards would have one HDMI and 3 display ports...

All my monitors are either HDMI or VGA, no dvi... and the card doesnt have vga obvs.

Tried going through the rift setup with Teamviewer but it wouldn't work, I think (or rather hope) Teamviewer itself was interfering.

So all this kit I've just acquired and I can't do anything til Amazon prime brings me a £5 adapter tomorrow.

First worldiest of problems I know but damn, that's frustrating.

On the plus side I have a beast of a PC now....

• Like 2

Yeah, I had the same problem too. It's so irritating that Displayport is the most common port on GPU's, while HDMI is the most common cable on other equipment. I hope you get the adapter today :). And congrats on the new, beefy PC ;D.

Holy shit, Robo Recall. This is mindblowing. Everyone should experience this.

• Like 2

What did I tell you! :D It's like stepping into one of those arcade shooter machines, and actually standing inside the virtual world. And the graphics and game mechanics are rad too!

Maximum-Force-Main.jpg

My jaw just dropped just from playing around in Google Earth VR last night. I know it's really not much more than the desktop version which is pretty much just a bumpy sattelite view but I was still in awe. I zoomed in on my home, then I looked up and around and felt like I got the layout of my city better than ever before, glancing all the way to the city centre then out to the countryside. So cool. And that first time you zoom right out....

My only concern right now is the cost barrier to other games.... I didn't really do my research, I just dove right in, and a lot of very short games/experiences like Batman are so expensive for what they are. Even though I know it's going to be incredible, I can't really justify that now.

Yeah, Google Earth VR is actually one of my favourite game/experience to show to friends the first time they test VR. It's easy to get into, and you can spend hours and it's awesome all the time! One of the first things my girlfriend did was to go and revisit every vacation she'd ever been to, and just "relive" the trip in VR. Pretty rad.

I can understand what you mean with the cost being an issue, but thankfully there are tons of free games/demos that are surprisingly deep and great! Just hit the Oculus Reddit board, there's a lot of good recommendations there. Something I find reassuring is that a lot of the games are on Steam. That means you will eventually get them for a cheaper price than what they cost now. There are Steam sales, and you have sites like allkeyshop.com that gives you the best discounts. So I think the price issue is fading away soon. 

Oculus Store on the other hand, that one is gonna sting for some time. I don't see them putting out serious sales for a long time. Kinda like the Nintendo eShop. 

VR's must-play game-changer finally revealed

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Glad I discovered bigscreen! Much better than steamvr. Not done anything special lately except watch Game of Thrones on a cinema size screen :D

• Like 1

It works pretty good with 3D-movies as well. I downloaded Rebel One: A Star Wars Story in 3D, and it worked great! Got pretty tired after one and a half hour, so I skipped a bit in the middle. But overall the cinema is great with the dynamic lightning effect :D. I like that you can sit where ever you want, and that there are exit signs as well. It really makes you feel like you're in an actual cinema :D. 

And if you haven't checked it out, see if you find Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades interesting.

Finally got round to getting Eagle Flight and really enjoyed what I played of it so far.  Only a few chapters in, but even just soaring around is a lot of fun.  A great VR experience.

VR's must-play game-changer finally revealed

Tried to do this whilst I was in Tokyo, but it was sold out. Mega-sad.

4 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

And it's confirmed

inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
Child of Light (PS4)
RIGS: Mechanised Combat League (PS4 bonus title – PS VR required)
That’s You (PS4 bonus title)
Truck Racer (PS3)
Handball 2016 (PS3)
We Are Doomed (PS Vita & PS4)
Hatoful Boyfriend (PS4 & PS Vita)

Nice to see PSVR getting some PS+ loving.  Would only be the one title here for me, already own SS, Child of Light and Hatoful Boyfriend.  That's You's been free for 3 months (and for those who got Lost Legacy (code in box)

Thought I'd quote Jimbob's post in here.  I've already got RIGS, but the more people who get to play it the better!  Just be careful as playing it for too long made me really really nauseous.

What's the word on the PSVR price drop, does anyone know how much it will be in the UK and will it come with the fucking camera. 

8 minutes ago, James said:

What's the word on the PSVR price drop, does anyone know how much it will be in the UK and will it come with the fucking camera. 

In America it's not getting an actual price drop, is it? It's just going to be coming with the camera and two move controllers. Arguably what it should have been sold as in the first place.

Edited by V. Amoleo
  • Like 2

The Oculus store is a bit of a shit show isn't it. You can't find half the titles you can on the web browser, and things you add through the web browser don't seem to show up right away (if at all) inside the app.

Well anyway I just tried a free title called Aircar, little more than an experience, but gave me my first feeling of really confusing my body, at times felt like I was falling!

I bought Farpoint yesterday and it's actually better than I expected it to be.  I mean, the environments are a bit sparse and some of the animations are just naff, but it's not a terrible game by a long stretch.  Did it get patched up a lot after release?

More interestingly it comes with a very nice PS Camera visualisation when you first boot it up.  If you've been following my rambling in this thread you'll probably have seen me moaning about how my PSVR drifts really bad.  Well this visualisation has helped me diagnose why.  It seems to be tracking only the bottom half of my head when I stand up and only the top half when I sit down.  I think I need to have the camera much higher up with a bigger angle down, rather than directly above the TV facing forward.  I did the best I could with the space I have at the minute and it seemed to help, over the weekend I'm going to look about moving in about 50cm higher.  The visualisation should be included on PSVR setup, rather than the optical camera based setup that we get.

Anyone tried to use PSVR on PC? Been eyeballing VR headsets for a few weeks now, thinking it's about time to make the purchase but I really don't like the fact that there isn't one that can just work with all platforms.