NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

I mixed my dates up, so I've just done the SHL tests that actually expired yesterday.

The links still worked so I'm not sure if it will be held against me. Hopefully it won't be checked thoroughly enough.

It seems it didn't matter, as I've got a telephone interview (although not fully confirmed yet, waiting to hear back).

It seems I got good test scores.

Numeracy – pass rate 40%, your result 97%

Verbal – pass rate 60%, your result 98%

Data accuracy – pass rate 75%, your result 87%

They are amazing scores, so well done!

Hopefully that will stand me in good stead for the interview. The role is actually assistant manager position, so two roles above my current role (although I'm overdue a promotion, so it's one role above what I should be/hopefully will be soon; of course I can't really explain that to the interviewers).

of course I can't really explain that to the interviewers).

With 98% verbal I would hope that you can.

With 98% verbal I would hope that you can.

Yeah, but he's only got 87% data accuracy, so that number has a 13% chance of being wrong.

It seems my team leader/new nemesis Matt has tried to screw me over again. I get called into the interview room for an "informal chat", I thought I'd done something recently, but this was regarding something which happened over a year ago. During one break when we were all good pals the topic of hitting someone with one's underwear came to pass. From what I can recall - he said "you daren't". So a quick trip to the changing room resulted in him being hit with my boxers. Silly? Probably. Everyone took it in good humour? Most certainly. If there really was such an issue he could've brought it up at the time and I daresay I would've gotten into a bit more trouble.

When I asked how this exactly came about I was told that during an hour-ish long conversation about why he hadn't progressed on the Options scheme (main reasons being he's bad at his job and most of the management don't actually like him) this incident was brought up, as if it was somehow relevant as to why he has been unable to progress in his career. Both my union rep and I have stated that it seems a little convenient that this is being brought up at the same time I have applied for another position in the store and appears to be grasping at straws trying to screw me over, over a year that the incident took place.

It's weird, he seems to be avoiding me more than usual now.

It seems my team leader/new nemesis Matt has tried to screw me over again. I get called into the interview room for an "informal chat", I thought I'd done something recently, but this was regarding something which happened over a year ago. During one break when we were all good pals the topic of hitting someone with one's underwear came to pass. From what I can recall - he said "you daren't". So a quick trip to the changing room resulted in him being hit with my boxers. Silly? Probably. Everyone took it in good humour? Most certainly. If there really was such an issue he could've brought it up at the time and I daresay I would've gotten into a bit more trouble.

When I asked how this exactly came about I was told that during an hour-ish long conversation about why he hadn't progressed on the Options scheme (main reasons being he's bad at his job and most of the management don't actually like him) this incident was brought up, as if it was somehow relevant as to why he has been unable to progress in his career. Both my union rep and I have stated that it seems a little convenient that this is being brought up at the same time I have applied for another position in the store and appears to be grasping at straws trying to screw me over, over a year that the incident took place.

Whilst it sounds stupid for him to bring it up a year later. Your behaviour was stupid too. Not exactly appropriate for the work place is it?

Whilst it sounds stupid for him to bring it up a year later. Your behaviour was stupid too. Not exactly appropriate for the work place is it?

For this I play the unpaid break card.

There's probably some regulation or something about conduct while at work regardless of whether you are being paid.

There's probably some regulation or something about conduct while at work regardless of whether you are being paid.

No, not true. If you're on your lunch break you can do whatever you want.

Today at lunch I punched my manager in the face. She couldn't do shit about it, stupid bitch.

Probably, but that's not the issue (now it's my turn to grasp at straws). The issue is the timing.

Whilst I agree that that is well rank and disgusting and just eurgh (but I did giggle a little but I still would have committed murder if it was me it happened to), the fact is they all took it as a laugh. If he had a problem with this, he should have raised said problem immediately. Instead, he acted like a bitch and brought it up on the time you was going to get a promotion/another job.

The way I see it, this Matt guy will always have it in for you. So my advice would be to play him back at his own game. The reason why he's avoiding you is because that is what bitches do: They whisper a little in someone's ear and watch the chain reaction and wait for the explosion. Right now, he's waiting for any opportunity so if you approach him and tell him how it is, he'll run like a little grass to the boss and tell them. If you walk somewhere or something, he'll run to the boss and tell them. Your every move, he's waiting to report it, to see you slip up. Don't give him that ammunition. Instead, watch his every move. Everybody in there knows he's a snake and he's not to be trusted so really, he's isolated himself. If everybody there already knows what he's done to you and they like you, chances are they may not like him because he could do the same to them. It's a really weak way of moving up the ladder and in effect, it could do damage to himself because he's showing he can't handle a situation and he needs to bring someone in.

I mean, if you can't handle a situation where someone throws underpants at you, you really are in deep shit. I've stopped fights, thefts and arguments before now and not once have I gone to the manager to ask for help. If anything, the reason why he hasn't progressed is because it's showing he's incapable. Don't sweat it, dude.

=======

My first day was awesome. I found out I'm working Grocery so it's basically anything that doesn't have a fridge. All I have to do is fill up the shelves and tidy them. I'm getting more hours and getting paid more per hour to do only them two tasks. The managers and the team seem really nice at the moment. Very approachable and we actually had a laugh. It was really cool. They have a working TV, a clocking card, a canteen card and I can grab a drink when I want. Oh and my breaks are an hour and a half! What the actual fuck! Loving it! And I work 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and the rest of the week, I'd have off (which would be to work my other job, if they'll let me do it). I get to join a Union, which is new to me, and I can keep my phone on the shop floor as well. I can have an app too, letting me use my phone as a shop floor scanner, which would be very handy.

The problem is that my manager at my supervisor job is on holiday but my assistant manager is in (and it's known everywhere we sort of don't get along although she's been alright the past month). I think I'll have to tell her today. I've written two letters: Letter of Notification (telling her that I have a new job which would now act as my main job because I get more hours and that I'm unable to do the days) and a Letter of Resignation (which I don't want to do but if push comes to shove, I'll just need to take the leap of faith and jump into my other job).

The way I see it, this Matt guy will always have it in for you. So my advice would be to play him back at his own game. The reason why he's avoiding you is because that is what bitches do: They whisper a little in someone's ear and watch the chain reaction and wait for the explosion. Right now, he's waiting for any opportunity so if you approach him and tell him how it is, he'll run like a little grass to the boss and tell them. If you walk somewhere or something, he'll run to the boss and tell them. Your every move, he's waiting to report it, to see you slip up. Don't give him that ammunition. Instead, watch his every move. Everybody in there knows he's a snake and he's not to be trusted so really, he's isolated himself. If everybody there already knows what he's done to you and they like you, chances are they may not like him because he could do the same to them. It's a really weak way of moving up the ladder and in effect, it could do damage to himself because he's showing he can't handle a situation and he needs to bring someone in.

I mean, if you can't handle a situation where someone throws underpants at you, you really are in deep shit. I've stopped fights, thefts and arguments before now and not once have I gone to the manager to ask for help. If anything, the reason why he hasn't progressed is because it's showing he's incapable. Don't sweat it, dude.

I'm not sweating it at all. In fact he's going out of his way to avoid me more so than before. There was only him and I in today, were any of the others working he would've shouldered all the work onto them, because he "needed them to". Today he did everything himself and I did what I've been doing uninterrupted. It's fantastic.

Didn't get the wages admin job though, but after I heard that someone else was going for the job who had done some temp work there once I knew I was screwed, still going to get some feedback though and basically tell them I'm going to have to look for work elsewhere.

After 13 months of training, passed all my assessments last week, now a qualified train driver. Did my first solo trip today - was really weird being in the cab on my own but I enjoyed it :D

After 13 months of training, passed all my assessments last week, now a qualified train driver. Did my first solo trip today - was really weird being in the cab on my own but I enjoyed it :D

That's cool. Which train company do you work for?

Have they given you that talk about people jumping in front of trains yet? :heh:

That's cool. Which train company do you work for?

Have they given you that talk about people jumping in front of trains yet? :heh:

Northern. And yes, they have. One of those things about this job though.

Northern. And yes, they have. One of those things about this job though.

Is this rule true?

20494745.jpg

Job win: I'm learning video editing today, which I've wanted to do for ages.

Job woe: the project I'm learning on is homeless people talking about their life experiences, which include several suicide attempts and many, many mental health problems and addictions. It's depressing to say the least.

Job win: I'm learning video editing today, which I've wanted to do for ages.

Job woe: the project I'm learning on is homeless people talking about their life experiences, which include several suicide attempts and many, many mental health problems and addictions. It's depressing to say the least.

Sounds like fun...

When work sent me on my video editing course I got to edit a piece about a guy called Mitch who looked like he came straight from a 70's glam rock band and flew helicopters for a job - it was awesome :heh:

Been getting some great feedback at work lately, the redesign of our internal magazine has gone down well, even the top brass of the creative studio are really digging it. Whenever I talk to anyone from marketing/creative my manager jokes that I'd better not let them offer me a job, it's getting close to the stage where I could probably apply for a job with them and use it to hike up my pay with the current department.

Bit of woe, bit of win. Start with the woe

Management have been sorting out shift patterns for everyone, which none of us see the point of. Fixed shifts with a 1 hour lunch, which many of us don't want (the 1 hour lunch, not fussed on the shift). We did ask if we can reduce the lunch and let us go home earlier, which was denied quickly. So that's being looked into by union reps. They've also decided to put in weekend working with 1 in 6 Saturdays (not fussed on that, happy to do that) and 1 in 6 Sundays (which many of us have the problem with even getting in on time). My problem with the Sunday shift is i simply cannot get there for 8am due to the trains, which don't start until 9:30am and many can't get in until 10am at the earliest with more being able to get in at 11am (like me). Have asked to see if i can work my RDO instead of the Sunday, looking unlikely. If i get the RDO swap, i'll be ok.

On the win side of things, my work is paying off. I've been left in charge of my team next week for a few days, and i've been given the responsibility of training 4 new members of staff this last week and next week. And i've been doing quality checks on various people's work giving feedback on that, which has been dubbed as useful and informative feedback. It's going well on this side of things.

Tesco has been great for me at the moment. All I have to do is load the stock from the cages onto the shelves and tidy them up. No hassle, no responsibilities and I get more hours and more pay. I have to work with the actual manager tomorrow so that'll be something to look forward to. I wanted to know what type of manager he is and what he'll be like. My manager is cool but this one will be the overall manager as they take a Sunday in turn so eventually, I'll meet every manager in the place.

I told my assistant manager at my supervisor job that I have another job now and she was all "I didn't know you were looking" but I spoke with her and I said "It's not that I don't like the job because I do but this one is more hours and more pay and I need to think of me and my family first before anything else. However, I do want to stay here"

She was saying how she wasn't sure how it'd work (surprise surprise) but I said "Even if it means demoting me, I'd be okay with that. I don't work Sundays anyway but the only days I can't work are Fridays and Saturdays"

She was still saying it wouldn't work. Later on in the week, she 'spoke to the regional manager' and he said he can't see how it'd work because I'd need to be flexible. I pointed out that another supervisor there has another job and that they could give my extra hours to the third supervisor and I could just be on basic hours. She was insistent that it probably wouldn't work and told me to wait for the manager to come back from her holidays and talk about it more with her.

So basically on Monday, I have to bring my notice letter. If she can't work around it, I'll have to hand in my notice and work it for four weeks but then I can't work Fridays and Saturdays. If all else fails and I have to work it, I'll just have to leave...I don't want to but...

Someone threw one of their cigarette butts into our recycling bin today, resulting in The Great Fire of Grundon:

10440290_10155323498965341_5049308898632182895_n.jpg?oh=ffe0275335f213a17765ebee08727070&oe=5584F34F

Apparently it doesn't take much to set fire to an ass load of shredded paper. We first noticed it when we could smell burning from inside the building. Took 5 of us about 40 minutes to completely extinguish it as the wind kept reigniting parts of it. In the end we just put a hose pipe in there and filled the thing up with water, which then took the rest of the day to drain. Water was still pissing out of it when I left at 5pm (we filled it up at about 11am) Good times.

Why did you set fire to an ass load of shredded paper then?

Why did you set fire to an ass load of shredded paper then?

Someone threw one of their cigarette butts into our recycling bin today, resulting in The Great Fire of Grundon:

Because apparently smokers are retards who place absolutely no thought into where they throw their rubbish.