NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

@Eenuh if you find a job that isn't underpaid and not over-worked I'd like to know.

My job has been...tiresome the last few weeks. I've had a million and one things to do, which is fine. But the night shifts are upon us again and quite frankly I just do.not.want.too.

Working nights to days is a killer and at some point soon something stupid is going to happen because my team (QA) is going to be tired. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

One day I'll work in a different sector or at least get more money for what I do..

Just applied for a job. Now to not look at my CV again as I'll worry about any minor thing I notice!

Looks like an interesting role. It's PT (which could be good, although it would mean a change in lifestyle a bit) but of more personal interest.

Thankfully they state when the interview dates are so I know what window of panic I have!

Edited by Ashley

Speaking of my old job, the manager is trying to keep me on. Somehow, she's had a change of heart and she's trying to ask the area manager if she can make an exception and keep me on so that would be nice. My assistant manager hasn't said much (obviously), I've always wanted to know why she doesn't like me but oh well. All of the staff are saying how much they're going to miss me and some are hoping I'll be on my last shift with them. I told them we'll still have our nights out because I have them on a group in WhatsApp so they're happy about that. We're looking into watching Fast and Furious 7 and getting some pizza (chicken salad for me). It just feels nice to be wanted.

So my manager called me into the office on Monday.

"Can I have a word?" she asks.

"Okay, what have I done now?"

"Nothing" she laughs. "How are you coping with two jobs?"

"Yeah, I'm coping fine. I've done it for about a year before starting here so I'm sort of used to it"

"Okay so if I said to you that we'll extend your notice for another month starting today and if your performance is the same, we'll keep you for the days you've agreed to work on from your first letter, what would you say?"

I smiled and said "That would be great"

She said "Good, make sure everything stays the same and don't let me down". She smiles a little and I walk away.

So it's now official, I could actually be staying where I am. However, my problem doesn't lie in anything but the assistant manager. I have such a dislike for her now. Yesterday, I had her all day and she was just so rude to me. Yet again she was rude in front of customers and at one point, in front of staff.

1) I was picking up baskets from the till area so I was clearing them and nobody was in the queue at the time so she was on the tills when I asked her if there were any tasks she wanted me to do. She started telling me and I said "Okay so do you want me to do this or that first?" and then out of nowhere, she shouts "MOVE, NOW!" and I'm like "Dafuq?" and there was just two customers who just arrived in the queue and they didn't know where to look. I bit my tongue and just said "I believe the term you're looking for is "Excuse me"...it's more polite..." and walked away. She then smiles and jokes with the customer about what just happened...and it was kind of awkward. The customer sort of forced a giggle and was like "Yeah". This was when I just started my shift as well so from then on, I did what I wanted to do and she never said a word. It was just embarrassing.

2) I was sorting out the drinks when I noticed there were a few gaps and considering delivery had been done, I thought someone forgot. I knew that she was ordering as well so I tried to find her. I found her talking to another member of staff. She stopped talking so I politely asked if she was doing the orders.

"Yeah, why?" she said nicely...for a change.

"It's okay because I found a few gaps in the fridge and we're running real low on--"

She totally cuts me off, doesn't look at me, turns to the other member of staff and says "ANYWAY..." and carries on talking.

I just said "And you wonder why we argue? Like I said before, people skills of an angry badger" and left it at that.

I think I did well considering. I just really hate rude people. They actually get on my tits. But it's embarrassing because I saved her a couple of times from getting a complaint (this was an incident before Christmas where she treated me like shit in front of a store full of people but I was so angry and embarrassed, I left it...I wished I didn't now. One even wanted me to leave me her phone number and told me she wanted to personally speak to the manager about her behaviour towards me) and it's embarrassing because I actually have staff who have said I should report her because she's practically bullying and harassing me. My own staff. I know that if I go down that road, it's just long and withdrawn and I don't think she's bullying me because I stand my ground.

I just hate rude people.

Edited by Animal

"Okay so if I said to you that we'll extend your notice for another month starting today and if your performance is the same, we'll keep you for the days you've agreed to work on from your first letter, what would you say?"

I smiled and said "That would be great"

However, my problem doesn't lie in anything but the assistant manager.

No problem except that thing which has been a major problem.

why-you-lie-so-much-thumb.jpg

If this leads to more incidents with your assistant manager, you shall get no further sympathy from me.

NO MORE.

No problem except that thing which has been a major problem.

why-you-lie-so-much-thumb.jpg

If this leads to more incidents with your assistant manager, you shall get no further sympathy from me.

NO MORE.

Its just her. My problem is her. I like my job. I'm confused by what you're saying.

I want/need both jobs in order to be full time. Keeping them both gives me 41 hours guaranteed and both aren't minimum wage. You honestly think if there's money to be made, I'm gonna let a bitch get in my way? I got bills to pay and shit to save up for, she can do bad all by herself. Not sure about tax but I could earn over £1000 a month.

Oh and I got a bonus of £600 from my supervisor job for hitting sales targets so woo,go me! :awesome:

That job I applied to closes today so now I wait...

I'm thinking about it way more than I should. I'm becoming increasingly over my current job and feel it's time to change. This job ticks all the boxes. We shall see...

But for now I have to prepare a presentation for Thursday.

He's saying to go see the fucking doctor, @Animal.

I'm booking an appointment for it tomorrow. My friend, who is a doctor, thinks it could be hard wax. I clean my ears but he said that that wouldn't matter. He mentioned there's ear cleaning oil that softens the wax and gets rid. Wanted to talk to a doctor about that before I did anything though.

Besides, its not just that with her. She just doesn't like me whatsoever. She pretends to but she will nitpick on any problem at all. She frowned the other day because I was two minutes late but she never gave another staff member the dirties when she was half an hour late and never called either.

I just try to stay out of her way, block out her negativity and just carry on with my job. I hate that it has to be like that but hey ho, worse things have happened.

It's lame if she's a bitch in general and especially bad if she's giving you trouble about your hearing but a frown for being late doesn't sound too out of line :p

It's lame if she's a bitch in general and especially bad if she's giving you trouble about your hearing but a frown for being late doesn't sound too out of line :p

Oh no, I don't mind the frowning. It was just that she kind of made a thing out of it when I was two minutes late, which is fine, but didn't make a thing when the other member of staff was half an hour late.

I just avoid her as much as I can. Talk short sentences when I need to and leave her be.

I'm booking an appointment for it tomorrow. My friend, who is a doctor, thinks it could be hard wax. I clean my ears but he said that that wouldn't matter. He mentioned there's ear cleaning oil that softens the wax and gets rid. Wanted to talk to a doctor about that before I did anything though.

Besides, its not just that with her. She just doesn't like me whatsoever. She pretends to but she will nitpick on any problem at all. She frowned the other day because I was two minutes late but she never gave another staff member the dirties when she was half an hour late and never called either.

I just try to stay out of her way, block out her negativity and just carry on with my job. I hate that it has to be like that but hey ho, worse things have happened.

Oh, I understand all that, I was just doing a bit of translation for EEVIL :p Glad to hear you're going to see someone though. You've got the right attitude towards her for now, as long as you stay professional then there surely isn't much fuel for her fires.

Found what is essentially my job but at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home. It's 50% less pay, but 100% more animals. Tempting!

Got a new job, woop! I start on Monday so I've ended up not being out of work at all. Still as a Software Developer but on better pay and more holiday, 40 hour weeks instead of 37.5 but if I can get flexible start and end times that might work out okay.

Old job were idiots during the redundancy consultation. I will not be doing any work for them in the future. I told them this before I'd even gotten a new job and yet I still had them phoning me asking if I'd be willing to do contract work.

I got a new job. it's £5k better than my current salary, and £1k better than the promotion that I'm way overdue on. Plus I reckon I'll save at least £2k a year in living costs by not living in Oxford.

Now I need to google "how to hand in a letter of resignation".

Found what is essentially my job but at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home. It's 50% less pay, but 100% more animals. Tempting!

So still 0% animals or do you currently work with some? :P

I got a new job. it's £5k better than my current salary, and £1k better than the promotion that I'm way overdue on. Plus I reckon I'll save at least £2k a year in living costs by not living in Oxford.

Well done! What's the new job? Moving jobs is the way to move forward in your career, screw company loyalty.

Well done! What's the new job? Moving jobs is the way to move forward in your career, screw company loyalty.

Thanks. I'll be a CRM Analyst with Boots.

I probably would have given the company a bit more loyalty if they'd have given me a bit more recognition. I'm kind of looking forward to laying it all out on the table as to what's wrong with them.

What sort of stuff do you do Moogle? I'm involved in our crm analysis (100ish employees, bespoke CRM, so a bit different) and I'm always interested to hear about others.

I've seen the CRMs for pretty much all of the banking sector (they're generally windows 95-esque and not very streamlined or efficient) - are you focused on the data accuracy, or identifying faults in the crm, or what?!

Tapdancing penguins. In top hats.

What sort of stuff do you do Moogle? I'm involved in our crm analysis (100ish employees, bespoke CRM, so a bit different) and I'm always interested to hear about others.

I've seen the CRMs for pretty much all of the banking sector (they're generally windows 95-esque and not very streamlined or efficient) - are you focused on the data accuracy, or identifying faults in the crm, or what?!

Well this will be my first CRM role so I'm not entirely sure yet (I currently work in Consumer Analysis for Product Innovation). But it's all about direct targeted marketing campaigns, through the loyalty card scheme.

Thanks. I'll be a CRM Analyst with Boots.

I probably would have given the company a bit more loyalty if they'd have given me a bit more recognition. I'm kind of looking forward to laying it all out on the table as to what's wrong with them.

Really? That's strange because we got an email the other day saying to welcome a new employee who had just come from the Boots as a Loyalty Card analyst or something similar.

Good luck with it.

Tapdancing penguins. In top hats.

I see your penguins and raise you a giant dildo with "Job" written on the side.

They'll know where they can shove it.

I handed my notice in today (with neither a dildo or any penguins). My manager seemed genuinely gutted. He said he was going to have to go to the pub tonight and get drunk, and it would be my fault when he comes into work hungover tomorrow.

People already say our relationship is weird, this isn't going to help.