NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

How long are you going to give them?

There needs to be a plan in place or at least a clear indication of things coming together by the end of the summer term. I can understand that plans do take time to formulate, so I'll be reasonable. But, I'm not a mug and there are other jobs and great schools to work out.

In 2006 I started my law degree. Today, I qualify as a solicitor.

LaxYTX.jpg

Pretty sure soliciting is illegal, but whatever. If it makes you happy.

After a month and a bit in Singapore, having a bit of free time here and doing a little travel around the area (Thailand and Vietnam) I've decided that I will take the job on offer here. Singapore certainly isn't Tokyo but it really seems like a nice laid back lifestyle and the ability to travel is so simple it seems like a good next adventure. So from next year I'll be Director of Strategic Planning for South East Asia. Basically looking after all long term direction as well as project approval and tracking alongside bringing in new business from partners in the region. It's going to be super busy but I'm really excited to get cracking on it.

In 2006 I started my law degree. Today, I qualify as a solicitor.

LaxYTX.jpg

Congratulations, you sexy fuck!

@will&\#39; if you could get me a job in QA traveling, that'd be great ;)

./jest

Actually, if you want to work in Vietnam or Philippines we're always hiring. Not sure how the technicalities of visas etc. would work out but there are opportunities...

Well done @will&\#39; with the job change, hope it all works out alright!

I need some tips from people on how to ask for a pay rise! I have been with the company since May 2014 and as I am the only employee, I feel like all the work is just shifted to me.

I don't think I earn enough for all the work I do to be honest, and a recent post by my boss on a Facebook entrepreneur group he set up (I'm stalking him) basically said "I'm now making much more than I would have been able to do if I was still just an employee, and by the end of next year I'm aiming to at least double that!".

So he's probably earning quite a bit more than me, and plans to earn even more... So I really need a payrise!

How do I go about asking for this via email? What do I write down? Obviously I can't use the above argument. :P

But some points:

- Not had a payrise since working there (I did move from part-time to full-time, but that's not really a payrise)

- Not had a single sick day since starting work

- I do overtime when necessary to finish projects

- I try to work efficiently and quickly to get projects moving along quickly

Don't know what else really... Just frustrated that I am earning peanuts while doing all the work, while my boss gets paid more for simple sending me over the work... :/

I need some tips from people on how to ask for a pay rise! I have been with the company since May 2014 and as I am the only employee, I feel like all the work is just shifted to me.

I don't think I earn enough for all the work I do to be honest, and a recent post by my boss on a Facebook entrepreneur group he set up (I'm stalking him) basically said "I'm now making much more than I would have been able to do if I was still just an employee, and by the end of next year I'm aiming to at least double that!".

So he's probably earning quite a bit more than me, and plans to earn even more... So I really need a payrise!

How do I go about asking for this via email? What do I write down? Obviously I can't use the above argument. :P

But some points:

- Not had a payrise since working there (I did move from part-time to full-time, but that's not really a payrise)

- Not had a single sick day since starting work

- I do overtime when necessary to finish projects

- I try to work efficiently and quickly to get projects moving along quickly

Don't know what else really... Just frustrated that I am earning peanuts while doing all the work, while my boss gets paid more for simple sending me over the work... :/

Do your prep. Essentially create a report on yourself. Show how you've exceeded in your duties, contributed to the company, grown since you started, expanded the role capabilities etc. You should also decide what salary you want/deserve. Don't say "I want a pay rise" as they'll give you something piddly like 1%. Say "I'd like to discuss my pay. Based on my performance/ability I feel I deserve £x (maybe add a grand or two as they'll probably negotiate)". Then go into the aforementioned stuff on everything you've achieved etc.

When you're selling yourself, make the focus on what you've done for the company, not what you are. Saying "I'm really good at..." doesn't work as well as "my ability/work/efforts in X has contributed Y to the company." Basically you need to prove your value.

Do your prep. Essentially create a report on yourself. Show how you've exceeded in your duties, contributed to the company, grown since you started, expanded the role capabilities etc. You should also decide what salary you want/deserve. Don't say "I want a pay rise" as they'll give you something piddly like 1%. Say "I'd like to discuss my pay. Based on my performance/ability I feel I deserve £x (maybe add a grand or two as they'll probably negotiate)". Then go into the aforementioned stuff on everything you've achieved etc.

When you're selling yourself, make the focus on what you've done for the company, not what you are. Saying "I'm really good at..." doesn't work as well as "my ability/work/efforts in X has contributed Y to the company." Basically you need to prove your value.

Problem with my job is that I have no targets or requirements, no real role description, so I don't really have anything to compare my work or progress to. I just know that without me, they wouldn't have any videos, which would mean no money coming in. :P

This is why I find it hard to write an email, I can't say "I've improved this" or "I have done that"... I just create the videos we make and that's it. :/

I also can't compare my wages to other people as I wouldn't know where to look for that (if anyone knows the wages of whiteboard animators, feel free to let me know haha!).

Just state that you've been looking at the market and you've come to the conclusion that you're due for a payrise, state that at this point, due to the time and effort (aka lack of sick days and overtime) you believe you deserve a payrise.

I wouldn't threaten to leave in a blunt way but make it clear that you've noticed that other opportunities are out there and are willing to pay more (I would bet my ass you'd be doing similar to animators/video editors who CAN earn quite a bit of money).

I wouldn't go into an essay as likely the smug bastard won't read it. Keep it simple, you've looked at the market for similar jobs and you believe a payrise is due and that you'd like to request it.

If the guy answers with a no, you know you need to get another job. El pronto. I can bet my ass if that happens he'll be giving you your money ;) (after all how is he to double his earnings if you leave!)

Just state that you've been looking at the market and you've come to the conclusion that you're due for a payrise, state that at this point, due to the time and effort (aka lack of sick days and overtime) you believe you deserve a payrise.

I wouldn't threaten to leave in a blunt way but make it clear that you've noticed that other opportunities are out there and are willing to pay more (I would bet my ass you'd be doing similar to animators/video editors who CAN earn quite a bit of money).

I wouldn't go into an essay as likely the smug bastard won't read it. Keep it simple, you've looked at the market for similar jobs and you believe a payrise is due and that you'd like to request it.

If the guy answers with a no, you know you need to get another job. El pronto. I can bet my ass if that happens he'll be giving you your money ;) (after all how is he to double his earnings if you leave!)

The problem is that there are no similar jobs around, at all. :P

The closest ones I can find are things like graphic designers, which is still quite different... And most jobs don't mention how much the salary would be.

But yeah I think I should earn at least £20,000 (I'm on £18,750 now), but not sure they would give me that.

Also, I'd love to actually start doing this on my own, but my contract states I'm not allowed to have a similar job for 1 year after leaving my position, so it's a tough one.

I'm kjbda sick of my job, or should I say sick of the company. Working in a regulated monopoly environment where about half (no exaggeration) of employees are contractors or consultants, grads who've never worked in a decent company, and senior management who are all rejects from British Gas who are looking for a gravy train ride to retirement. Trouble is I've been here 11 months, and my last job was 10 months, so if I move again I'll look w bit suspect (and I'm hoping to emigrate within a year so that'll be a 3rd short employment).

I'd like to become a contractor (#hypocrite) but those jobs are fewer and usually require an immediate start. I did have a Skype interview today, but it would add 2 hours onto my day factoring in commute. Also when they first advertised the roles, to when they out me through they'd changed the title slightly and dropped the salary by 5k. I told them I wouldn't move for less than an £8k increase over my current salary. I am definitely worth that if I was prepared to move, even more if I moved to London.

Not sure what to do. Just wanted somewhere to spill my guts.

I'd like to become a contractor (#hypocrite) but those jobs are fewer and usually require an immediate start. I did have a Skype interview today, but it would add 2 hours onto my day factoring in commute. Also when they first advertised the roles, to when they out me through they'd changed the title slightly and dropped the salary by 5k. I told them I wouldn't move for less than an £8k increase over my current salary. I am definitely worth that if I was prepared to move, even more if I moved to London.

Not sure what to do. Just wanted somewhere to spill my guts.

Contracting is the way forward. Most of them state they need immediate available but that's generally rubbish as pre-employment screening always takes a few weeks plus multiple interviews usually adds up to over a month. At least in my line of work in financial services.

What is it you do again?

My job is finally moving into the city centre :D it's something I thought we've needed for a really long time. Commute is going to switch to public transport probably but it's going to be so positive for us. And all the different places I'll be able to eat at lunch time! :D

I really miss working in the city centre. My last job in particular was middle of nowhere (strange for a bank the size of RBS) but had a great on site restaurant. The new one has a few small places around and then a shopping centre 15 minutes walk away.

Centre of Glasgow was so good for the previous 2 years. So many places to go for lunch.

Contracting is the way forward. Most of them state they need immediate available but that's generally rubbish as pre-employment screening always takes a few weeks plus multiple interviews usually adds up to over a month. At least in my line of work in financial services.

What is it you do again?

I work in marketing analytics/data science.

Yeah I'll just go for then even if they say immediate start.

My job is finally moving into the city centre :D it's something I thought we've needed for a really long time. Commute is going to switch to public transport probably but it's going to be so positive for us. And all the different places I'll be able to eat at lunch time! :D

Changing jobs meant I was back in Bloomsbury rather than sodding Mile End and now have all the food options in front of me, including Planet Organic which is bae.

I work in the middle of a small town in an old converted mill. There is a Co-op near by. It's basically dead. I love it.

Oooh where abouts in Sheffield will it be?

When you say "City Centre" you do mean Sheffield right. I recall you saying that your furrent work place is in Rotherham? I could have made that up though.

Finally got round sorting out my work setup. Have a laptop that plugs into dual monitors and would always shut the laptop as the display settings were weird but fixed it so now I have three monitors.

The laptop one is obviously being used for YouTube because I have nothing to do today.

My old project was based in St Paul's and the lunch options were spectacular. So much choice. I would also buy a ridiculous amount of half price Itsu whenever I worked late.

Current project is in West London and the food options aren't so great. I'm already getting bored of Tesco sandwiches, not sure how I'm going to cope for another six months [/firstworldproblems].