NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

So, has anyone tried VRchat yet? It really looks like the worst parts of the internet, visualized and straight up in your face. And to be honest, I really want to try it :P. It looks like hell'a weird, but the good kinda weird. All the dudes running around with anime girl skins (most likely bronies irl..), but it sure looks like a good time anyway.

This vid probably sums it up good: (aaaaand ignore the Widowmaker ass-thumbnail)

20 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I haven't but I did just buy Thumper to finally play properly on PSVR.

Nice - got that one too - I definitely think that at the processing power and resolution currently available these sort of trippy / experimental games are where VR really excels. I haven't bought it yet but playing the demo for Rez VR really blew me away.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with Thumper - I quite like it but have found it to be quite repetitious, particularly visually - plus you can tell it's not really designed for VR since everything's coming at you from one angle; no head movements or anything. Again, definitely suggest double dippingo on Polybius whilst it's so cheap

On 29/12/2017 at 12:53 PM, ArtMediocre said:

I really need to test the PS VR, because I don't have any problems with resolution on my Oculus. The PC hardware is high end, so I can see it's not for everybody, but if the resolution quality of the PSVR is so low, it puts the whole VR-experience in a bad light. 

If you get the chance, try Elite Dangerous or Robo Recall with Oculus or HTC Vive. I'm sure you'll be positively surprised :).

Just to clarify - it's not that I found the PSVR to be bad quality, just that the Samsung VR is actually really impressive, particularly when it's playing pre-rendered content. Thought there'd be more of a step up from a £40 thing to a £300 quid thing I guess

Are the move controllers essential to play the PSVR, or is it reasonably good without?

On 3/28/2018 at 2:37 PM, bob said:

Are the move controllers essential to play the PSVR, or is it reasonably good without?

For some games they are the only control method. Some can be either the DS4 or Move, some just DS4. 

It's worth getting them for the games that do use them. It's the only time (since the first few weeks of the Wii) where I've enjoyed motion controls - they do add to the immersion.

Skyrim VR on PC is a game changer. Wow.

A lot of VR games on the rift store etc are great, but they're typically arcade-y, focused around the movement limitations of the system.

But Skyrim VR is just... Skyrim. A huge epic world that you're inside, and yeah you have to compromise here and there to control it, but the fact is you're really in Skyrim.

I've hardly played because I keep quitting to add and tweak mods and settings :p but it's still really good fun.

I even switched off teleportation to direct movement, which does take some getting used to but I think it's necessary. I can only dream of one day having one of those omni-treadmill type games.

Playing games on the Oculus Rift right now feels kinda like playing video games on the NES did 30 years ago. There's a tonne of potential, and technology needs to advance to carry it forward, but when it does the future for this tech should/could be incredible. Hope I live long enough to be inside some Skyrim esque world, with incredible visuals, no peripheral "black space" or screen door effect, and some form of perfect 1:1 movement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Skyrim VR on PC is a game changer. Wow.

A lot of VR games on the rift store etc are great, but they're typically arcade-y, focused around the movement limitations of the system.

But Skyrim VR is just... Skyrim. A huge epic world that you're inside, and yeah you have to compromise here and there to control it, but the fact is you're really in Skyrim.

I've hardly played because I keep quitting to add and tweak mods and settings :p but it's still really good fun.

I even switched off teleportation to direct movement, which does take some getting used to but I think it's necessary. I can only dream of one day having one of those omni-treadmill type games.

Playing games on the Oculus Rift right now feels kinda like playing video games on the NES did 30 years ago. There's a tonne of potential, and technology needs to advance to carry it forward, but when it does the future for this tech should/could be incredible. Hope I live long enough to be inside some Skyrim esque world, with incredible visuals, no peripheral "black space" or screen door effect, and some form of perfect 1:1 movement.

How much blurriness do you notice while playing? On the PSVR version there is quite a bit. It doesn't necessarily ruin the experience but it can be a bit distracting.

Don't really notice any except on the text in the loading screen. But then again I'm not sure my eyes are great at the ultra-closeup headset anyway so any blurriness I attribute to how tired I am :p there's a lot of settings to mess with to reduce blur, a list of suggestions for values to tweak in the ini file that can change everything from the scale of the world to where the bow is positioned.

One for @RedShell. :D 

• The Arcade version is finalized. Total duration: 15 minutes. Okamura-san explained that this is the perfect duration for arcade because the game is intense just like a workout.
  • There is a new move called “Pose”. It will help Ulala’s share go higher if you strike a pose at the right time.
  • The only confirmed version for now is HTC Vive and Arcade, with potential PSVR, Gear VR, and Oculus coming later. Console versions should also be playable just with a joypad.
  • The game uses 4 strap motion controllers, positioned on ankles and wrists.
  • The storyline is entirely new with new songs coming together with some old songs. Okamura-san confirmed Mexican flyer.
  • No word on Space Michael’s presence.
  • Classic locations like the Space Port will be present and completely redesigned in 3D.
  • Ulala will sport a new contemporary design focused on upgrading her looks without losing the traditional retro-futuristic style.
  • Okamura-san called many of the people who worked at the original Space Channel 5 (and Part 2) to create this new episode in the Saga.

Also, @S.C.G may be interested by this tease.

Simone Salis: Okay, and you want to bring it to VR?

Mineko Okamura: So all the time I ask Futatsugi-san, so when do you make Panzer Dragoon VR? So you know so please make some noise to push him.

Simone Salis: Yes. We’ll push Futatsugi-san.

Takako Sakuma: Yes, she also needs supporter to push him to let him to make like a Panzer Dragoon VR.

Simone Salis: We’ll create a movement and ask him for that.

Takako Sakuma: Yes please.

• Thanks 2

I don't have a problem with Sega re-tooling their IP's for modern audiences, including VR platforms, so long as they follow the Rez model and make it optional.

Especially with something like Panzer Dragoon if it comes to fruition, because if they are taking the time to redo all the assets in HD then they should look the best on a big screen and decent enough on the various headsets, which we know have their resolution limitations.

They seem to mostly be going for games which can be played either way so far, which seems fine, because quite honestly... why limit your market to just VR?

Even if it is a growing one, making the game playable on conventional HDTV's will almost certainly ensure more sales.

So I'm all for Sega making Panzer Dragoon VR... just don't exclude the rest of us who would relish the chance to play a modern version of a Sega Saturn classic, so long as it's done right. :smile:

• Like 1

Man, that is pretty much exactly how I was imagining a potential new version of Space Channel 5 being played, way back in the Wii days! I remember one of the developers on HotD Overkill saying they really wanted to work on a SC5 game, which got me thinking about how well it could work with motion controls, looks like it does too. :) 

Here’s hoping it does indeed end up making it to console though and playable without the need for VR. A Switch version could easily retain those controls using split Joy-Con as well, so that would be great IF it did happen. :love:

Ulala sounds a bit weird though, guess it’s a new voice actress. :hmm:

• Thanks 1

Looks like the market isn't growing as fast as Sony were hoping for.

PlayStation VR was given a more measured appraisal, with Kodera stating that VR's growth is below market expectations. Indeed, in slides accompanying the presentation, PSVR was placed alongside PlayStation Vue and the mobile-focused ForwardWorks as challenging areas in need of improvement.

It is the same elsewhere.

That's pretty much in line with recent comments from Matt Conte (Oculus VR)

"I'm not going to mince words: VR is still small. There's not as many headsets out there as we thought there might be a couple of years ago", he said.

I still think the tech and price point just isn't there yet. The same goes for the software, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like the market isn't growing as fast as Sony were hoping for.

It is the same elsewhere.

I still think the tech and price point just isn't there yet. The same goes for the software, IMO. 

Not exactly surprising news.

Software is key for me, still looking for that system seller.

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Not exactly surprising news.

Software is key for me, still looking for that system seller.

The biggest issue for me is both the lack of killer software and the setup of the thing. The PSVR looks like a right mess to setup, what with all the wires all over the place. I'd be far more inclined to jump in once the tech is wireless but I have no idea how far away that is. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The biggest issue for me is both the lack of killer software and the setup of the thing. The PSVR looks like a right mess to setup, what with all the wires all over the place. I'd be far more inclined to jump in once the tech is wireless but I have no idea how far away that is. 

Exactly my feeling. I could have easily picked up a PSVR but apart from maybe Wipeout and Elite Dangerous there's nothing else that really tempted me in and I'd much rather wait for the sleeker updated model, probably out quite soon.

• Like 1

I just think VR is great but most days I'm happy enough using my TV. Maybe, as you guys say, if it was simpler to set up I'd be more inclined to throw it on when I play a game but currently it's in a box and I can't be bothered to unpack it again.

Regarding PC, i think a lot of headsets are sold second hand. This will keep the total number of units sold down. This is probably a result of the high price point and the required system specs.

A much-needed leap forward has been made, plus an idea of how good the tech needs to be:

Google and LG Display have joined forces to design the clearest OLED display to date. The 4.3-inch screen, which Google recently revealed at Display Week, is designed to push the boundaries of VR image quality with an incredible 1,443 ppi resolution. For comparison, Japan Display Inc unveiled its slightly smaller 1,001 ppi LCD screen earlier this month, which outclassed both the Oculus Go (538 ppi) and HTC's Vive Pro (615 ppi).

The display offers an impressive 120Hz refresh rate, which is also a step up from the 90Hz achieved on Oculus Rift and Vive Pro. Measuring in at 4,800 x 3,480 pixels per eye, these numbers indicate a serious jump in visual fidelity, but it's still nowhere near to matching human optics. In a research paper, Google's Staff Hardware Engineer Carlin Vieri said humans are capable of seeing 9,600 x 9,000 pixels per eye, and that our field of view can reach roughly 160 degrees horizontally and 150 degrees vertically. Google's prototype screen can manage 120 degrees.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/google-and-lg-display-have-made-the-highest-resolution-vr-screen-yet/ar-AAxMFm7?ocid=spartandhp

I've always loved the idea of VR, but think it needs to be more amazing for people to be properly grabbed.  It's good that strides are being made with field of view, as that shouldn't be underestimated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/05/2018 at 11:47 AM, Grazza said:

A much-needed leap forward has been made, plus an idea of how good the tech needs to be:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/google-and-lg-display-have-made-the-highest-resolution-vr-screen-yet/ar-AAxMFm7?ocid=spartandhp

I've always loved the idea of VR, but think it needs to be more amazing for people to be properly grabbed.  It's good that strides are being made with field of view, as that shouldn't be underestimated.

I think this misses the point completely. VR gaming isn't a big thing not because people want more tech. The games are what's lacking not the tech!

it needs a Super Mario Bros, Mario 64, Wii Sports type thing. 

For me it's the PC needed to run the headset rather than the headsets themselves. Im more than impressed at the current Vive and Oculus headsets to buy one, but I'm not spending another £600+ on a PC to run it.

31 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think this misses the point completely. VR gaming isn't a big thing not because people want more tech. The games are what's lacking not the tech!

No it's exactly what's needed. I'm not really in the loop of current VR games offerings, but I suspect it's enough to keep early adopters happy (which everyone still is at this point, with VR still not being really mainstream) for the moment. The game flood will come when VR gets big, which is when VR gets mass appeal, which is when the VR experience is as smooth as it can be, and VR headsets can be bought for cheap and require no other hardware (i.e. not needing to be hooked up to a desktop or other machine). These are require further developments in technology. For mass-appeal you need all this:

- a small comfortable headset
- wireless
- 100% smooth tracking
- higher resolution and dpi
- price of say, max 300 euros

This al requires more processing, which you need to fit in the headset, as like I've already said, you can't hook it up to another device in order to get mass-appeal. Technology isn't there yet, not by a long a shot. Current technology is adequate for the novelty uses you currently see, but as far as I'm aware it's not quite there yet for hardcore gaming, let alone for general amusement for the masses.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It might be that people just prefer to play on a TV.  However, I don't think I'm missing the point at all.  The aim of VR is to be so realistic it's visually indistinguishable from reality, whereas at the moment it's not too dissimilar to just seeing a giant screen in front of you.  The essential apps could even be something akin to Google Earth, where it takes you to a place it's very hard to visit otherwise - however, until the tech gives the "wow" factor, those experiences won't be believable.