NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

I'm getting a pay rise next month which works out at roughly an 18% increase, bringing me to an actual normal (if still quite low) wage for my skill level. Woo..!

With my job it was always kind of "I don't want to leave, because I quite like what I'm doing and if I go elsewhere, I could wind up unhappy with the people/role. But the pay is not great, so there's no future in it at this rate."

Now I'm kind of balanced out a bit more, which makes me feel more settled going forward.

Glad to hear, I've always felt like you could do great things :) #dontleaveusthough

While this promotion is pretty much mine in the bag, I wish HR would just post it already. Been with them for a week now. Apparently our HR person is off this week and next, but they didn't think to pass it on to anyone.

Well, this is a good work post. Shock Horror, i'm posting a good work post.

For the first time in many months (well, since April 2012) my flexi will be hitting green once again as of 7pm Wednesday (today). Which means, early finishes and 3 free(ish) days off. can be taken once again.

What sites do you guys use to look for new jobs? I'm searching at the moment but I'm not sure of any good ones. What do you all use?

What sites do you guys use to look for new jobs? I'm searching at the moment but I'm not sure of any good ones. What do you all use?

Indeed

Reed

Milkround

Targetjobs

Also upload your CV to Monster. I did that and had two recruiters contact me the next day.

In my opinion, seek out lesser known sites, try:

Job Serve (can't express its awesomeness enough)

CV Library

jobs.ac.uk

In my opinion, seek out lesser known sites, try:

Job Serve (can't express its awesomeness enough)

CV Library

jobs.ac.uk

I found Job Serv brilliant for contractor positions. In Scotland s1jobs is very good

First month complete tomorrow.

Man time flies. I was initially quite hesitant about the job, its a stark contrast to the last three years of work with two companies. But I'm slowly finding my feet. The team is friendly (quite a few are also childfree so it really helps to be on the same level socially as well as work related), I regularly get decent work and I get free food, pizza and tech talks every few weeks (learning new stuff is cool kids).

I'm still not 100% on it, its still not gaming and I miss that. But I'm now earning as much as a senior level position at my previous job, that senior job I was chasing for over a year, that has 6 days a week work, that has overtime every damn day and over 8 managers watching me in a year. Plus y'know being told to go fuck myself every day by my senior QA who I've no qualms saying was the worst person I have ever met in my entire working career since I was 16.

Do I miss my old job any more? Nope. Do I miss gaming? Yes.

But there's no way in hell I'm going back to less pay and 6 day weeks.

Phew!

I used Monster, but from there it depends on how good the recruiters are that contact you.

I've used CV Library, Direct Gov, Gumtree and Indeed to look for jobs. Though the last time I applied for a job, I went in and asked for an application form and I handed it in the next day. It was scary, but it wasn't so bad since I had work experience there before and a lot of them remembered me and wished me well with the application.

I've used CV Library, Direct Gov, Gumtree and Indeed to look for jobs. Though the last time I applied for a job, I went in and asked for an application form and I handed it in the next day. It was scary, but it wasn't so bad since I had work experience there before and a lot of them remembered me and wished me well with the application.

Ha! Old skool!

Reminds me of the good old fashioned days of printing out a bunch of CVs and walking in and out of every store practically begging for work at 16. :)

So we got our news today.

I am not being made redundant, but they can't keep me on the current contract. So they are now moving me onto a temporary contract as a temp QA for Groupon.

What this means is less pay, 4 week trial period and they can get rid of me with just 1 week notice.

I asked them a lot of questions during the meeting in regards to my bonus, another position that might be going and other stuff, and they couldn't really answer anything. Bit useless...

So yeah starting next week I might suddenly be moved to a different team again, won't even get to properly say bye to everyone. =(

@Rummy I did Home care for nine months and then worked in a care home.

Still in care homes now? I assume it's private stuff, right? Curious what kind of care and if you'd ever moving into other areas?

Ha! Old skool!

Reminds me of the good old fashioned days of printing out a bunch of CVs and walking in and out of every store practically begging for work at 16. :)

Yeaaaahhh boii! I did that for Bluewater when I was 17, went round the whole place, applied here and there(and my cunt friends, to whom I gave the idea of going round bluewater and handing out CVs, went without me) - I remember getting called a few days later from the first place(cos it's next to Marks) I gave my CV in to - Game! Obv felt like a top score of a job at the time(and it was, I was on a better hourly than anyone I knew) - but now I hate Game with a passion.

Since then I've technically only ever had one other legal employer, which I guess feels strange when I know so many people who've been through all variety of jobs.

A lot of my clients are normally people living with dementia and the elderly. I'm in still a care home now. I try and keep things as private as possible because they've got big policies on confidentiality.

A lot of my clients are normally people living with dementia and the elderly. I'm in still a care home now. I try and keep things as private as possible because they've got big policies on confidentiality.

I meant private as opposed to NHS :p Though I've yet to come across many NHS-funded care/residential homes. Would you ever move into something more hospital based? I did my first few bits of work in dementia care(ward/hospital based) but I didn't like it much; the fact half of them didn't seem to know where they were kinda bummed me out.

Said farewell to 19 people today in work, whom decided to take the money and leave. Majority of them were people i spoke to and some were friends. After the weeks/months/years i've had with management and the calls, i kind of wish i did the same. It's a shame really. Out of my original team, only 3 of us remain as of May (out of 12 whom started).

Damn, lost my post! I guess I'll have to be blunt;

There's a guy who is moving over to our team on monday, and i've been tasked with training him. He's dating a girl who works as mid-management on another team, and she's best friends with the project lead of that team - the project lead is also the daughter of the guy who owns the whole company. This 'new' guy is also currently a project leader of another thing, and is best mates with two other project leads. In a way, him working for us is a step down, so I'm convinced there's more to it. I think he's here to get a deeper understanding of the processes so that he can go back to his project and kick-start it.

But essentially this is an opportunity for me to work more politics. This guy works close with the MD and they're always chatting, so if I can show him that I'm good then tactically I've got hooks in more fish.

FUN!

I have just found the perfect job for me, a company that is looking for a junior scribe artist/illustrator. Basically someone to help create whiteboard animations. It sounds perfect for me as I can do both illustrations and animations...

The bad thing is that it is only 2.5 days per week. Which means that I would probably not earn enough to pay for the bills as it is only 15k pro-rata. Why why why? ='(

Can't you do it alongside with some PT work to supplement it?

Sounds great for you though!

HR have had the job advert to post since the 18th and still haven't. So bloody useless! GIMME MONEY.

But essentially this is an opportunity for me to work more politics. This guy works close with the MD and they're always chatting, so if I can show him that I'm good then tactically I've got hooks in more fish.

FUN!

Welcome to the real job. It's a little fun though, depending on the environment. There's a lot of politics in the ward work I used to do - though mostly pointless and borne out of frustration I think(there your perogative essentially just becomes to survive it). There's some mild politics of benefit for me in the newer/current job, just getting to know the people who matter that go to meetings and stuff that I go to too, trying to stand out in their minds - never know when it might come in handy one day(potentially thinking about ending up in head office doing quality improvement or something, iono).

I have just found the perfect job for me, a company that is looking for a junior scribe artist/illustrator. Basically someone to help create whiteboard animations. It sounds perfect for me as I can do both illustrations and animations...

The bad thing is that it is only 2.5 days per week. Which means that I would probably not earn enough to pay for the bills as it is only 15k pro-rata. Why why why? ='(

Is there any chance of getting some other part-time work to go alongside it?

Actually talking about that my cousin text me yesterday asking if I'd be interested in doing some part-time work as a data manager at IAPT(Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) - whilst I don't want to leave my current work/job or mug them off; if this is part time enough and possibly flexible I might do it for the extra experience and because it's in IAPT(still considering *maybe* going back down the psych/therapy route at some point, and that is exactly the kind of place to get political!) - choices choices :(

Edited by Rummy

I would have to find some part-time work first of course. =P

But it would be an option if the hours etc. work out. The thing is they also have a position going for a part-time administrator, but the days clash with this job. I might still mention that I wouldn't mind combining both jobs though. =P

Jim is saying I could try doing freelance stuff part-time as well, but the risk with that is that I can't predict how much I would earn with that and how much work I can find. I'd love to do that though, but seems a bit risky.

I would have to find some part-time work first of course. =P

But it would be an option if the hours etc. work out. The thing is they also have a position going for a part-time administrator, but the days clash with this job. I might still mention that I wouldn't mind combining both jobs though. =P

Jim is saying I could try doing freelance stuff part-time as well, but the risk with that is that I can't predict how much I would earn with that and how much work I can find. I'd love to do that though, but seems a bit risky.

Could you move to part-time hours in your current position?

Could you move to part-time hours in your current position?

Nope, no part-time positions. I won't even be in my current position soon anyway since they are moving me to a temp contract on a different contract, which is why I am looking at other jobs.

Is there any scope to change to full-time hours in the future? In the meantime, live off Jim's income (and your 7.5k would be entirely Tax/NI free so it's £625 per month).