NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

My hours have been cut, meaning that I'm not working 3 full days instead of 5. Which is kind of a massive blow.

My new job has been going pretty well. I was supposed to have a review and potential £1k pay rise after 3 months if I did well. The boss asked to see me last Friday (a month after I started) and told me that I had done so well that the 3 month review wasn't needed and gave me a 2k rise. Whilst the money was awesome, it was the boost in confidence that was the nicest. There's been a lot to learn and I was worried I wasn't learning it quick enough, but I guess I must be doing pretty well.

The job as a whole can be very stressful, but the days do go unbelievably fast.

Today was also my first payday, and although I knew I'd be getting paid more, I didn't really know what to expect. With the new pay rise, my new job pays £4k more than my last and the monthly increase took me a bit by surprise. Money wasn't exactly a struggle before, but it always required some sort of budgeting. This month I managed to pay back the £70 overdraft I had used last month (last pay check at the last job was less than ideal and I had been to Themefest), put a decent chunk into my savings, put more than usual into our shared account and still have plenty left to last me the month.

Good lord it's great to finally get a decent wage.

I have also been entertaining the idea of doing some freelance work on the side. Nothing too big, just some cheap logo design for local businesses. Since I now work in a print/design shop, I have access to decent leaflet printers, so I figured I'd just drop some flyers into small local businesses. I'm looking at charging £50 for just a logo, £100 for logo and stationery and £150 for a logo, stationery and branding guideline document. It's cheap, but I'm hoping some businesses will go for it almost as an impulse buy.

Just heard from my colleague that our useless section leader fucked up big time and currently trying to cover her own ass. She obviously knew that my friend is on holiday this week since she mentioned it to other Section Leader last week and it's already recorded in the holiday book months ago but didn't input it in the computer for rota and wage. So she marked my friend down as absent...

It's getting quite ridiculous that my friend have to deal with this bullshit everytime she booking some time off for a while now. "2 colleagues can't be off on the same Sat shift" in week one yet a different colleagues and me are off on the same Sat shift in week 2 lolwut?

Edit:

Haha. Just found out that that section leader attempted to ranting about my friend to the gals at the clothing dept cos "she supposed to be off next week!" last night. One of those gals are best friend with my colleague replied this "Why would she be off the week when her parents come back when the whole idea is to be off when they are away..."

Edited by DriftKaiser

Had a second stage interview on Friday. It went well and they seemed keen on me, the main manager even said I was one of the front-runners. They said I would hear back on Monday but I still haven't heard anything. I sent an email to the HR manager (who dealt with my application) asking if they had an update at 4pm on Monday but still no reply.

If it was a yes I think they would have contacted me by know, but if it was a no they surely would have also replied. So I'm thinking it may be something like they've offered it to somebody else, but are waiting to finalise it with them before turning me down. Not sure what to do, Shall I call them?

Nothing to lose by contacting them. I imagine they've just had to postpone making a decision for some reason or another. Everything takes ages when it comes to hiring.

I got a decent pay raise starting in the next couple of weeks, somewhere around 7%. I still feel like I can't keep on top of my finances though. Owning a home/living alone is expensive, and that's despite having a pretty cheap house/reasonable mortgage.

One of the things I used to love about my job was getting paid weekly, but now I'd much rather get paid monthly. However, to make the change/bridge the gap I'd have to save a fair bit and it feels like I'm stuck in a loop.

Edited by Shorty

I would call them' date=' there are all sorts of internal things that could be going on that would delay things regardless of the answer. They're not going to change their mind just because you give them a ring, better to give yourself some peace of mind and find out what's going on.[/quote']

Nothing to lose by contacting them. I imagine they've just had to postpone making a decision for some reason or another. Everything takes ages when it comes to hiring.

Finally got back to me today to tell me it's a no.

Having really shit luck with job searches. I think my current role was a really bad decision on my part and is making it harder. I've even started looking for roles up to £6k less than my current salary but still not having much luck.

A letter is going out to parents tomorrow where I am confirmed as the new leader of our junior school. It went out to all staff today first before parents. :)

Headmaster delivered! Reminds me of that epic quote from The Dark Knight: "sometimes people deserve their faith to be rewarded."

Presumably it's on A3 to fit all your names on it?

Just been checking my leave allowance for the year, i think i got too much leave to take. Might be having most of June and parts of July off like last year. During the check, i found an old manager of mine decided to add days onto the calendar i have no recollection of ever booking (i keep a separate log of days i book so i keep tabs).

Wow. My boss just offered me a master in IT from IT University in Copenhagen. It will be a 2.5 year's program that will end up giving me a(nother) Master's Degree. Completely free, but any time spent on it is free time, meaning that I have a full time job (37 hours a week here in Denmark) and a half time university study on the side. From others I've heard that it will amount to probably 15 hours a week at most, so it's quite demanding on my spare time. Also, and this is the reason for turning the offer down (if I do that), my girlfriend and I have started the talk: marriage, baby, all that. She is just now finishing her university studies, becoming a medical doctor in two weeks and starting up her first job in two months. So the timing is both great and horrible. I know that it might be available again in a couple of years but then there will definitely be children and that would complicate stuff as well.

I genuinely don't know what to do but I'm extremely flattered by getting the offer!

I wrote this two years ago. Now, I have one week left before I have to hand in my master thesis and am almost done with it. I have an oral exam on June 8th and will after this point in time have not one but two masters. In connection with this I got a pay raise of about 7 % which is quite alright, and also got promoted to Senior Software Engineer. Now I just hope that I can put my skills to good use or that some cool company wants to headhunt me. ^^

Also, regarding the children: Such foresight! My wife is giving birth in two months to our first child. In the meantime, we also got married (had first anniversary last Sunday). So yeah.

Since last Wednesday, it has become official that I'm not going back to England. Succeeded in my goal of getting visa sponsorship.

The problem? The company sucks and the location is really not my cup of tea. So, I started chasing up a company that had previously showed interest but had been slow to arrange anything that I now have a firm offer from elsewhere and if they're still interested, let's get the ball rolling. Just had my second stage interview with them today and that too went pretty damn well. Find out around Monday at the latest if I'm successful, and then I'll be off for training in Tokyo for a month. Even better, I'll get to remain in the area I want to be in.

I have trouble maintaining optimism, but got a good feeling about this. It would be super fucking hype.

Optimism didn't fail me for once. Find out around Monday my ass, they contacted me the next day saying they wanted me and wanted me to confirm my intention as to whether I want to work with them.

So my half victory has now turned to roughly 95%.

Previous offer:

Basically in Tokyo

The pay would be insufficient for the area

Had to pay for my own training

Wanted to make me a self proprietor so they had next to no responsibility.

No insurance offered at all.

Job offer I just accepted:

On the island I'm already on.

Pay far better (by around £370 extra a month) despite not being in a high income area.

One month training that I'm paid for.

Health and employee insurance and all that jazz

No self proprietor bull shit, wants me as an actual employee.

Going far north to bumfuck nowhere Asahikawa to sign my contract, receive my schedule, my flight tickets and hotel information in Tokyo as I need to start training on the 5th of June. I think that's where they're going to stick me as a teacher too, but there's still a chance I'll be in Sapporo. If I move it isn't a big deal, Sapporo's only 2 hours away so I can come every weekend.

So yeah, feeling good. 4 job offers since last Wednesday, only two can give me that visa so half were no good, but what a boost to my confidence. Funny considering I said to Guy and Rinha just before they left Sapporo last Wednesday morning "I've got a funny feeling this isn't going to work out and I'll have to go home temporarily".

I'm ecstatic. Folks at home are proud. Exceeded certain family members expectations by a huge margin. Girlfriend is thrilled that I'm not moving far away. The only people not too thrilled are the staff at the part time job I have. I appreciate the notice period isn't great, but if you think I'm going to turn down this job you've got another thing coming!

Presumably it's on A3 to fit all your names on it?

I changed my name recently, so you can no longer make that joke! :o

#getwiththetimes

I changed my name recently, so you can no longer make that joke! :o

#getwiththetimes

I don't care.

I hope you're aware that I'm crashing your wedding to make that joke.

Just found a box of Firework lighters that shouldn't be in a comp full of deleted stock that happened to be infront of a mini power grid. Had to report it to the managers cos it's a fire hazard!

My work is so moronic sometimes (always). Got a text today on my day off saying the signature we were waiting for had arrived so could I tidy up the scan and send it onto our designer.....the designer who we pay to do design stuff like tidying things up and who will have actual design software instead of the free version of Gimp that I have to use.

I just ignored them and forwarded it to her as is.

The shareholders officially voted to approve my position as a director this week. Doesn't really make a big difference to my day to day, but it's nice to have some sort of approval on what I'm doing.

Anyway I left that place just over a month ago as I touched upon in the Bad Stuff Thread. After a lot of searching I have found a job back in a field that I want to work in and will be starting training on Wednesday.

I SHOULD be excited, and often times I am, but I also get an overwhelming sense of dread too at the thought of once again starting somewhere new. I'm trying to stay positive and embrace the change though :p

It will be at a reisdential home so it's similar kind of work to what I was doing for 2 years until late last year, so hopefully I won't be too clueless haha

The curse of 2017 has raised its head once more. So yeah, I did two shifts and absolutely hated every second and kinda broke down before my third shift. I rang in sick that day and the following day before my shift after having not really slept I thought yeah... this really isn't for me and told them I'm really sorry to have messed them around but I won't be coming back.

In the days since I have decided I won't be going back into care for at least a few years. I saw some horrible sights at the previous home and have had a bad time personally the last two years so I haven't got the energy to be there for people emotionally, which is a big aspect of that job, so I'm not able to offer the support they need and not able to cope myself outside of work.

Whether by coincidence or because allied health getting wind of my departure, I got a call yesterday saying my therapy can start again a few weeks early, so I'll be going to that every Tuesday for a while. Hopefully that will help get me back to normal and in a job outside of care.

• Like 1

@Josh64 You should just dedicate your life to posting news on N-Europe.com

There's one department at work that drive me crazy. They have requested numerous developments, but its mostly one line stuff with no substance so I'm not working on them. I ask them questions and they don't respond for ages and then when they do they expect results straight away. They actually questioned why I wasn't their dedicated resource recently (I don't know, because you're not paying for me?) One of them emailed me today basically insisting I drop everything to do something for them I asked them to test a week ago and then tried to say if I didn't I would be holding back something that's supposed to kick off tomorrow so I laid into them because that was complete bull and I didn't want them shifting the blame for their own lack of planning or organisation.

But in better news, been working on some form to allow students to apply for funding/scholarships online (yup, still done with paper) and got all sorts of fancy javascript things working today (or at least fancy compared to the rest of the things we have). Didn't finish off the whole thing as I hoped, but I think I'm now over the biggest hurdle as the rest, from what I recall, is pretty straight forward. Just finished off some stuff back at home because I knew it would kind of pester me until I'm back next week but I'm happy I got it working (or at least a demo version working on codepen).

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Work is just getting worse and worse. Everything is a mess and I've feel like I'm being punished for putting effort into it (including working unpaid over a weekend). I really want out now.

I'm just really worried about affording my house, losing my cats and stuff like that. It's my first proper job and I've been there for 8 years.

I don't even care what my new job is. I just can't cope with this any more.

Work is just getting worse and worse. Everything is a mess and I've feel like I'm being punished for putting effort into it (including working unpaid over a weekend). I really want out now.

I'm just really worried about affording my house, losing my cats and stuff like that. It's my first proper job and I've been there for 8 years.

I don't even care what my new job is. I just can't cope with this any more.

That sucks sorry Cube.

I feel like I'm in a similar position. Forced to move from full time to part time last year and now my department is going to be overseen by the marketing manager at the school who is just a nightmare to work with. She hasn't even taken over yet and she's already causing trouble everywhere. I got so annoyed the other week I had to go take a walk otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have smashed something in my office.

I'm looking for work elsewhere but not having any luck so far. I just need anything really at this point to get me out of that damn school.

Edited by Happenstance

Just been offered a new job at the school starting next term which would take me away from development/marketing into a more IT focused role. Its definitely something I'm more interested in but still part time unfortunately so while I will most likely accept it I'll still be looking to move onto something else sooner rather than later.

So finished my studies today with a nice grade and a new title of professional master in software engineering. Also got promoted to Senior Software Engineer from July 1st though that basically only means more responsibility as I already got the most of the pay-raise that was going along with the title.

Now for that talk with my boss about career path and what I want to do with my professional life... that's a hard one!

I had two interviews earlier in the week but both ended up being a bust. 

The first one seemed to go ok, I was quite natural and answered everything fine, had a friendly rapport going on but man, the second interview was baaaaaaaaad.

Like, the worst interview I've ever had :laughing: And it takes a lot to beat my first ever interview back when I was 16, believe me. Anyway, for some reason my mind was BLANK for pretty much every question, I was such a mong. I took ages to respond and in trying to seem calm I think I may have come across as uninterested. 

Ah well, onwards and upwards, I'm usually fine at interviews so I'll just pen it down to a one off pooper.

Got another interview this coming Monday somewhere else so I'm gonna try knock 'em dead. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Josh64 said:

I had two interviews earlier in the week but both ended up being a bust. 

The first one seemed to go ok, I was quite natural and answered everything fine, had a friendly rapport going on but man, the second interview was baaaaaaaaad.

Like, the worst interview I've ever had :laughing: And it takes a lot to beat my first ever interview back when I was 16, believe me. Anyway, for some reason my mind was BLANK for pretty much every question, I was such a mong. I took ages to respond and in trying to seem calm I think I may have come across as uninterested. 

Ah well, onwards and upwards, I'm usually fine at interviews so I'll just pen it down to a one off pooper.

Got another interview this coming Monday somewhere else so I'm gonna try knock 'em dead. 

You got this. If it goes wrong, mimic the flirty behaviour in one of the K-pop music videos and dance. 

So guys, here it is, the one you've all been waiting for: I want out.

Okay so let me explain. The job itself is okay. It's easy, simple and I get on decently with the staff (we had major hiccups at one stage where two members teamed up and tried and failed to get me into trouble/demoted. That was months ago though and they've both been separated and they are better apart).

I want out because it's retail and also because of customers. Even my manager has commented saying that in all of the 30 years of managing stores, the one we are in now is by far the rudest. I've been threatened, we constantly have thieves and the rules are getting sillier by the minute. They expect everything in the shop to be done on Sunday only, bearing in mind it's our busiest day, we only have 2 people in and it's open for 5 hours.

It's why I've made the decision to become a personal trainer. I've found a course to do but work is a bit of a problem. My manager is supportive about it but it's the assistant who needs to cover my shifts when I take the test that's the problem. If push comes to shove, I will leave.

I can't wait to start studying.

• Like 4

OK, who had them end of June?

That sounds great though, do something that you're interested in and don't get threatened every day.

• Haha 1