NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Had my interview - got the job. Massive relief. Been waiting for so long! I'm getting paid more, which is nice, but I had to agree to the lowest end of what I wanted. Their argument was that I was going to be paid more than any existing manager, which I understand. Some of them have been there 5 years. So I am now going to work here under this role for 6-12 months and if I don't see a chance for a pay increase (progression will only happen if I invent another job!) I'll look elsewhere. From what I've seen I can earn 50% more with experience under my belt, so that's the best bet.

So I no longer have to speak to anyone on the phone! No more clients. No more stupid shit. From now on I am responsible for ensuring our company is compliant. I have been given a wide remit for looking at all areas of business, and the first part of my job is to actually DEFINE my job! I get to set out my weekly/monthly reports. The great thing is that I can spend the next month saying that I'm researching what my reports should be. I also haggled an extra day's worth of holiday... based on how quickly they said that would be a possibility I wish I asked for more!

Seriously pleased. I've worked my arse off for ages. I was first told about a promotion 12 months ago but that promotion wouldn't have been as good as this one. I'm a manager, yet I don't have to manage people. Other mangers have to report to me yet I only report to the general manager and MD... So. Much. Hard. Work. It has paid off! My employers have recognised and appreciated me and I am able to catch up with the other 28 year olds I know, now that I can afford it (in brighton!). The payrise means I can actually consider a mortgage next year...

Oh man. yeah. Just.. woo! it worked! My 5 year plan is working!

Yay! So pleased. Good job sir :yay:

I tend to use http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/ for income thingies, as it has calculators from different angles and can account for NI, loan, pension, other deductions etcetc (not that many of them even apply to me)

Yeah this website is awesome. Shows exactly what you'll take home each pay cheque.

Had my interview - got the job. Massive relief. Been waiting for so long! I'm getting paid more, which is nice, but I had to agree to the lowest end of what I wanted. Their argument was that I was going to be paid more than any existing manager, which I understand. Some of them have been there 5 years. So I am now going to work here under this role for 6-12 months and if I don't see a chance for a pay increase (progression will only happen if I invent another job!) I'll look elsewhere. From what I've seen I can earn 50% more with experience under my belt, so that's the best bet.

So I no longer have to speak to anyone on the phone! No more clients. No more stupid shit. From now on I am responsible for ensuring our company is compliant. I have been given a wide remit for looking at all areas of business, and the first part of my job is to actually DEFINE my job! I get to set out my weekly/monthly reports. The great thing is that I can spend the next month saying that I'm researching what my reports should be. I also haggled an extra day's worth of holiday... based on how quickly they said that would be a possibility I wish I asked for more!

Seriously pleased. I've worked my arse off for ages. I was first told about a promotion 12 months ago but that promotion wouldn't have been as good as this one. I'm a manager, yet I don't have to manage people. Other mangers have to report to me yet I only report to the general manager and MD... So. Much. Hard. Work. It has paid off! My employers have recognised and appreciated me and I am able to catch up with the other 28 year olds I know, now that I can afford it (in brighton!). The payrise means I can actually consider a mortgage next year...

Oh man. yeah. Just.. woo! it worked! My 5 year plan is working!

CONGRATS!

Trying to decide whether to take this new job or not. They initially came in and offered 40, then went to 42 and now 45. There's up to 20% bonus scheme available, 5% pension match + 1000 'points' worth of other benefits.

I did all the maths and it would work out as a little bit less than I'm on at the moment even including the 20% bonus and 5% pension match. However, it's going from contract to perm so there is far more security and they said I can define my role and there is room to grow in the company.

However, I'm starting up a new business right now (Roam Camping - seen it yet?) and my plan has always been to leave work to run this full time in a few months. The bonus is paid July 1st so I would miss it this year meaning I would need to stay for over a year to get it.

Really don't know what to do, if I didn't have the business I would definitely go for it. With the business... where I am right now I can work on my own thing a bit during the day, flexible working from home arrangements when needed and I can essentially come and go when I want as long as everything ets done and I don't take the piss.

This week I watched a grown man shoplift a hot n' greasy bacon & cheese turnover by stuffing it down the front of his trousers.

It's all high-flying in the retail sector.

This week I watched a grown man shoplift a hot n' greasy bacon & cheese turnover by stuffing it down the front of his trousers.

It's all high-flying in the retail sector.

Ok, let's get to the important details:

Did it burn him?

Did it look like he pissed himself?

My new aim is to earn more than charlie :P

(5 year plan)

Damn, how much are you earning now? ./rude

I think I might have to look for another job. :(

Current job is still having lots of issues... We are still waiting for half of our pay from last month, and next pay day is only 9 days away. We just don't seem to have enough cash flow in the company, not enough projects going on that pay enough. The bosses kind of tried to blame the other two guys recently, saying that because they don't do enough work, there is not enough money. Which is very unfair as there just aren't any projects coming in so they don't really have anything to work on...

I am trying to write an email to address some issues to our bosses, but it is quite awkward as we all work in the same room (there is just 4 of us, plus one more boss but she stays home to take care of the kids) and one of the employees knows them personally as well. :S

We have tried to raise issues before, but there is always some excuse. I understand that they don't have money and can't pay their own bills, but that shouldn't be my issue...

Not sure how to word this email, urgh. Need to raise the lack of payment, not receiving our payslips, we need to get our P60... I don't know if they are required to offer a pension scheme as well but might just leave that out for now.

Stresssssss. I love my job itself but this is just getting ridiculous now. Why can't I just have a nice job that I like and that pays well (on time). :(

Still thinking I should start freelancing, but have no clue where to start with everything (especially legal stuff) and it honestly just scares me.

My new aim is to earn more than charlie :P

(5 year plan)

More than Charlie currently earns or more than Charlie earns in 5 years?

Besides Charlie was quoting figures in Scottish pounds. I'm not quite sure of the exchange rate but I think he's on less than minimum wage.

I think I might have to look for another job. :(

Current job is still having lots of issues... We are still waiting for half of our pay from last month, and next pay day is only 9 days away. We just don't seem to have enough cash flow in the company, not enough projects going on that pay enough. The bosses kind of tried to blame the other two guys recently, saying that because they don't do enough work, there is not enough money. Which is very unfair as there just aren't any projects coming in so they don't really have anything to work on...

I am trying to write an email to address some issues to our bosses, but it is quite awkward as we all work in the same room (there is just 4 of us, plus one more boss but she stays home to take care of the kids) and one of the employees knows them personally as well. :S

We have tried to raise issues before, but there is always some excuse. I understand that they don't have money and can't pay their own bills, but that shouldn't be my issue...

Not sure how to word this email, urgh. Need to raise the lack of payment, not receiving our payslips, we need to get our P60... I don't know if they are required to offer a pension scheme as well but might just leave that out for now.

Stresssssss. I love my job itself but this is just getting ridiculous now. Why can't I just have a nice job that I like and that pays well (on time). :(

Still thinking I should start freelancing, but have no clue where to start with everything (especially legal stuff) and it honestly just scares me.

First thing: I'm sorry to hear that Eenuh, it sucks majorly when you know a project/company isn't working. (I was like this last year).

As for the email. Simply write you're concerned about the company due to the pay and then list bullet points as to why. It'll keep it as fact and allow you to get everything down you want to without waffling. :)

(As for freelancing, try it! There's no harm in at least having a look online for information. It mostly seems to consist of the same hints and tips, but there is information about paying taxes etc as a freelancer on the .gov website :))

More than Charlie currently earns or more than Charlie earns in 5 years?

Besides Charlie was quoting figures in Scottish pounds. I'm not quite sure of the exchange rate but I think he's on less than minimum wage.

I was actually read to pack up shop and move to London if there was a Yes vote back in September.

All go around here!

We have the "Mini-Talk Show" today - basically the pupils present a ppt made by their parents on the theme of "What do you want to be when you grow up?". Nice enough topic, lots of variety. From 60 pupils in two classes I needed to whittle it down to four from each. Tough task, given that everyone put in a really great effort (bar one who has ADD).

So I get the eight finalist sorted: I've differentiated by outcome rather than chosen the out-and-out stars. That is to say, I've chosen the pupils who did a great job who normally struggle rather than the pupils who ALWAYS do amazing. Seriously, if I just picked those guys every time, no-one else would get a chance. It would just be the same five pupils over and over again. Besides, this is what the department head told me to do.

So it's all fine... except with one parent, who is also a teacher at the school. She got her son to recite a wall of text and the ppt was not outstanding. He did a good job, but nobody was "wowed". She came into the class without asking permission, without saying a word and filmed him and a few of the others, then walked out without any acknowledgement. He wasn't chosen as a finalist. Can she accept it? Nope.

First she gets a look at the marks I gave out (shouldn't happen) then gets the class english teacher to hassle me out of hours as to why her son didn't get selected. Doesn't say a word to me personally at all. Then she gets on at the coordinator "Look at this video! His teacher only gave him a B!". Fortunately the coordinator isn't having any of it. After this, she gets one of the star pupils in my class to ask me "Why didn't people like me and (teacher's son) get chosen?". Sneaky B, but no luck there. So she then goes to the headteacher, who also expresses no interest. Everyone is on my side over this issue, but the teacher/parent has not been made to apologise or had any kind of disciplinary action for the anxiety she caused me, or even the attempt to abuse her power. The headteacher expressed her support for me, but again, no action was taken.

It seems that people in this school get ahead by being shit to everyone else. Maybe that's a tack that I should take.

Okay, I need help:

I'm applying for a job and the application has the following question:

'Experience of negotiating in-kind contributions from internal and external partners for joint events'

Can someone explain what the hell that means?

Okay, I need help:

'Experience of negotiating in-kind contributions from internal and external partners for joint events'

Just put "Yes, I've totally done that."

Okay, I need help:

Simply put: Getting money off people.

One of the firms I applied to at first sent me a "prospect" for a junior caseworker role. I say prospect because it didn't seem like an outright offer of a position, but it didn't mention an interview either. I replied saying that I was already doing work experience which may last 6 weeks (now about 4 [but I think I might cut that short as they know I'm looking for a permanent position]), the two weeks notice for Tesco (it would be one week but we've all claimed for a bonus which effectively ties us to working there until we get it.)

They responded saying that they were interviewing this week so the position would probably be filled by that time. I thought I'd bite the bullet and just cut to the Tesco notice moment, they said they were hoping to have it filled by the end of this week, but would keep details on file etc etc... I thought that was the end of it. This all took place Tuesday/Wednesday.

I get an email on my home yesterday: "Further to our recent emails, I have spoken again to..., head of our Residential Property team, and he has asked if you are able to attend for interview.", which has inflated my ego no end. They technically offered me the position, then booked full of interviews, yet managed to make room for me next week. I'm really trying not to let this go to my head too much though.

So anuses crossed for Monday!

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Okay, I need help:

Either asking for monetary contributions for people or asking for things that can be raffled/auctioned off. I.e. a haircut from a salon.

I get an email on my home yesterday: "Further to our recent emails, I have spoken again to..., head of our Residential Property team, and he has asked if you are able to attend for interview.", which has inflated my ego no end. They technically offered me the position, then booked full of interviews, yet managed to make room for me next week. I'm really trying not to let this go to my head too much though.

Sounds like they didn't like any of the people they interviewed this week then!

Not just anuses! :D

Yeah this website is awesome. Shows exactly what you'll take home each pay cheque.

CONGRATS!

Trying to decide whether to take this new job or not. They initially came in and offered 40, then went to 42 and now 45. There's up to 20% bonus scheme available, 5% pension match + 1000 'points' worth of other benefits.

I did all the maths and it would work out as a little bit less than I'm on at the moment even including the 20% bonus and 5% pension match. However, it's going from contract to perm so there is far more security and they said I can define my role and there is room to grow in the company.

However, I'm starting up a new business right now (Roam Camping - seen it yet?) and my plan has always been to leave work to run this full time in a few months. The bonus is paid July 1st so I would miss it this year meaning I would need to stay for over a year to get it.

Really don't know what to do, if I didn't have the business I would definitely go for it. With the business... where I am right now I can work on my own thing a bit during the day, flexible working from home arrangements when needed and I can essentially come and go when I want as long as everything ets done and I don't take the piss.

That's awesome dude, good luck. Really like the site as well. On the about page there is a small mistake, the third word of the third paragraph should be "tested" rather than "test". For this reason, I'm out.

On my work situation - my manager (best manager I've ever had, nice, caring, understanding, trustworthy, competent) is retiring, which sucks.

And I need to wait to speak to head of department when she gets back from holiday to see where the fuck I fit in in the new world. The promotion roles are shit, but I deserve one and have so much more to offer than 99% of my in-department colleagues that I seem wasted anywhere and....ugh.

I think I mentioned about that cunt that lied to me - she's blatantly going to get one of the promotion roles, and I cannot express how much that irritates me. (Her attitude in the job, professionally is abysmal, let alone her actual personality). So weird how life isn't fair.

FRUK isn't making enough money for it to be my job yet. As in....it's.....1.6% of the way there ish.

FMLz.

I think I mentioned about that cunt that lied to me - she's blatantly going to get one of the promotion roles, and I cannot express how much that irritates me. (Her attitude in the job, professionally is abysmal, let alone her actual personality). So weird how life isn't fair.

Laxatives in drink. Just before interview/similar talk with managers.

It seems that people in this school get ahead by being shit to everyone else. Maybe that's a tack that I should take.

No please don't. You have morals whereas the other teacher/parent clearly doesn't.

Sounds like they didn't like any of the people they interviewed this week then!

That's kinda what I'm getting from it. But like I said, trying not to get my hopes up let that go to my head.

This is the closest place I can think to put this and it does impact upon work so nyeh!

I somewhat angrily applied for a MA a while ago after a shitty day at work. I then preceded to apply for several! I'm now trying to decide what to do about them. They're all Games Design-esque and there's three choices:

Choice 1

I like the college and it's part of my former university (several colleges making up one uni, but this is a different college within it) and I like the general artsy vibe of it all (even if whimsical moustaches are the flavour du jour).

I went to an open evening yesterday and I like the idea that you have access to everything within the building and you can use it as much as you want, which includes letterpress, screen printing, lots of other stuff like that and a 3D printer. However I'm conscious that over the space of a one-year Masters I might be too busy to actually take advantage of it.

It's also new this year, so there's going to be teething issues and the cohort is going to be small (good and bad). They seem to have strong industry links though, as they've been running a BA in this for years.

It's full-time for fifteen months though, so I'd need to give up work (or maybe find a weekend job, but the thought of that makes me cringe).

Choice 2

Course content seems good and its part-time, studying for two (separate) weeks per term. As such with annual leave, unpaid leave and study leave I can probably fit it in around work, although how much I'd want to remains to be seen. Worse comes to worse I could see how it goes and maybe leave work/try and find something part-time.

It's technically the cheapest option, but by the time you factor in the cost of travelling there it brings it closer in line with the others (although still cheaper overall). Travel would take about an hour.

There's an open evening next month that I'm going to go along to. I went to the campus yesterday, but there was nobody to really talk to or do anything.

Choice 3

Course content seems similar to option 2 and likewise is part-time, but instead it's one day per week. This would probably be easier to fit in with work.

However, it's the furtherest away (would take about 1:20 to get there) and would ultimately end up being the most expensive.

I'm less inclined to go for this one, in part because the course itself doesn't stand out enough to justify the extra journey and also they want a decision by next week and a non-refundable deposit paid.

Comparing them

I think ultimately it comes down to a choice in lifestyle.

The first option would give me a more arty-academic "let's explore our ideas!" kind of lifestyle, but it would come at the expense of the financial comfort I have now (and somewhat will have with the others as I could fit work around them). I do have some savings and did contemplate deferring the application for a year so I can save to cover the tuition fees, but my cost of living (just rent and bills alone) is still much more than that. I could feasibly do it, but I'm worried I'll come out of it and be in a position whereby I need to find some work to keep living and I'll end up where I am now (that's what happened after my last masters).

The other two allow me to continue to not feel like a student financially. I'm at a point in my life whereby I don't really have to worry too much about money and that's nice. I kind of want to continue not having to obsessively check how much money I've got. Obviously the trade off would be I'd have less free/personal time as working and doing this would be a lot, but not sure which is the better route...

I don't think work would let me go part-time in my current role (as I'm a manager and it seems a bit unfair). I kind of want to propose a one-year part-time project to them and essentially hiring me as a 'contractor' for it, but I doubt anyone would be willing to cough up the money and instead rely on existing staff doing it because someone has to (basically they completely changed academic regs in 13/14 and thus they needed to be re-setup in the system and I've been doing it on a year-by-year basis but the project would be to finish that off, document it and then do it all again as in 15/16 they're changing them all over again, as well as train the people that should be doing this, but that's a whole political thing as is whose responsibility this is and thus who would pay the salary).

And then of course there's the part of me that doubts whether I really want to do this, or if I just know I want to leave work (or be working towards leaving it) and I'm clutching at something. While I enjoyed my last masters, I did essentially come out of it thinking "well that was nice, I enjoyed it and I met some great and inspiring people, but it's not for me". I don't want to be in my 30s (which I will be when I finish any of these) and be in the same position.

I wish careers were like modules at uni and you could just try a load out...while still getting a steady pay cheque.

So yeah, someone figure out my life for me please?

This is the closest place I can think to put this and it does impact upon work so nyeh!

I somewhat angrily applied for a MA a while ago after a shitty day at work. I then preceded to apply for several! I'm now trying to decide what to do about them. They're all Games Design-esque and there's three choices:

Choice 1

I like the college and it's part of my former university (several colleges making up one uni, but this is a different college within it) and I like the general artsy vibe of it all (even if whimsical moustaches are the flavour du jour).

I went to an open evening yesterday and I like the idea that you have access to everything within the building and you can use it as much as you want, which includes letterpress, screen printing, lots of other stuff like that and a 3D printer. However I'm conscious that over the space of a one-year Masters I might be too busy to actually take advantage of it.

It's also new this year, so there's going to be teething issues and the cohort is going to be small (good and bad). They seem to have strong industry links though, as they've been running a BA in this for years.

It's full-time for fifteen months though, so I'd need to give up work (or maybe find a weekend job, but the thought of that makes me cringe).

Choice 2

Course content seems good and its part-time, studying for two (separate) weeks per term. As such with annual leave, unpaid leave and study leave I can probably fit it in around work, although how much I'd want to remains to be seen. Worse comes to worse I could see how it goes and maybe leave work/try and find something part-time.

It's technically the cheapest option, but by the time you factor in the cost of travelling there it brings it closer in line with the others (although still cheaper overall). Travel would take about an hour.

There's an open evening next month that I'm going to go along to. I went to the campus yesterday, but there was nobody to really talk to or do anything.

Choice 3

Course content seems similar to option 2 and likewise is part-time, but instead it's one day per week. This would probably be easier to fit in with work.

However, it's the furtherest away (would take about 1:20 to get there) and would ultimately end up being the most expensive.

I'm less inclined to go for this one, in part because the course itself doesn't stand out enough to justify the extra journey and also they want a decision by next week and a non-refundable deposit paid.

Comparing them

I think ultimately it comes down to a choice in lifestyle.

The first option would give me a more arty-academic "let's explore our ideas!" kind of lifestyle, but it would come at the expense of the financial comfort I have now (and somewhat will have with the others as I could fit work around them). I do have some savings and did contemplate deferring the application for a year so I can save to cover the tuition fees, but my cost of living (just rent and bills alone) is still much more than that. I could feasibly do it, but I'm worried I'll come out of it and be in a position whereby I need to find some work to keep living and I'll end up where I am now (that's what happened after my last masters).

The other two allow me to continue to not feel like a student financially. I'm at a point in my life whereby I don't really have to worry too much about money and that's nice. I kind of want to continue not having to obsessively check how much money I've got. Obviously the trade off would be I'd have less free/personal time as working and doing this would be a lot, but not sure which is the better route...

I don't think work would let me go part-time in my current role (as I'm a manager and it seems a bit unfair). I kind of want to propose a one-year part-time project to them and essentially hiring me as a 'contractor' for it, but I doubt anyone would be willing to cough up the money and instead rely on existing staff doing it because someone has to (basically they completely changed academic regs in 13/14 and thus they needed to be re-setup in the system and I've been doing it on a year-by-year basis but the project would be to finish that off, document it and then do it all again as in 15/16 they're changing them all over again, as well as train the people that should be doing this, but that's a whole political thing as is whose responsibility this is and thus who would pay the salary).

And then of course there's the part of me that doubts whether I really want to do this, or if I just know I want to leave work (or be working towards leaving it) and I'm clutching at something. While I enjoyed my last masters, I did essentially come out of it thinking "well that was nice, I enjoyed it and I met some great and inspiring people, but it's not for me". I don't want to be in my 30s (which I will be when I finish any of these) and be in the same position.

I wish careers were like modules at uni and you could just try a load out...while still getting a steady pay cheque.

So yeah, someone figure out my life for me please?

Surley the first step would be asking your current employers if you could go part time/take unpaid leave to study? With the cost of hiring I'd imagine they'd want to keep you on. Especially if you explain it would only be for the year.

And if they say no then you have some more information to inform your decision.

I personally wouldn't try and fit a part time course alongside full time employment. I think you'll discover you have a lot less free time than you realised, and you'll be too tired/stressed/overworked to fully appreciate and get the most out of your study.

Surley the first step would be asking your current employers if you could go part time/take unpaid leave to study? With the cost of hiring I'd imagine they'd want to keep you on. Especially if you explain it would only be for the year.

And if they say no then you have some more information to inform your decision.

I personally wouldn't try and fit a part time course alongside full time employment. I think you'll discover you have a lot less free time than you realised, and you'll be too tired/stressed/overworked to fully appreciate and get the most out of your study.

I'm already pretty sure they won't let me go part-time, not in my current role. I'm sure they'd want to keep me on in some capacity, but it depends on if a role is available. Taking unpaid study leave would benefit neither of us (I don't want to study then come back to the same role).

I will talk to my boss at some point, but I won't see her again until June (I'm currently off, she's off next week). I kind of want to know better what I want to do first though. They've already let me go part-time before and I'm starting to think I might be pushing my luck if I keep jerking them around. If I can say "this is what I'm doing, if you want to try and work around it great but if not I'll leave" (but in a less threatening way) I'd prefer that.

There would be no cost in hiring a replacement*. They won't recruit from outside and in any time whereby there would be nobody in my role (which could be up to three months as people on my grade and the one below have a three month notice period) they'd just consider it a saving.

I am more inclined to try a part-time course alongside part-time work and just essentially quit my current role and see where the chips fall. I'd like to think I've built up enough good will across the college that somebody would be willing to hire me and I know my current department would want to keep me on, but the money might not be there.

I'm going to talk to a colleague next week who has always filled the pastoral care role I need! I'm just currently trying to get my head around things.

*obviously there's a cost in people being busy with interviews and all that, but it's just a cost of time rather than money and let's face it they only care about financial costs

Wow. My boss just offered me a master in IT from IT University in Copenhagen. It will be a 2.5 year's program that will end up giving me a(nother) Master's Degree. Completely free, but any time spent on it is free time, meaning that I have a full time job (37 hours a week here in Denmark) and a half time university study on the side. From others I've heard that it will amount to probably 15 hours a week at most, so it's quite demanding on my spare time. Also, and this is the reason for turning the offer down (if I do that), my girlfriend and I have started the talk: marriage, baby, all that. She is just now finishing her university studies, becoming a medical doctor in two weeks and starting up her first job in two months. So the timing is both great and horrible. I know that it might be available again in a couple of years but then there will definitely be children and that would complicate stuff as well.

I genuinely don't know what to do but I'm extremely flattered by getting the offer!

Edited by MindFreak

That's awesome @MindFreak!

I've just been offered a job interview! It's for a Graduate Scheme with Deloitte (Risk Consulting).

Better start cramming...