NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Going on my first ever business trip abroad on Monday...

Palm-island-Dubai-aerial-tour.jpg

3 and half weeks in Dubai!

Been informed today that my development department at the school is most likely going to be merged this summer with the marketing department. This would have me back working under the same marketing woman as last year that basically left me a depressed mess and forced me to reduce my hours to part time so I wont be staying. I've already been looking for a new job but I'll be stepping up the search now as once this happens, job or no job I'll be leaving.

I was contacted by the DeVere group about some job in financial advising I think and to reply saying I had received said email and to be invited to watch a webinar by their CEO and to reply confirming that. Watched said webinar, which the main points I typed as I watched:

Disses authority

Promote working abroad, more money, less tax, more opps

Loves mentioning ex pats and South Africans

Waddawe do?

Talk about making/protecting capitals

But we show middle people to invest

Saving/investment programs

Promote app only bank

Come to malta and learn business

Fly you, train you classroom style

How to market/talk etc

4 weeks

Then go on location, all app to be outside UK

Work with advisor

Learn about fx

Learn investment business/intro to clients

1-2 yr period

Av 30k in first year

Which sounds kinda delightful. However I had already previously did the Google on them prior to this and the results are an interesting mixed bag. Some fist it - some say it's a bit of a scam which throws you in at the deep end in the Malta thing. I was supposed to have a follow up call with the Senior Recruitment Manager this morning, intending to ask about the nitty-gritty Malta costs and why me, but it appears I neglected to reply to the email confirming I was down with that.

I was contacted by the DeVere group about some job in financial advising I think and to reply saying I had received said email and to be invited to watch a webinar by their CEO and to reply confirming that. Watched said webinar, which the main points I typed as I watched:

Disses authority

Promote working abroad, more money, less tax, more opps

Loves mentioning ex pats and South Africans

Waddawe do?

Talk about making/protecting capitals

But we show middle people to invest

Saving/investment programs

Promote app only bank

Come to malta and learn business

Fly you, train you classroom style

How to market/talk etc

4 weeks

Then go on location, all app to be outside UK

Work with advisor

Learn about fx

Learn investment business/intro to clients

1-2 yr period

Av 30k in first year

Which sounds kinda delightful. However I had already previously did the Google on them prior to this and the results are an interesting mixed bag. Some fist it - some say it's a bit of a scam which throws you in at the deep end in the Malta thing. I was supposed to have a follow up call with the Senior Recruitment Manager this morning, intending to ask about the nitty-gritty Malta costs and why me, but it appears I neglected to reply to the email confirming I was down with that.

Don't do it. I was contacted out of the blue by some people like this before. It's a pyramid selling scheme for financial products.

The guy was all "Let me lay my cards on the table: it's 10pm at my office right now, because people are still here because they can keep earning so much every day."

Which I heard as:

"I'm a dishonest bastard, we take a cut of what our people make: but they never make enough, so they work all hours."

Don't waste another minute.

POTENTIAL RANTINGS. BUT IT'S WELL ENTERTAINING.

Don't do it. I was contacted out of the blue by some people like this before. It's a pyramid selling scheme for financial products.

The guy was all "Let me lay my cards on the table: it's 10pm at my office right now, because people are still here because they can keep earning so much every day."

Which I heard as:

"I'm a dishonest bastard, we take a cut of what our people make: but they never make enough, so they work all hours."

Don't waste another minute.

Pretty much confirming what I suspected.

I have a new job naow at the Mecca Bingo literally around the corner from me, I could walk there in a minute, maybe two if the traffic light crossing takes the piss (which this one always does, even before I moved) The contracted hours is 16 hours a week, which if I did just that I'd have under what I give the missus each month, but luckily I'm getting some overtime so averaging out at about 25 a week for the moment. However the shifts/departments are all over the place, which can get confusing but tis an enjoyable job, so cannae complain too much.

Tue 25th

18.00 20.00 Food

Wed 26th

12.00 16.00 Food

Fri 28th

12.00 15.30 Food

17.30 19.00 Front Of House

19.15 22.00 C/L

Sat 29th

11.00 16.00 Food

18.00 23.00 Food

Food can encompass either working behind the bar, delivering food to both halls and cleaning up after one/both of said halls.

Naow here's my rota for a few weeks after:

Sun 7th

11.00 16.00 Food

17.00 22.00 Food

Mon 8th

16.00 22.00 Food

Tue 9th

16.00 21.30 Food

Fri 12th

12.00 15.30 Food

17.30 19.00 FOH

19.15 22.00 C/L

Update on this:

Likewise, however my appeal was "denied by the directors", my personal reason set aside and the only argument given was regards to my mentioning that I wasn't aware of the company disciplinary/grievance procedure due to their lack of giving us a contract after 2 months of employment - their response (from my supervisor) was that she gave us some booklet in the first week which apparently negated it.

I later sent her an email asking for the directors contact details so I could deal with them personally, no reply. I later heard they asked the worker sitting behind me for a full statement about my leaving. Rang up yesterday (whilst on speaker with my mic recording) chasing it up, she told me she had forwarded it to the directors and is not authorised to give out their contact details. Told her to provide with me in writing (by the end of the day - didn't get it) the reason why they denied my appeal and that I would be taking it to the CAB.

Companies House has only one director of the company, and if his email is in the same format as the other workers of the firm then I have it. Plan on a multi assault: Calling the main hotline for the company, which also deals with unfair dismissal, explain my story (without saying where I was dismissed from) and record them - hopefully - saying I have a basis for a claim, then fire off an email to everyone at the company who's email I can remember asking for the directors details (even though I may technically have it) attaching my appeal, some shots of the "contract" and explaining I have recordings of all my calls, which I will be taking to the CAB, SRA and legal ombudsman. See what response I get.

According to the firm, they don't deal with unfair dismissal, weird.

My contacting the Director seemed to get a bit of a response, he asked for 7 days to review it. 10 days later (3rd April) I get a call from someone I worked with, who is the "general manager" of the company, telling me my issue was with Alpha UK Business Services Limited, the company that I was hired by as they are two seperate companies, because I wanted written confirmation of my confirmation and the subsequent denial of my appeal. He told me I had been sent a letter, which I had not gotten, along with my P45. The resent letter arrived almost immediately, saying only that I should contact Alpha directly. I tried calling both the phone numbers I could find on them, one rang until it just gave up after 20 seconds, the other just cut off straight away. So eventually I contacted them saying that I only just got my P45 (this was around 22nd April) and I wanted the other stuff and reply by the end of business that day.

Dear Mr Wheatley,

We write in relation to you recent correspondence.

Please note we acknowledge your recent correspondence.

However please note a letter was posted previously clarifying matters.

We will look into the matter and will respond to you accordingly within 14 days.

Yours sincerely,

Alpha UK Business Services

This was sent by the general manager of the firm who has their own email with the company.

Hi David

I am glad you have noted you have received my email. As someone who informed me they were the General Manager at Broadway Solicitors and that Broadway Solicitors and Alpha UK are two separate companies it is most surprising that it is you who have responded as the voice of Alpha with their own email. This is not the first case in which you have contacted me on their behalf and it is clear that the two companies are not as separate as you may have implied.

Regarding our phone calls which I believe took place on the 3rd April you did mention you had sent me a letter clarifying matters as well as mentioning that I should be contacting Alpha and not Broadway, which was a clear response to my contacting Farooq Rafiq regarding my appeal. As you said you would resend a letter which was sent shortly after my appeal was denied. As the letter was dated 27th March and it was, as mentioned, clearly a response to my contacting Farooq, which I did on 23rd March, this letter cannot have been sent as earlier as you claim, as I do not believe I had contacted anyone prior to this to appeal my appeal, and for some reason you felt it appropriate to phone me on 3rd April after the original letter was claimed to have been sent, but I had made no further attempt to contact any client companies of Alpha which would warrant such a phone call. As such I find your behaviour as someone who appears to be employed by both companies most suspicious.

A letter did indeed arrive but it only repeated your message about contacting Alpha direct, with one sentence saying there were insufficient grounds to appeal my appeal. This letter did not contain any mention of reasoning behind the original dismissal or the denial of the original appeal on personal grounds. As this letter claims to be a copy of the original, you must have copies of the previous letters you have claimed to have sent to me these can be easily resent without delay and does not require 14 days to do so.

I shall expect the aforementioned documentation by the end of the week.

On a side note, you appear to have misspelled your address in your signature as “Joradale House”, not Jarodale House as is the case on all other Alpha addresses. In addition it appears you have, or are in the process of, changing your address to Office 7 35-37 Ludgate Hill London EC4M 7JN as of 3rd April as displayed on Companies House. Also on Alpha’s website you have a lengthy quote from a “David Evis” of Broadway Solicitors. According to The Law Society there are not any solicitors named David Evis. It is hard to believe that such radical changes/errors have been made and have gone unnoticed.

As previously mentioned, I expect the relevant documentation by the end of the week at the latest.

Sent on Tuesday, not received anything yet.

Oh wow, your people work til 10PM? Sign me up!

What a special kind of fucking idiot lol.

Oh wow, your people work til 10PM? Sign me up!

What a special kind of fucking idiot lol.

Mecca stays open until 11pm. Bingo finishes around half 9, but people stick to the slots like limpets nearly all the way to the end.

Mecca stays open until 11pm. Bingo finishes around half 9, but people stick to the slots like limpets nearly all the way to the end.

Yeah I meant more that the person who was trying to sell a job to someone while also mentioning their staff work all hours isn't doing a great job advertising it.

So they got rid of the nightshift colleagues from our dept which mean even more works for us backshift/morning colleagues. No way I can do the reverse-pick, gap-scan, put the overstocks away, collect the returns from CSD, rumble(tidy the sale floor), doing the paper returns and split the deliveries into upstairs/downstairs on pallets within 5 hours.

Not mention the facts that other colleagues from previous shifts before me are so useless at doing their own jobs which have a huge impact on my tasks too. Think I might follow my friend and get a career change too cos the retail work sucks!

Every year, we get a performance review where we get a marking to determine how we've performed throughout the year. I've been excluded from this years meeting regarding it, i'm guessing the old boss doesn't want me there. I'll probably get the marking through my new manager via the old one. Seems odd, considering everyone else (bar me) is invited. I've contacted my rep whose adding it to the report we're filing against them.

A colleague and me are gonna tell our dept manager about how a certain section leader refused to help us with split the deliveries this week. I had to do 8 pallets myself yesterday and it took 2.5 hours! Either get that section leader to help us or increase the number of colleagues on backshift during weekdays rather than weekend.

So they got rid of the nightshift colleagues from our dept which mean even more works for us backshift/morning colleagues. No way I can do the reverse-pick, gap-scan, put the overstocks away, collect the returns from CSD, rumble(tidy the sale floor), doing the paper returns and split the deliveries into upstairs/downstairs on pallets within 5 hours.

Not mention the facts that other colleagues from previous shifts before me are so useless at doing their own jobs which have a huge impact on my tasks too. Think I might follow my friend and get a career change too cos the retail work sucks!

That at the Tesco?

That at the Tesco?

Nope. The company famous for "back-pocket tapping".

Nope. The company famous for "back-pocket tapping".

*Anus fapping.

They may have taken a leaf from the Tesco handbook. I could barely gapscan anything towards the end as the night staff had just given up giving a shit so didn't work any backstock. I just scanned, printed off the report and in stored everything. If they bitched I'd recommend they go into the warehouse and tell me how I was supposed to do my job. So just worked backstock which was awesome.

It's quite infuriating when the other colleagues fucked up with the salefloor. I spent 3+ months doing the seasonal aisle between October and late Jan so I didn't have an opportunity to do the gap scan at the upstairs salefloor during that time. For an example, we got two similar pasta bowls but one is priced £1 and other £3 so someone put them together and constantly put an OoS sel on the "gap"...

It was not always like that as we used to have the best team and best dept manager years ago but they moved on with their lives :/

It's quite infuriating when the other colleagues fucked up with the salefloor. I spent 3+ months doing the seasonal aisle between October and late Jan so I didn't have an opportunity to do the gap scan at the upstairs salefloor during that time. For an example, we got two similar pasta bowls but one is priced £1 and other £3 so someone put them together and constantly put an OoS sel on the "gap"...

It was not always like that as we used to have the best team and best dept manager years ago but they moved on with their lives :/

Gap... OoS gapscan...

These are words. But I do not understand them.

Oos = out of stock

Gapscan is where we get our PDA's and scan the gaps. The labels on the shelves have lil barcodes on them. When done we print a report which shows which gaps are "true" ie = not here, or according to the report it should be in the back somewhere so you know what to look for.

We had a lot of similar problems in the retail place I was at earlier this year, they seem to reduce the staff more and more until all you can do is work as fast as possible, fly over the rumbling and leave the place late with everything looking like shit and aching all over having not had a break, though granted I could have had a break, I just wanted to try and somewhat salvage that dire looking store.

They also got rid of the entire night staff team and decided to move them to twilight staff, having the same amount of work but also having to deal with customers, get shoved on checkouts and all that good stuff.

Anyway I left that place just over a month ago as I touched upon in the Bad Stuff Thread. After a lot of searching I have found a job back in a field that I want to work in and will be starting training on Wednesday.

I SHOULD be excited, and often times I am, but I also get an overwhelming sense of dread too at the thought of once again starting somewhere new. I'm trying to stay positive and embrace the change though :p

It will be at a reisdential home so it's similar kind of work to what I was doing for 2 years until late last year, so hopefully I won't be too clueless haha

Got my name on my first patent, which is pretty cool.

Probably won't happy again as my company aren't really into taking out patents on everything we do, but the client we did some work for was taking out the patent on the finished product, and offered to list me as a joint inventor, which was nice of them.

I'm sorry that having your name on a patent means you'll never be happy​ again.

Life will never get any better than this...

Since last Wednesday, it has become official that I'm not going back to England. Succeeded in my goal of getting visa sponsorship.

The problem? The company sucks and the location is really not my cup of tea. So, I started chasing up a company that had previously showed interest but had been slow to arrange anything that I now have a firm offer from elsewhere and if they're still interested, let's get the ball rolling. Just had my second stage interview with them today and that too went pretty damn well. Find out around Monday at the latest if I'm successful, and then I'll be off for training in Tokyo for a month. Even better, I'll get to remain in the area I want to be in.

I have trouble maintaining optimism, but got a good feeling about this. It would be super fucking hype.

Had a second stage interview on Friday. It went well and they seemed keen on me, the main manager even said I was one of the front-runners. They said I would hear back on Monday but I still haven't heard anything. I sent an email to the HR manager (who dealt with my application) asking if they had an update at 4pm on Monday but still no reply.

If it was a yes I think they would have contacted me by know, but if it was a no they surely would have also replied. So I'm thinking it may be something like they've offered it to somebody else, but are waiting to finalise it with them before turning me down. Not sure what to do, Shall I call them?

Edited by MoogleViper
Automerged Doublepost

I would call them, there are all sorts of internal things that could be going on that would delay things regardless of the answer. They're not going to change their mind just because you give them a ring, better to give yourself some peace of mind and find out what's going on.

I go for my induction day at the new job tomorrow. I've been really fucked in the head the last 6 months so this will be my 4th job in that time period. I'm hoping that I'm in a better place now though, I feel better emotionally but still fear my anxiety will go crazy again.

The difference this time is I'm actively trying to beat it with meds and therapy so I'm gonna try and stay positive and keep reminding myself things don't have to go as bad as they previously have.

I just want to shake myself :p like OMG JUST BE EXCITED FOR A NEW JOB INSTEAD OF WORRYING MY GOD.