NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Congrats @MoogleViper!

My job told me today that I'd be lucky to get a 2k payrise. Even though I'm on a junior salary right now and I'm not actually a junior.

So guess who is looking for other jobs?

I mean, what do they expect? To ignore other software testing jobs that would happily pay me 5k+ more than I'm earning? Pah!

Haven't done anything less than a 12-hour day in the last two weeks. I'm bringing 15 kg bags of books home to mark and full software suites along with all supporting materials to plan lessons for a shitty new Oxford writing curriculum that is useless for non-native speakers.

And then the department coordinator insisted on a three-hour meeting on our inquiry topics for the next five years. It's nice to be asked to be part of the full planning process, but to be honest, it's his job. You want me to do your job, fella, give me your salary.

Thank god its the start of the Easter holidays. Doesnt mean I'm not still working but at least there wont be any teachers or kids in the School for 3 weeks.

Thank god its the start of the Easter holidays. Doesnt mean I'm not still working but at least there wont be any teachers or kids in the School for 3 weeks.

No they'll be at home. Like my neighbours brat. Eurgh.

Apparently, I've been quiet at work, so the boss decided to throw me a birthday party. It's worth noting that my birthday isn't until July.

I got a cake and card (signed by most of the office. Reactions were varied when they found out it wasn't actually my birthday):

2015-03-26%2013.15.04.jpg

Green jizzing penis on the cake (I'm also not 23):

2015-03-26%2013.17.45.jpg

Also got a hotdog toaster/cooker thing:

2015-03-25%2011.17.20.jpg

And a car loop thing (excuse the crap photo):

2015-03-27%2009.49.10.jpg

My workplace is weird...

Well this will be my first CRM role so I'm not entirely sure yet (I currently work in Consumer Analysis for Product Innovation). But it's all about direct targeted marketing campaigns, through the loyalty card scheme.

Well best of luck to you, whatever the role actually is! Love the sound of all that analysis... MMm... Analy... sis.... Wait what

Phoned in sick today cos i hate my job.

Now i'm watching a bit of Statham. Coffee, and cheese on toast for breakfast. I'm like...

aaaasmith_zpsemlt6iyx.jpg

Fuuuuuck them.

Loads has happened this week. A mixture of good and bad.

I had a panic attack yesterday in Tesco in front of everyone in the staff room. It was really weird. I was eating my lunch when suddenly, my vision got weird and shiny and bright. My head started feeling light and then the room felt like it was closing in on me. I found it really hard to breathe, I started getting hot and started sweating. My head was hurting and the room was spinning. I stood up and kind of buckled and backed myself up against the wall. I don't really remember what happened then but I remember needing to get out quickly. I got out and took some air. I felt a bit better but then felt sick. My manager told me to go home. I said I didn't want to because I felt like I was letting them down but he told me to stop being stupid, go home and get loads of rest. On my way to the car, I felt another one happen so I quickly got in my car, called up my step-mom and we had a chat and she calmed me down. It took me about 20 minutes until I was able to drive. It was absolutely horrible! I've never felt so claustrophobic, trapped and closed in like that in my life and I don't even know what caused it! My parents think it might be a lot of things going on in my head subconsciously and that I'm tired. I feel okay now, though. I'm going to see a doctor just to be on the safe side.

On the plus side, my assistant manager has left at my other job! I am absolutely shocked but buzzing! It's temporary but it sounds like it'll be for a while. The other supervisor has taken her position, which is deserved and I'm happy for him. So I have to try and not go in with a massive smile on my face :D

Anxiety/panic attacks are the worst. Sounds like you had two in the space of a short time. But yes, a doctor will more likely have better advice!

I've had a handful since I started working full-time, shit is stressful. Sometimes they onset from the smallest of things

Anxiety/panic attacks are the worst. Sounds like you had two in the space of a short time. But yes, a doctor will more likely have better advice!

I've had a handful since I started working full-time, shit is stressful. Sometimes they onset from the smallest of things

I absolutely hated it! It was horrible and embarrassing too. I kind of had another one yesterday in my own house. I was watching American Horror Story when I started to feel that same feeling come on again. This time, I just got dressed and went out. My breathing was a little erratic but I calmed down and was totally fine after. I think it was because I was in control? I don't know. I know that I had my review on my new job and they told me I was doing okay but I really needed to push myself harder but I doubt it was that.

I got told that it could be due to stress and lack of sleep and trying to juggle two jobs but I've done it before and I was fine. Maybe it really is taking its toll on me. Since starting two jobs over a month and a half ago, I've not had a lot of time to myself and I don't think it's going to get any better.

I got told that it could be due to stress and lack of sleep and trying to juggle two jobs but I've done it before and I was fine. Maybe it really is taking its toll on me. Since starting two jobs over a month and a half ago, I've not had a lot of time to myself and I don't think it's going to get any better.

Actually, panic attacks can subside. I used to have them regularly (Especially around my grandmother) and since I've... moved...away... from the source of the stress...

...yeah, you're screwed.

Joke. It can get better. I usually find grabbing a pillow and holding it as tightly as possible helps.

tipsoftheweek_10calls.jpg[/center]

Just done this at work and got an informal warning. Although I think it was mainly for pointing something out to a manager which made their point redundant.

Actually, panic attacks can subside. I used to have them regularly (Especially around my grandmother) and since I've... moved...away... from the source of the stress...

...yeah, you're screwed.

Joke. It can get better. I usually find grabbing a pillow and holding it as tightly as possible helps.

I've had several throughout the week. It's a little worrying. I've had light flutters before but I always left the room or taken myself away from the situation and they would fade. This time, I can't escape them. I think it's the stress of working two jobs, lack of sleep and rest and the things happening at home...it's something I can't escape.

Tesco is great but honestly, it's not me. I like to sell stuff. I like talking and interacting with the customers. I like the challenge of trying to sell something and trying to get people into my way of thinking. I like to help people and have a laugh with customers and stuff like that. Doing what I'm doing there, I just put stock on the shelves and that's it. I have a laugh at lunch but otherwise, we hardly interact much. I don't know, I think I just need to adjust or something.

I'd love to own my own shop or cafe or something. Or even work in a jewellers or a game shop or something...

I've had several throughout the week. It's a little worrying. I've had light flutters before but I always left the room or taken myself away from the situation and they would fade. This time, I can't escape them. I think it's the stress of working two jobs, lack of sleep and rest and the things happening at home...it's something I can't escape.

Tesco is great but honestly, it's not me. I like to sell stuff. I like talking and interacting with the customers. I like the challenge of trying to sell something and trying to get people into my way of thinking. I like to help people and have a laugh with customers and stuff like that. Doing what I'm doing there, I just put stock on the shelves and that's it. I have a laugh at lunch but otherwise, we hardly interact much. I don't know, I think I just need to adjust or something.

I'd love to own my own shop or cafe or something. Or even work in a jewellers or a game shop or something...

Have you ever thought of going into sales? Not retail sales but actually a salesman for a company selling their products to other companies?

Have you ever thought of going into sales? Not retail sales but actually a salesman for a company selling their products to other companies?

I'd like to do something like that. That could be cool. I wouldn't know where to start though. I mean, I look online and all I see is basically cold calling and I don't want to do that, really (short temper to rudeness, as you know, pmsl)

telemarketing has a lot of different aspects. If you're good at sales then you're missing out on commission-based roles. Doesn't have to be cold calling (essentially that is illegal now - and much more enforceable), and business-to-business telemarketing can be a lot more civil.

I did a campaign for the NHS, another one for NSPCC contacting doctors surgeries specifically - I did one for hire purchase vehicles to known customers of the brand to see if they had any additional needs. I did another one where we were calling a list of "interested" people in a seminar presented by a large bank - this one we had a fixed number of tickets to go out, and there was a lot of demand.

Another one I did was for a training company where the qualification you get lasts 5 years. We were calling people with less than a year left to help them book a retrain session.

From these jobs (spread out over 2 years I guess) I learned how to train people, and how to manage people. In these jobs you get paid more than what you get paid currently as a basic.

It's a good non-skilled way into a career that can lead to management or training completely off the phones, which can then be transferred back to retail. A guy I worked with moved from retentions (stopping a customer from leaving - a job he got 12 months after starting in sales) to being a store manager at victoria station.

It's a hard sell -- but overall if you're smart and you are good, telemarketing offers more prospects than retail (in my opinion, of course!). Having said that, it is really difficult to land the right job. But if you leave retail and try something new you can probably get a similar job again quick due to your experience and proven track record.

@Charlie - remember what we PM'd about? It's april and I have been told that between tuesday and thursday this week my new job will be advertised. I'll be reporting back if/when I actually have any good news!

@Charlie - remember what we PM'd about? It's april and I have been told that between tuesday and thursday this week my new job will be advertised. I'll be reporting back if/when I actually have any good news!

Good luck!

Kind of decided that, if not sooner, my last day at work is going to be February 5th 2016. That's the Friday before my 29th birthday and don't want to spend the last year of my 20s in a job I don't really wish to be in.

Still trying to figure out what I want to do though. Going to keep an eye on jobs, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards re-training. Got some things I need to look into but I've now applied for 5 MAs (although the applications are in various states of completeness, including one I had to submit a paper application for and I forgot to sign it so need to swing by tomorrow and do that).

Some of them are PT and I might actually stay at work, but at the moment I'm just seeing what happens. I could do with someone's ear to bend, but my alumni careers advice place would probably offer very generic advice.

Random question:

You've not worked for axa have you?

:blank:

Afraid not!

Afraid not!

Interesting, there's a bunch of you running around then. :heh:

Bloomin names.

There's a bunch of people called J7 working for AXA? How bizarre.

You joke but this guy works at our place.

Haha, that'd be insanely weird.

Think we've got enough J7's.

:shakehead

:heh: