NEurope
Cube

Steel Diver: Sub Wars

The free version is out now. It included the full multiplayer (but with only two submarines to choose from) and a couple of singleplayer levels.

If it doesn't appear in "New Releases", just search for it.

Anyone get the feeling from the title and music/art style that this is Nintendo's 'oh that'll do' for Advance Wars?

Anyone get the feeling from the title and music/art style that this is Nintendo's 'oh that'll do' for Advance Wars?

If this is Nintendo's attempt at "Advance Wars", then it's rather Sub-par.

Tried a few online battles. It doesn't seem very tactical at all, just extremely slow and boring.

The premium version is £8.99 and lets you unlock 18 submarines (these are unlocked as you earn medals), with increasingly better stats. You also can collect crew which add to your stats - the premium version has to 5 crew on some subs (the free subs have 1 crew slot). You also get missions 3+ of the singleplayer. There's also an additional shop where you can buy 5 historic submarines, but it's unclear if this means you have to spend more real money on top of the premium version for these.

Edit: Oh, and multiplayer is with random people only. No playing with friends.

The game does have text communication, which you have to type in morse (the game gives you a list of the codes).

Edited by Cube

Played it, pretty good actually, but YET AGAIN another terrible TERRIBLE decision by Nintendo. You can't play online with friends... It's just Worldwide or continent and anyone and matched... Seriously... what do Nintendo think when they make these fucking stupid decisions?!?!?!

Played it, pretty good actually, but YET AGAIN another terrible TERRIBLE decision by Nintendo. You can't play online with friends... Its just Worldwide or continent and anyone and matched... Seriously... what do Nintendo think when they make these fucking stupid decisions?!?!?!

Seriously? Haha. They just don't get it, do they?

Man, I can't wait to see what happens with the matchmaking in Smash and Mario Kart.

I sort of got the feeling 'o, that'll do Star Fox' when I saw Peppy Hare in the trailer and when they showed those rings the Submarine had to go through.

Not at all, no.

Not at all, no.
Advance Wars/Battalion Wars...

I dunno, I just think like their Excitebike series was reimagined as Excitetruck for the Wii, I kind of think Steel Diver is Nintendo's 'Wars' game for this generation. Basically no Advance/Battalion for a long time.

Edited by Retro_Link

The Blue Marine from StarFox64 would have been a nice unlockable.

There are some great impressions floating around online. Looking forward to downloading this.

A frustrating as it is, I'd rather enjoy a game for what it is, rather than focus on what it is missing and letting that ruin the experience.

Also: Nintendo make new franchise...gets dissed for not being an old franchise :P

The Blue Marine from StarFox64 would have been a nice unlockable.

There are some great impressions floating around online. Looking forward to downloading this.

A frustrating as it is, I'd rather enjoy a game for what it is, rather than focus on what it is missing and letting that ruin the experience.

Also: Nintendo make new franchise...gets dissed for not being an old franchise :P

Haha, this IS an old franchise though :)

I like your mentality, and I liked what I played of this, but I just can't ignore or forget that this free to play online game lacks the ability to play with your friends... Who implemented this? And how come no one said "hang on, you've forgot to have a FRIENDS option..."

Come on though... it's Steel Diver.

"But you can play with your friends. They just have to be in the same room as you. It's not like friends play games with each other online."

Edit: Also, Steel Diver was first shown 10 years ago.

Played it, pretty good actually, but YET AGAIN another terrible TERRIBLE decision by Nintendo. You can't play online with friends... It's just Worldwide or continent and anyone and matched... Seriously... what do Nintendo think when they make these fucking stupid decisions?!?!?!

Wow... really. This is just ridiculous. Nintendo gonna Nintendo!!

This is great fun and very tactical in the angles you have to get the sub at for attack , online is great fun , and the single player missions are challenging and even a few star fox style boss base battles ?well worth the £8.99

Not being able to play online with my friends means I won't pay money for this game.

Nintendo's decisions are actively pushing people away from their software, they did the same with Wii Sports!

Not being able to play online with my friends means I won't pay money for this game.

Nintendo's decisions are actively pushing people away from their software, they did the same with Wii Sports!

It's stuff like this that I want answers to but the press never ask the question. It's such a crazy thing to keep leaving out of their games.

Geoff quite often tries to put such questions to Reggie, that fans are expecting more from Nintendo and their games, but he's the master of spin and changing the subject...

*slaps hands* It's ALL ABOUT THE GAMES...

(what games would those be Reggie?)

I had this downloading in sleep mode last night, thought it might be a bit of a laugh anf with the online thought "yeah some friends matches could be good"

Then I read here there isnt even a basic "friends" search like the shit one in Wii SPorts Club.... ah come on now Nintendo you're having a laugh now surely!

It's like they saw the complaints over the basic bare bones friends search in Wii Sports Club and went... "guys people don't like searching for friends.... best not put it in future games" :heh:

If they frak up Mario Karts online there's gonna be one hell of a crazy Mokong rant on youtube!

It's stuff like this that I want answers to but the press never ask the question. It's such a crazy thing to keep leaving out of their games.

This is what I've always said. Why does no one really interrogate Nintendo on these questions. What is the decision to not have friends online and the utter ineptitude of Wii sports. I want Nintendo to know they've absolutely fucked it up, I hate thinking that they don't know and are surprised at terrible sales.

I quite like this game, only played it for an hour or so but it seems pretty good.

Not exactly the usual F2P style though, where you can access most (if not all of the content) but it just takes ages, so spending money will speed up the process.

The free version of Sub Wars feels much more like a demo really. :blank:

And as has already been mentioned, the lack of friend matchmaking is insane. So yeah, don't reckon I'll be getting the premium version. :hmm:

Yeah IGN said it should really have been a demo, especially as Nintendo refuse to acknowledge that it's Free2Play game. Apparently they coined the term Free2Start instead and then refused to even call it that during the Direct.

They also said the free version is kinda pointless anyway as they don't think anyone playing that version stands much of a chance against people with the full version with all the upgrades unlocked, and it wouldn't be fun. And this is the problem with F2P games, that people are unfairly matched and can buy themselves wins basically. This is what Nintendo don't like, so it's a bit strange they've gone and done it.

Game is getting an update. Must be related to tonight's maintenance.

Hello. This is Tadashi Sugiyama, Producer of Steel Diver: Sub Wars.

Thank you very much for playing Steel Diver: Sub Wars. I wanted to give you all a heads-up that we are planning to release an update for this game soon.

After this update, we should see fewer errors with the following error codes: [018-0501], [018-0502], and [018-0506].

Beyond this, we plan to continue improving the quality of the game's network connectivity.

We are also planning to implement a number of requests we have received from players in this update. Details will follow in the near future.

Finally, we have decided to close the Morse code chat room, so that change is included in this update as well.

You will, however, still be able to use Morse code chat while waiting for online battles to begin, and during game play.

I am thinking about preparing something to replace the Morse code chat room, so please be on the lookout for future updates.

Thank you.

Nice to see them implementing requested features. No idea if closing the chat room is good or bad.

I wonder if they'll fix the biggest omission of all, which is allowing FRIENDS BATTLES!!!!! If not, than my hand will be slapping my forehead hard!