NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fused King

#10 - N-Europe: Let's Talk Games (Wii Sports)

Yes, we're doing it, we're actually doing it!

wii-sports-boxart-big.jpg

The game, along with its system, that redefined the industry.

Bowling was hands down my favourite sport from this game. So many hours were spent on this alone. It's also the most complete compared to the other 4 sports.

I love Wii Sports and it really changed the way I viewed videogames. I played bowling regularly with my mum who had never touched a game before and it was an amazing experience. Golf was my personal favourite..I put hundreds of hours into that!

I just wish they supported the game a bit more. I know we got WSR but I would have loved for Golf to have an online tournament mode and maybe some new holes/courses.

Revolutionary. Putting gaming into the hands of non-gamers. The amount of non-gamers in my own generation and those in the generation above me who found this common connection between one of my greatest passions was truly remarkable. EVERYONE had a go, I'd hazard a guess to say I know very few people who didn't play Wii Sports, and I saw Wiis in households where I never expected it. For what it accomplished in that feat alone, was just outstanding.

I think it's interesting that NINTENDO managed to bridge generational gaps with household versions of things you could do outside as a family too :laughing:

Think about it:

You could go out and perhaps golf with your grandfather.

Play Tennis, Bowling with your family.

Get rough with your sis, big bro' or father and have a little boxing match.

Gather together the entire family and play some baseball.

Of course, this all would require a lot more preparation and money so NINTENDO finding a way for people to enjoy these things inside the house was pretty interesting to see.

Personally, I still much more enjoy the real thing than playing a sport on a console. I just don't see the appeal of doing something through a controller when I could be doing it through my body and actually DO it as well.

This is a game with a lot of depth that went unappreciated by many. Many who dismiss it because it looks very simple on the surface don't ever get the chance to plumb the depths and discover all the nuances to the controls and the gameplay mechanics (I still remember the joy I felt when I managed to get over 50 points in Wii Sports Tennis' Target Practice mode! :D ).

Anyone who thinks you can play a match and win just by flailing around or flicking your wrist while sitting down, clearly hasn't played against someone competent :p Many people don't even know that you can actually hit a drop shot or a lob in tennis or even don't know how to control the direction of your shot! (Hint: the direction is controlled by the timing of your hit. The later your swing, the further outward your shot flies ;) You can even vary the height of your lob by hitting the ball softer when you upswing!)

Even Boxing (probably the weakest of the 5 sports), while somewhat friendly to flailers, does actually allow for nuanced control if you know how to do body blows and uppercuts properly (or even dodge! Lots of people don't even know that you can actually make your Mii move by tilting both the Wiimote and the Nunchuck in the direction that you want to move...)

And of course there's all the little hidden touches in there that make it really feel like a Nintendo game (like the way that the crowd reacts when your tennis ball flies towards them, or the fact that you can actually throw your bowling ball backwards, or even into someone else's lane! (And knock down their pins for them! :o )

Simple to pick up but hard to master. The hallmark of any great game is certainly found in Wii Sports, even if you can't see it on the surface!

Wii Sports was a revolution.

And I enjoyed it as much as the royals enjoyed the French Revolution.

Nintendo's most violent game...

wii4.gif

When I played this I just nodded in awe. It was in the same bracket as seeing Mario Bros. on the NES again or playing F-Zero or Mario64 for the first time. It was just...incredible. It was Nintendo at their genre-defining best, and thankfully everyone wanted to share this experience. In hindsight it pretty much justified my reason to those who doubted this secluded hobby I had.

Wii sports also justified my faith in this industry as after the Gamecube I was feeling burnt out having gamed since the mainstream inception of the industry. Not only that but it reaffirmed by adoration for Nintendo as both a hardware and a software manufacturer. The Wii remote and small console design are still perfect in my opinion.

I still play Wii sports with my grandfather. It is the great equaliser in our household. A great laugh and something we can all play. He uses this as part of his health programme each morning so it has been a pivotal part of his life (and our relationship) for the past six and a half years. That is insane longevity and he still hasn't mastered it. He never talks about the graphics, doesn't commentate on the sound nor production values. He just experiences pure gameplay. I'm sometimes jealous of that.

That's why Wii sports is genius. It represents the variance and skill of real sport in a digital manner showing Nintendo's craft and intelligence in equal measure.

And to show the true power of this game, my GF works with a young lad in his 20's who has severe learning difficulties and he LOVES Wii Sports. He has his Mii characters and has made all of the staff and plays it with the staff frequently. We're not just talking a 'game' here. We're seeing how software can improve quality of life. That is such a powerful thing that Nintendo themselves are chasing this aspiration today.

Wii sports is all-encompassing. It shows the flexibility of video games. It took balls to release and changed Nintendo in fundamental ways yet with software like Wii Sports, letting as many as possible enjoy social gaming, the games industry is a better place. Many lament the fact that it was a flash in the pan for Nintendo. But that flash saved Nintendo in so many ways introducing them to a whole new generation of gamers and bringing rich reward to their business after the PS2 dominated the previous generation.

The WiiU may have skipped a beat, but Wii Sports showed that Nintendo still have the heart and passion to breathe life into not only the games industry but the entire world.

A revolution was promised. A revolution is what we got.

Edited by tapedeck

'Is that a remote stuck in your TV screen?'

'No it's a Wii-mote actually...'

[/Thread]

:laughing:

Hmmm, I guess N-Europe likes to play games and discuss the industry more than they like to talk about games.

Hmmm, I guess N-Europe likes to play games and discuss the industry more than they like to talk about games.

The game and its content is, quite simply, overshadowed by its accomplishments in whats being mentioned. I did think when writing my post that it wasn't actually saying anything about the game itself, and I would top it up later(was short on time) - but looking at it I just...hmm. The revolutionary aspect of it was heavily tied to the gameplay I guess? It wouldn't have been what it was without that all inclusiveness.

I think the bigger thing, too, is that we're all gamers here. We all know about games etc. Passionate about them. To see our passion shared and appreciated by so many people who otherwise wouldn't have - that transcends the finer details of gameplay. That makes everyone a part of our world, they finally understand the joy of our passion and why it means so much to us, it's that moment of sharing that just makes it so much more than just a game. I think that's why nobody's quite discussing it quite as such, either.

My view on this game would probably be seen as controversial and cause arguments in the thread, so I didn't bother posting it.

My view on this game would probably be seen as controversial and cause arguments in the thread, so I didn't bother posting it.

Same. I get that it was a milestone and a very important game. I get that it was good.

But I'm most definitely NOT a fan of what it stands for. It lacks everything I love about videogames (excepty intuitiveness, I guess...).

Won't call it a bad game, because it just isn't (by any measure of the word)... but it is the antithesis of what I look for in videogames. There was nothing in it for me. A game I own and respect, but which I will never like, much less love.

Everything I just said also applies to the sequel.

This game is the single greatest launch game of all time besting both Tetris and Super Mario 64 for demonstrating what the console is about. But does that make it a great game? Not at all.

The game is only notible for its input mechanics. Remove that and you're left with an incredibly basic game. The actual gameplay is no more sophistocated than the NES games that did golf, tennis and baseball back in the 80s. The only thing that is different is that now instead of pressing buttons on a controller, you swing the Wii Remote. The inability to be able to move you player in Tennis is a hinderence that results in the forced doubles and a simpler game than those Tennis games from two decades prior that allowed for better tactics, and mind games, when it came to positioning.

The asthetic design is so inoffensive it goes full circle and becomes another irratant. Not so bad in multiplayer but it feels absolutely soulless when I play it by myself. The only game I mildly enjoy is golf but the pitiful number of holes prevents any long term enjoyment.

The dearth of content harks back to its demo origins and frankly, had the game shipped with normal controls, no one would have given it a second of thought for its actual gameplay.

Tried and true gameplay make for solid foundations sure, but outside of its control scheme, it's unremarkable in every way imaginable.

Wii Sports is a curious one, no doubt. It was definitely a revolution (and I think that aspect has been mentioned enough in this thread) but it was, above all, a very fun game.

I always felt that games were getting hard to get into. It's one thing to let friends mash buttons in a fighting game, but if you play anything else, you have to spend 10 minutes trying to get them to understand the controls. (What happened to good old times of A,B,C and D-Pad?)

Wii Sports wasn't like that at all, and that's what makes it such a great party game. Everyone knows what to do, or at the very least, where to start.

-Wii Tennis is the most played game in this household. It's fun and fast-paced, best one for multiplayer.

-Wii Bowling comes second. This one is easier to play though, getting strikes is fairly easy and straightforward.

-Wii Baseball is fairly played as well. It's fun, even though most people know jack about the rules.

-Wii Golf got quite a few plays, but the required patience means it's not as frequently played.

-Wii Boxing the need of an extra nunchuck threw this one into obscurity. A shame, considering it's actually quite fun. I had a great time with it when I first got it, and my younger cousins liked to play it when by themselves.

It does what it does very well, to the point where it has become THE standard for a number of modern games.

In the end, I can't even bring myself to give it a score, since it's barely a game: it's part of the console. The default mode, so to speak.

It's such a strange game for me, in that the gameplay it offers is really quite basic, but that's essentially the point of it, and it's effect on the gaming industry cannot be understated.

@Dcubed is right that there was additional depth to the game mechanics and it did have a lot of enjoyable Nintendo touches. Essentially though, the game was still quite limited in options, with limited holes in golf, lack of different tennis courts, no option to control your players, only a few 'goals'. There are few games that are immediately as playable though. You have this new control method that's completely different to console gaming before, yet you hand the controller to a person with whatever level of gaming experience and they'll be able to play the game. This alone was a staggering achievement and the way the game spread throughout the world was incredible.

Yes, many people probably only played one Wii game, but this was it. If Nintendo can find another 'Wii Sports' then the WiiU would become a completely different console. Rarely has one game defined a console as much as Wii Sports for the Wii.

...?

Has it come to this?

Are we now at the point where people start with self-censorship?

The whole point of these threads is to come to understand different opinions on games without condeming one another like some of us have been doing for a while now.

It's group therapy!

Anyway, I'm taking a 1 week break from this, because it's already thursday.

I'm still in internet troubles, but I we will continue with number 11 come Sunday!

...?

Has it come to this?

Kinda. I figure what's the point of trying to give my thoughts on the game when I know my views on it will be slammed. It's an unnecessary hassle.

The sad thing for me is that just like Nintendo Land, Nintendo did not follow it up. Wii sports whilst brilliant was a glorified demo. EA really got to grips with motion play with Tiger Woods and Grand Slam tennis. There was also Virtua tennis but why didn't Nintendo make a proper, golf, tennis, baseball, boxing, bowling game with online, proper graphics a single player mode etc?

The sad thing for me is that just like Nintendo Land, Nintendo did not follow it up. Wii sports whilst brilliant was a glorified demo. EA really got to grips with motion play with Tiger Woods and Grand Slam tennis. There was also Virtua tennis but why didn't Nintendo make a proper, golf, tennis, baseball, boxing, bowling game with online, proper graphics a single player mode etc?

Why bother? Wii Sports was too busy printing money and Nintendo were too busy counting it. I believe this was about the time that Nintendo became lazy and even more complacent. They launched basically a glorified demo as you said on a console that was essentially a Gamecube 1.2 that made a sizeable profit right off the bat. It was easy money for little effort, Nintendo couldn't believe their luck and have been looking to repeat this success for little effort with a lot of their software since.

...?

Has it come to this?

This is why I said something flippant and didn't put my serious views on the game, and I understand exactly why @Hero\-of\-Time didn't want to either. This is not just a controversial game like Skyward Sword or Metroid: Other M, where people simply have different opinions. My analysis of Wii Sports would totally blast the Wii itself, and much of Nintendo's approach to gaming since 2006.

I'd quite like to do it, to be honest, but I don't want to start an argument or upset people, and yet it probably would.

This is why I said something flippant and didn't put my serious views on the game, and I understand exactly why @Hero\-of\-Time didn't want to either. This is not just a controversial game like Skyward Sword or Metroid: Other M, where people simply have different opinions. My analysis of Wii Sports would totally blast the Wii itself, and much of Nintendo's approach to gaming since 2006.

I'd quite like to do it, to be honest, but I don't want to start an argument or upset people, and yet it probably would.

Sounds like we are on the same page.

Wii Sports was a great distraction. It was also good game to play with people who didn't like games.

Ultimately, though, that's all it was. Something to do after you've finished Twilight Princess and were waiting for the next batch of games. When I my second Wii, neither Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort (both were free) entered my console. I even game them away around a month ago. I've also yet to start the trials for the HD versions.

As a game, I don't think it's particularly good. It did its job wonderfully, its just that the job it had was to appeal to people who didn't like games, rather than those who already did.

Aren't games meant to be great distractions? :P

I'd define top tier games in such a way. Sure there are multiple things we like such as an engaging story/multiplayer. But I would say the level of 'distraction' a game has demonstrates it's addictive nature

As a game it is simple mechanically yet that is the class as it allows for mastery to take place for all levels of players - specifically when in a multiplayer context where people can test their skill against others.

Wii sports harkens back to the inception of games. It was a huge step back yet introduced a new way to play perfectly.

I can understand the hate. Gaming had come a long way from both a presentation and control perspective and Wii sports almost stuck two fingers up to everything that came before. Including things such as online gaming/achievements and more staples that many expect as standard in software. Yet for me - it distilled gaming in its purest form and was a great way to introduce millions more to the gaming world. Sure, they didn't all hang around for WiiU but if this industry is to keep growing it needs 'gateway drugs' titles like Wii sports.

Edited by tapedeck

Sign in to follow this