NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

FINALLY gonna start my new job soon (Friday!) . My DRB has came back! Only thing is, it took so long to come back that the person who was gonna train me is now in south africa? So I'll have to travel to a nearby city to get trained. I was slightly worried but did the journey today and it wasn't so bad!

Mainly though, I'm just excited and... a bit scared to get started :p I'm glad it's happening, just this really long build up is letting me overthink things. I plan to give it my all though, and I keep reminding myself how toxic my last job was, and that this really is 100% the right thing.

So before I get back into work and the real world, I'm gonna have some good nights out. Tonight was one, but after a whole dominoes to myself, I've sobered up quite well. Just gonna listen to my Kpop or Kylie playlist to drift off now.

Edited by Josh64

As I mentioned in the image gallery thread, we have to provide a photo for the new company website. Our photos ended up looking a bit like super heroes, so we ran with the theme, with the page now titles super heroes of design or something.

We now have to come up with a bit of flavour text to go next to our images. We were told it could be anything as long as it wasn't anything offensive etc. Here is mine:

"A family outing to the cinema ended in tragedy for young Luke Stevens. Walking homeward, Luke, his father Thomas and mother Martha accidentally ventured into Banbury's notorious "Papyrus Alley" and were accosted by bad graphic design. Not content to merely to rob the wealthy family, the terrible design shot Dr. Thomas and Martha Stevens dead before fleeing into the darkness. As he knelt beside his parent's bodies, Luke swore to avenge them and all others who had suffered at the hands of bad graphic design. Establishing a secret headquarters in the caves beneath his mansion, Luke became a designer, a Dark Knight to protect Banbury and its citizens from Clipart and Comic Sans."

Stick to the graphics ;)

Today was a killer. Two hours with a bunch of people that give lectures for a living. You'd think they would have the courtesy to let me speak when giving a training session. One would put his hand up before I said anything, ask me about what I was about to explain anyway then proved to tell me why it wouldn't work. It was... difficult.

And why does wearing a white shirt make people say I'm dressing smartly? I wear formal shirts a few times a week, but for some reason the white one gets called smart. To me it's more middle school but okay...

My new job is really really tough. Its a completely different type of selling and I'm used to getting results straight away. Its been 4 weeks out on the road now and I'm having little success. Everyone keeps telling me ill be really good and it will happen because I have the desire etc. But yeah... I'm a little nervous about it at the minute.

I'm doing a shift on reception somewhere on Sunday, I don't know why but I actually find this strangely exciting as something/somewhere new! Basically pocketing £60 for probably sitting on my arse all afternoon too, which helps ;)

Edited by Rummy

First post here for a while, and it's about my job. And yes it's bad again (didn't think i'd ever have to say that).

I'll start with the good news, which is the job i'm "training" to do is 70-30 off and on phones, majority off-phones with occasional phone calls from people making enquiries. The job itself sounds like it will be challenging, interesting and a lot of fun. Sounds good so far.

And now, the bad. This part is really annoying me (and many others). When i say training, it's basically electronic learning. No actual trainers or anything, there are a few people wandering around giving out the days activities (which is all electronic learning packages), with the occasional team activity. Training is 4 weeks long, and in the last 3 weeks we've basically learned nothing about the job. First week was all health and safety stuff, 2nd week was all customer service. We didn't need that week, we've all come from call centres and know all there is to know about customer service.

What we've learned about the job so far is a few hours on being shown the systems, with trainers who love to dodge questions. We need to have an understanding on how the system works, which is more electronic learning. The problem is, as the last 2 weeks have been all nothing to do with the job, they are squashing in all we need to learn about the job into 1 1/2 weeks. 4 weeks training into 1 1/2 weeks is not good. So far, most of us are behind on the schedule because of the sheer volume of stuff to learn. They give us something we need to learn, within minutes being told it's an activity based on that and 3 other pieces of learning we've not learned. Organisation isn't the strongest point, in fact it's non-existant.

I've bought this to the manager, saying i don't believe it's fair and the training is rubbish as we are learning nothing about the job. So far, nothing has been addressed. I've been told i've looked not interested in the training, which as there really isn't a structure to follow how can anyone be interested. As i mentioned, i'm not the only one as out of the 40 or so people training, about 10 are knowledgeable enough to be ready to go live with the job next week.

I'm doing a shift on reception somewhere on Sunday, I don't know why but I actually find this strangely exciting as something/somewhere new! Basically pocketing £60 for probably sitting on my arse all afternoon too, which helps ;)

I used to occasionally end up working the reception when I worked as a porter at the hospital. Thing is, I had absolutely no idea how the phone system worked, so whenever a call came through asking for a particular ward, I would put them on hold, press a few buttons, and the person on the end of the line would go away! No idea whether any of them made it through...

I used to occasionally end up working the reception when I worked as a porter at the hospital. Thing is, I had absolutely no idea how the phone system worked, so whenever a call came through asking for a particular ward, I would put them on hold, press a few buttons, and the person on the end of the line would go away! No idea whether any of them made it through...

Haha, well it's a hospital I'm in so maybe it won't be too different! Apparently fairly super easy, they said just arrive like 10 minutes before the shift start and the lady'll show me what to do before she finishes up her shift. I think I'm clearly a bit bored as I'm rather excited to do something new, plus in a place I don't normally work much.

We're getting a flat screen TV for the office at work. I'm not entirely sure why, but good stuff none the less. I think the official reason is so we can use it for meetings/quickly showing the whole room websites etc.

We're probably going to end up watching Christmas films on it to be honest.

So I've suddenly got an interview tomorrow afternoon and now I'm really stressed. Mainly because I don't know if I really want this or if I should do this because it makes sense. This has all happened really quickly. I'm just going to go in, talk to them, see what the deal is and then take it from there, I guess.

We're getting a flat screen TV for the office at work. I'm not entirely sure why, but good stuff none the less. I think the official reason is so we can use it for meetings/quickly showing the whole room websites etc.

We're probably going to end up watching Christmas films on it to be honest.

We haven't got our TV yet, but we did get a projector. As predicted, we ended up watching Christmas films on it:

2014-10-23152559-2.jpg

We were also called spoilt divas by one of the owners of the company, due to the fact that we always had chocolates in the room, regular pizza orders and new mugs. I also got the impression someone in a different department had said something a bit snarky about it all, but I can't be sure. I think other departments thought the company had been paying for it all, when actually it had been our boss who had been personally paying for the pizza/bringing the chocolates/making the mugs on his mug printer.

So we did the mature thing and said "fuck it", ordered some more pizza and spent the rest of the day acting like spoilt arseholes. Quote of the day IMO was from the boss who yelled across the room "Matthew, I have run out of strawberries and simply can't go on"

One of the owners of the company also came in when we were watching Nigella Lawson's Christmas Special, which probably didn't help things.

Why have you skipped the Halloween themed films and gone straight onto Christmas?

You FIENDS!

Oh we are having a Halloween party next week. We haven't told the other departments though.

Managed to snag myself a 3 month contract with Sony PlayStation! I was working for them as part of an email marketing agency but since leaving that role, they got in touch and offered me a temporary position in the CRM team! Hoping they extend (as they do like working with me) but we'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, will work my arse off and try to impress over the next 3 months.

:D

Meanwhile, at our work the sink exploded. So there's that...

Do tell!

I'm getting a weird deja vu moment when on Come Dine With Me, Peter Stringfellow's sink kinda exploded.

Meanwhile, at our work the sink exploded. So there's that...

Holy...

Although to be fair, my office is bound to go the same way, we've had no sink in the kitchen all this week.

We also spent the morning with no network - so no work, until midday due to another powercut. I fully expect the same thing on Monday. :shakehead

So many people on holiday, off sick or can't come into work due to personal reasons that I've ended up doing double or triple the amount of shifts that I normally do. I don't mind this since I enjoy my job now and have made good friends. But what really annoys me about it is when people just don't turn up for their shift without letting anyone know that they're not coming in.

Today's retail highlights:

• The only other colleague in store had a ligament injury and could barely do anything beyond the till.
  • The man who had to be scanned through multiple times because it wouldn't let him use contactless the first few times and he didn't know his pin number.
  • The woman demanding a refund for obscure international home-phone credit voucher because she sent her 5-year old to get it and he got the wrong one.
  • The man who somehow spilled a sticky toffee pudding on his cheap-shit coat and demanded to know "where to send the bill" + threats and insults!
  • The shoplifter who made off with quite a lot of cheese again.

#venting

Today's retail highlights:

•  
  • The shoplifter who made off with quite a lot of cheese again.

#venting

He, clearly, can haz cheezburger.

Management clearly don't have a clue about anything, especially leave over the Christmas period. Had the usual email come out saying i needed to reconsider my leave. As i'm expected in on Christmas Eve, and have full flexi i'm probably only going to do a 1/2 day anyway.

Also with the work itself, they keep changing their minds on what needs to be done and not tell anyone about it. Then go off on a rant because we haven't done it.