NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

14 minutes ago, Grazza said:

It might be that people just prefer to play on a TV.  However, I don't think I'm missing the point at all.  The aim of VR is to be so realistic it's visually indistinguishable from reality, whereas at the moment it's not too dissimilar to just seeing a giant screen in front of you.  The essential apps could even be something akin to Google Earth, where it takes you to a place it's very hard to visit otherwise - however, until the tech gives the "wow" factor, those experiences won't be believable.

I think people's main complaint about VR is that there's nothing of lasting interest to play on it. Not that the technology isn't visually indistinguishable from reality. It's a novelty, with (more or less) a bunch of tech demos and short experiences.

Sure a higher res screen will help but that isn't enough to make it sell like crazy. The Gameboy sold because the games were great and the battery life manageable thanks to the low-tech. DS sold crazy amounts because it had great games too, the screen res was terrible but no one minded. Wii wasn't even HD but it sold 100 million, all because of software etc

The Vita is amazing tech but no one bought it. Nintendo have based their entire business on maximising potential from low tech hardware.

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think people's main complaint about VR is that there's nothing of lasting interest to play on it. Not that the technology isn't visually indistinguishable from reality. It's a novelty, with (more or less) a bunch of tech demos and short experiences.

Sure a higher res screen will help but that isn't enough to make it sell like crazy. The Gameboy sold because the games were great and the battery life manageable thanks to the low-tech. DS sold crazy amounts because it had great games too, the screen res was terrible but no one minded. Wii wasn't even HD but it sold 100 million, all because of software etc

The Vita is amazing tech but no one bought it. Nintendo have based their entire business on maximising potential from low tech hardware.

No it's the technology. The Gameboy and DS are cheap standalone devices which are perfectly capable of doing what they set out to do. None of the "real" VR headsets are standalone, aren't cheap, and the experience hasn't reached a threshold yet where we can say it's good enough for mainstream use.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

No it's the technology. The Gameboy and DS are cheap standalone devices which are perfectly capable of doing what they set out to do. None of the "real" VR headsets are standalone, aren't cheap, and the experience hasn't reached a threshold yet where we can say it's good enough for mainstream use.

I disagree. I think they could release a super lightweight, 4K VR standalone unit with no wires, with the best eye tracking and controllers etc, and it would still sell at the same rate as it currently is.

The Gameboy and DS are cheap standalone devices which are perfectly capable of doing what they set out to do

The PSVR or Oculus are perfectly capable of doing what they set out to do, doesn't mean anything if they don't have the software to go with it.

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie said:

I disagree. I think they could release a super lightweight, 4K VR standalone unit with no wires, with the best eye tracking and controllers etc, and it would still sell at the same rate as it currently is.

The PSVR is perfectly capable of doing what it sets out to do, doesn't mean anything if it doesn't have the software to go with it.

No, the PSVR needs a Playstation, and as far as I'm aware it's not as good as an Oculus Rift, which means it doesn't provide an optimal experience yet. You also missed my point about the pricepoint. A VR standalone set needs to be 300 euros or something to gain mass apeal. At that point people can go into a store, buy a set, and be done with it. For them to buy it you don't need a killer app, you need a good demo. The killer apps will come when enough people have bought a VR set to keep the momentum going.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

No, the PSVR needs a Playstation, and as far as I'm aware it's not as good as an Oculus Rift, which means it doesn't provide an optimal experience yet. You also missed my point about the pricepoint. A VR standalone set needs to be 300 euros or something to gain mass apeal. At that point people can go into a store, buy a set, and be done with it. For them to buy it you don't need a killer app, you need a good demo. The killer apps will come when enough people have bought a VR set to keep the momentum going.

No, it's not going to get mass appeal if people do what they're currently doing with their VR units, which is trying them out, being wowed by the experience, then putting it away in its box to gather dust. That sort of gimmicky luxury item doesn't gain mass appeal until there's something worthwhile to actually do on it. But whatever, we're not going to convince the other it seems.

I've looked at some games, it seems there are already a few what I'd call "killer apps". Plus there's plenty of passive entertainment, which i suspect is relatively cheap to make.

It's simple, the average person also needs to buy a playstation or a computer. It's just not simple enough for the average consumer to just try out. Existing Playstation owners aren't buying VR sets because they're probably not wowed enough because of a subpar experience. You have the likes of RE7 and Moss on the system. There's fun stuff out there as far as I'm aware. So it must be something else.

The Switch sold well, but it only had Zelda at the start (pretty much).

Look, you and I, we are enthousiasts. We are more critical, but also more open to new stuff. For the average consumer, the experience is just subpar. Nice for a one time gimmicky experience, but not to buy it themselves, it's just too cumbersome and sub-par. There's already relatively good stuff available on VR, but it's only going to really get going when the average consumer buys a set.

We're not average consumers.

Bah, too bad it's a PS VR exclusive. That looked really cool :D. I wanna play it on my Oculus, so I hope they announce it for PC later on.

What graphics card are people using for VR? What would you recommend for minimum use? I know both Oculus and Vive recommended the 970 or better. But is that really enough? Would a 1060 be enough, or do you have to go 1070?

I'm currently playing VR with a 1070. I would reccomend that as the minimum tbh. Then you're safe for the more graphically demanding games. I can play Robo Recall and the Lab with no issues. It's a good card to have for future titles as well, if you're planning on playing the more demanding AAA games that are coming out soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Soooo, is this good? Was this expected? Is this less than expected?

I was expecting about 10...people. So, I think this is good. I really don't know.

Let's just agree that the answer is yes. Forget what the question is. I've already forgotten. Have you?

Remember: yes.

• Haha 1

Considering there's a whole load of loud naysayers spread over the Internet, giving the impression, "No one wants VR," I'd say it's pretty good. 

It's still very much in its infancy, with the headsets fairly primitive and the game developers still working out what works and what doesn't.  When you do get a good VR experience there's nothing quite like it. 

With the upcoming MediaMolecule title Dreams being VR-compatible, we could also have a lot of great user-created VR content on the way too.

• Like 1

Wow this thread has depressed me a little since i got a PSVR on friday! i traded in my spare PS4, one of my zelda 3DS' and a load of games and only needed to put £3 to it. Admittedly in my eyes its like i paid £3, but i think its awesome! except for Resident evil 7! good god no! i felt terrified and it REALLY did not help when my cat got in the room and slinked past me as i went through the flooded corridor!

Is the original battlefront VR mission the only VR mission on either Battlefront 1 or 2? because i loved that so damn much

Any recommendations? is Skyrim worth another buy? this being my 5th iteration if so (xbox - sold, PS3 - sold,PC - MODS, Switch- Portability) i'm very tempted with a second hand copy

I have Resident evil 7, PSVr worlds obvs, Rick & Morty* and Bridge Crew

*does anyone else have Rick and Morty? is it broken? no matter where i position my camera, no matter which room, it seems the tracking is badly out and i couldn't get past the bit where you have to use a meeseeks to pick up something out of bounds as my hands would just disappear as i bent down! hell i stood on a step ladder and recentred the thing and still my hand would just disappear before it could grab the thing! only this time as i got close it jumps up for you to grab and then as you move your hand to grab it drops and thus endless cycle! 

wish PSN offered refunds, i played 10 min and its just broken

I love Skyrim on Oculus, no idea how it is on PSVR because I use a lot of mods and ini tweaks to improve the experience and visuals. I use the control stick to move around which takes a little getting used to but if nobody's looking you can always walk on the spot and it helps

7 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

Wow this thread has depressed me a little since i got a PSVR on friday! i traded in my spare PS4, one of my zelda 3DS' and a load of games and only needed to put £3 to it. Admittedly in my eyes its like i paid £3, but i think its awesome! except for Resident evil 7! good god no! i felt terrified and it REALLY did not help when my cat got in the room and slinked past me as i went through the flooded corridor!

Is the original battlefront VR mission the only VR mission on either Battlefront 1 or 2? because i loved that so damn much

Any recommendations? is Skyrim worth another buy? this being my 5th iteration if so (xbox - sold, PS3 - sold,PC - MODS, Switch- Portability) i'm very tempted with a second hand copy

*does anyone else have Rick and Morty? is it broken? no matter where i position my camera, no matter which room, it seems the tracking is badly out and i couldn't get past the bit where you have to use a meeseeks to pick up something out of bounds as my hands would just disappear as i bent down! hell i stood on a step ladder and recentred the thing and still my hand would just disappear before it could grab the thing! only this time as i got close it jumps up for you to grab and then as you move your hand to grab it drops and thus endless cycle! 

Glad you're enjoying it! PSVR is weird, I think it's fantastic whenever I use it but I rarely get the urge to do so. I can't be be alone cause I got a questionairre pop up the other day from Sony asking about why I don't use it much..

Dirt Rally and Wipeout Omega Collection are both really fun racing games and pretty long / in depth compared to most VR games. The former is pretty tough, simulation type racing, obviously the latter is Wipeout so F-Zero-y and feels nicely podracer-y with all the sound design around you.

Superhot is the essential PSVR game for me, assuming you've got move controllers. When you move time moves - it Instantly feels so natural to slowly move about and pluck bullets out of the air, to the extent that it takes a while to sink in how impressive it all is. It's shonky AF but hugely satisfying when everything comes together, truely Neo from the Matrix stuff.

I just the other week picked up Rez Infinite, which I've been waiting to go on sale for a while - it's currently a tenner so get dat snapped up! Playing area X.. I haven't had an experience like that from gaming in years. Too many feels.

Thumper and Polybius are both quite fun in a similar vein. I found the latter great but the former maybe a bit too simplistic, mechanically but the latter is a pretty great trip.

How long is battlefront VR? Is it worth picking up the original for a fiver just to play it or nah?

18 hours ago, dan-likes-trees said:

How long is battlefront VR? Is it worth picking up the original for a fiver just to play it or nah?

Its about 5-10 min, for a £5 probably but nothing more than that. Its a shame really i would have thought battlefront 2 would have a VR mission or some coming, i guess the loot boxes would have killed any DLC for that

On 22/08/2018 at 1:28 PM, Agent Gibbs said:

On 20/08/2018 at 12:51 PM, Agent Gibbs said:

Hey if you want to PM me your address I have a sealed copy of Skyrim VR that I'll never ever play, would rather it went to a good home. 

Edited by James
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Rick & Morty, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. But I've heard good things about the PC version at least :).

I've been sinking a lot of time into Pavlov VR for PC these last few weeks, and I can't recommend it enough!! Such a blast to play, a good community, and the new Gun Game mode is awesome! Rift and Vive owners should give it a try :D.

I would also love a free copy of Skyrim, anyone have one to spare? :p

• Haha 1

Awesome, looks like it is pretty similar to Pavlov VR. Playing a FPS game in VR is like nothing I've ever done before, and it is so intense :D. Glad to see you have something equally good for the PS VR :D. The more the merrier!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Awesome, looks like it is pretty similar to Pavlov VR. Playing a FPS game in VR is like nothing I've ever done before, and it is so intense :D. Glad to see you have something equally good for the PS VR :D. The more the merrier!

It's the Aim Controller that really sells it. It's so accurate and really adds to the immersion. :D

• Like 1

Huh. Earlier today I posted a video in the Retro Gaming thread about playing older games in VR. I'm starting to think this thread may be a more fitting home for it. I'll just quote myself:

11 hours ago, Jonnas said:

So, youtuber Super Bunnyhop went down a proverbial rabbit hole (lol) in order to get a VR headset to work with anything on PC. I highly advise skipping to 9:55, since the first half of the video is just him describing what he did to make this contraption work.

The basic gist of it is, he can make VR work with games such as Mirror's Edge, and programs like the Dolphin emulator. The bloke recorded himself playing F-Zero GX and Ocarina of Time in VR. The results are fascinating to look at.

If you're strapped for time, watch just the OoT part (starting at 17:25). It's captivating, hearing him describe what the game feels like.

• Like 2

So the Oculus Quest looks interesting. I'd still like to try one out, but at that price it might convince me to get one.