NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

What age group are you teaching? I bumped into my friend in Sainsbury's yesterday and was pretty much having the exact conversation with her. She's only been teaching for a year or two iirc(tho previous assistant experience+in japan+pgce etc) but she's really starting to get fed up with the job - only it isn't the actual job itself per se but all the bullshit and politics that go around it and, namely, some of the things parents come to her with!! She's thinking about jacking it and going supply only, but is really torn between the love of the actual teaching of the kids and that part of things, and the crap side of things. For myself I can't say it's the same but I had similar dilemmas in terms of working full-time on the wards in that I didn't actually mind the patients of the problems they posed sometimes so much, but rather the way it's dealt with and all the politics that arises within the whole team and environment as a result of the stresses of it. It seems to be an inevitability of the job almost everywhere though.

I teach year 5 and it's my favourite year group. The problem and joy with the job is that it's entirely unpredictable. You have absolutely no idea how good or bad a day will go because there's too many variables. Parents can be a pain in the arse, maaaaan. However, I've seen them at their best points too, so it's not entirely bad.

There's a lot to be said for supply teaching. I did a year of it and it's nice because you just get to do the fun part of teaching....teaching! You go in, you teach, you leave. Sometimes you have to mark, but it's not too terrible. The downside is that you can literally end up anywhere and there's no real job security. You could be needed for two jobs one day and nothing the next, unless you've got a contract with a school or something.

I've got some good friends from uni who graduated the same time as me and some of them are looking for a way to get out of teaching already. It's sad how the wrong school or location can drive you out. On the whole, I love the job around 95% out of the time, but that 5% can be soul destroying.

Almost everything in a child comes down to the parents. I taught kids swimming for 5 years (obviously a huge difference only seeing them for 30 minutes a week than 6 hours a day) but for almost every single 'problem' child I taught the moment I spoke to their parents I could see where it came from.

You're definitely annoyed at the parents!

Fuck me, I've got so many stories about parents you would shit through your eyeballs.

We've found out about the re-shuffle in our department. I don't know how to feel about it.

On the one hand....there are some better paid new roles that have been created....but I don't really like the sound of any of them. Also, the difficulty is, basically there are 9 "high paid" roles, and then the rest are just normal/as I'm on at the moment. One of the main criticisms in the job is lack of area for progression.

Six of these 9 roles are already taken. I mean, they of course said that everything is up for grabs, but then afterwards (outside the meeting) said that any persona already on a "high paid" role, will maintain that - and of course, I'd expect that. So that means really there are only 3 new roles. And there are about 4 or 5 people that have been there a good long time, and with good skills.

One of the people I work with is evil. Literally the most manipulative little bitch I've ever encountered. She said when we found out ; (to me) ; "Michael, you should definitely go for X job". "Oh really? I though X Person would go for X Job" "No, she's going for Y job" "Oh okay, cheers".

Turns out X Person has precisely zero interest in Y job and is going for X Job (which, she will definitely get. The role is essentially written for her). So she was just wanting me to not go for the job she wants. Its irritating because no managers/people in power realise what a cunt she is.

Ugh. Basically all this annoyance, uncertainty and the way they have gone about delivering the news, and how everyone has to apply for what they want as a free-for-all, coupled with the fact that my AMAZING manager is retiring AND that I was COMPLETELY mugged off earlier in the week AND on top of all that we got told we aren't having a bonus....it has made my motivation drop to complete zero.

Might apply for a marketing job in the same building (different company).

Still so hacked off that I got cunted on the marketing job. So fishy. Everyones been coming up to me about it. Serious shit going down in the company. I 100% want out now. Job market is tough though, which is fucking annoying. I just absolutely have no interest in the company now, I want their posion out of my life.

I know everyone says this, (and in a lot of cases it's obviously true) but my talents are SO wasted there. It's mind boggling.

Can't FRUK be my job yet? :(

One of the people I work with is evil. Literally the most manipulative little bitch I've ever encountered. She said when we found out ; (to me) ; "Michael, you should definitely go for X job". "Oh really? I though X Person would go for X Job" "No, she's going for Y job" "Oh okay, cheers".

Turns out X Person has precisely zero interest in Y job and is going for X Job (which, she will definitely get. The role is essentially written for her). So she was just wanting me to not go for the job she wants. Its irritating because no managers/people in power realise what a cunt she is.

Laxatives in the tea time? Knock 'er down a peg?

I saw that you got your legal secretary qualifications from CILEx. Well done'

I wouldn't get your hopes too high with legal recruiters. From a candidate point of view I have found them in the past to be a complete waste of time. As you will know recruitment consultants are essentially sales people. They will forward CVs that they consider are more likely to obtain an interview. Unfortunately in the legal secretary world experience is far more important than qualifications.

For my current lawyer role I applied to a legal recruiter but my CV didnt get put forward. I applied directly to the law firm and not only got offered an interview but the job.I would focus your energy applying directly to law firms.

Without experience it may be difficult albeit not impossible. You need to get your foot in the door at a law firm. If this is a crappy admin position then so be it.

Sent out a shitload of CV's/cover letters yesterday directly to firms. Got an email from one firm (John Hooper) asking me to ring them. Did so and John Hooper asked me to down to the offices tomorrow so they can see what I can do. They asked me to come in at half 8 but since I'm working I managed to get it pushed back to 11.15.

Excited, but not trying to get my hopes up as well. Mainly because I'll probably have to start work earlier so I can finish earlier so I can make myself look more presentable than a Tesco uniform.

Any idea what they'll try and get me to do Blade?

Sent out a shitload of CV's/cover letters yesterday directly to firms. Got an email from one firm (John Hooper) asking me to ring them. Did so and John Hooper asked me to down to the offices tomorrow so they can see what I can do. They asked me to come in at half 8 but since I'm working I managed to get it pushed back to 11.15.

Excited, but not trying to get my hopes up as well. Mainly because I'll probably have to start work earlier so I can finish earlier so I can make myself look more presentable than a Tesco uniform.

Any idea what they'll try and get me to do Blade?

See, didn't take long did it? Applying directly is the way to go rather than recruitment agencies.

They may ask you to type some dictations. Good luck!

Dictations... I "trained" using alt + tab and cntrl + p, a lil different from the normal method (which I think is a pedal) so should be interesting.

Managed to take tomorrow off as a personal day so won't be rushing about, can get a decent lie in, and pr0 suited up.

I got a pay rise and bonus wooo!

On the other hand, I feel a little disheartened by it.

Basically, I helped a friend get a job here about 3 months ago. All peachy, it's great, he's good at the job even if he had little to no experience. Wahey!

My problem is that I found out he lied about how much he was previously on so he ended up being offered more than I was on, with my year(s) experience and all that. My pay rise now means I match him in pay.

I know money isn't everything and that, but to have more experience and to only just match my friend's pay after over a year of working feels a bit shitty. Money is money and I'm glad for the extra 100 or so quid in my pay each month. Did I have to spend that long to match someone who has no experience?

Bah, perhaps I'm whinging over nothing, a pay rise is good..

You should never compare your salary to other people's. It'll only end in tears. As long as you're happy with what you are getting, don't worry about anyone else.

You should never compare your salary to other people's. It'll only end in tears. As long as you're happy with what you are getting, don't worry about anyone else.

Rightfully so.

But alas, I am human and it was my own fault for being in a conversation where it was mentioned.

I'm ok with what I've got, nobody should ever be upset about extra money. But given I'm on a low pay grade already for the work I do and I'm always told in my company the pay reflects experience.

Bah, whatever. If it bugs me, I need to look for a new job - right?

That sucks @ReZourceman, feel for ya as similar experiences have happened to myself in previous jobs i've had.

Anywho, been told i'm needed to go back to where it all began for me in 6-7 weeks. Need to go back to taking calls from irritating, self centred twits who think the world revolves around them. The only good thing about this is, it's not in the call centre part and i can remain at my desk. The bad thing is, it's for 6 weeks. 6 long, grueling weeks of talking to idiots again. Sigh, thought i left that job for good.

In good news, turns out i've got 14 days annual leave to use up between now and the end of June. So i've booked off a week and a 1/2 in July and split the other week at the end of June. Meaning, i take calls for about 4 weeks and not 6. Which is good (i guess). Already have 1/2 of May off to clear some leave (and some of that is on flexi) I'm carrying over 4 days to my new leave allowance, which is the maximum i'm allowed.

Still trying to get out of the calls altogether, see how that goes. However it goes, my leave will remain in place.

I need to find a new job. My current one is alright but not brilliant (I enjoy the designing side but working in a School when you dont particularly like kids....or teachers.....or parents isnt the best!) and if im going to be able to afford to move out at some point then I need a better paying job.

Took a personal day off work for dis legal shizzle. Fate has been kind it seemed for one of their secretaries has just gone off sick, apparently for about six weeks. So I've swooped in pr0 Batman style and helping the current staff ease the workload. Spent 6-7 hours doing some audio typing.

I thought I'd do better. Some of the sound on the tapes wasn't that great in some places but on the good bits I thought my typing would've been a bit quicker. The way sites say you should set your hands for touch typing just doesn't seem to work for me. I find myself not being able to reach everything as good as I normally can (which is placing my hands one key towards the centre).

So, they're saying that they'd like me to help out after work. So (days not with overtime) I'll finish my shift at 11.15. Run home, suit up, and bus my way into town to help out for 5-6ish hours. Plus I'm going to get paid for it. So it's awesome experience action featuring monies. Here's hoping I can hold on to something after it all!

That's awesome murray! You have legit work experience now. Someone owes Blade a beer!

____

... Tomorrow I have my interview for the new job role in which I am the only person who applied for the job. This is because I've basically invented this job and I've been doing it for the last forever months. Salary is 'negotiable' but I know they'll have a figure in mind, and I have a figure in mind... but I'm not very good at holding people hostage. I am literally the only person who can do this job. If they hire someone externally to do it then they'll have to pay MORE than what I would be asking for, plus the external person would have to learn the bespoke systems etc.

But I can't really see myself saying "fuck you, I want more money" and going back to my 'current' job. Bottom line is that if I take this job at whatever pay, I can then be one of those external folk and go for higher-earnings down the line.

My problem is that I found out he lied about how much he was previously on so he ended up being offered more than I was on, with my year(s) experience and all that. My pay rise now means I match him in pay.

Fair play to him. You should always do that. If you can afford to lose the job you're going for you have to negotiate, they expect you to. My first job I started on 18k. A few months later I was offered a position externally for the same amount, I would've taken it as it sounded better. I went to my current job and told them I had been offered much more than I was on and they instantly upped me to 23k, so I stayed.

No way. Always compare yourself to what other people are on in similar positions to you because that's what you should be getting to. It's a 'conspiracy' that companies don't want you to talk to colleagues about how much you're earning because it gives you more power in salary negotiations.

Currently looking at http://www.netsalarycalculator.co.uk/ (does not account for student loan fees or other tax breaks) to see what money I want. Like charlie says, I know what other people in the company earn - and I know what my work is worth versus theirs. I also know that my future job is partly to ensure the commission-based team earn more money. As a consequence I know that I want to ask for x amount because I want to earn more than others will earn as a consequence of my work.

That link also gives you a realistic idea of how much actual money you'd get each month as a consequence of a payrise. Personally, I'm not so bothered about earning an extra £50 a month, and knowing the monthly difference means I can go into my negotions with, hopefully, more reasoning power to demand more pay.

That's awesome murray! You have legit work experience now. Someone owes Blade a beer!

Maybe even a pitcher of beer if it works out alright :P

Need to buy more shirts though.

... Tomorrow I have my interview for the new job role in which I am the only person who applied for the job. This is because I've basically invented this job and I've been doing it for the last forever months. Salary is 'negotiable' but I know they'll have a figure in mind, and I have a figure in mind... but I'm not very good at holding people hostage. I am literally the only person who can do this job. If they hire someone externally to do it then they'll have to pay MORE than what I would be asking for, plus the external person would have to learn the bespoke systems etc.

Sounds like perfect leverage. So long as you don't throw that MORE figure in their face(?) they should be grateful to accept your lower offer + experience + knowledge of the role. I've never done a pay negotiation before, actually got one at the solicitors tomorrow. I have no figure in mind because (with the exception of the work done there) I have minimal experience, so naturally not going to expect a big wage. My main strategy is to ask what an entry level secretary would get, and see if I could get that or a little less. I don't want to push it, this job isn't as unique as yours :P

Congrats @EEVILMURRAY with this job you will be getting some experience that you can use to get other positions further down the line. Sounds like a decent opportunity and didnt really in the grand scheme of things take you long to obtain.

Fair play to him. You should always do that. If you can afford to lose the job you're going for you have to negotiate, they expect you to. My first job I started on 18k. A few months later I was offered a position externally for the same amount, I would've taken it as it sounded better. I went to my current job and told them I had been offered much more than I was on and they instantly upped me to 23k, so I stayed.

No way. Always compare yourself to what other people are on in similar positions to you because that's what you should be getting to. It's a 'conspiracy' that companies don't want you to talk to colleagues about how much you're earning because it gives you more power in salary negotiations.

Oh definitely, I should likely mention that he didn't negotiate, he just lied he was on more than he previously was. But hey it worked for him.

I am far too honest sometimes, I did tell my current company I was earning 17, so to jump to 20 was a big leap for me - at the time. I was ok with that pay for a little while, until about 6-8 months ago, when my pay load went from ok to heavy. To see someone do a lot less than me for more pay has taken it's toll on my attitude.

Which sucks, because I'm good at the job and I've got what I need to survive, but if I had lied, then maybe this year I would have been nearer to my goal of 25 rather than just matching my friend after over a year of working, when he's been here 2 months.

Either way, I seriously doubt this will be the last time it happens! :(

Oh yeah, I agree that negotiations wise, it is useful, I meant in terms of happiness.

Worrying about other people's money just ends up harbouring resentment and anger. There's no need if you are happy and oblivious!

Currently looking at http://www.netsalarycalculator.co.uk/ (does not account for student loan fees or other tax breaks) to see what money I want. Like charlie says, I know what other people in the company earn - and I know what my work is worth versus theirs. I also know that my future job is partly to ensure the commission-based team earn more money. As a consequence I know that I want to ask for x amount because I want to earn more than others will earn as a consequence of my work.

That link also gives you a realistic idea of how much actual money you'd get each month as a consequence of a payrise. Personally, I'm not so bothered about earning an extra £50 a month, and knowing the monthly difference means I can go into my negotions with, hopefully, more reasoning power to demand more pay.

I tend to use http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/ for income thingies, as it has calculators from different angles and can account for NI, loan, pension, other deductions etcetc (not that many of them even apply to me)

Oh yeah, I agree that negotiations wise, it is useful, I meant in terms of happiness.

Worrying about other people's money just ends up harbouring resentment and anger. There's no need if you are happy and oblivious!

Mentality's hard though. I was super chuffed about my bump up, but ever since talking to my boss who said she would have given more if she could have, I can't stop thinking about that a lot. I won't do anything about it because I am still quite happy, but it's hard to shake/forget it.

I tend to use http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/ for income thingies, as it has calculators from different angles and can account for NI, loan, pension, other deductions etcetc (not that many of them even apply to me)

Mentality's hard though. I was super chuffed about my bump up, but ever since talking to my boss who said she would have given more if she could have, I can't stop thinking about that a lot. I won't do anything about it because I am still quite happy, but it's hard to shake/forget it.

That's what I mean, which is why sometimes it's best not to know in the first place.

When I started my current job, I joined at the same time as this other guy. I found out a while later that he was on a higher salary than me, for whatever reason (quite a bit more, like £4000). But I was fine with it, as the amount I was getting was great, and the other guy had a child to worry about, so I thought nothing of it is.

My mistake was letting my family know, and I ended up having loads of arguments with my fiancée and mother, with them telling me that I needed to demand more money, or look for another job etc. But I didn't want that, as I like this job, and the pay is good enough.

Anyway, I did nothing, and last Christmas we had yearly reviews, and they said that they noticed I was on lower pay compared to everyone else and I got brought up to the same level.

I don't know what my point was any more.

Had my interview - got the job. Massive relief. Been waiting for so long! I'm getting paid more, which is nice, but I had to agree to the lowest end of what I wanted. Their argument was that I was going to be paid more than any existing manager, which I understand. Some of them have been there 5 years. So I am now going to work here under this role for 6-12 months and if I don't see a chance for a pay increase (progression will only happen if I invent another job!) I'll look elsewhere. From what I've seen I can earn 50% more with experience under my belt, so that's the best bet.

So I no longer have to speak to anyone on the phone! No more clients. No more stupid shit. From now on I am responsible for ensuring our company is compliant. I have been given a wide remit for looking at all areas of business, and the first part of my job is to actually DEFINE my job! I get to set out my weekly/monthly reports. The great thing is that I can spend the next month saying that I'm researching what my reports should be. I also haggled an extra day's worth of holiday... based on how quickly they said that would be a possibility I wish I asked for more!

Seriously pleased. I've worked my arse off for ages. I was first told about a promotion 12 months ago but that promotion wouldn't have been as good as this one. I'm a manager, yet I don't have to manage people. Other mangers have to report to me yet I only report to the general manager and MD... So. Much. Hard. Work. It has paid off! My employers have recognised and appreciated me and I am able to catch up with the other 28 year olds I know, now that I can afford it (in brighton!). The payrise means I can actually consider a mortgage next year...

Oh man. yeah. Just.. woo! it worked! My 5 year plan is working!

Congrats dude!

(progression will only happen if I invent another job!)

Calling it now.