NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

With a high end PC you also get... a high end PC. It does a lot more than just play games.

1 hour ago, Jimbob said:

The stinger ATM outside of price is no backwards compatibility to older VR titles unless patched for free or a small fee.

I shouldn't be surprised given Playstation's terrible history with backwards compatibility but I still somehow am. That's just crazy. How to cripple an already niche/unpopular platform from day 1.

With a high end PC you also get... a high end PC. It does a lot more than just play games.

But it costs significantly more. Probably £1.2k at least for a high-end PC that runs VR at high settings, then £500+ on top for a standard VR model (even then likely outspecced by PSVR2). Valve Index costs £920. So you could even be paying more than double for that high end PC VR setup than PSVR2.

Suddenly PSVR2 looks good value - albeit not mainstream priced. Factor in that many people either have or intend to acquire a PS5 anyway and you can basically cross the console off the cost of the VR setup. Not so with a PC VR setup - unless you upgraded very recently and went high on specs, most people will need to upgrade some parts for VR at good quality to be viable.

I shouldn't be surprised given Playstation's terrible history with backwards compatibility but I still somehow am. That's just crazy. How to cripple an already niche/unpopular platform from day 1.

I doubt it will have much effect in the grand scheme of things, people generally don't buy new systems to play old games. Certainly didn't stop the Switch taking off. What will make the difference is how well Sony support it with new software, and how good the tech works. PSVR1 was rather low spec and that didn't help it - so I can totally see why they're focused on making a more premium product this time.

Also you are wrong on PlayStation's "terrible history of BC". Aside from the PS4 every sequel home console they made has had backwards compatibility.

PS2 could play PS1, PS3 could play PS1 and PS2 (latter was better in the US, and launch model only), and PS5 can play PS4. Only PS4 has no BC.

Meanwhile the SNES, N64, GameCube and Switch have no BC. And if you're going to cite the different media in use, if Nintendo wanted to they could have still allowed Switch to play Wii U games digitally, or release an optional external disc drive. Instead they would rather sell the games again on Switch. Microsoft are doing it best, but Nintendo are doing it worst.

• Like 1

Not surprised by the price tag, Sony can't loss lead like Meta have been able to do and it's much more advanced than the first PSVR. The real disappointment is the inconsistency with patches for original PSVR games, they never actually sold that many units so it feels like Sony should have stumped up to make conversions free. I am interested in picking one up but won't be stumping up that much, unless I come into some money between now and February - the cost of my PS5 was subsidised by selling my PS4 Pro and some Pokémon cards so there's no way I could afford £500+ 

No idea what Nintendo or Microsoft have to do with this discussion. Also didn't Sony stop their PS3's from being backwards compatible shortly after release? 

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

people generally don't buy new systems to play old games.

VR is a different kettle of fish. If I picked up a PSVR2 I'd absolutely dive into all the old VR stuff, just because the content is so lacking, and likely will be for a long while. We're talking about VR hardware from PS4 > PS5. A PS5 that is already BC with PS4. The platform is already a tough sell, BC should be expected from a consumer pov, and a business pov.

Edited by Ronnie

No idea what Nintendo or Microsoft have to do with this discussion.
Well you said Sony have a terrible history with BC. That is simply untrue - only one of their home consoles did not have BC. Mentioning other consoles was to show this is better than some of their competition.

Also didn't Sony stop their PS3's from being backwards compatible shortly after release?
Yes they did. This is no different to the DSi dropping GBA support or the Wii Mini dropping Gamecube support. And the reason I bring these examples, before you comment, is that it's not uncommon for cheaper revised models to drop BC features. They need to bring the unit cost down somehow. That said, the newer models continued to play PS1 games, so BC wasn't entirely gone.

VR is a different kettle of fish. If I picked up a PSVR2 I'd absolutely dive into all the old VR stuff, just because the content is so lacking, and likely will be for a long while. We're talking about VR hardware from PS4 > PS5. A PS5 that is already BC with PS4. The platform is already a tough sell, BC should be expected from a consumer pov, and a business pov.
You might but that doesn't mean most will (again, going by previous data on BC use). Given how negative you are about "lacking content" it makes no sense to me that you would even buy PSVR2, even if it did have BC.The sorts of people who would pay this kind of money are enthusiasts, people who likely already have PSVR1 or want the latest tech - the kind of people that I don't think will be put off by the issue of practicality.

14 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I disagree here, I actually think that price is reasonable for the specs. No it's not cheap but decent virtual reality headsets never are (and they're a bit 'you get what pay for'). I'm not sure what people were expecting given the known specs.

This right here! I was going to post something similar after seeing all the backlash. I mean, it's more or less just the reality. You're not paying for a simple accessory. You're playing for a display with 4K HDR OLED screens, tracking cameras, 90-120 FPS, 2x highly specced out controllers (!!), foveated rendering (!!!), which is better than even most high-end PCVR or standalone VR headsets. You thought this was going to be cheap? Do the math, I'd say. Better to realise that this is a beast on a whole different level than PSVR. That was junk in comparison, and it didn't even come with the complete package.

The only thing this device is missing are the new pancake lenses. Other than that it looks to be a top of the line headset, and you get what you pay for here. I'm hoping we'll get this updated or modded for PC as soon as possible, along with support for the eye tracking and controller haptics. That'll probably make this the main headset for a lot of PCVR enthusiasts.

1 hour ago, ArtMediocre said:

This right here! I was going to post something similar after seeing all the backlash. I mean, it's more or less just the reality. You're not paying for a simple accessory. You're playing for a display with 4K HDR OLED screens, tracking cameras, 90-120 FPS, 2x highly specced out controllers (!!), foveated rendering (!!!), which is better than even most high-end PCVR or standalone VR headsets. You thought this was going to be cheap? Do the math, I'd say. Better to realise that this is a beast on a whole different level than PSVR. That was junk in comparison, and it didn't even come with the complete package.

The only thing this device is missing are the new pancake lenses. Other than that it looks to be a top of the line headset, and you get what you pay for here. I'm hoping we'll get this updated or modded for PC as soon as possible, along with support for the eye tracking and controller haptics. That'll probably make this the main headset for a lot of PCVR enthusiasts.

Exactly. For the money, and compared to competitor VR headsets, this is actually very good value. But it is still expensive, so attracts the usual sort of ire.

The avarage customer is not going to be aware that what you don't pay in money when buying a Meta headset, you pay in data.

Well, now that they've upped the price, as well as launched a 1500 dollar headset, it might change. This probably doesn't bode well for the price point of the Quest 3 either, and if people go in thinking they're gonna pay 3-400 dollars for that, they're in for a surprise. I think we're looking at a price closer to 6-800 dollars, and that doesn't have foveated rendering or eye tracking. 

Well as always price is subjective depending on your situation. Obviously the wider context (inflation, cost of living etc) may well make the price "feel" higher compared to the original even if an argument could be made that it's not much different. 

PS Blog has highlighted a few PSVR2 games that will be heading our way next year.

52562096366_3da9ebba44_o.jpg

Fantasvision 202X

Developer: Cosmo Machia Inc.
Publisher: Cosmo Machia Inc.
Release date: February 22, 2023

Originally released on the PlayStation 2 in 2000, Fantavision is a puzzle game based on the theme of fireworks. The game returns in an all-new title for PS VR2 powered by the Unreal Engine. The game is an artistic combination of action, shooting, strategy, and puzzles. The PS VR2 headset and PS VR2 Sense controller provides an immersive experience for you to fill the star-studded sky with sparkling fireworks. With its simple yet addictive gameplay, it won't take long for you to master the controls.

The basic goal of the game is to catch at least three fireworks of the same color and shoot them into the night sky. You can also catch fireworks of different colors at the same time by using Wild Fireworks and shoot them with Daisy Chain, which combines multiple colors, and collect items to start the bonus mode Starmine. In PS VR2, you catch fireworks by aiming at them and pulling the trigger, and shoot them with the Circle button.

In addition to the single-player mode, a replay mode is also available. You can change the camera's viewpoint for incredible replays, stop time to enjoy the show, add different effects, and more. You can also experience the vibrations of the fireworks through haptic feedback, so you can fully absorb the breathtaking fireworks display.

52562386054_7d40a56986_o.jpg

Altair Breaker

Developer: Thirdverse
Publisher: Thirdverse

Multiplayer sword-fighting action comes to PS VR2 in the form of Altair Breaker. The AI-created virtual world Altair was once a beautiful archipelago covered by a sea of clouds. Now, surrounded by its collapsed brethren, a single floating island remains. Atop its ruins roam experimental combat AI ruled over by a fully autonomous weapon Laws-Zero. Into this place of danger you must journey and face these vicious creations up close.

You are not ill-equipped, nor alone. Team up with up to three other players to tackle these killing machines together and explore the world. Glide through the air and climb walls as you wander the island, then enter into battle using full 360 degree movement as well as leveraging vertical spaces to your advantage. Perform aerial combos, AOE attacks, use special abilities and more. Parry or block strikes with your shield, then slice your opponents in half with a perfectly timed sword swing.

52562385929_7c435fc073_o.jpg

The Tale of Onogoro

Developer: Amata K.K
Publisher: Amata K.K

Amata K.K, creator of the escape adventure Last Labyrinth returns with a new intriguing co-op tale. A VR player finds themselves thrust into an all-too real parallel world where danger and mystery await. You'll join forces with Hal, a shrine maiden who lives on the island of Onogoro. She's not alone on the island: five giant, lethal Kami inhabit this isle as well. These raging beasts must be subdued, puzzles must be solved and Arakida Masatake, the mastermind behind the mayhem, stopped.

Teaming up is essential to your success. While you hold the legendary Celestial Weapon, capable of manipulating objects and firing Ki once absorbed, some riddles can only be solved by Hal, some only by you. Additionally you share health with Hal, making it all the more important for both of you to avoid injury. In tough situations though, you can hold hands with Hal to heal, so be sure not to miss Hal's call for help.

Infusing traditional Japanese culture with steampunk elements, The Tale of Onogoro promises a unique world full of riddles and powerful battles.

52562634073_0dda21fc5b_o.jpg

Kizuna AI – Touch the Beat!

Developer: Gemdrops, Inc.
Publisher: Gemdrops, Inc.

Cheer along to 15 popular songs by virtual YouTuber Kizuna AI in this rhythm game that's playable on PS VR2 (and PS VR). You've also the option to enjoy a flatscreen experience on PS5 and PS4, playable with a DualSense controller or DualShock 4 controller respectively. Use your PS VR2 Sense controllers (or PS Move controllers on PS VR) like penlights to strike colored boxes in time with Kizuna AI's on-stage performance, or use the View Mode to freely move around the stage.

A variety of additional DLC is planned for release after the game's release, including additional songs, additional costumes, the singing-specific AI #kzn (Kizuna-chan), and the implementation of #kzn-chan songs.

52562634043_c25c4f1e51_o.jpg

Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate

Developer: MyDearest Inc.
Publisher: Perp Games

This VR investigation game offers an immersive cinematic experience and an epic story from MyDearest, creators of Tokyo Chronos and Altdeus: Beyond Chronos for PS VR. It takes place far in the future in Astrum Close, a maritime city with a crime rate of 0.001%. In this "paradise" city, where all crimes are prevented by "dreams," the murder of the city's founder, Professor Rumford, occurs in an incident that never should have happened. Hal Scion, who has been appointed as the Special Supervisor, is requested by the city to investigate this unusual situation. Why was the Professor killed? What is happening in this beautiful city? A clock tower that has not moved for 12 years has now started again. When the final bell rings, seven days will be all that remain.

Playing as Hal, your main goal is to solve the case. The investigation will be conducted using Memory Dive, an ability that allows the player to access the past by touching objects with the left hand and reliving the owner's memories. The present can also be altered by interfering with the owner's actions at the moment their fate diverges. A helpful ally who supports the investigation is Lily, the navigator robot, who is always with Hal and can provide unexpected clues. When you get stuck in your investigation, you can always rely on Lily, who never leaves your side.

In addition to the scene of the crime, the investigation field also includes the beautiful Augmented Dreaming world that integrates people's dreams, which can be seen when accessing the network. One of the key features of this game is that you can enjoy VR spaces with completely different atmospheres: the real world where the incident occurred and the world of Augmented Dreaming, where mental peace is maintained. Investigate the two-faceted field and get to the bottom of the mysterious incident.

52562564470_727a022180_o.jpg

X8

Developer: Thirdverse
Publisher: Thirdverse
Release date: TBA

A digital cataclysm of unknown origin has suddenly rebooted the worlds of various action games into nothingness. In the aftermath, heroes of these worlds are drawn together and forced to compete to try and obtain a game engine that'll restore their home. Team up in intense 5v5 battles in this multiplayer tactical shooter. Each match is set across multiple three minute rounds, with an attacking group attempting to place and detonate explosives, while the defending force attempts to block their efforts. Each hero comes equipped with a distinct weapon and trio of special abilities, activated through specific gestures performed with the PS VR2 Sense controller. Coordinating your combined skills is key to success. More game modes are planned in future updates, and X8 will support crossplay.

Also, details about Resident Evil Village VR were shared.

The entirety of Village's main story will be available to play on PlayStation VR2 in Resident Evil Village VR Mode, allowing you to experience all the events Ethan Winters faces with the greatest level of immersion as he sets out to rescue his kidnapped daughter.

Making full use of the PlayStation VR2, you'll be wholly immersed when playing Resident Evil Village with this DLC. Visually, the vivid graphics of the 4K HDR display (2000×2040 per eye) and eye tracking produces a heightened perception of reality as if everything you see is actually there. 3D audio enhances the realism with audio from every angle, and your sense of touch is enhanced via the PlayStation VR2 Sense controllers. With one controller in each hand, you can feel the vibration, recoil, and resistance as you interact with objects in the world and fire weapons.

The Sense controllers also enable intuitive movements like putting your arms up to guard and holding your gun out in front of you to shoot, and there are additional actions you can perform to heighten your immersion. Hold two weapons independently, load a clip into your handgun to reload, and wield your knife with slashing or stabbing attacks. It's a truly captivating experience that puts you directly into the twisted world that Ethan Winters is fighting through.
Please note that Resident Evil Village or Resident Evil Village Gold Edition is required to play this free DLC, and that the DLC must be downloaded separately. For everyone picking up a PlayStation VR2 in February 2023, we hope that you will challenge yourself with this ultimate immersive survival horror experience!

Okay, so this is not going to be about the PSVR2 (but congrats to everyone who gets one :D), but I recently bought a Pico 4 after considering it for a long, long time. I mainly play PCVR games, so my Quest didnt really exist as a platform for me. No games bought, no risk in switching to another standalone headset. I ended up weighing the pros vs the cons from a PCVR standpoint. And man, oh man, it was the right call. 

The headset is light, and the form factor is super small compared to the usual fresnel lens headsets. The balance is perfect with the (larger) battery on the back, and the pancake lenses... Oh man, the switch is amazing. The entire lens is the sweetspot, and it's crazy to pop it on and just "see" at once without needing to adjust the headset until I hit the spot. 

The controllers are better than the Q2. They feel solid, and of great quality, and the tracking is properly good. Q2 level, but a bit better. The fact that the tracking "rings" are to the sides of the controllers makes everything steady. Here's a short video of me testing out the tracking in Pavlov on a 40 m target. On quest, my controllers would have a tiny, tiny shake from just holding them still, making these hits very hard/impossible. I don't get that at all on Pico 4.

Now I'm just looking forward to moving house (in about three months) so I can get my PC wired and hook up a router to get the Pico wireless with Virtual Desktop. It's supposedly really well done, and offers an experience on par with, or better than, the HP Reverb G2, which is actually pretty insane. I just hope my PC is powerful enough to handle it :heh:

• Like 1

I love how you managed to hit several head shots from 40m away but then couldn't hit the big red button right in front of you.

I am jealous of you though - I would love to try out some of the newest headsets on the market.

• Haha 1

I got a PSVR2 and I’m a bit underwhelmed. Caveat is that I only have Horizon Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo. And for full disclosure here is the list of VR headsets I own: HTC Vive, PSVR, Valve Index, Quest 2 and now PSVR2.

The screens are nice. No screen door effect and excellent colours. I like the rubber gasket, it makes a nice seal. Overall as massive improvement over the original PSVR… but that is a very old piece of hardware (and one that didn’t really win me over at the time).

Now for the reasons I’m underwhelmed: Do I feel like Horizon is a massive jump over anything I’ve played on the Quest 2? Not really, no. Visually it is of course. But not to the point where it makes the Quest 2 look outdated. And the gameplay is basically on par. Unfortunately there are no racing sims on the Quest 2 and there are none as big for PCVR, so Gran Turismo is a really nice experience.

I seem to have to reset the IPD every time I play it and I think this is contributing to how queasy it’s making me feel when playing. That and the movement system in Horizon is a bit naff. Can use analogue stick or arm swinging. I’ve only ever experienced VR sickness with the original PSVR before. I’m just glad I can put the PS5 on standby.

Because the PSVR2 is tethered I have to rearrange the room where the PS5 is so it’s not just plug and play for me. This applies to all tethered VR headsets. It is more plug and play than any PCVR headset which I find always takes a few goes to make it all get recognised by Steam.

Weirdly I find the controls really strange. I found it a bit awkward to put the them on with the headset on. It’s difficult to tell their orientation when you can’t see them. I’m hoping a third party comes out with wrist straps so they can stay attached to your hand (like the Valve Index Controllers).

It’s worth noting that, unlike the PSVR, you can not watch 3D Blu-rays on the headset.

Ultimately I think the Quest 2 has spoiled me. The wireless nature of it just works for me and seems to be the biggest consideration I have for VR.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:52 PM, bob said:

I love how you managed to hit several head shots from 40m away but then couldn't hit the big red button right in front of you.

I am jealous of you though - I would love to try out some of the newest headsets on the market.

I was hoping no one would notice :p The physics for that button is a bit off, so I always struggle with it.

I keep hopping from one headset to the next, which is nice, but it's also a sign of the VR hardware scene in a nutshell. Never anything that's 100% what I want. If I could have Pico + Quest Pro controllers, I'd be happy for the next years. The Pico is aaaalmost there. But the limitations of inside-out tracking still annoys me. 

20 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I got a PSVR2 and I’m a bit underwhelmed. Caveat is that I only have Horizon Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo. And for full disclosure here is the list of VR headsets I own: HTC Vive, PSVR, Valve Index, Quest 2 and now PSVR2.

. . .

Interesting read. A lot of youtubers and people praise it as the second coming, so it's nice to see some actual reviews with no bias. Even though, it seems like a proper good introduction to VR for new players though, and the more people who try VR, the more mainstream it will become. Hopefully it will spike a big surge of new VR software with actual quality behind it. Resident Evil Village is one that I'd love to try. A full fledged RE game with full VR support? Yes please! Only downside with the system is that we'll probably get an even more split market with more exclusives at Sony and Meta. I wish it was more "VR for everybody!" mentality, but money is money.

4 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Interesting read. A lot of youtubers and people praise it as the second coming, so it's nice to see some actual reviews with no bias. Even though, it seems like a proper good introduction to VR for new players though, and the more people who try VR, the more mainstream it will become. Hopefully it will spike a big surge of new VR software with actual quality behind it. Resident Evil Village is one that I'd love to try. A full fledged RE game with full VR support? Yes please! Only downside with the system is that we'll probably get an even more split market with more exclusives at Sony and Meta. I wish it was more "VR for everybody!" mentality, but money is money.

Yes we're very much going to be in the 'exclusives are king' world for a while with VR but I do hope it pushes the whole industry to keep making quality titles.

I really enjoyed your write up on the Pico4, if I wasn't already in the Quest ecosystem I would have been all over it.

Talking of Resident Evil, I'm still really happy with how polished the VR mods are at https://github.com/praydog/REFramework.

• Like 1

Pretty big news via the PS Blog for PS VR2, which says PlayStation are currently testing the ability for owners to have access to additional games on PC. 

Also, we're pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.

Could be huge for the platform, considering that it launched without backwards compatibility for original PS VR titles and the funding just hasn't been there to really draw newcomers in when it comes to new titles. Good stuff, looking forward to any updates on this. 

Posted (edited)

... yeah, pretty much exactly what most of us predicted would happen ended up happening.

It's remarkable how such massive and established companies keep missing the bleeding obvious time and time again.

Edited by Dcubed

Agreed. If they manage to get it to work natively on PC, that'd help a lot with support and demand. But seeing as this is Sony, I wouldn't really be that surprised to see it's a streaming mode that somehow needs a PS5 to work. If they got it to work with SteamVR with no additional hiccups, they would have the first consumer friendly eyetracked headset available, that is even connected through cable. That would be huge.