NEurope
MoogleViper

Rediscovering childhood TV shows

Talking to my parents a few weeks ago, and remembered a CBBC show that we all used to watch during/after dinner. It was called Jeopardy, and I decided to give it a re-watch. So far, I'm glad I did. As good as I remember it.

Did anybody else watch it when they were younger?

Also, Kari Corbett is hot (it's OK, she was 17/18; I checked :D). Didn't realise it was the same person when I saw her in Shameless.

It got me thinking how many other shows we watched as children could still be watched now that we're grown ups. Anything you've re-discovered? Anything that you never stopped watching?

P.S. I'm talking about things you watched when you were younger, not shit like Adventure Time or Bronies.

I still watch the shows I used to watch when I was younger. Don't even care, haha.

Mine are Kenan and Kel, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Gargoyles, Hey Arnold!, Young Dracula (I was late teens but still liked it), Dinosaurs, Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Extreme Ghostbusters, Donkey Kong, Beetleborgs and That's So Raven!

I'm pretty much stuck in the 90s when it comes to kids' shows. I love them to bits. Seriously though, 90s had the best kids' shows!

(I was late teens but still liked it)

I think teens (anything less than 15) counts. I was about 14 when I first watched Jeopardy, I think.

Recently found all of a show called Archer's Goon on Youtube - for some reason I always remembered it as a kid even though I didn't really know what the hell was going on, but was nice to watch it all now. For interesting reference it's based on a book written by Diane Wynne Jones - welsh author who also wrote the book upon which Howl's Moving Castle was 'based' which was a good read in itself. Another fun fact is that the show also starred the recently deceased Roger Lloyd Pack(saw it just a week or so before he passed away), had Max from Eastenders, and also another lady Annette Baldnad who's been in like everything and recently popped up in Eastenders too.

Alllso, I've been meaning to make a thread about The Tomorrow People since it started on E4, as I recall the remake fondly from when I was a kid too and wondered if anyone else did(I later found/bought it on DVD too).

Ren & Stimpy

The Tick

Batman: The Animated Series (and to a lesser extent, Beyond, too)

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

Rocko's Modern Life

Gargoyles

The Maxx

Invader ZIM

And also, all of the Cartoon Network stuff like Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, Courage, Johnny Bravo, Foster's,

All of these still hold up amazingly well, these days. They're essentially timeless and can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone with an open mind, regardless of age (there's ALOT of more mature content in most of them which we probably didn't even notice when we were kids).

And then there's a huge amount of lesser but still great shows like Ducktales, Freakazoid, Doug, Mighty Max, Count Duckula, X-Men, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Talespin, Rugrats, Darkwing Duck, Hey Arnold, Pepper Ann, etc etc etc. They might not hold up as well as the ones mentioned above but are still incredible and I hope to someday rewatch them with any potential sons or daughters I may purchase.

I didn't watch any live action tv when I was a kid/teen, though. I did watch a retardedly huge amount of movies, but series were something I didn't start caring for until my very late teens (18/19).

any potential sons or daughters I may purchase.

I was about to agree with pretty much everything you said, except...uuhhh... please tell me that's a typo.

I was about to agree with pretty much everything you said, except...uuhhh... please tell me that's a typo.

Not so much a typo as a figure of speech. I was gonna write acquire or accumulate... but then I decided purchase would be sillier. Don't worry, I was just jesting!

Apart from a lot of the ones already mentioned, one of the series I remember most fondly was the first ever computer-animated TV series: ReBoot

Apart from a lot of the ones already mentioned, one of the series I remember most fondly was the first ever computer-animated TV series: ReBoot

All I remember from that show is some crazy bit where it like reset and then things were never the same again.

Some that I have the box sets of:

And some I've watched recently(ish):

Best intro music ever:

And ending:

And I really want to watch this again at some point:

Edited by Goafer

I've recently been rewatching episodes of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, which i still find pretty enjoyable

tumblr_mxw2tecjMT1s6l9jdo1_400.gif

Oh my GOD. I've re-visited most childhood shows but I'd completely forgotten about this. I used to watch it with my brother when he'd come home from school, heck, I hadn't even started school then!

Oh man, this really melts my heart to watch! And I think I used to be madly in love with silver hair guy (as much as you can be at like, age 5 ahaha). Gosh, I was expecting to find the usual Pokémon and Power Rangers references in here but your post really blew my mind :grin:

And I started watching Saved By The Bell again about a year ago in an ironic way. Ended up watching every episode from start to finish, probably multiple times, over many months and getting completely engrossed in their perfect high school life. I really have no shame! I even got a Screech t-shirt to feed my obsession.

I also watched a few Power Rangers episodes a few months ago hoping it would have the same effect but I wasn't as taken :p It had aged so badly and was clearly aimed at such young viewers that when the nostalgia had gone all I was left with was a very weird show with some terrible acting. That witch lady has the worst voice I've ever heard!!

powerranger44.jpg

I came into this thread thinking of ReBoot, and there it is! I can't remember if they ever showed the end though. I remember shit getting serious but not any resolution to it.

I came into this thread thinking of ReBoot, and there it is! I can't remember if they ever showed the end though. I remember shit getting serious but not any resolution to it.

The first season consisted mostly of stand-alone episodes with a two-parter at the end. The second season slowly built up a story arc ending in a monumental change to the status quo: Bob being banished to the web and Megabyte trying to take over Mainframe. (This was the last season they showed in Denmark. I've watched the rest online since.)

Season three was split up into four segments of four episodes, each segment constituting a chapter in the overarching plot: 1) Enzo takes over Bob's Guardian duties along with his friend AndrAIa, but eventually they lose a Game and, to save themselves from becoming nullified, opt to leave with the Game. 2) The now adult Enzo and AndrAIa, aged by the increased time progression in the Games, try to find their way back to Mainframe, Enzo having become embittered and now opting to call himself only by his last name, Matrix. 3) Encountering the crew of the Saucy Mare, their old pirate friends, Matrix and AndrAIa journey to the Web to find Bob, who has been harrowed by its inhospitable environment, and eventually find their way back to Mainframe. 4) The whole crew returns to Mainframe to find it under control of Megabyte, who now calls it Megaframe, and joins up with their old friends in the resistance. The battle between Megabyte and the heroes rage on until eventually the system is so badly damaged that the User forces a reboot, finally restoring everything to its original state. Well ... almost everything. The final episode ends with a musical number summing up the season.

Season four consists of two segments of four episodes, each segment having also been released as a feature film. The first, Daemon Rising, centers around a supervirus called Daemon who threatens to take over the entire Net. The second, My Two Bobs, sees the sudden and mysterious return of the old, pre-Web Bob, prompting the rise of tension and suspicion and eventually ending in a cliffhanger which was never resolved as the series ended prematurely at this point.

Following the takeover by Rainmaker, a three-part webcomic called Paradigms Lost was developed which continued and concluded the story from the TV series. Plans for a film trilogy were made, but nothing came of it; however, in most recent news, plans have been announced for a new TV series.

Re-watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on Netflix recently, wow. The nostalga has gone and now i can't really get myself to watch the whole series. Terrible acting, terrible lip-syncing. And as i discovered (and check the Power Ranger thread), terrible editing. One episode i saw had a Japanese chap holding the Megazord up from behind, bad editing. If i ever get around to watching the rest of the series, there is the Thunder, Ninja and Trojan eras to watch. Then there is Zeo, Turbo, Space etc. But i don't think i'll get past Turbo (if at all).

And i've also been watching

Saved by the Bell (i've got no shame, a fine series which i am currently on Season 3 and enjoying it very much.), Dinosaurs and most recently The Demon Headmaster (all the series is on YouTube). Completly forgot how eree that was as a child, mainly watched it for nostalgia. The story is easy enough to follow.

I used to LOVE SM:TV live. I'd set my alarm just so I'd be up in time to watch it!

I used to love ReBoot when I was a kid... I tried revisiting it a few years ago and just couldn't get into it. Some things are better left un(re)watched. =/

I used to love ReBoot when I was a kid... I tried revisiting it a few years ago and just couldn't get into it. Some things are better left un(re)watched. =/

THAT'S THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THIS THREAD'S FOR!!!

THAT'S THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THIS THREAD'S FOR!!!

Can't tell wether you're messing with me or not, here...

Isn't rediscovering shows you watched as a kid the point? I rediscovered ReBoot... and I wish I hadn't (as I thought it was awesome and now I don't).

Edit: Unles you mean because I didn't like it anymore. If that's the case, I was merely reacting to DannyB's post, I only mentioned stuff I still loved equally nowadays in my post.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

Can't tell wether you're messing with me or not, here...

Isn't rediscovering shows you watched as a kid the point? I rediscovered ReBoot... and I wish I hadn't (as I thought it was awesome and now I don't).

Edit: Unles you mean because I didn't like it anymore. If that's the case, I was merely reacting to DannyB's post, I only mentioned stuff I still loved equally nowadays in my post.

I meant because you didn't like it; but yeah, 'twas a joke.

It's funny, I actually found I enjoyed it much more when I rediscovered it as an adult. I think perhaps I was a bit too young to properly understand and appreciate everything that was going on when I watched it back in the day.

Alex Mack

Round the Twist

Mirror Mirror

Captain Bucky o'Hare

Pirates of Dark Water

Dungeons and Dragons

Loved them all.

Alex Mack

Round the Twist

Mirror Mirror

Captain Bucky o'Hare

Pirates of Dark Water