NEurope
MoogleViper

Job woes/wins

Time to discuss all of those ups and downs of the 50 year sentence we call a career.

I've just been accepted for an interview. Good news, although it's in Leeds on a wednesday (means travelling up tuesday night, coming back weds night). Not sure how I can get the time off, we're pretty busy at work. Might have to pull a sickie. Also, it's in Leeds, so that's a lot of travelling.

Why am I putting it off? Well it's a fixed term contract until the end of 2014. I really want to move but it seems like it might be a bit silly to leave a fairly well paid job, to have no guarantee of future employment after 8 months.

Thoughts?

Bleh. Someone at work who started after me and had been consistently incompetent* has just been promoted to a sort of manager, so now gets paid more than me. To make matters worse, part of his role involves working with me and since he's new to the role, I have to essentially train him. Joy.

Also, one of the bosses has taken the word "faggot" as his term or endearment for members of our department. I just love people coming through and saying "Hey faggots, who wants to do me a favour?"

Oh, and when my girlfriend went for an interview with us, she was basically promised the job, but when she came to the second interview with someone else, they had lost her CV and blamed her for not bringing another one, then proceeded to tell her that her university education was basically pointless because "they only do one project every few months. Here we handle multiple ones per day".

*He once attached the wrong logo to a project. The place thought we had designed a new logo for them and they liked it so much they refused to have it changed back to their one. We had to ring the place whose logo it was and ask permission to use it. They were pissed, understandably, so we had to do a £2k project for them for free to prevent them from seeking legal advice. That was less than a year ago.

Edited by Goafer

Do it.

Im in a job at the min (a redeployed role) that is incredibly boring. I had an opportunity to go to Manchester, bottled it and now im miserable.

I'm literally looking everyday for something new. Even considering changing career or something.

Great timing for this thread, as I am jobhunting as well!

@MoogleViper: what is the reason why you want the new job? Better pay? Or is it something you would want to do more than your current job? 8 months is still a decent amount of time, and there is the possibility that they will keep you longer. You could ask about it during the interview I guess.

As for me, basically I got promoted to a QA in January, then in February we were told lots of job were put at risk of redundancy. Since I just joined the QA team, it is likely I won't stay in that role. So I would either be put in a different, shitty role, or be made redundant. Oh and I kind of hate my current role anyway, so I don't really want to stay.

I have applied for a few jobs, trying to find ones as a designer/artworker. Seem to get completely ignored for those roles. Applied for a job as a Student Services Assistant for an international school teaching English (basically being a receptionist). Not really something I would love to do, and I don't consider myself good enough as a receptionist, but I applied because it is a 10 minute walk from where I live, and the pay is ok (less than I am on now but still ok).

I managed to get a first interview on Tuesday, then got invited to a second interview today. Apparently I was one of 3 they asked back. I will hear more tomorrow.

I am nervous. I am not sure I want the job, but there is nothing else going around, and I really really want to leave my current job. One thing though, they want someone to start ASAP, but I have to give 4 weeks noticed in my current role. Not sure they would let me go early... =(

So my dad's bankrolled my Master's with the end of getting me a job in mind, but I've literally no idea where to start looking, what to do, or whether I even want a job. I can't imagine having to deal with, like, people, on a day to day basis.

Been in my job for over 5 years now but I've had an interview for another and apparently I'm a strong candidate for them. I really hope I get this new job as it's actually IT-based which is what I want to do as opposed to my current job as a bartender :p

I've somehow managed to wrangle my job so I work from home now. It's great. This morning I chilled in the garden. Then I did some cross stitching.

Great idea for a thread. Pretty much the only good news/bad news in my life is job-related.

I'm still enjoying the 'politics' of managing relationships with my colleagues, my bosses and the other teams. I'm working hard with the anticipation that a bigger and/or better role occurs in the next 6 months. I've had several ego boosts along the path of the last 10 months in this job, and teh hope of more to come keeps me going. If this was a dead-end thing then it would kill me. I have to stay aware that if nothing changes in 6 months then it will be a dead end thing, so come september I will know if I need to look elsewhere.

It's never easy to know whether to stay the course or jump ship, but I think people should not be afraid of being unemployed. It can be a real struggle financially, but it is completely possible. This fear should never keep you from making a shift. Ultimately a spell in a new job brings new experience which could prove to be priceless further down the line. At least, that's my opinion on the matter right now!

Everyone (i think) knows about my woes with my job.

The main part of my job i hate the most (and which is why i can relate to ReZ's "Call Centre" videos he makes) is the customers and management. Oh, and the fact it's a phone-based job. Anyone who works in a call centre will know that customers can be bloody annoying, down right stupid and complain about the simplest of things (including the process to do whatever it is they want doing). I've been told consistently to cheer up and change my mood/attitude by various people, but i simply cannot do that. Job is meaningless, boring and not "challenging" in anyway shape or form.

In recent weeks as i've mentioned, they were basically "forcing" people to apply for their own jobs as a way to stop paying a redundancy. And they kept changing their minds in what was being done, to the point being that no-one has a clue with what is going on. And in the last week, they turned around and offered anyone whom wants the redundancy (including those whom actually "applied" and had the job offered + accepted) to turn down the offer and take the money (which is my boat). But i was warned that by doing this, you are risking even getting the money as they'll use it as a way (again) to stop paying it. As they'll say they offered work but you refused it.

I hate the job, and i wish i never accepted it 2 years 9 months ago. Oh, and it's a "fixed term contract" which has been extended in 6 month stages since June 2011.

I have decided that if (and i pray i'm not) i'm still there in 6 months time, i'll quit. But to be fair, i'm border-lining that now.

I work for a small engineering consultancy. This week we went to the Jaguar headquarters for a project and it made me realise how I never ever want to work there. Ever.

I work for a small engineering consultancy. This week we went to the Jaguar headquarters for a project and it made me realise how I never ever want to work there. Ever.

Really? The one in Solihull?

I thought it seemed like a great place to work.

Urgh. So done with work this week, and have been since Monday.

Colleagues are frustratingly shit. Lazy and mostly incompetent, or at best under-informed. And as we're supposed to be the people that fix mistakes, rather than make them, it isn't great. They drive me up the bloody wall as I'm constantly having to pick up slack.

There's so many better things we can be doing as a team, and I want to be doing, but they hold me back because their incompetence slows me down. Plus they always work on everything together, so it's like I have 1 still-not-great colleague rather than the 2 I'm supposed to have.

Aaaaand our team leader position is going to be advertised soon. Not sure whether I want it, but think I'll apply anyway. Money, ne?

Oh and @Eenuh if you did have to leave your current job, could you not use up annual leave to make up for some of the 4 weeks notice period? Good luck with the interview!

Really? The one in Solihull?

I thought it seemed like a great place to work.

Actually the one in Gaydon. It may well be nice to work there, but i don't think it would be for me. Just too many people everywhere, and so many managers and red tape and forms and no one knows what's going on half the time. My current job is all in one room, and there are only 7 of us. It's so much more relaxed.

I can't make a proper comparison obviously, but i'm happy where I am.

I had an "oh fucking shit fuck fuck bollocks" moment this week. We were on a visit to the client, and about a quarter of the way through the meeting, I realised that there was a form I hadn't done. This form is supposed to be completed before fieldwork begins, and we were 3 days out of field (and timings were too tight to incorporate a two week delay). So I had to sit through the rest of the meeting, and the car ride home (in my manager's car) shitting myself about the trouble I was in.

Bear in mind, that this is a director who once sent me three angry emails, two angry IM messages, and an angry voicemail on my personal mobile because I was 10 minutes late to a team meeting (internal, not eeven with the client).

However my manager wasn't anywhere near as angry as I anticipated, and instead managed to pull in a favour from the a guy in the necessary team and got the work done. I was anticipating a few days of "oh my god I hate this job, I want to leave more than ever".

Why am I putting it off? Well it's a fixed term contract until the end of 2014. I really want to move but it seems like it might be a bit silly to leave a fairly well paid job, to have no guarantee of future employment after 8 months.

Thoughts?

How much extra does it pay and what are the prospects after it. It's very easy just to play it safe. My 2 jobs ago position was a cooshty marketing position that was fairly well paid. Not a great salary but was more than enough to get by. The problem for me was there were no prospects with it. I jumped ship to a 12 month contract and ahve recently moved from that with 4 months remaining to a 6 month contract. Possibility of being extended but with the experience and contacts I've gained from both contracts I'll have no problem finding another position if it isn't. I put away half my salary as my warchest for 6 months time if I am unemployed... and I still have more each month than I did in my previous position.

I've somehow managed to wrangle my job so I work from home now. It's great. This morning I chilled in the garden. Then I did some cross stitching.

Awesome, I've just requested VPN access so I can do the same, won't be every day though. Probably just once or twice a week.

@Ashley: no idea about annual leave, not sure it is an option as I can't really book anything anymore for March or April. It always has to be booked way in advance. Haven't heard back yet from the job, keep refreshing my inbox every few minutes. >.>;

I really want to try and get into the graphic design industry somehow though, even if it is as an artworker or junior graphic designer. Ideally I would like to do something like providing illustrations and designs for educational purposes etc, but I haven't seen that job around here yet.

Anyway, my experience is mostly limited to illustrations, not really much graphic design work, which means my chances are very limited. What would be the best way of getting some experience and stuff to put in my portfolio? Do I make some "mock" work, where I pretend I am making brochures etc. for fake companies?

How much extra does it pay and what are the prospects after it. It's very easy just to play it safe. My 2 jobs ago position was a cooshty marketing position that was fairly well paid. Not a great salary but was more than enough to get by. The problem for me was there were no prospects with it. I jumped ship to a 12 month contract and ahve recently moved from that with 4 months remaining to a 6 month contract. Possibility of being extended but with the experience and contacts I've gained from both contracts I'll have no problem finding another position if it isn't. I put away half my salary as my warchest for 6 months time if I am unemployed... and I still have more each month than I did in my previous position.

It's £3k more (equivalent per annum). The rent would be cheaper than Oxford, however I have the contract on my current place until August, so finding somebody else (unlikely, and would cost me £100), or paying double rent for a few months would feel like a pay cut.

The job I'm currently in, my manager says he wants to get me promoted to Senior Analyst by the end of the year (also a £3k pay rise, and would look good on my CV). However my director was less optimistic, he said I had the potential to get a 4 on my annual review (which is the highest you can get), which would put me in good stead to get promoted. However my next review isn't until next February, and I really don't want to have to wait that long.

Additionally, I'm in contact with a few recruiters, and it seems I've got good prospects for moving forward within the Market Research industry, or moving client-side. I don't know if I want to do the former, the latter is more appealing.

I think I'll go to the interview and ask about future prospects. Even if I don't get/take it, it would be good to get some interview experience.

Edited by MoogleViper

Do I make some "mock" work, where I pretend I am making brochures etc. for fake companies?

Definitely do this. Make mock brochures or whatever for real companies to show what you can do. Also go around small local businesses/charities and offer to do some graphic design for them for free. User your samples as evidence of what you can do.

@Ashley: no idea about annual leave, not sure it is an option as I can't really book anything anymore for March or April. It always has to be booked way in advance. Haven't heard back yet from the job, keep refreshing my inbox every few minutes. >.>;

You're legally entitled to annual leave. As you'd be leaving you're not actually using it up for holiday the no March/April rule should be ignored. The company either need to grant you the time off, or pay you for it as its yours.

And of course, they can't prove that you're not sick in your last week if worse comes to worse ;)

I think the job @Emma recently got is similar to what you're looking for. Maybe speak to her and see if their company wants anything, or knows of places that would?

The manager of a different team was asked who our team was (by someone who has been asked to liaise with us) and he apparently responded with ""it's basically Ashley, who is effectively the team leader, not officially yet, but will be"".

So there we go...

Am on a bit of a jolly at the moment to be honest. I'm doing a 16 week training course, mostly in Leeds, and my company pay for me to stay at a hotel there and give me free meals. Plus I'm being paid £25k a year while I do it. The course is starting to get hard going though, all this talk of railway signalling, rules and regulations makes my head spin. But I know it'll all go in eventually, and I've got a good career waiting for me at the end of it. So career life is good at the moment for me :D

Anyone know about becoming a teacher?

Ive got a law degree and been practising for past few years but due to various circumstances fancy a career change. I would teach History I think. Got an A level in it at Grade A and did enjoy it. I was toying with the idea at the time buy chose to do law instead.

Would I need to do a history degree?

Anyone know about becoming a teacher?

Ive got a law degree and been practising for past few years but due to various circumstances fancy a career change. I would teach History I think. Got an A level in it at Grade A and did enjoy it. I was toying with the idea at the time buy chose to do law instead.

Would I need to do a history degree?

I believe the degree needs to be at least 50% of the subject you want to teach.

There's a freephone number if you want to look into it further.

Actually the one in Gaydon. It may well be nice to work there, but i don't think it would be for me. Just too many people everywhere, and so many managers and red tape and forms and no one knows what's going on half the time. My current job is all in one room, and there are only 7 of us. It's so much more relaxed.

I can't make a proper comparison obviously, but i'm happy where I am.

I've been working on a project at JLR for the last 10 months (started out in Gaydon and have now moved to Coventry). I get what you're saying - I work in a small project room with 5 other people and the atmosphere is great. Step outside into the main office space and everywhere is very quiet. I'd say that it's not necessarily atypical of a massive company to be like that, especially when they're thousands of office workers working on one site. Smaller offices generally have better atmospheres... if the people you're working with aren't horrible people.

Having said that, JLR is a great company to work for. Lots of perks, very decent job security for the private sector, and the company are in a very strong position and growing each year. I wouldn't mind getting a job there so I can get a company Jag!

You're in the minority of you turn down a job at JLR. Their grad scheme is one of the most over-subscribed in the country (despite being one of the largest).

They usually get about 14,000 people applying each year.

P.S. not saying you should take a job you don't want, just thought it was valid information.