NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Pokemon Link: Battle

It's now live on the EU & AU eShops :) £7.19

Been playing it the last 45 hours. It's fantastic :)

This does look really cool. I wanted to buy this. I get paid tomorrow so most likely, I'll be getting this. Can you play this on multiplayer across the world?

Can you play this on multiplayer across the world?

You mean online? It's a Nintendo game so probably not. :D

Nope. Local only.

Bit ridiculous, it's a puzzle game, it's not like it'll be hit by latency issues.

However, considering this game was commissioned in July, it's a pretty fast turnaround so can see the development time here.

It's still a really solid puzzle game. Reviews from Nintendo Life, Nintendo Insider and Nintendo World Report all put it at an 8/10

I've downloaded it, love puzzle games, and although I don't like pokemon, I still like the idea of something on top of the puzzle mechanic. I loved Puzzle Quest for the same reason (reminds me, still need to play puzzle quest 2)

Okay, played this quite a bit, I don't get it. I'm trying to figure out of this game is as shit as it appears or I'm missing out on something... It's mind numbingly simple you just do what needs to be done and don't actually think about anything! You can line up ANY pokemon on from anywhere on the grid, you just drag them there... which is just weird. You don't have to find the places to link up, find combo's, you just have to drag pokemon to lineup and the ONLY thing you have to think about is doing it as fast you can... It's bizarrely atrocious I'm staggered at the reviews...

Am I missing something!??!!

It's now live on the EU & AU eShops :) £7.19

Been playing it the last 45 hours. It's fantastic :)

Nope, it's basic and a step backwards compared to pokemon link on the DS. I'm finding it pretty dull to be honest.

Whenever I see the title of this, I read it as being more instructional...

'Pokemon! Link! Battle!'

A game where the Hero of Time has to face off against hordes of Pokemon that have somehow invaded Hyrule... now that's a game I'd buy. ;)

Nope, it's basic and a step backwards compared to pokemon link on the DS. I'm finding it pretty dull to be honest.

I disagree. I find it vastly improved on the original

Can you explain what the puzzle aspect is because it just seems to me that you lineup Pokemon with no challenge or anything stopping you, other than having to do it at speed. The game is really weirdly simple.... I don't understand it at all!

Can you explain what the puzzle aspect is because it just seems to me that you lineup Pokemon with no challenge or anything stopping you, other than having to do it at speed. The game is really weirdly simple.... I don't understand it at all!

It's a Match 3 style puzzle. That's what you do in every Match 3 game.

It's a Match 3 style puzzle. That's what you do in every Match 3 game.

No, that's not true at all. In most games you can only move a piece one space and only if it actually makes a connection; in this you can literally move every poekemon to any space, it's ridiculous and has no real challenge, you don't have to THINK about anything and surely that's the essence elf puzzlers, this is just plain ridiculous. I must be missing something because I'm staggered at how stupid it is!

@dazzybee, you watched the trailer before downloading this, right?

"Match 3 or more, and you're good to go" That makes it pretty clear what the game involves. :D

What exactly were you expecting? :heh:

@dazzybee, you watched the trailer before downloading this, right?

"Match 3 or more, and you're good to go" That makes it pretty clear what the game involves. :D

What exactly were you expecting? :heh:

I love match three puzzlers or similar. Dr Mario, ZooKeeper, Columns, Pokemon Puzzle League, bejewelled, puzzle quest etc etc That isn't my issue with this game, it's how it does it. In match 3 games, you have to find a potential link and swap them; in this you can literally move them anywhere; there's NOTHING TO THINK ABOUT, there' son puzzles to solve; you literally just move pokemon about... it's mental it is so utterly pointless, I just don't get it! It's like a puzzle game aimed at toddlers... I've never been so dumbfounded by a game!!

I love match three puzzlers or similar. Dr Mario, ZooKeeper, Columns, Pokemon Puzzle League, bejewelled, puzzle quest etc etc That isn't my issue with this game, it's how it does it. In match 3 games, you have to find a potential link and swap them; in this you can literally move them anywhere; there's NOTHING TO THINK ABOUT, there' son puzzles to solve; you literally just move pokemon about... it's mental it is so utterly pointless, I just don't get it! It's like a puzzle game aimed at toddlers... I've never been so dumbfounded by a game!!
Weird.

Are you sure there's no way to increase the challenge, an extra mode or something? :hmm: The way you describe it sounds as if the game almost plays itself!

Weird.

Are you sure there's no way to increase the challenge, an extra mode or something? :hmm: The way you describe it sounds as if the game almost plays itself!

It almost does, it's so dull, you line up 4 pokemon (and it's just a case of doing it, nothing to think about) then make sure 3 lineup, then it goes into LINK MODE where only 2 pokemon need to lineup, it obvious depletes half the board without you needing to move any... I can't express how weird it is...

The CHALLENGE comes from getting highscores, keep the chain going and going, and the chains are worth more if you START with a pokemon which is more effective against the pokemon you're fighting, but I'm making it out to be more interesting than that is. The actually gameplay is so painful... so weird.

I'd love to know how Serbii thinks it's a fantastic game!! Has anyone else downloaded it? Does anyone else have the same bafflement as me?!?!

Linking 5 will attack all the enemies on screen. You also need to take in to consideration type matching which you already mentioned. During Link mode you can try to clear the entire box for a bonus. There may be more mechanics I haven't found out about yet. Haven't bothered going through the tutorial stuff. I must be missing something because I haven't gotten higher than a B rank.

Exactly. The challenge is to capture the Pokémon flawlessly. Yes, you can move Pokémon anywhere (as you can do in many other Match 3 games), however if you don't match more when against multiple Pokémon, or don't keep a combo going, you will lose and you will get attacked.

Unlocking Pokémon and levels is where the challenge is. Having to flawlessly capture a Pokémon with huge health to unlock a level gave me many a frustrated moment

Yeah 5 attacks all Pokemon, and 6 is and even more powerful version of that, but it's not fun or satisfying when you literally just move 5 Pokemon together. In bejewelled, zoo keeper, puzzle quest when you get a 5 link it's incredibly satisfying as it's so rare and you have to really work at making it happen, same for combos, you actually have to think about it to chain them together. But this is just so childlike it's mental requirement it's not fun and most definitely not satisfying, at best it's therapeutic (I've still played it for many hours)... Clearing a link box is the on,y remotely fun challenge, but it's still painfully basic.

Each round is the same, with your first two moves you get the link started, leave it a bit as it wipes out half of your grid automatically, then start matching 2 Pokemon together to try and clear the rest. Repeat to fade.... Shockingly dull.

Just finished 100%ing this game. Great fun, even if some may find the game "easy". Trust me, when you get further into it, you won't be saying that. You do have to be tactical. Trust me.

Just finished 100%ing this game. Great fun, even if some may find the game "easy". Trust me, when you get further into it, you won't be saying that. You do have to be tactical. Trust me.

Explain it to me then, other needing speed, and thinking about which pokemon to start the chain with. It's supposed to be a puzzle game, but there's nothing to think about. Do you genuinely think you'd like it if it wasn't pokemon, because I think it's one of the worst games I have eve played!!

Thanks @dazzybee, saved me £7 there!

Yeah, I certainly wish there was a demo... Though it has decent reviews so it might just be me :D

I've also not mentioned it's one of the cheapest looking games I've seen, the menu, stye complete lack of 3D, the icon, map etc All like it was done in a few weeks...

Sign in to follow this