NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Let's see if this makes sense...

For 3 years I worked at place A, before moving to place B for 9 months and now I'm back at A.

Before I started someone (let's call them Geoff) worked at A. When I was at B he started working there and now he's working at both B and A.

He's offered me some work with his consultancy firm back at place B, which I can do alongside A as I do part-time there. 

I still want to get out of this line of work but he mentioned a day rate and a few hours later when I calculated the amount for the work (we were on the way to leaving drinks so I didn't think much about it at the time) it inspired me to be less concerned about that 😋

Who knows, maybe I can move over to that side of things more going forward. One day with that is about equal to one (three day) week where I am.

• Like 1

Right, back on my PC after some time of just fapping on the phone and general monging out watching TV. 

The job at the Mecca seems to be going well, but still the hours are random and crazy. Just got my rota email for week beginning 13th August:

11 hours on the Sunday, 5 on the Monday, 9.5 on Friday and 7 on the Saturday. Middle of the week with nothing much to do. Week after that? No idea, but I'm pretty sure my weekends will still be ruined.

In a small moment of joy, I got contacted by Capital One Promotions, who some may remember is one of those door-to-door 'charity'/selling companies, who have once again stumbled across my CV and invited me to an interview tomorrow. They phoned up earlier today and asked if it could be pushed back as the managing director had a "conference call" which would run into my previously agreed time. So I agreed to push it back. Not that I'd be turning up anyway. They appear to have forgotten they have interviews me before and I turned them down. 

Time for my weekly CV showering to all those that will accept it around the Nottingham area.

I'm on summer break, but have quite a lot to do for September. I've been making good time, so I decided to not do much work today and have a day off. I played a bit of The Witness before lifting weights. It didn't turn out to be much of a day off as I contacted this company about ICT resources (a pretty big headache for me as we've got fuck all) Then, I received some phone calls from work about an event we've got coming up that everybody but me seemed to have forgotten about (whilst I was brushing my teeth after showering...trying to talk with toothpaste isn't sexy), then received an email reply from that other company about ICT stuff (received whilst I was on the phone) and have just spent an hour sending a pretty detailed email about planning and resources to one of my colleagues who panics a fair bit. 

I've achieved more today than I did yesterday, which was my on-day. How does that work?! Literally solved two problems whilst brushing my teeth. If you count the clean teeth, that's three things done in one go. 

I think...I think I'm winning!

Edit: Almost forgot, also received a message this morning from a colleague about introducing and running a big project next year. Basically, more good news.

So, that's about 4 or 5 things today. Yes. Definitely winning.

• Like 2

HR is being spectacularly awful.  They truly have it down to an art form.

My 6 month contract was due to expire at the end of August.  My line manager put in a request to extend it in July.  They lost it (its electronic).  They then insisted it couldn't be a contract extension, it had to be a maternity cover post (technically I am staying on to cover a maternity role but was just going to be a contract extension for ease), which had to be set up on the internal job system.  It has taken so long for that to go through the process (and still is) that I got told a few weeks ago I will cease to be an employee yesterday and they will issue me with a P45 which I then need to bring to them.

I got the P45 last week (on pay day) so I took it to them the other day.  Lo and behold they rang today to say "are you expecting to still be working here?"  I explained I was but she seemed awfully confused how she could find out what was happening on their own system.  She had planned to ring my line manager but I mentioned she's off today.  So even though this person knows my name and National Insurance Number, as well as knowing who my manager is and thus who would 'own' the job listing, she had no way of finding the job listing apparently.

The deadline for September's pay is next Friday.  I highly doubt this will be sorted by then so it essentially means I will be working for nowt in September.  I expect to get it back obviously, but its just such a massive balls up.  If that does happen I'm going to go for them, mostly because in my old role I had to deal with the same HR contact and they are fucking useless.  Plus you know, emotional/financial distress of not being paid for a month (and then buggered with tax the following because of the double pay).

I also logged in to our HR system to take a backup of my payslips forgetting it was the 1st September today so they've all been removed.  I've emailed them to complain about that too (yes I forgot, but mostly because I AM STILL BLOODY WORKING THERE).

Fun times!

• Like 2

I've actually been recognised by my Head Office for being one of the few people selling the most in the region. I love that the team (myself included) were more shocked that we got recognition, haha.

I've been talking to the staff in my gym about my personal training and they said "its usually hard to get clients but the greatest thing about you is your drive and your ability to make people want to be around you", which was real nice. They also said it helps that I have people in the gym who want to do my treadmill workout because it shows motivation and me encouraging it.

I'm actually going for it all. Not just personal training but also a gym instructor and anything else too. After that, I'm going to try and become a Beachbody Instructor so I can teach Insanity, P90X, Core de Force and Cize. It'll be pricey but worth it in the long run.

I'm studying now even though it'll be next year. I'm finding the names of body cells tricky though...

I've been told that my job is now in-house, which simply isn't possible, so it looks like I'm going to be jobless very soon.

I'm starting to just apply for any old job at this point. I hate where I work and the people I work with. I go into work every morning miserable so I really just want to get out of here.

Working on specing a new request, which basically has a number of factors and for each one the person meets the requirements they get that factor.  Each factor also has its own score (one may be worth 1 point, another 2 etc) and obviously they get a total amount of factors and a total score (up to 7).  Over the course of several emails, and eventually a face to face conversation, the discussion basically went as follows:

Them: They pass if they get 2 factors and a score of greater than 2 or 2 factors and a score between 2-3.5
Me: Is that not the same thing by and large?
Them: No because if they get a score of 4 they shouldn't be included
Me: But 4 is greater than 2
Them: Yes, but not between 2 and 3-5
Me: But you said either greater than 2 or between 2-3.5
Them: Yes, so if they get 4 they shouldn't be included
Me: But that meets the "greater than 2" part
Them: But not 2-3.5
Me: But you said or
Them: Yes because it can be either
Me: So if they get 4 its the first part
Them: But not the second
Me: So you only want it if its between 2-3.5?
Them: Yes

• Like 4

On 9/21/2017 at 1:43 PM, Ashley said:

Working on specing a new request, which basically has a number of factors and for each one the person meets the requirements they get that factor.  Each factor also has its own score (one may be worth 1 point, another 2 etc) and obviously they get a total amount of factors and a total score (up to 7).  Over the course of several emails, and eventually a face to face conversation, the discussion basically went as follows:

Them: They pass if they get 2 factors and a score of greater than 2 or 2 factors and a score between 2-3.5
Me: Is that not the same thing by and large?
Them: No because if they get a score of 4 they shouldn't be included
Me: But 4 is greater than 2
Them: Yes, but not between 2 and 3-5
Me: But you said either greater than 2 or between 2-3.5
Them: Yes, so if they get 4 they shouldn't be included
Me: But that meets the "greater than 2" part
Them: But not 2-3.5
Me: But you said or
Them: Yes because it can be either
Me: So if they get 4 its the first part
Them: But not the second
Me: So you only want it if its between 2-3.5?
Them: Yes

We must have overlap in colleagues. :p

56 minutes ago, Mr_Odwin said:

We must have overlap in colleagues. :p

Then can you please take them?  I've had enough.

• Like 1

Think I share some colleagues with you guys too. 

People who don’t know what they want are alright and can be guided. People who are adamant about what they want and then change it half way through are the worst. 

“Oh do you mind adding this in?” Yes, yes I do mind  

Urgh not this one.  Seems to think 1 line is a sufficient request.  Bombarded them with four emails today asking more and more questions (as I discovered things, not intentionally being a dick).

My colleague has just had his expenses rejected because he claimed breakfast the morning that he travelled as the company got charged a B&B rate for that day (I.e he travelled Monday morning, stayed Monday night and had the included hotel breakfast Tuesday morning) he can’t claim breakfast the morning he travelled.

The absolute jobsworth will reject mine for the same reason. Obviously this is absolute rubbish and will get cleared up but this woman is causing problems for no reason and the money she’s trying to save, £6, is ending up costing the company far more in time. 

5 hours ago, Charlie said:

My colleague has just had his expenses rejected because he claimed breakfast the morning that he travelled as the company got charged a B&B rate for that day (I.e he travelled Monday morning, stayed Monday night and had the included hotel breakfast Tuesday morning) he can’t claim breakfast the morning he travelled.

I had to read this a coupla times to make sure I understood it correctly (and am posting with a sense of not-100%-certainty*), but this dude is trying to claim expenses for the breakfast he had before leaving his own house?! 

*I am rather drunk

• Like 1

Well no, because if it was breakfast in his house he wouldn't have a receipt to claim back now would he?

More likely it was him having to get up early to travel and so he got breakfast while travelling, something I've expensed many a time.

Maybe he hand-wrote himself a receipt, including charging for his time in making said breakfast?

On 26/09/2017 at 3:13 PM, Charlie said:

The absolute jobsworth will reject mine for the same reason. Obviously this is absolute rubbish and will get cleared up but this woman is causing problems for no reason and the money she’s trying to save, £6, is ending up costing the company far more in time. 

Our policy is that you can only claim (non-overnight) breakfast if you had to travel or leave home before 6am. I've done this recently when having to get an early flight, my travel receipt showing that I got a 5am (!) taxi proves that I had a legit reason to get breakfast at the airport.

To be honest if it's not in policy (assuming you have a well written and established expenses policy) then he really shouldn't have claimed it in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, Zell said:

Our policy is that you can only claim (non-overnight) breakfast if you had to travel or leave home before 6am. I've done this recently when having to get an early flight, my travel receipt showing that I got a 5am (!) taxi proves that I had a legit reason to get breakfast at the airport.

To be honest if it's not in policy (assuming you have a well written and established expenses policy) then he really shouldn't have claimed it in the first place. 

But rejecting the whole claim? Surely just rejecting that (£6) part.

I would reject the entire claim, and also fire the colleague.

Unacceptable levels of insubordination.

Also, £6 for breakfast? Where was he eating, Harrods? Wetherspoons do a fried breakfast and a pint for £4, not only setting him up right for the day, but saving his company valuable £'s and putting money back into a good British institution at the same time.