NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

I tried out the Marvel Spider-Man VR game last night. Obviously it's just a glorified tech-demo, but damn if it isn't satisfying launching yourself around with webbing. It's got a real learning curve as well; at first you find yourself slamming into buildings like Peter does, but then you learn to guide yourself around them with the other hand, and you can get a bit of a rhythm going.

Ultimately though, while it is fun having a go at swinging, i don't think Spider-Man lends itself well for a first person type game. It's too acrobatic a character for someone standing still in their living room. If you look down at any point, you can see Spider-Man's body contorting itself around while your head looks straight ahead.

• Thanks 1

So, in late may a new headset was revealed. The upgrade to the racing and flight sim favorite, the HP Reverb G2. Now the release is finally starting to get near (I think it's been said it will ship sometime during september, but with covid 19 still on the loose, we'll see), and some previews of prototype versions are starting to flood onto youtube. It's looking like a real contender to the Valve Index, and is what the Oculus Rift S should have been in the first place. A good second generation PC VR headset. 

The screens on this headset looks absolutely insane! Barely any screen door effect, great blackness, incredible resolution and overall as good as, if not better than, the Valve Index. I've got one preordered and I can't wait to play Star Wars Squadrons, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and whatever I can find. Just playing old VR games again will probably be a pretty different experience. I can actually read what the HUD says in Elite Dangerous this time around. 

......now I just need to shell out for a new graphics card =_= 

Edited by ArtMediocre

PSVR is Sony's focus this week. 

Because of course it is :laughing:

This week sees new reveals and updates on upcoming games, as well as a VR-focused PS Store promotion .

Hey all. Over the next few days, we’re going to spotlight some upcoming games coming to PlayStation VR, including some announcements and updates for previously revealed PS VR titles.

It kicks off today at 3pm BST / 4pm CEST / 7am PST, and we’ll have further updates to share each day at the same time through to Friday.

And as mentioned, this is all about the games. So to manage expectations, there’ll be no PS5-related news.

There’ll also be a PS VR promotion on PS Store kicking off this week. Read on for more!

PlayStation Store PS VR sale

Starting this Wednesday, September 9, PS Store will be hosting a PS VR promotion. This sale will showcase the diverse range of experiences only possible on the platform with a range of titles available at a discounted price for a limited time*.

That includes titles such as:

Arizona Sunshine
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Blood & Truth
Borderlands 2 VR
Everybody’s Golf VR
Farpoint
Firewall Zero Hour
L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files
Superhot VR
Tetris Effect
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

From Wednesday, September 9, head on to PS Store from your PS4 or browser to check out the full sale list when the sale goes live.

But in all seriousness, glad they're continuing to support PSVR. Hopefully we end up with a PSVR2 in a couple of years? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Julius said:

Hopefully we end up with a PSVR2 in a couple of years? 

A couple of YEARS!! :blank: was hoping for a much needed hardware update by mid 2021 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

A couple of YEARS!! :blank: was hoping for a much needed hardware update by mid 2021 

Yeah that's certainly possible, at the moment I guess I don't see them wanting to do it until they come out with a PS5 Slim at a lower price point, and feel like they at least want to spend the first year of the PS5 focused solely on the console and games. 

Not to say there won't be games, because I think we're expecting continued support for PSVR anyways on the PS5. Just don't want to see them rushing into it, and I think COVID production issues could still be a massive issue next year. 

Either way, imagine the PS5's 3D audio tech could go a long way to bettering the offerings we see on PSVR2. Here's hoping :D

There's actually been a rumor recently about Sony's upcoming VR-plans, and it's quite different from what I was expecting. Seeing as how well the PSVR has sold up until now, they've changed focus and made plans to make a stand alone headset similar to the Oculus Quest. If the new headset will be tethered to a PC or not, I do not remember, but I do remember someone saying that a Playstation VR Store for PC would be a possibility, opening up exclusive games on the PC platform. If they're going to open up for the possibilities of support for other headsets, they would take a huge chunk of the VR market, and quite possibly get loads of sales.

Now, these are all rumors so take it with a bucket of salt, but it seems to be in line with Sony's new take on releasing their exclusive games on PC.

Something about releasing an updated model less than 2 years after the first doesn't sit right with me. I realise that they are more like phones than consoles, in that all software will continue to be released on both, but it's still a bit shit. How long before my Quest is dropped entirely? They already dropped the Go.

With the updated cpu and screens, I kinda see that there are going to be Quest 2 exclusive titles in the coming years, gradually making the original Quest less and less relevant. I might be wrong though. 

Good update, but the whole "Mandatory facebook account login required, and we will be tracking you for upcoming ads" situation really off-putting. 

Ok I’ve been out of the loop on VR for a while now. Someone sell me on some VR games that I could play on the Quest 2 (no link cable ones yet).

That price point and upgrade is pretty good! Just not really interested in tying my facebook account to another unit, and the whole "Facebook account required for use" is stupid. I've steadily gone away from Oculus after they were bought by Facebook. Don't get me wrong, I think the fact that Facebook drives VR forward with more money and more development, and also less cost for consumers (except their privacy/soul) is pretty good for the entire VR community. But I think it drives the development in a wrong direction. Facebook wants quick cash, so they stock on the easiest platform to make games on. Mobile. And now they've officially killed the Rift S. In Facebooks eyes, PCVR is dead. But that is, in my opinion at least, where we have more and more possibilities with VR.

I just hope that the developers for Quest games will also make PC-versions of their games, but who am I kidding? We will see less games like Half Life Alyx and more quick pick up and play-games. 

I'll still be sticking to my HP Reverb G2 pre-order, seeing as that is what the Oculus Rift S should've been. Doing a solid upgrade of my PC now, so when the headset comes, I'll be more than ready to play some intense, long single player games :D

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Ok I’ve been out of the loop on VR for a while now. Someone sell me on some VR games that I could play on the Quest 2 (no link cable ones yet).

Well games that i've tried and would recommend:

Beat Saber

Goes without saying really. Probably the best-selling VR game, and it's tons of fun to play.

I Expect You to Die

A Bond themed, escape room simulator with a good sense of humour and lots of style. 

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

The only real local multi-player game that i've seen. Take turns in defusing the bomb while people not wearing a headset describe the instructions to you. Good party game (in groups of 6 or less please)

Superhot VR

This one just feel really cool to play. Not very long, but pretty re-playable. 

Wander

This is the next best thing until they bring Google Earth VR to wireless headsets. You can go anywhere with Google Street View, and it's pretty incredible. 

A Fisher-mans Tale

I really enjoyed this. It's a sort of an arty, theatrical game with puzzles and a talking prawn. Got some really cool puzzles that play around with scale that only really works in VR. Not very replayable though, so maybe wait for a sale?

• Thanks 1

It's finally happening! Looking forward to testing the new headset in November, and a lot of the changes are very positive. 

On 9/17/2020 at 1:59 PM, bob said:

Well games that i've tried and would recommend:

Beat Saber

Goes without saying really. Probably the best-selling VR game, and it's tons of fun to play.

I Expect You to Die

A Bond themed, escape room simulator with a good sense of humour and lots of style. 

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

The only real local multi-player game that i've seen. Take turns in defusing the bomb while people not wearing a headset describe the instructions to you. Good party game (in groups of 6 or less please)

Superhot VR

This one just feel really cool to play. Not very long, but pretty re-playable. 

Wander

This is the next best thing until they bring Google Earth VR to wireless headsets. You can go anywhere with Google Street View, and it's pretty incredible. 

A Fisher-mans Tale

I really enjoyed this. It's a sort of an arty, theatrical game with puzzles and a talking prawn. Got some really cool puzzles that play around with scale that only really works in VR. Not very replayable though, so maybe wait for a sale?

Have you played Ghost Giant? That's one of my favorite VR games (not that I've played that many, but still).

Have you played Ghost Giant? That's one of my favorite VR games (not that I've played that many, but still).
I have not, although looking it up now, it does look interesting. Bit price pointy though, would you say it's worth £19?

6 hours ago, bob said:
11 hours ago, Magnus said:

I have not, although looking it up now, it does look interesting. Bit price pointy though, would you say it's worth £19?

I think so! What would you do with that £19, anyway? You'd probably just waste it. You might as well spend it on something fun.

Did anyone get the Quest 2 today then? I’ve been very close to ordering one all day so I’m interested to hear any impressions.

Spent a bit of time today setting up the Quest 2 and testing it all out.

I'm pretty impressed so far. It looks a lot better than my old Vive and PSVR. I can definitely adjust the headset so everything is in focus but it's resting spot doesn't feel quite right. I think that'll be something I can fix with the better headstrap so I'm gonna spend some time later deciding between the normal upgraded one or the one with the extra battery pack.

I tried out Virtual Desktop wirelessly which worked fine until I launched a VR game and then started chugging along. Obviously my wifi network isn't up to the task. I'm happy enough to use a link cable though for the more graphically intensive games.

Being able to connect to my Plex server through Bigscreen now is great, giving me access to all my media files.

Haven't tested many games yet but I did finally have my first experience with the Beat Saber demo. Despite the fact that I was lying down at the time so was in no position to hit most things I already found it very fun. I think I'll have to buy the full version of that immediately.

Sounds great :D I'm glad you're having a blast with it so far :) 

35 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I can definitely adjust the headset so everything is in focus but it's resting spot doesn't feel quite right. I think that'll be something I can fix with the better headstrap so I'm gonna spend some time later deciding between the normal upgraded one or the one with the extra battery pack.

Do you think this is the strap, or the lack of options with the IPD adjustments? I've heard that a lot don't hit their exact IPD as it's limited by the screen and the three positions. 

37 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Haven't tested many games yet but I did finally have my first experience with the Beat Saber demo. Despite the fact that I was lying down at the time so was in no position to hit most things I already found it very fun. I think I'll have to buy the full version of that immediately.

Will love to hear some impressions down the line. If possible, it'd be cool to hear how the latency is in a shooting game, from where you pull the trigger to when it fires in-game. I've heard it's noticable for some people, and a lot of others don't seem to notice any latency at all. 

Just now, ArtMediocre said:

Do you think this is the strap, or the lack of options with the IPD adjustments? I've heard that a lot don't hit their exact IPD as it's limited by the screen and the three positions. 

I’m pretty sure it is the strap because as long as I align it properly vertically it’s fine and all in focus, it’s just where the headset sits on my face. 

3 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Will love to hear some impressions down the line. If possible, it'd be cool to hear how the latency is in a shooting game, from where you pull the trigger to when it fires in-game. I've heard it's noticable for some people, and a lot of others don't seem to notice any latency at all. 

I’ll definitely have a go with a shooting game and let you know how it feels. I don’t know how often the Oculus store has sales but I’ll probably pick up a load of games during their next big one. That new Walking Dead one looks good so I bet that would be a good test.