NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

8 hours ago, drahkon said:

Great to just even see it confirmed. I always thought it was a no-brainer, but given how I've seen a hypothetical PSVR2 spoken about elsewhere, a niggling doubt did start to eat away at me. Lesson learned: always be optimistic :D

Yeah, the headset not being wireless is kind of a bummer, but it's not the end of the world, so long as the system sees support...which definitely has to be stronger than the support we've seen for the current headset. Hearing that they'll be taking some of what makes the DualSense so great over to their next VR controller is definitely a great sell. 

As someone who has been tempted by PSVR, but has put it off mainly thinking we weren't too far away from whatever was next, this is great news. I'll get to play you one day, Rescue Mission! 

1 hour ago, Goafer said:

You're just disappointed you won't be able to complain about the battery life.

Plus loads of people have poor quality provider provided WiFi routers.

Bunch of PSVR announcements in store today. 

First announcement was DOOM3 VR:

Other announcements:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Next-gen VR on PS5: the new controller

51049009217_4b5ff60333_h.jpg

51049009237_78d9f038c9_h.jpg

03_withnotice.jpg?resize=1088,612&crop_strategy=smart&zoom=1

Design

The first thing you’ll notice with our next-gen VR controller is the unique design, which takes on an “orb” shape that allows you to hold the controller naturally, while playing with a high degree of freedom. There are no constraints with how you’re moving your hands, providing developers with the ability to create unique gameplay experiences.

We also designed the new controller with great ergonomics in mind, so it’s well-balanced and comfortable to hold in each of your hands. We applied learnings from testing users with a range of hand sizes, as well as the decades of insights from controllers across all PlayStation platforms. The result is an iconic design that will change how VR games are played.

Features

The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

●      Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

●       Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

●       Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

●       Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

●       Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

Sony are firing on all cylinders. This is awesome :D

Definitely gonna wait for PSVR2 before diving into the VR gaming scene. Gotta start saving now, I assume :laughing:

Bloody hell, I thought those were Oculus Touch controllers at first!

71HsRXrk4JL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Glad to see they're sticking to the VR standards now, as this will make it easier for them to port games from PC and the other way around. Clever design with the orb-style. Looking forward to seeing how the headset will be like.

The first thing you’ll notice with our next-gen VR controller is the unique design

Quite the opposite, Sony.

May the Move controllers burn in hell forever.

unique design

eDGmbRU.gif

Is it worth getting an Oculus Quest 2? The PSVR is always a hassle to get it set up and running but we do enjoy it once it’s functioning. Games-wise is it better/worse or anything to look out for? I totally see the convenience factor, just not really sure what the pros/cons are outside of that.

Just now, Will said:

Is it worth getting an Oculus Quest 2? The PSVR is always a hassle to get it set up and running but we do enjoy it once it’s functioning. Games-wise is it better/worse or anything to look out for? I totally see the convenience factor, just not really sure what the pros/cons are outside of that.

Other than having to link your Facebook account, yeah I'd say its worth getting.

The games for it aren't as powerful but not by much and if you want to play better games like Half-Life Alyx then the Quest 2 can connect to a PC via WiFi (best if you have a WiFi 6 router) or a link cable. No cables is such a massive thing for VR.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 4:04 PM, Magnus said:

It'll also be the only way to play Resident Evil 4 in VR.

The bastards.

1 minute ago, ArtMediocre said:

The bastards.

I mean, you're not wrong.

Vive Pro 2 announced, releasing 4th June 2021. 

2448 x 2448 pixels per eye (5K), 120° field of view, 120 Hz refresh rate.

Special promotion in the pre-order period where it will cost £659 for the standalone headset, which will be £719 after launch. A fully kitted-out Vive 2 with Base Station 2.0 and controllers will cost £1299. 

Edited by Julius

I finally got round to getting a Quest 2, after loving my PSVR, but finding the wires a massive pain in the arse.

What a bloody revelation. Playing without wires is exactly what I want from VR. The fact that the screen is so good is just the icing on the cake. Gone is the screen door effect that let down the PSVR for me.

The only things I'd want to see improved is the battery life and a bit more resolution. Both are fine, it would just be nice to have a bit more clarity on some things and to not have to charge it after almost every use.

Thoroughly impressed by the Quest 2 overall though. It's exactly what I want from a VR headset.

• Like 2

Bought Beat Saber and good god, is it ever the perfect VR experience. 

Actual sword fighting is VR is great in theory, but you'll never get the feel of clashing swords with someone else. Beat Saber's solution of swiping at targets that would be sliced through with little to no resitance is genius.

I've watched other people playing it before and I always found it a bit cringe to see how much they were getting into it, but I totally get that now. I find myself adding little flourishes once in a while and just moving in time with the beat when I don't need to.

Anyone doubting how excellent VR can be needs to try Beat Saber on a Quest right now.

• Like 2

I've tried Beat Saber once. It really is good fun and I can understand people getting hooked. I have a friend who's using it (and the Occulus Quest in general) for weight loss and training. It apparently works well for him.

• Like 1

One thing @Goafer and I were talking about last night was the lack of multiplayer options for watching videos with people in the official vr apps. We used BigScreen last night for some of our weekly movie night and while it was cool, I did still have to stream in video from my laptop so it did get slightly laggy at times.

Bloomberg are reporting that PSVR2 is aiming for a Holiday 2022 release. 

But my wallet :(

Oculus are giving Quest 2 owners free silicone face pads to address complaints of allergic reactions to the foam ones. Given that the sponge one absorbs sweat like, well, a sponge, it's a godsend.

Anyone with a Quest 2 should check the My Devices tab on their account to see if they can get one.

It's saved me having to buy one.

• Like 1

Star Wars Tales from the Galaxy's Edge: Last Call is coming later this year, exclusively to Quest:

Can’t really tell too much from the trailer but I love the Star Wars VR stuff so will definitely pick this up.

Yay, another quest exclusive -_- 

Edit: To clarify, I think it's great that they keeps on developing games for VR! But it's annoying to have yet another "Only on.." and "Exclusively for..." gaming platform. It is pretty much just advanced screens, so to make exclusive games for one and not support the other devices in the ecosystem annoys me. I would be even more annoyed if I had owned a Rift S myself. 

Edited by ArtMediocre

Tomorrow Blade and Sorcery will drop its biggest update yet, with almost everything improved. There will be dungeons, improved physics and AI, chickens!? This looks so hot :D An already great game is getting way better!