NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

Been playing the PSVR today. Seems pretty good so far. The headset itself is more comfortable than my old Vive and while I expect my Vive was overall more impressive, just having the PSVR on a closed, more focused system really helps.

Mostly been playing Skyrim so far but as my Move controllers haven’t arrived yet I’m just using the DS4. It’s fun to play and nice being in that world. The only thing that lets it down is just how blurry/low res the world looks unless you are right up against something. It’s not ruining the experience for me but it is very noticeable.

Do you need the Move controllers to play with PSVR? Or, can you just use the DS4 for all games?

I think the majority of games can just use the DS4 if you want to. The only ones I’ve come across so far that asked for the move controllers were the Spider-Man Homecoming experience and Rec Room.

How is Skyrim VR? Something you'd recommend? I'm considering buying it for my Oculus. 

Regarding VR, I think it is great! But it is still pretty early and there is a long way to go until you can get truly immersed. But I see that I'm tricked into thinking I'm in a different environment if I don't think about it while playing VR-games. Some do this better than others. Hot dogs, horseshoes & hand grenades is my favourite go-to simulator and allround fun house for a quick round of VR. Other than that there are some interesting indie and patreon projects for the VR I spend a lot of time with. 

And speaking of which, the Oculus + Touch bundle is on Cyber Monday sale here in Norway. It is going for as low as £350. If you want a HMD only (no controllers) it is around £680 xD. Really cheap! I'm actually considering buying a set and selling it later on for a bit more...

On 11/25/2017 at 6:30 PM, Happenstance said:

I think the majority of games can just use the DS4 if you want to. The only ones I’ve come across so far that asked for the move controllers were the Spider-Man Homecoming experience and Rec Room.

I just have to chime in to say that Spider-Man Homecoming experience was the shittiest thing I have done on VR so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtMediocre said:

How is Skyrim VR? Something you'd recommend? I'm considering buying it for my Oculus. 

Regarding VR, I think it is great! But it is still pretty early and there is a long way to go until you can get truly immersed. But I see that I'm tricked into thinking I'm in a different environment if I don't think about it while playing VR-games. Some do this better than others. Hot dogs, horseshoes & hand grenades is my favourite go-to simulator and allround fun house for a quick round of VR. Other than that there are some interesting indie and patreon projects for the VR I spend a lot of time with. 

And speaking of which, the Oculus + Touch bundle is on Cyber Monday sale here in Norway. It is going for as low as £350. If you want a HMD only (no controllers) it is around £680 xD. Really cheap! I'm actually considering buying a set and selling it later on for a bit more...

I havent tried it with motion controls yet but with a controller its pretty good. Only real complaint is how blurry everything looks in the distance but the PC version would hopefully be better there. Its definitely the reason I bought a VR headset again after getting rid of my Vive and I'm not regretting it yet.

Spent hours yesterday playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes from the Oculus store. Brilliant game. If anyone wants a quick fun co-op game, give this a look. One person wears the headset and has to defuse a bomb, and the other uses the computer to read the manual and talk the player through it. (You can also print the manual or read it on another device etc)

Yeah I had it for the Vive and its really fun. Also available in non VR as well if people want to try it.

My other half has strongly hinted that I'll be finding a ps vr under the tree. Very exciting!!

What would you psvr owners recommend as essentials? I'll be picking up Resident Evil, Res Infinite and Thumper.

Whats the deal with Move controllers? Is there a way of getting them for less than 80 quid? Is this supposed rerelease happening soon? They look worth getting for when I'm with the family over christmas but.. are they?

On 12/17/2017 at 7:33 PM, dan-likes-trees said:

My other half has strongly hinted that I'll be finding a ps vr under the tree. Very exciting!!

What would you psvr owners recommend as essentials? I'll be picking up Resident Evil, Res Infinite and Thumper.

Whats the deal with Move controllers? Is there a way of getting them for less than 80 quid? Is this supposed rerelease happening soon? They look worth getting for when I'm with the family over christmas but.. are they?

Move controllers are great in VR. I dislike motion controls generally but in VR they work as extensions of your hands.

As for the games Resi7 is a must. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is a great little horror title that's pretty cheap.

Be aware thaf if you haven't played VR much there will probably be an adjustment period where you may be ill playing the first few times, especially with full-on games like Resi7. If you do feel sick stop immediately, you won't work through it, and try again when you're feeling okay. You will get used to it. A game has to be pretty full on for me to feel sick these days.

5 hours ago, somme said:

Move controllers are great in VR. I dislike motion controls generally but in VR they work as extensions of your hands.

As for the games Resi7 is a must. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is a great little horror title that's pretty cheap.

Be aware thaf if you haven't played VR much there will probably be an adjustment period where you may be ill playing the first few times, especially with full-on games like Resi7. If you do feel sick stop immediately, you won't work through it, and try again when you're feeling okay. You will get used to it. A game has to be pretty full on for me to feel sick these days.

I'd imagine wipe out VR will be vomit inducing. 

6 hours ago, somme said:

Cheers for that pal. I'll keep in mind that I won't be having a full on sesh on christmas day then! Have used my gear vr a fair bit so hopefully have acclimatised to some extent.

Amazon have 2 move controllers for 70 quid. Seems ppreeetttyy steep, but equally I'm keen to get some before chritmas so all the family can have a go. Is that a mental price / any idea where I can get them cheaper?

2 hours ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Cheers for that pal. I'll keep in mind that I won't be having a full on sesh on christmas day then! Have used my gear vr a fair bit so hopefully have acclimatised to some extent.

Amazon have 2 move controllers for 70 quid. Seems ppreeetttyy steep, but equally I'm keen to get some before chritmas so all the family can have a go. Is that a mental price / any idea where I can get them cheaper?

I got them for 70. Haven't seen them any cheaper elsewhere. :(

On 19/12/2017 at 8:34 PM, somme said:

I got them for 70. Haven't seen them any cheaper elsewhere. :(

Cheers for that guv. Bit the bullet and Amazon Primed them before Christmas day. Glad I did - can't imagine just using the dualshock!

So first impressions were... a bit underwhelming? More accurately, since the resolution is about on par with the Gear VR, the best that that has to offer (Smash Hit, the Assassin's Creed trailer / experience) is probably about as impressive. PSVR seem to share similar issues with everything seeming slightly blurry and low res, even if the build quality and screen door is a bit better.

After a deeper dive, though, I'm definitely enjoying it a lot, and the motion controls add a lot. Superhot VR is probably the best VR experience I've had - punching a dude in the face, grabbing his pistol as it flied through the air, physically ducking behind cover and popping up to splay some bullets.. it's amazing!! I definitely think the stylised look is more immersive than muddy attempts at realism. Plus it's super satisfying when the enemies crumble apart into polygons.

Been enjoying Thumper though I'm not 100% convinced VR adds that much seeings as you're only ever looking at about 120 degrees, Dirt Rally is pretty good fun, and Resi 7 I felt was initially a little underwhelming (everything is so fuzzy, picking up photographs in game I can barely make out what they're meant to be) but playing late last night I was definitely feeling the chills.. going to stick with it

Anyone got any other essential experiences? There's a good sale on psn at the moment..

Dirt rally I almost spewed, resi 7 I shit myself but enjoy the ability to slowly move your head round the corners. Adds to the intensity. I didn't think stuff would be as low res as it is. But you get used to it I think. 

I really need to test the PS VR, because I don't have any problems with resolution on my Oculus. The PC hardware is high end, so I can see it's not for everybody, but if the resolution quality of the PSVR is so low, it puts the whole VR-experience in a bad light. 

If you get the chance, try Elite Dangerous or Robo Recall with Oculus or HTC Vive. I'm sure you'll be positively surprised :).

I’ve owned both the Vive and PSVR and while PSVR is lower resolution, I didn’t find it noticeably bad in comparison to the Vive.

Okay, so then it should be a hardware issue then? With the PS4 and Pro not being able to crank out the needed graphics? I've read that Skyrim looks like a blurry mess. Would be nice to have that game on PC as well, for a proper comparison.

On 29/12/2017 at 11:46 PM, ArtMediocre said:

I've read that Skyrim looks like a blurry mess.

The problem with this, Fallout and Doom is that people have the non-VR games to compare with so they're being a bit over the top about it.

The PSVR is definitely a noticeably lower res (and generally lower quality all around) but as soon as you're immersed in it, you just don't care.  On the occasions where the stars align and I can actually get the tracking to work properly, PSVR is just as enjoyable to me as my Vive.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

The problem with this, Fallout and Doom is that people have the non-VR games to compare with so they're being a bit over the top about it.

The PSVR is definitely a noticeably lower res (and generally lower quality all around) but as soon as you're immersed in it, you just don't care.  On the occasions where the stars align and I can actually get the tracking to work properly, PSVR is just as enjoyable to me as my Vive.

I very rarely, almost never, have issues with tracking. Have you got too much natural light in the room? Any mirrors or anything that could interfere with the tracking? The first day I got my PSVR the screen kept dipping to black every 30 seconds or so. Took me a while to realise it was the sunbeams shining through the slats in my blinds interfering. 

And regarding graphics, I totally agree with you. Yes, they're nowhere near as modern as something like Horizon: Zero Dawn but you have to remember you're in the game. 

10 minutes ago, somme said:

I very rarely, almost never, have issues with tracking. Have you got too much natural light in the room? Any mirrors or anything that could interfere with the tracking? The first day I got my PSVR the screen kept dipping to black every 30 seconds or so. Took me a while to realise it was the sunbeams shining through the slats in my blinds interfering.

I've found having the room be in complete darkness helps.  I'm still trying to find the time to mount the PlayStation Camera much higher up facing down as when I've temporarily had it in that position I've had a lot more luck with it.

The symptoms it has when it's not working quite right, is that it feels like it's almost constantly swaying.  Not by much but by enough that it starts to make me feel ill.

Just in case this is putting anybody off, it's almost certainly an issue with the way I've got it setup rather than being an inherent issue.

14 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

The symptoms it has when it's not working quite right, is that it feels like it's almost constantly swaying.  Not by much but by enough that it starts to make me feel ill.

I have had this issue before. Do you tend to leave your PS4 on rest mode? Myself and others have found that if you play VR, put the PS4 on rest mode, and the play VR again straight away, this swaying issue is more common. I try to, if I remember, turn off the PS4 completely and then turn it back on. 

• Thanks 1

So I've seen a bit of stuff online about using the PSVR with a PC using some middleware.

Has anyone tried this yet? How did it all go?

This is from a foreign site and isnt being reported anywhere else but people think that they broke embargo by accident as we know there was a Vive announcement coming. Its also been run through Google Translate so thats why it may not read quite right.

HTC Announces Vive Pro and Vive Wireless Adapters

After the announcement at the weekend follows now as expected the official press release: HTC announces its new headset Vive Pro , which wants to shine with a higher resolution and integrated loudspeakers. There is also a new Vive wireless adapter .

Vive Pro: Update 1.5 with 3K and speakers

Those looking for a completely new model may be disappointed - but the Vive Pro offers a welcome update - the original HTC Vive remains in the program. The Vive Pro has two OLED displays with a common resolution of 2880 x 1600 pixels, which makes it similar to the Vive Focus from the same company. Overall, the new headset has thus increased by 78 percent resolution and should achieve a much sharper and clearer presentation. For comparison: The "normal" HTC Vive offers 2160 x 1200 pixels.

A welcome innovation is the integration of speakers, which should increase the comfort significantly. Owners of the old model had to resort to the Deluxe Audio Strap , which should be superfluous in the Vive Pro now. HTC intends to provide information on the availability and price of the new VR headset later.

In addition, the manufacturer announces the Vive Wireless Adapter for the HTC Vive and HTC Vive Pro , with which you can connect the headset without a cable to the PC. The adapter uses Intel's WiGig technology, unlike TPCast , but you have to be patient for a while. Only in the third quarter of 2018 should the adapter come on the market. Open and exciting the price remains: Although TPCast for the first HTC Vive available, but for around 350 € anything but a bargain. Whether the Vive Wireless Adapter can position itself here as a price-breaker remains to be seen. Whether TPCast with the HTC Vive Pro without (too) large latency problems or even works remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1