NEurope
Daft

Virtual Reality

Yesterday I set up my Oculus sensors onto wallmounts, cheap ones from amazon. Work really well! I followed a guide on reddit and now I have some much better 360 degree tracking. I also bought a new desk and rearranged my room a bit and now I have much more space. I had some friends over and I gave each of them the robot intro game to play, didn't really explain anything except how to "grab" with the touch controllers and they were all blown away.

I remember you saying when house hunting you could use a room for VR. Nice to see your dreams come true!

• Like 1

A new PSVR revision is on the way very soon.

Is there a new PlayStation VR model? How is it different?
A hardware update to PlayStation VR is being prepared. The new version, model number CUH-ZVR2, features an updated design that enables the stereo headphone cables to be integrated with the VR headset and a slimmer, streamlined connection cable. There’s also an updated Processor Unit that supports HDR pass through, enabling users to enjoy HDR-compatible PS4 content on a TV without having to disconnect the Processor Unit in between the TV and the PS4 system. This function can be used only when the VR headset is turned off.

When will the new PS VR model become available in North America? How much will it be?
We will share details on the launch timing in North America at a later date. The pricing of the PS VR bundles will remain the same.

How can I distinguish between the old PS VR headset and the new one when I’m purchasing?
The packaging for PlayStation VR will change slightly when the new model hits stores. To differentiate, look for the model number printed on the box. The previous PS VR’s model number is CUH-ZVR1, and the new PS VR’s model number is CUH-ZVR2. Also, the product image on the packaging will be updated to show changes on the new model, like the integrated headphones on the VR headset.

If I already own a PS VR, can I swap out my old Processor Unit with the updated one?
Because the cables of CUH-ZVR1 and CUH-ZVR2 are different, you cannot swap the Processor Units.

Are the PS VR games I already own compatible with the new model?
Yes, all PS VR games are compatible with both PS VR models.

Old

DLHgUkDU8AAC4JW.jpg:large

New

DLHgVIOUQAAe7G9.jpg:large

Frustrating that the new one includes a breakout box which can pass HDR through.  Having to switch the cable over everytime I want to play the PSVR is really annoying at the minute.

Looks like the future is bright for PSVR. I've actually got quite the backlog to get through!

(Double post I couldn't figure out how to delete!)

Edited by somme
Too early.

9 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Man, that is tempting.

But, I know I'd struggle to get around to using it. Buuuuuut...Resident Evil on that. Hnnnnnggggg.

Shopto are doing the same bundles but give you Farpoint for free as well. A bunch of other bundles are popping up from various retailers, some of which are £299.99 but gives you a couple of Move controllers.

What are people’s thoughts with VR? I haven’t actually experienced it, so am not a fair one to judge at all, however to me it seems very niche. Like I say, I can’t judge until I try it but is this something that will be used heavily (which I’d kind of want for the price) or is it something that just gets rolled out once every few months? 

There doesn’t seem to be anything ‘must have’ about it. If you have friends over a lot I guess it could be a lot of fun but for the lone solo gamer it doesn’t seem like it would be worth the money? Correct me if I’m wrong though :)

Annoying, paid a stupid amount of money for it all, plus buying camera and move controllers.... barely used it.... camera broken....

If the PSVR bundle is still available in December after I get paid I might be tempted to get it. The reason I got rid of the Vive was more for lack of space so I didn’t use it. I wouldn’t mind a cheaper, more focused bit of hardware and I quite like the idea of playing Skyrim in VR.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:07 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Shopto are doing the same bundles but give you Farpoint for free as well. A bunch of other bundles are popping up from various retailers, some of which are £299.99 but gives you a couple of Move controllers.

I looked at the deal for a good 10 minutes or so and ummed and ahhed over it. In the end, I decided not to go for it. There just isn't quite enough out there at the moment that makes good use of VR to tip me over the edge into buying it. Also, most of my gaming time is taken up by Overwatch. So, I don't think I'd get good value out of it right now.

If there was a sequel to Alien Isolation that used VR, I'd jump in. 

On 11/17/2017 at 10:21 AM, Aneres11 said:

What are people’s thoughts with VR? I haven’t actually experienced it, so am not a fair one to judge at all, however to me it seems very niche. Like I say, I can’t judge until I try it but is this something that will be used heavily (which I’d kind of want for the price) or is it something that just gets rolled out once every few months? 

There doesn’t seem to be anything ‘must have’ about it. If you have friends over a lot I guess it could be a lot of fun but for the lone solo gamer it doesn’t seem like it would be worth the money? Correct me if I’m wrong though :)

I can't speak from experience but everyone I know who got a PSVR (ok three people) said they used it for a couple of weeks and have barely touched it since. Personally I think it's still missing that must-have game.

• Thanks 1

Got to admit, I was surprised to see that Skyrim VR charted higher than Skyrim for Switch in its opening weekend.

34 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Got to admit, I was surprised to see that Skyrim VR charted higher than Skyrim for Switch in its opening weekend.

Probably helped it was bundled with the starter pack. 

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, Aneres11 said:

Great potential, but needs much higher resolution (perhaps 8k) and possibly some sort of optical way of making it more realistic.

I really enjoy it, but I must admit my interest waned somewhat after not very long. There's a few top tier titles but the more I play it, the more I struggle to suspend my disbelief and the "screen door" effect becomes more apparent, physically and mentally*. PSVR is dropping in price and part of me wishes I'd got one of those instead, because software support is key to getting the ball to keep rolling.

Also agree with Grazza above. The tech is great but it needs to be even better. I'm playing it at about as high quality as is currently possible, and it could still be bigger and better. FoV could be wider, wireless and less bulky options in the future will also make it a much better experience.

* Secret pro tip, the immersion can return/fun can increase after a beer or two

Argos currently have the Worlds Starter Bundle for £240.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bob said:

Argos currently have the Worlds Starter Bundle for £240.

Thanks, just ordered the Skyrim bundle for collection tomorrow.

• Like 1