NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Working your notice is completely soul destroying. Last day is 2 weeks this Friday and I cannot wait!

Did really well in the aptitude test and got called back for an interview! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

I got the job! =D

I start my new part-time job on May 12, whooooo! (and then I go on holiday for a few days from May 14 haha.) :yay:

I will be on poverty pay, but at least I will get to be creative, yay! I might ask my current job as well if I can get part-time hours there, but not counting on it.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I got the job! =D

I start my new part-time job on May 12, whooooo! (and then I go on holiday for a few days from May 14 haha.) :yay:

I will be on poverty pay, but at least I will get to be creative, yay! I might ask my current job as well if I can get part-time hours there, but not counting on it.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Well done!

Got my first full time job in Allied Irish Banks today!

Got my first full time job in Allied Irish Banks today!

Wow! Well done. What is it that you will be doing?

Did my proof reading test yesterday. Feel like I smashed it. On Wednesday I spent the evening doing past exams and I didn't seem to do well. But the actual test felt a bit easier thanks to the revision as there were several patterns in every exam, that and being able to use a dictionary when I didn't during the practice tests - left me rather confident.

Wow! Well done. What is it that you will be doing?

Direct sales customer advisor, which is basically a phone role where I advise customers on certain things. Also during the interview, they said I was so good I made their day, which I thought was ridiculous. I'm so happy though!

Direct sales customer advisor, which is basically a phone role where I advise customers on certain things. Also during the interview, they said I was so good I made their day, which I thought was ridiculous. I'm so happy though!

That's probably a warning of how boring it is working there. Beware!

So here is a question do people tell their bosses when they are going for interviews?

Allow me to give some context. I have got an interview for a promotion of sorts within our company. It's a move across into a different area of the company. I currently am a liaison for adults with autism who receive 24 hour residential care. The role I'm interviewing for is as a consultant for children with autism in my local area rather than the city I currently work at which is an hour away.

Now the reason I ask about whether I should tell me boss is because she once blocked me from getting another job. I applied for two different liaison positions at the same time when I was a part time casual staff. I was due to interview for both within the space of a week. My bosses happened to fall first and she then withdrew my application from the other and forced the other guy to call me and say he couldn't interview me because she was going to offer me her role even though I wanted the other job over this one namely due to the client base. I've heard other rumours of her preventing people from applying for jobs and withdrawing their applications citing them not being ready and her thinking it would be beneficial to stay in her team. My thought is she is protecting her own interests by retaining staff who are good at their jobs at the expense of their own career progression.

So my interview is on Tuesday, outside of work hours...I'll see my boss in a meeting tomorrow do I keep it to myself?

So my interview is on Tuesday, outside of work hours...I'll see my boss in a meeting tomorrow do I keep it to myself?

I would keep it to yourself until after they make an offer -or require a reference. But that's just me.

In other me news: I resigned today after 7 years at my school to move on to a MUCH bigger school (think 10x the number of students) with AMAZING benefits and a FANTASTIC salary.

So why am I not happier?

They're taking the piss.

You can make a claim to an employment tribunal for 'unlawful deduction from wages' under Section 13 of the Employment Rights Act 1996. If it is stated in your contract that you are meant to receive double pay for working today then it shouldn't be a difficult process as you have the proof that you are owed what you are owed.

Before you do this you will want to submit an official grievance to your employer stating what you are owed, why you think you are owed this money and the attempts you have made to get the money (speaking to them previously). You won't be able to do this until after you have received your pay for the month and have seen that is is less than it should be.

This PDF has more information.

But beware, final judgement and settlement takes months, unless your employers make an early agreement to settle the case.

I had work problems at the end of January, the judgement takes place this Friday.

Messed up system.

So here is a question do people tell their bosses when they are going for interviews?

Allow me to give some context. I have got an interview for a promotion of sorts within our company. It's a move across into a different area of the company. I currently am a liaison for adults with autism who receive 24 hour residential care. The role I'm interviewing for is as a consultant for children with autism in my local area rather than the city I currently work at which is an hour away.

Now the reason I ask about whether I should tell me boss is because she once blocked me from getting another job. I applied for two different liaison positions at the same time when I was a part time casual staff. I was due to interview for both within the space of a week. My bosses happened to fall first and she then withdrew my application from the other and forced the other guy to call me and say he couldn't interview me because she was going to offer me her role even though I wanted the other job over this one namely due to the client base. I've heard other rumours of her preventing people from applying for jobs and withdrawing their applications citing them not being ready and her thinking it would be beneficial to stay in her team. My thought is she is protecting her own interests by retaining staff who are good at their jobs at the expense of their own career progression.

It depends very much on who your manager is and the relationship you have with them I guess. I've generally told my managers in the past and they were always very supportive. I didn't tell my last manager but that was only because I wasn't really working for them anyway and so didn't have much, if any, relationship with them - I did tell the manager of the team I was working for though and she gave me a lot of coaching and assistance to help strengthen my position for my current role.

And within my team, I've told all of them at some poit or another that if they want to go for another job, tell me and I'll do what I can to help them get it. My job is to get the best out of my team and having someone working for me who doesn't want to be there doesn't help either of us. I've had one guy go through a couple of interviews for one role and we always talk about it before and after - it helps to build and maintain that trust.

Your manager on the other hand doesn't sound like someone you can rely on to have your best interests at heart and I can't say I'd let her know my plans if I could help it. As you say, she thinks she's protecting her own interests but she really isn't because when you end up walking out the door and not come back due to stifled career progression, both her team and the business have lost you - and that's on her.

As for me, I keep flip-flopping between feeling ok in my role (on the understanding I have more to learn still) and just wanting to throw the towel in as some things just don't feel worth the effort. I'm starting to get a little more comfortable in the past couple of weeks after a bit of a rough patch but it's still early days yet. Each month, the managers normally nominate someone from their teams for performance recognition but last month, I was a recipient of recognition and some vouchers for my efforts which makes me the only manager to have been nominated since we introduced the scheme in January - actually, I was nominated in January too but it was vito'd on the grounds that mangers shouldn't be rewarded. But although others seem to be happy with what I'm doing, I still can't help but feel I'm not doing enough and not doing it to the standard it should be. It doesn't help that my current manager is only on a contract and hasn't been made permanent yet. I really enjoy working for her and she's just what our department needs but she's had offers to go elsewhere, not surprising really, and I do have some concerns about the type of person they'd get in to replace her. It's just an extra element of uncertainty when I'm alreay so undecided.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I would keep it to yourself until after they make an offer -or require a reference. But that's just me.

Thanks! You basically reinforced my view!

It depends very much on who your manager is and the relationship you have with them I guess. I've generally told my managers in the past and they were always very supportive. I didn't tell my last manager but that was only because I wasn't really working for them anyway and so didn't have much, if any, relationship with them - I did tell the manager of the team I was working for though and she gave me a lot of coaching and assistance to help strengthen my position for my current role.

And within my team, I've told all of them at some poit or another that if they want to go for another job, tell me and I'll do what I can to help them get it. My job is to get the best out of my team and having someone working for me who doesn't want to be there doesn't help either of us. I've had one guy go through a couple of interviews for one role and we always talk about it before and after - it helps to build and maintain that trust.

Your manager on the other hand doesn't sound like someone you can rely on to have your best interests at heart and I can't say I'd let her know my plans if I could help it. As you say, she thinks she's protecting her own interests but she really isn't because when you end up walking out the door and not come back due to stifled career progression, both her team and the business have lost you - and that's on her.

Yeah see in the past I have told other managers and it's been fine. However like you pointed out she is protecting her interests. It's a tough one..I think the reason she does things like this is because she wants to keep the staff she can rely. I have kind of become indispensable and we have a close working relationship just because of how much crap I've sorted out. However this could work to my disadvantage.

Yeah see in the past I have told other managers and it's been fine. However like you pointed out she is protecting her interests. It's a tough one..I think the reason she does things like this is because she wants to keep the staff she can rely. I have kind of become indispensable and we have a close working relationship just because of how much crap I've sorted out. However this could work to my disadvantage.

She's trying to keep them but at what cost? If you're doing a great job in your area, you could be doing a great job in another area - an area in more need of your skills and abilities. You do need people you can rely on as a manager sure, but you have to have different kinds of people. Some want to come in, work hard and move up the ladder. Others want to come in and do their 9-5 and that's it. That isn't to say they won't work hard and you can't rely on them. They just aren't looking for any more responsibility than they already have from their current role. It fits into their life style and will come in day after day and do a good job until they choose to retire. And then you have those who just see it as a job and don't really care. And as much as you want a team of high flyers made up of that first group, you'll never be able to keep them around as they will be always looking for more. You want a healthy mix of the different types, well maybe not the latter group I mentioned, but it's those "lifers" who should be forming the bedrock of the team instead of pinning all your hopes on the star pupil - hold them back and then their performance will suffer as a result. Obviously I'm talking generally here as it depends on the nature of the job.

So yeah, I wouldn't tell this person - it sounds like they are getting more out of this relationship than you are currently.

Edited by Captain Falcon

In other me news: I resigned today after 7 years at my school to move on to a MUCH bigger school (think 10x the number of students) with AMAZING benefits and a FANTASTIC salary.

So why am I not happier?

There seems to be this sense of more money + benefits = happier. But it just isn't true.

My new job is the same, its got better hours, more money, better benefits and I'm not as stressed.

Am I happier, in once sense yes, but mostly no. Its tough. I guess you just have to remember that the money and benefits will pay off!

There seems to be this sense of more money + benefits = happier. But it just isn't true.

My new job is the same, its got better hours, more money, better benefits and I'm not as stressed.

Am I happier, in once sense yes, but mostly no. Its tough. I guess you just have to remember that the money and benefits will pay off!

I feel for me that the biggest issue is that I have become institutionalised here -I'm used to the same way of doing things, the same routine etc. But that's a hugely negative aspect of this job for me: I'm bored where I am now, and I want a new challenge. I wonder however if I am biting off more than I can chew.

I feel for me that the biggest issue is that I have become institutionalised here -I'm used to the same way of doing things, the same routine etc. But that's a hugely negative aspect of this job for me: I'm bored where I am now, and I want a new challenge. I wonder however if I am biting off more than I can chew.

Bite-Off-More-Than-You-Can-Chew-Then-Chew-It.jpg

Moved teams last week. That's the only good bit.

The bad, i've been hearing my new TL is a bit of a nutcase (and i've overheard them, but not known it was them until told). Callers are worse than ever, to the point i've actually done something i've not done before, and that was literally have a cry (yes, you read that right). Callers, and this job to be fair, have broken me. It's been noticed by friends, family and people whom know me that i'm not right and something is wrong. I'm hunting for a new job, but nothing is coming up. I'm getting depressed with being rejected due to not having the "experience" required for the role. Which is making things worse, because the only other way out is quitting. Which looks bad for looking for job hunting.

Management have been told by myself that i'm not happy, but alas do nout.

Thanks! You basically reinforced my view!

If you ask me a good manager would recognise that good staff sometimes either need to move on, or do their best to try and encourage that good staff to stay with the team. As I've said before I came to this department to do a bit of audit work for a week or two - 3 years later and I'm still here in a unique role gathering all sorts of experience with a lot of flexibility/self-management - my boss must have seen something in me to give me the oppurtunities she has and as a result of both that the great working environment of staff she seems to have crafted I'm very reluctant to leave without a bloody good reason to.

I see.

Perhaps, but at least you're doing it. You my stay where you are and wonder otherwise.

Barclays have announced up to 19000 job cuts, 14000 this year. The majority of these will be coming from the Investment Bank.

Kind of worrying for myself even though I'm not in the IB as a lot of cuts will be coming from other areas in the UK (around half of total this year). Hopefully my team will be fine as no one has heard anything yet and Barclays are good at letting your know personally if you're affected before the announcement is made, my manager was interviewing for another contractor within my team and around half of the jobs that are to be cut in the UK this year are already gone.

We've now been told by our senior manager that the changes shouldn't affect us. Woohoo!

Edited by Charlie

So today I got promoted at work, team leader of my current team

Alongside this doing freelance work for an esport live streaming company which was designed to go full time, but the money isn't great. Will freelance for a while though.

Also found out that I didn't get to stage 4 (of at least 5) of another job I applied for.

Think that's all from me!