NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

I'm so tempted to get a Quest 2 as I love the VR experience but the price is my biggest gripe. But that mandatory Facebook login is holding me back. I've been thinking about deleting my Facebook, so getting more involved seems like the wrong direction. The fact that they tie your purchases to it means I have to keep it, and their policy makes it risky to set up a fake account.

But reviews are good and the pricepoint is very fair. Maybe I should hold off a little bit longer for the HP Reverb G2, although that won't work standalone which is a plus for the Quest 2.

Yeah, there seem to be quite a few users who are getting blocked and all their old purchases from their Oculus user becoming unavailable. Which is bull in my opinion. This is one of my biggest gripes with the headset as well. But it's a shame, because it's the best headset for newcomers on the market. If it leaves a bad impression on a lot of players, it will have a negative effect on the VR development. 

@Vileplume2000 if you have a decent PC that can run it, I would strongly suggest that you look into the HP Reverb G2 :) It looks to be an impressive headset in every way except maybe the controllers (but these can be changed with the Valve Index controllers for a fee), and there is no mandatory social media account required. 

• Thanks 1

But reviews are good and the pricepoint is very fair.

We just say price round here.

Sideloaded a few games this morning to test out other stuff. Did some shooting and there was no noticeable lag when firing. I've got a cheap link cable arriving today so hopefully should be able to properly test out some PC VR games later.

VR top tip time!

Don't forget to wash your faceplate every so often, kids!

And if you don't, definitely don't put your Oculus in a mildly damp cupboard door 6 months and forget all about it. Just had a lovely mouldy surprise!

• Sad 1

Well my headset developed a buzzing noise today. Annoyed that it’s a couple of days and it may already be faulty and need returning 🤬

On 10/17/2020 at 11:49 PM, Happenstance said:

Well my headset developed a buzzing noise today. Annoyed that it’s a couple of days and it may already be faulty and need returning 🤬

Ow, that sucks :S. Better swap it quickly though, and hope that it's not a recurring issue with other models. I guess it's pretty noticable on a headset mounted so closely to your ears. 

3 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Ow, that sucks :S. Better swap it quickly though, and hope that it's not a recurring issue with other models. I guess it's pretty noticable on a headset mounted so closely to your ears. 

Looking on Reddit and the Oculus forums there are quite a few complaints about it. People seem to think it's an issue with the main cooling fan. I've got a ticket open with Oculus Support at the moment but we're only at the "try restarting the device" stage.

It's still useable as if I turn a real fan on in my room the vibrations completey drown out the buzzing so I can at least keep playing while I wait.

Oculus support sucks. They asked for all my details so they could arrange a replacement, name, address, phone number, serial numbers, proof of purchase invoice etc. So I send them all this personal information, they take a day to reply and say thanks for sending that, we’re now going to take 48 hours to have a more thorough think of the best way we can help you.

Given up on Oculus Support and spoke to Currys instead. They're happy for me to exchange my Quest 2 in store as long as there's stock so I'm gonna head in tomorrow.

Currys replaced it immediately today. I should have just done this straight away but I stupidly thought going through the official support page made sense.

• Like 1

Shame that you can’t play Half Life Alyx on the Quest 2, otherwise I’d be sold. Maybe I’ll wait for the next one?

5 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

Shame that you can’t play Half Life Alyx on the Quest 2, otherwise I’d be sold. Maybe I’ll wait for the next one?

You can play it if you have a link cable to connect it to pc or have a good enough WiFi connection to stream it from pc to the headset.

I don’t have a PC though, should have mentioned that haha. Only a Mac. Was thinking of getting a cheap-ish laptop for gaming but not sure I can justify buying one. 

Half Life Alyx is a SteamVR game so wouldn't be natively playable on any Oculus headsets anyway, especially not wireless ones as they won't have enough power. If you want a laptop for gaming that includes VR unfortunately I don't think cheapish will do.

• Thanks 1

Bah. Maybe I’ll buy the headset and buy an expensive-ish laptop in a few months if VR grips me enough :D

6 days later and Oculus support finally reply to my ticket with details and a label for returning my Quest 2, completely ignoring the fact that it’s already been replaced and me asking them to close the ticket.
They also didn’t arrange to have it collected but expected me to print off the label and then take it to a dhl drop off point.

This company fucking sucks.

• Haha 1

An update on the HP Reverb G2 adventure. My order is, like the rest of europe, delayed. I was supposed to recieve the new headset tomorrow, the 20th of november, but it turns out HP still hasn't shipped the headsets from their factory. That means at least a delay of two weeks, if not more, and my order has an estimated delivery of 18th january 2021. Great stuff =_=.

HP managed to kill a lot of hype for their headset by screwing up the launch with delays. I read that a lot of people are considering cancelling their orders, but I'm going to stick it through, and maybe order a Quest 2 at the same time for comparison. The tracking seems... less than optimal for Pavlov and fast paced VR shooters. In the end though, the VR headset is one of the best there is, and I might go the route of ordering basestations and Index controllers, but I'll see how I think the tracking is first.

Oh hi @ArtMediocre, it's me again! 

So, I've finally gotten the Reverb G2 and have been playing around with it for a good two weeks now, and I really enjoy it! It's what the Rift S should've been :D The screens are amazing, at least in the sweetspot and around it. No screendoor at all. The colors are brilliant! The blacks are okay, but kinda gray-ish. The sound is so much better than whatever Oculus delivers <3. 

I was concerned about the tracking and controllers after reading a lot of negativity about it on the HP Reverb subreddit, but to be honest, I think it works great, and for my main games like Pavlov and Blade & Sorcery I have had zero issues. I actually ended up getting a used Valve Index for an okay-ish price, so just to see what I was missing out on, I ended up on buying it. I also wanted to see if I could combine the G2 with the Index Controllers if I had serious issues with the tracking. To be honest, I'm not really impressed with it after experiencing the visual quality of the G2. The tracking works great, and the controllers are cool, but not something I'm willing to pay £500-700 extra, when the default WMR controllers work good enough. 

If anyone wants a recommendation for a good PCVR headset, look no further. The G2 is the way. I love mine, and I'm looking forward to many more hours of fun with it!

Bought a Quest 2 the other day. Having a blast with Walking Dead Saints and Sinners.

I really wish Oculus had a Game Pass style subscription. I’d sign up straight away. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 9:02 PM, Dog-amoto said:

Bought a Quest 2 the other day. Having a blast with Walking Dead Saints and Sinners.

I really wish Oculus had a Game Pass style subscription. I’d sign up straight away. 

If you have a PC that can run Oculus Link, then you could subscribe to Viveport Infinity. That's a pretty good subscription service with a lot of games.

• Like 1

Today I’m pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience. 

via PlayStation.blog

• Thanks 1

It will connect to PS5 with a single cord

360_F_174683409_2YTshRHo1aianamatCY9fVMB

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

You're just disappointed you won't be able to complain about the battery life.

• Haha 3