NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Oxigen_Waste

Help me pick my first soccer game!

Should I go with FIFA or PES? Never played a soccer game seriously for more than 2 minutes before, but I'm feeling like a team sports game and soccer games seem to be the best in the genre.

Should I go with FIFA or PES? Never played a soccer game seriously for more than 2 minutes before, but I'm feeling like a team sports game and soccer games seem to be the best in the genre.

For me, the most joy I've ever had out of a football game is PES6. I've played other football games but I'll always go back to that one in particular. I'm not much of a fan of football games but I've played it for hours before now.

I've always found PES to be better. Just lacks the full FIFA license. What platform are you buying for? I loved PES on the Wii, best controls ever.

Any platform except PS4 or Xbone. I have everything else. Whichever you guys think is best, basically.

As non-football fan both are solid but PES has generally tended to be the more enjoyable to play. FIFA's got a bit much of that whole fiddly-hyper-realism thing going on.

FOOTBALL!!!

I personally think Fifa, the license is too important, and PES lost the plot a few years ago. I have the Wii U version of 13 and ps3 version of 14... and I still pretty much only play the wii u game. It plays a better game for me, the new ones al title too ping pong. I've updated all the premiership teams int he wii u game so still up to date :) And it's a bargain!

soccer games

Dang, of all the english-speaking places you could've asked... :heh:

(I have nothing to say on the subject. Not a genre I like)

International Superstar Soccer 64.

I loved that game. So many our games ended because it s to tempting to slide tackle the goalie while he had the ball, leading to 5 red cards per team and the game ending.

Any platform except PS4 or Xbone.

Dang, Fifa 14 on PS4 is very good. The Ignite Engine makes quite the difference.

Other than that...Fifa 14 on PS3. You should try the demo, though.

I definitely would not recommend the latest instalments of both FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer as they feel terrible :nono: The constant strive for 'realism' from both EA Sports and Konami has seemingly made them forget the core elements that make a football game enjoyable. Slow, sluggish gameplay does not equal 'realism' to me, though, and it is certainly not fun :hmm:

You're actually coming into the genre in a somewhat enviable position, though, in that you haven't become accustomed to a certain football game's mechanics and way of playing and therefore you're instincts will be untarnished. In a way, what I'm trying to say is that many of us played Pro Evolution Soccer on the Wii in recent years after having spent the last decade or more playing football games with a traditional controller. For many, the old style of gameplay was too engraned and the desire wasn't there to appreciate or enjoy a completely awesome new way to play. It certainly wasn't a control scheme that suited everyone, but if you dived into it without years or playing football games on traditional controllers, you may just really get into it :hehe:

Having said that, if you have a PS2 I'd probably recommend Pro Evolution Soccer 6, one of the greatest football games ever made :smile: It is a game that most people can pick up, play, compete and have a great time but also has plenty of depth to reward those who delve into it's intricacies :yay:

Other than that, ISS 64 or ISS 98 on N64 are outstanding games, with the former enhanced due to insanely brilliant commentary :love:

If you simply have to get an HD football game, though, I'd say PES 2013 is probably the best on PS3 / XBOX 360..

I definitely would not recommend the latest instalments of both FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer as they feel terrible :nono: The constant strive for 'realism' from both EA Sports and Konami has seemingly made them forget the core elements that make a football game enjoyable. Slow, sluggish gameplay does not equal 'realism' to me, though, and it is certainly not fun :hmm:

You're actually coming into the genre in a somewhat enviable position, though, in that you haven't become accustomed to a certain football game's mechanics and way of playing and therefore you're instincts will be untarnished. In a way, what I'm trying to say is that many of us played Pro Evolution Soccer on the Wii in recent years after having spent the last decade or more playing football games with a traditional controller. For many, the old style of gameplay was too engraned and the desire wasn't there to appreciate or enjoy a completely awesome new way to play. It certainly wasn't a control scheme that suited everyone, but if you dived into it without years or playing football games on traditional controllers, you may just really get into it :hehe:

Having said that, if you have a PS2 I'd probably recommend Pro Evolution Soccer 6, one of the greatest football games ever made :smile: It is a game that most people can pick up, play, compete and have a great time but also has plenty of depth to reward those who delve into it's intricacies :yay:

Other than that, ISS 64 or ISS 98 on N64 are outstanding games, with the former enhanced due to insanely brilliant commentary :love:

If you simply have to get an HD football game, though, I'd say PES 2013 is probably the best on PS3 / XBOX 360..

How about PES 6 on the 360? I keep hearing about how PES 4/5/6 were the absolute pinnacle of footy games and 6 is available on the 360, so I'd get the best of both worlds, right? Plus, I don't care about the licenses or whatever (not a sports fan), so I could care less about wether or not it's up to date, I just want good gameplay.

The "soccer" thing was a just a "lesser of two evils" type of thing, rather call it soccer than risk not being clear, though I realize this is N-Europe.

How about PES 6 on the 360? I keep hearing about how PES 4/5/6 were the absolute pinnacle of footy games and 6 is available on the 360, so I'd get the best of both worlds, right? Plus, I don't care about the licenses or whatever (not a sports fan), so I could care less about wether or not it's up to date, I just want good gameplay.

I haven't got as much experience with the XBOX 360 version but the little I have played of it in the past is still a great football game, though I'd still say that it feels inferior to the PS2 release. A lot of features from the PS2 game are also absent, but i'm not sure if that will be all that much of a problem for your needs :smile:

As for you including PES 4 and 5 in the 'pinnacle of footy games' bracket, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 was definitely excellent when it was released but was definitely improved a lot in susequent instalments. I haven't payed PES 5 for years as we have PES 6 on PS2 heavily edited for our needs, with new players created for the teams my friends and I support and transfers adjusted accordingly :heh:

Disregard everything anybody has said in this thread and just pick up one of the latter Pro Evo games for the Wii.

The control scheme is far superior to anything else that is out there and it more than makes up for its flaws, the lack of licence, etc. It's not especially pretty to look at, but the gameplay is the most perfect form of football I've ever played on a console.

Pro Evo and Fifa haven't been any good for the other consoles for about...3 years now. At least.

If you just want to pick up a game to play with your mates, it doesn't really matter which of the others you choose. They're all the same, bar FIFA having the licensed teams and Pro Evo playing slightly better (debatable). However, if you want something with more depth and the ability to create plays that are nigh-on impossible on the other versions, get the Wii versions of Pro Evo. Not sure what the last one was...2012? Get that. It's probably cheap as fuck, too.

I bought PES 6 for £1.50 on ebay, can't beat that.

Also, one of the big reasons I want a soccer game is people keep asking if I've got one, so it'll get alot of multiplayer use... unless it's the Wii version, which nobody knows how to play. It would defeat the purpose.

Also, one of the big reasons I want a soccer game is people keep asking if I've got one, so it'll get alot of multiplayer use... unless it's the Wii version, which nobody knows how to play. It would defeat the purpose.

You've probably made the best choice, then. You need to invest a fair bit of time into the Wii version until it starts to click. Giving it to a newbie would be hilarious as they wouldn't know what the fuck they were doing.

The only thing you're paying for with newer versions of Fifa and Pro Evo are updated stats. Oh, and possibly a broken penalty taking system. Aside from that, there hasn't been a great deal of evolution for the last 4 or so years. It's worrying because Pro Evo used to be the series that was pushing boundaries, but even that's become a bit lazy. They truly did catch up to FIFA/EA in that respect.

FOOTBALL!!!

I personally think Fifa, the license is too important, and PES lost the plot a few years ago. I have the Wii U version of 13 and ps3 version of 14... and I still pretty much only play the wii u game. It plays a better game for me, the new ones al title too ping pong. I've updated all the premiership teams int he wii u game so still up to date :) And it's a bargain!

how does the update roster work. I did this last night but a quick check showed none of the Jan or summer transfers were correct. Is this just EA not bothering to update the rosters fro Wii U or does this function do something else?

how does the update roster work. I did this last night but a quick check showed none of the Jan or summer transfers were correct. Is this just EA not bothering to update the rosters fro Wii U or does this function do something else?

Yeah, I did it manually... dedicated :)

Pes is by far the best football game around , get an option file update and there's no reason whatsoever to consider FIFA .

Solid purchase. PES6 is the best, they went shite afterwards.

Watch out for Adriano though, the fat twat on the box art, he can score from absolutely anywhere. Use to be a nightmare online.

Update:

I've been playing around with both PES 6 and FIFA 13 (and a couple of matches with PES 2014).

How the hell can anyone preffer FIFA over PES? Oo

I'm not a footy fan (or any other sport... except basketball, love B-ball), so all the extra fluff like the updated and licensed actual teams or that lame presentation charm is something I'm not interested in at all, and the actual gameplay leaves no room for doubt, imo.

FIFA feels clunky, streamlined and unresponsive (those CONSTANT incredibly delayed actions are killint it, for me). The players handle like tanks and the game encourages and somewhat forces you to play linearly, when it comes to the actual tactics. It becomes predictable and easy incredibly fastand provides very little reward for your successes, from a reward center perspective. The gameplay is there and it's functional, but it's like people are trying to hide behind that fact (that the gameplay is functional) to justify letting themselves be seduced by the game's presentation (which is incredible, no doubt).

PES is so much better at gameplay! The players actually feel like limber bundles of infinite possibility, here! It's fluid, it's responsive, it's intuitive and incredibly rewarding once you start mastering it. The depth is nowhere near the same level! It's not that FIFA didn't have it's charms, it's just that PES has been delivering so many more genuine incredible gameplay moments that it's hard to take FIFA seriously.

And I got the chance to check out PES 2014 over at a mate's house on a PS3 and it still kicked some serious butt, although it was somewhat different. It was still much superior to FIFA 13!

FIFA is a clear case of style over substance, but since it's quite functional and knows how to hide it's flaws well among the fluff, people end up loving it anyway. And rightly so, it ain't a bad game at all! However, PES is honest and open about it's shortcomings, with a merely functional presentation and focus heavily on delivering where it really matters: the gameplay (which is fucking amazing, I wish there were Bball games this good)!

Which is the best modern PES game? 2014 seems to get the most love, conveniently...

Btw, playing both PES 6 and FIFA 13 on a 360.

I wish 2014 had a Wii U version, I really wanna try the pointer controls, and with a Wii U they could include BOTH styles of gameplay (although I think I'm merely dreaming out loud here, the poor thing has been deserted by almost everyone)...

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying PES 6, @Oxigen_Waste, and can clearly understand why I've been frustrated by the gameplay in recent football games, particularly FIFA ::shrug:

Others may dismiss you're opinion based on the fact that you never play football games or aren't really into the sport but I can appreciate your views as you're basing them on the enjoyment you get from playing the game rather than being influenced by other factors.. it's just a shame that you almost negated your whole post by saying that PES 2014 'kicked some serious butt' as, from what I played, it is AWFUL :heh:

Sign in to follow this