NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

I'm part of a stock control team at a supermarket and have been there 4 years.

Life after an media studies degree...

Remixed for me.

I'm a supervisor at a health and beauty essentials shop.

Life after A Levels in Graphic Design, Interactive Media and Software Development.

======

Speaking of my current job. My hours have now been dropped right down from 39 hours to 16 (my contracted). The funniest thing is that I've had contracts for 8 and 12 hours but this is the first time in forever I've worked my contracted. The other staff as well as the other supervisor has more hours than me. I asked my manager and she says it's because of holidays and yet there are no holidays scheduled in the next two weeks for the staff bar one person. I've noticed my hours declining so needless to say, I'm looking for a second job. I guess it's not the end of the world and I can see a plus side which is that I can focus a lot on losing weight and looking even more sexy for the Summer but I'm gutted because I need the money!

Ugh!

So I'm writing my CV for PhD applications, wondering what people's thoughts are on playful quotes at the top? The template I'm using has a space for one, my girlfriend suggested that it should be about myself, but also I wanted it to be a little bit funny as well to make it kinda memorable. Finding the balance between achieving that and keeping it sufficiently serious is tough to gauge though. Currently I've got:

"An affable, inquisitive, coffee-addicted particle physicist with a drive to explain the laws of nature, and an incongruous (and thus far unsuccessful) endeavour to defy them by throwing himself around on a trampoline."

I've had a good giggle at it at least...

Thoughts?

I'm working up the courage to add to my skills on my CV.

Strong

Fast

Fresh from the fight

Sure

Soon

Larger than life

If nothing else, it will get me headhunted by Bonnier Tyler. She's been holding out for a candidate like me since the 80s, bless her.

Totally annoyed with the other colleagues who done their shifts before my shift cos I usually end up doing their tasks they supposed to do but didn't. :mad:

So I'm writing my CV for PhD applications, wondering what people's thoughts are on playful quotes at the top? The template I'm using has a space for one, my girlfriend suggested that it should be about myself, but also I wanted it to be a little bit funny as well to make it kinda memorable. Finding the balance between achieving that and keeping it sufficiently serious is tough to gauge though. Currently I've got:

"An affable, inquisitive, coffee-addicted particle physicist with a drive to explain the laws of nature, and an incongruous (and thus far unsuccessful) endeavour to defy them by throwing himself around on a trampoline."

Thoughts?

As someone who has worked in academia for longer than he'd like, academics have no fucking sense of humour.

Thoughts?

Why would you have a quote at the top? It's not as if you're quoting somebody else, it's a quote about yourself. Seems a bit weird to me.

I'm a Customer Assistant who has worked part-time for the same supermarket for nine years with no chance of promotion or even full-time hours.

Life after completing an AS Graphic Design course.

Applied for a job at the National Videogame Arcade, got a response from the GameCity peeps:

Thank you for your interest in the GameCity crew role. I'm afraid we are not going to be taking your application further.

We will be keeping CV's on file and thank you for your interest

The GameCity team

Thought I'd ask why, see if I'd get any feedback:

I'm afraid that due to the high number of applications we're not able to offer personalised feedback.

Thanks

The GameCity team

I had a theory it might have something to do with a reference on my CV (had changed positions shortly after submitting my CV) so gave them updated details:

All the information needed was present

In advertising for GameCity jobs we formulate a very specific list of attributes and experiences that we are looking for in applicants that we feel are necessary for that job. Sadly this means that a high number of applicants will be disappointed.

To be honest, I don't see why I wouldn't be perfect for the job, at the very least an interview.

Thoughts?

I agree with @Ashley.

CVs are meant to be professional.

Applied for a job at the National Videogame Arcade, got a response from the GameCity peeps:

Thought I'd ask why, see if I'd get any feedback:

I had a theory it might have something to do with a reference on my CV (had changed positions shortly after submitting my CV) so gave them updated details:

To be honest, I don't see why I wouldn't be perfect for the job, at the very least an interview.

They probably have an automatic CV scanner that looks for particular keywords and skills.

They probably have an automatic CV scanner that looks for particular keywords and skills.

I don't see them doing that to be honest, plus I'm highly recognised on the GameCity circuit, which is probably why I didn't get an interview :P

Thoughts?

God no. A quote about yourself? Are you having a laugh. Your application is likely to be binned with them laughing if you did that.

Thoughts?

What's your PhD in? Either way, I wouldn't recommend that. They want to see you are serious as they investing a lot of money into you.

The girl I've been training sent her initial CV in by email. She accidentally attached a holiday picture instead of her CV.

But then this isn't really a PhD-level kinda job sooo...

Totally going to use that as my CV standard if I ever have to do interviews.

The girl I've been training sent her initial CV in by email. She accidentally attached a holiday picture instead of her CV.

But then this isn't really a PhD-level kinda job sooo...

Totally going to use that as my CV standard if I ever have to do interviews.

'Accidently'

Tenner says she's hot.

I'm likely moving in a few months. I mentioned this to my boss (as well as other stuff I'm going through) and, while he doesn't want me to leave, he understands that I can't stay if I carry on as I am (the job itself isn't the problem, just where I live).

Anyway, I had one idea: most of the work I do doesn't need to be done in the office. However, I thought it would be better to let my boss come up with the idea on his own. Yesterday, he did. He wants me to create a list of things I can and can't do from another location.

I'm still in the middle of it (I'm trying to remember everything I do), but it's quite light on the "can't" side of things. And for those, it's only part of the task that I can't do (I've mentioned who the part I can't do can be delegated to).

Obviously, it's not as ideal for work as me staying there, but I doubt they'll be able to replace me easily (and they know it).

Apparently the fucking T-virus or something is going around town and a chunk of our staff is sick (one hospitalized) so I'm effectively covering for three people until further notice. My last day off was Thursday and my next one likely won't be until at least sometime next week. I spent an 11 hour shift on my feet yesterday and it's 8+ hour shifts all either starting at 6am or ending at 10pm for the foreseeable future. I was looking forward to going to my karate class tonight but I'm so tired I can barely walk. Should've napped. Oi.

Just an update on the job I was interested in.

I expressed my interest, spoke with one of the managers from the department and she gave me an overview, albeit very brief, about the role, what it entails, what would be required for the successful candidate etc.

I applied last week. As it is just a secondment position, I only had to give a brief description of why I wanted the role and what skills I thought I could bring.

Came into work yesterday and I have an intereview next Friday. Eep.

It's only a 30 min interview, with a blend of competency based questions and then your typical 'why you want the job' style questions. They've said it's reatively informal, but still nervous.

Today I'm with a group of other applicants, spending a day in a meeting room with current project managers giving us a full blown overview of what they do, and what would be expected of whoever gets the job.

I find it very exciting. It's something I think today has made me realise I really want.

Fingers crossed!

Had my second interview yesterday for this job that would be amazing. It went okay, maybe even well. I don't know. Don't really have a good feeling.

Lost my job today. Company decided it didn't need a software development team. Gutted.

Lost my job today. Company decided it didn't need a software development team. Gutted.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Had you worked for the company for a long time?

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Had you worked for the company for a long time?

I'd actually worked there twice, once as a web developer for a year and a half then I worked elsewhere for a year before going back as an eCommerce developer for two years. When you consider that I've only been out of uni since September 2012, that's pretty much most of my professional life.

It was a big company so I really enjoyed the varied work there. Though I was planning on moving jobs again now I've been there two years, it being forced on me has just come at a really bad time with other things I have going on.