NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Fingers crossed for her Shorty. Things happen that delay this sort of thing - people being off ill etc.

I had a second-round interview for a job today. I don't even necessarily want to leave the job i'm in, I'm very happy at it and we've got a very exciting summer coming up that I'm really looking forward to being part of. But just before Christmas I was contacted through Linkedin by a recruiter at another big player in the industry, asking if I'd be interested in a new role they have open. I thought it'd be wrong not to look into the opportunity. Went for an interview a few weeks back and that went well, went back today for a second interview which involved giving a big presentation, with the global boss calling in from India to join, so a pretty big deal. Think today went well too (today's interview was 90 mins long!) so waiting to hear whether they want me.

Still slightly split over whether I really want it - this is a really exciting opportunity, it'd be a good company to work for, would likely get a good pay rise and the employee benefits at this place are so, so good. However, it would mean leaving just before a massive event that I've been working really hard towards and am really excited to be part of, and I feel like I'd be leaving the rest of my team and our major client in the shit by abandoning them just before it. If there was the opportunity to go for this position after the summer, I'd be all in for it!

Trying not to think about what I'll do if i'm offered it - I might not even get offered the job, then I'll have nothing to worry about! Whatever happens, I'm glad I went for this interview process and think I've done myself proud regardless, and it's given me confidence that if I was to look for another job in the industry, I'm well placed.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

My other half went for a job interview last week, and was told that she'd hear back either way by this Tues. Man it has been unreasonably stressful for the last 3 days watching my phone during work waiting for any news, can't imagine how she must feel!

I know it's not promising that it's a day past the deadline but I can't help but be hopeful, as it's a really good opportunity without having to move anywhere.

In my work, watching people come in for interviews I can't help but feel that it's such a harsh process for so many applicants, who clearly have interviews that seem like they went very well, but the odds are stacked heavily against them purely because of the numbers.

As Paul said it may just be someone came down with illness.  Hopefully she'll hear soon!

1 hour ago, Mr-Paul said:

Fingers crossed for her Shorty. Things happen that delay this sort of thing - people being off ill etc.

I had a second-round interview for a job today. I don't even necessarily want to leave the job i'm in, I'm very happy at it and we've got a very exciting summer coming up that I'm really looking forward to being part of. But just before Christmas I was contacted through Linkedin by a recruiter at another big player in the industry, asking if I'd be interested in a new role they have open. I thought it'd be wrong not to look into the opportunity. Went for an interview a few weeks back and that went well, went back today for a second interview which involved giving a big presentation, with the global boss calling in from India to join, so a pretty big deal. Think today went well too (today's interview was 90 mins long!) so waiting to hear whether they want me.

Still slightly split over whether I really want it - this is a really exciting opportunity, it'd be a good company to work for, would likely get a good pay rise and the employee benefits at this place are so, so good. However, it would mean leaving just before a massive event that I've been working really hard towards and am really excited to be part of, and I feel like I'd be leaving the rest of my team and our major client in the shit by abandoning them just before it. If there was the opportunity to go for this position after the summer, I'd be all in for it!

Trying not to think about what I'll do if i'm offered it - I might not even get offered the job, then I'll have nothing to worry about! Whatever happens, I'm glad I went for this interview process and think I've done myself proud regardless, and it's given me confidence that if I was to look for another job in the industry, I'm well placed.

Have you already mentioned what your notice period is?  Is there any chance you could say you're committed to the big exciting summer project and want to wait until after then if possible?

2 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

I agree with Ashley, have you told them that there is this thing? It shows a lot of good qualities about a person if they want to see something through before changing jobs, commitment, passion etc. 

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

As Paul said it may just be someone came down with illness.  Hopefully she'll hear soon!

Have you already mentioned what your notice period is?  Is there any chance you could say you're committed to the big exciting summer project and want to wait until after then if possible?

Hasn't come down to notice periods yet (think mine is two months) but basically, the new place want someone on board to cover this event in the summer so don't think it's very flexible (for those not aware like Ashley is, I'm in the sports journalism industry). If I stay, I'm at the organisation running the event so very involved, attending the event and doing what I've been doing for the past few years, but if I move, my involvement will be at a distance. But is maybe going to be more fulfilling at non-event time. Who knows. 

All things I'll have to weigh up if offered. I guess it would be a privileged position to be in, asked to choose between two good things. 

Does anyone have any tips for approaching/dealing with recruitment agencies? I'm looking for a job at the moment but haven't yet tried this route. I guess I'm a little apprehensive about dealing with them - I had terrible experiences a few years ago when I needed temporary work in London. They treated me very badly, only offered me really crappy jobs even though I had a degree and experience at a respected investment bank. One of them laughed at me down the phone when I said I didn't want to give out flyers outside a tube station and I wasted a lot of time going in, registering and taking tests etc. for jobs that never materialised.

Anyway, I'm in a different big city now so I'm hoping the experience will be better. I'm looking for professional jobs quite generally, but whether that's permanent or temporary, I'm not sure. Basically I don't want to get ripped off/treated badly, and I don't want to come across as entitled or desperate either. My experience is in Banking/Finance but I'm quite open-minded when it comes to what I'd actually like to do.

2 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Does anyone have any tips for approaching/dealing with recruitment agencies? I'm looking for a job at the moment but haven't yet tried this route. I guess I'm a little apprehensive about dealing with them - I had terrible experiences a few years ago when I needed temporary work in London. They treated me very badly, only offered me really crappy jobs even though I had a degree and experience at a respected investment bank. One of them laughed at me down the phone when I said I didn't want to give out flyers outside a tube station and I wasted a lot of time going in, registering and taking tests etc. for jobs that never materialised.

Anyway, I'm in a different big city now so I'm hoping the experience will be better. I'm looking for professional jobs quite generally, but whether that's permanent or temporary, I'm not sure. Basically I don't want to get ripped off/treated badly, and I don't want to come across as entitled or desperate either. My experience is in Banking/Finance but I'm quite open-minded when it comes to what I'd actually like to do.

One recruiter who rang me yesterday to update me that he was "still looking" (because when I went to register with them I mentioned how other agencies never get in touch) and asked if I had had any other things come up, to which I had a couple but didn't tell him about as I know he'd put others forward for the role - tried to convince me one of the reasons I'm not hearing as much is because I'm registered with so many agencies, which I mentally dismissed as bollocks as I don't tell every agency to put me forward for the same role, and I think he is trying to maintain some sort of exclusivity.

My advice would be to find your banking/office et al agencies in your different big city and see what they got going. Applying for something on TotalJobs etc normally goes through one of them and they'll be contacting you to register either way. If like myself you don't want to put all the eggs in the proverbial basket and apply en massé, make a note of the companies you've gone for in the last 6ish months. 

On 30/01/2019 at 9:28 PM, Mr-Paul said:

Hasn't come down to notice periods yet (think mine is two months) but basically, the new place want someone on board to cover this event in the summer so don't think it's very flexible (for those not aware like Ashley is, I'm in the sports journalism industry). If I stay, I'm at the organisation running the event so very involved, attending the event and doing what I've been doing for the past few years, but if I move, my involvement will be at a distance. But is maybe going to be more fulfilling at non-event time. Who knows. 

All things I'll have to weigh up if offered. I guess it would be a privileged position to be in, asked to choose between two good things. 

So I was offered the job today... and said yes!

Took them ages to get back to me - all sorts of corporate approvals it had to go through.

Sad to be leaving my current job. Going to be very weird handing in my resignation in. But the opportunity was too good to turn down.

Exciting times ahead :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Applied for plenty of suitable-looking jobs now including what looks like my ideal job (but doesn't close for two more weeks) based on experience and interests etc. Fingers crossed I hear back from some of the good ones.

Also signed up to a couple of temp agencies online but something that happened today has confused me. I applied for a temp customer service role in a call centre as an Inbound Call Agent, Monday to Friday 9-5. It's not my ideal line of work, but it's something I'm perfectly happy to do as I've done it before, many years ago. I also have loads of customer service experience from years ago, on the checkouts at Sainsbury's and as a Student Ambassador at university. Basically I'm super-overqualified for this job, but that doesn't mean I don't want it short-term. Should I email the recruitment person and ask for feedback on why I was rejected? And how would I do this without sounding entitled and/or rude? Or should I accept that the role was probably fake (the actual employer wasn't listed etc., details listed were very vague and generic) and was just a ploy to get me to register online with them?

28 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Basically I'm super-overqualified for this job, but that doesn't mean I don't want it short-term. Should I email the recruitment person and ask for feedback on why I was rejected? And how would I do this without sounding entitled and/or rude? Or should I accept that the role was probably fake (the actual employer wasn't listed etc., details listed were very vague and generic) and was just a ploy to get me to register online with them?

Firstly, good going with the job search! Fingers crossed for you :)

Shooting an email over to them seems like a good bet, as feedback is feedback, even if it is just being informed that they feel that you were overqualified for the role at the time. If you don't get a response, then you can just conclude that your suspicions were true and that maybe it wasn't a real job, but spending a few minutes on an email for some possible closure over not getting a role will always be a potential net gain, in my opinion.

Have you received a response from them informing you outright that you were rejected, or do you just think it's been too long since you applied, so you have been? Just asking because I can't tell from your post? :)

If it's the former, something along the lines of:

Dear Sir/Madam [or recruitment person's name],

I recently applied for the role of Inbound Call Agent, and was sorry to learn that I had not been accepted for the role. I felt that my skillset and previous work experience made me a strong candidate for the role, so I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback regarding my application.

Kind regards,

Tim B

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tim B said:

Applied for plenty of suitable-looking jobs now including what looks like my ideal job (but doesn't close for two more weeks) based on experience and interests etc. Fingers crossed I hear back from some of the good ones.

Also signed up to a couple of temp agencies online but something that happened today has confused me. I applied for a temp customer service role in a call centre as an Inbound Call Agent, Monday to Friday 9-5. It's not my ideal line of work, but it's something I'm perfectly happy to do as I've done it before, many years ago. I also have loads of customer service experience from years ago, on the checkouts at Sainsbury's and as a Student Ambassador at university. Basically I'm super-overqualified for this job, but that doesn't mean I don't want it short-term. Should I email the recruitment person and ask for feedback on why I was rejected? And how would I do this without sounding entitled and/or rude? Or should I accept that the role was probably fake (the actual employer wasn't listed etc., details listed were very vague and generic) and was just a ploy to get me to register online with them?

It's possible the job was made up, it is a ploy agencies use to get your name on the system.

I always ask for feedback, just say something like "I'm always looking for ways to improve my application performance etc etc"

Good news: start my new job next week! :D

Kind of annoying news: only just found out today that I start next Monday, after receiving an email contradicting one that I received last Monday which told me that I'd be starting on the 18th :blank: could be a stressful few days coming up trying to get my ducks in a row... ::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Work is a garbage fire right now.

Spoiler

There's a team that is reviewing all processes and the people in charge, Y and Z, are toxic horrible people. They have also insisted their business analysts don't do any business analysing, so it means we (the developers) are doing it.

They want to recruit a few more developers but are struggling because it's a niche area and their offer isn't great. There was also supposed to be two phases; analysis and development. They decided to have them overlap but are now panicking because they've promised a lot but now have no way of delivering it because we're already busy doing their stuff.

Y and Z are constantly asking for updates and seem to believe we're being obstructive by refusing to give concrete delivery dates. We're saying it will take X days but not saying what date that will be. They can't seem to understand we have other work, leave, meetings etc. 

This has been mostly going to my line manager A who has been attacked by them constantly because A is on our side.

Recently M, who is essentially a 5 year old, has been put in charge of our team by N who is in charge of the area (and used to be in charge of our team). M and N will bend over backwards for anyone but us and happily throw us under the bus. 

A few months ago N waited until A was on leave and then tried to get our team to agree an approach with the other team about how to handle work being passed over. Something that was already agreed but the other team wanted to basically run it and we said no, they pass the requests and we organise when etc. Anyway, we told N we wouldn't until A was back.

Last week A was off and M basically did the same thing. 

A got back on Monday, found out and left. We're told they're sick but we pretty much know they're not going to come back. They are a great manager but utterly underappreciated by others and it's going to make everything much worse.

Yesterday I got a call from a recruiter and decided fuck it, I'll pop in my CV and see what happens. I also coincidentally had lunch planned with my former boss yesterday but he asked to push it back a few hours. My initial plan (when it was supposed to be lunch) was to go see him and come back (as it was in central) but ended up faking illness and just leaving. Anyway, he said I could still have a position with them (contractors). 

I'm going to think about it over the weekend. Originally I was thinking of seeing out my current contract (October) and traveling for a bit but who knows. May bring that forward. Contracting I could do remotely. 

• Thanks 1

Just about a month into the new position. I am now no longer a legal secretary. I am a medical secretary!

Sadly the training has come to a bit of a halt as our senior has been off sick, she came back yesterday and we were told not to bother her and the team will have to pick up her work (as they did last week when she was off) as she is doing some other project. Sadly she wasn't well enough to stay the rest of the day and wasn't in today. 

It's a little grating as it's hampered the training for myself and another new starter on the team, so we're doing typing pretty much all day which isn't that bad, it's just that I would love to learn more and do more. Hopefully the team leader will be well again soon and can finish the other project so we can all catch up with the work

I don't know which colleagues in my dept that are responsible for why there are so many stocks are still sitting on our warehouse and topstocking shelves instead of on the salefloor. We recently got a new computer system which tracks the inventory of stocks and give us a list of stocks that need to be picked and worked thus the aisles won't have many gaps. It's really annoying me because it's meant more work for me and other decent colleagues to fix the gaps while juggling other tasks to doing.

My dept manager/section leaders want me to do the audit process with the inventory again by doing some overtime shifts cos they were impressed with me last time I done it in March. However other depts cause the entire store to overspent on the overtime so they cancelled all overtimes including mine. Never got a chance to finish the audit process. What a fucking mess! 

• Thanks 1

On 19/03/2019 at 9:15 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

Just about a month into the new position. I am now no longer a legal secretary. I am a medical secretary!

Sadly the training has come to a bit of a halt as our senior has been off sick, she came back yesterday and we were told not to bother her and the team will have to pick up her work (as they did last week when she was off) as she is doing some other project. Sadly she wasn't well enough to stay the rest of the day and wasn't in today. 

It's a little grating as it's hampered the training for myself and another new starter on the team, so we're doing typing pretty much all day which isn't that bad, it's just that I would love to learn more and do more. Hopefully the team leader will be well again soon and can finish the other project so we can all catch up with the work

Boombastic update. About a week after this our senior went off sick again and then quit effective immediately. So our department was royally fucked in being behind work. Instead of getting a replacement member of staff and promoting a current one to senior, the senior from the adjacent department is now overseeing us, but not doing the previous' work (which is understandable as she has her own) so the rest has piled on the rest, with another going on maternity leave.

However the amount of fucks given by the entire workforce has cut dramatically by: https://westbridgfordwire.com/circle-health-responds-to-court-ruling-on-treatment-centre-at-nuh/

Many people are now looking for other jobs. under TUPE we are protected from being fired as a result of the change in ownership, but is it no guarantee of having a job. Although the amount of work we do at the moment will have to be done by someone, but the jobs we will all be offered will not be the same duties, department or location... So next couple of months are going to be most interesting...

@EEVILMURRAY Were you cursed or something cos things never goes well with you. 😂 Hopefully it's just a minor bump that don't led into anything bad. 

On 30/05/2019 at 7:06 PM, DriftKaiser said:

@EEVILMURRAY Were you cursed or something cos things never goes well with you. 😂 Hopefully it's just a minor bump that don't led into anything bad. 

I feel that way. I need to be drowning in job offers like Animal :p

It is a bit surreal this situation though, we're all essentially getting new jobs but with no idea on the what/where/when. Exciting stuff. We will all have independent talks with the NUH people about what they can offer as a job, and whatever they can do in relation to the perks we already get which current NUH staff do not get etc, over the next 45ish days, so shall keep yo' updated.

Asked for a pay rise earlier and it's gone up the chain.

8006789bb0cc3734ca56a33a79d2660023d66fd7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having fun trying to stay awake at work today. Keep almost nodding off at my desk. I need something to break so I can go fix it.

On 21/09/2017 at 1:43 PM, Ashley said:

Working on specing a new request, which basically has a number of factors and for each one the person meets the requirements they get that factor.  Each factor also has its own score (one may be worth 1 point, another 2 etc) and obviously they get a total amount of factors and a total score (up to 7).  Over the course of several emails, and eventually a face to face conversation, the discussion basically went as follows:

Them: They pass if they get 2 factors and a score of greater than 2 or 2 factors and a score between 2-3.5
Me: Is that not the same thing by and large?
Them: No because if they get a score of 4 they shouldn't be included
Me: But 4 is greater than 2
Them: Yes, but not between 2 and 3-5
Me: But you said either greater than 2 or between 2-3.5
Them: Yes, so if they get 4 they shouldn't be included
Me: But that meets the "greater than 2" part
Them: But not 2-3.5
Me: But you said or
Them: Yes because it can be either
Me: So if they get 4 its the first part
Them: But not the second
Me: So you only want it if its between 2-3.5?
Them: Yes

I'm so glad I posted this here as I've dug it out on numerous occasions to show to colleagues. 

On 05/06/2019 at 10:17 PM, Ashley said:

Asked for a pay rise earlier and it's gone up the chain.

8006789bb0cc3734ca56a33a79d2660023d66fd7

Similar thing at my work. I was sat in a meeting room with my boss and the talent acquisition officer having a bit of a gossip. The TAO complained that she was promised an annual pay review but hasn't had one in years. I mentioned I had never had one and the TAO pointed to my boss and said it was her responsibility. Neither me nor my boss knew about it, as we always assumed it was the senior manager that handled that sort of thing. 

So I may actually get a pay review now. Not a definite rise, but it's on my bosses mind at least 

Things have been going downhill at my current company quite dramatically. This has been both with my role moving into areas I have no interest in and the shockingly bad overall performance of the company. So I've been searching for something new for a while.

I've just started a three week holiday and have been sent two offers - such a good feeling. The roles are Senior Director of Platform for an animation company that wants to run a casual games platform and the other is COO for a game developer startup some ex-colleagues have set up. They both come with a 50% pay rise which is great and both roles I'd be happy to do.

Now I'm off on holiday, my visa should be approved while I'm away and I'll be able to hand my notice in the first day back - time to celebrate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started at a new place last September and I am enjoying it quite much. I've learnt a great deal about modern software development, Java, and about starting a new place. 

However, socially I'm having a bit of a hard time. While people are nice, I haven't found many that I "click" with, partially due to the fact that I'm working off site on a project that is starting to end so people are moving away from it. This means that we are relatively few people left at this place. On top of this, there has been quite a few resignations over the past year and it feels like every one that I tried to get close to just left afterwards. It's getting a bit frustrating now since there has just been a resignation from one that I have worked closely together with over the past half year. I felt that I had great fun with him so it's sad that he is leaving. 

But the tasks I have got have been really good and I'm still enjoying the job. I just wish I were better at socialising. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

I feel a bit like that @MindFreak 

I started with a new train company last year and with it being a totally different culture than my last one, I’m finding it a little hard to click with people, and a lot of the catering staff don’t seem to like drivers for some reason, possibly because some can be quite arrogant I suppose. The company is so much better, the trains are nicer and the pay and perks are much better, when I’ve been there two years, I’ll be on about 20 grand more than I was on at my last place, but I’m sometimes still left wondering if I made the right choice in that respect, I miss a lot of my old colleagues and the banter we had in the mess room. But I spend most of my time on my own anyway so it’s not a massive issue I guess.

I have to spend about a year learning routes, I can now drive to London and that on my own, but I’m still learning all the many diversionary routes. A few of the drivers I’ve spoken to in that time have said that they felt the same in the first year, wondering if they’ve made the right decision but now they love being here, so there’s hope I suppose. 

• Thanks 1