NEurope
Hero-of-Time

N64 Appreciation Thread

Yeah I didn't complete it I don't think. I can't remembetr the level order now, but I think maybe I got to one outside a shopping mall/toys r us type place or something?... were there toy robots?... I really have no idea now? :p

I have most of those games... when I get back to the UK I may do the N64 nostalgic trip :)

But castlevania 2... Don't remember there being a second one... I had a US N64 and bought the first from a local import shop. Memories...

You've got to get Conker's Bad Fur Day mate. Literally the pinnacle of N64 games imo; I still can't believe they pulled it off on a N64!

I loved this game to bits. The humour is fantastic and typically british. Me and my brother would often go around the house shouting "CONTEXT SENSITIVE" for no reason whatsoever.

This is like the holy grail of N64 games. It's price is constantly going up. I remember last year I was looking at doing this N64 collection and it was only around the £80 mark, but now its £120. Crazy.

Yeah I didn't complete it I don't think. I can't remembetr the level order now, but I think maybe I got to one outside a shopping mall/toys r us type place or something?... were there toy robots?... I really have no idea now? :p

Yeah, I just remember chickens and aliens. I don't think I actually got that far through it to be honest.

I've been doing some N64 appreciation of my own, recently :hehe:

I played through Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon a few weeks ago and the recent release of Yoshi's New Island on 3DS inspired me to delve deeper into Yoshi's Story to open up all of the levels, something I hadn't done since I only rushed through the game once or twice before several years ago :heh:

Mystical Ninja was a solid enough game which tried it's hand at several different things without ever really excelling in anything. In some ways, the game felt like a bit of a combination of Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time but the platforming was never particularly impressive and the adventuring somewhat tame. It's not a game I could ever see myself bothering to go through again but I was happy enough to have experienced it after having it in my collection for a good while now :indeed:

Yoshi's Story is a very different animal but, again, the platforming left was lacklustre. Throughout my time with the game, it never really felt precise enough but, then again, the game didn't particularly require it to be. It also featured something which I have complaint with in other Yoshi games and that is the flutter jump. I dislike the unreliability of it and never feel confident in it taking me as far or as high as I need to go at any given time. Having said all that, I actually had fun with the game and appreciated the ability to take different routes through the game's levels, similar to Lylat Wars, and could see the potential for repeat playthroughs to improve your score. Like Yoshi's Island before it, though, I don't feel interested in hunting out all of the items.. in this case, the melons! I did, however, get both the black and white Yoshi so that was something, at least :grin:

My next venture may involve plucking up the courage to return to Banjo Tooie..

You'll need all your strength to get through Banjo-Tooie. Man, that game was far too big for its own good.

I've only played the N64 once at a retro event. Never owned one, but really enjoyed playing the original smash bros and Pokemon stadium.

I have most of those games... when I get back to the UK I may do the N64 nostalgic trip :)

But castlevania 2... Don't remember there being a second one... I had a US N64 and bought the first from a local import shop. Memories...

There is Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, which is more of an expansion than a proper sequel. It even includes the whole first game basically.

I struggled to even play Banjo Tooie, so i wish thee luck with that.

I didn't get around to Banjo Tooie today :heh:

Instead, I played through some of the scenarios on ISS 64 and had an absolute blast. Instant fun.. it was genuinely amazing :yay:

I didn't get around to Banjo Tooie today :heh:

Instead, I played through some of the scenarios on ISS 64 and had an absolute blast. Instant fun.. it was genuinely amazing :yay:

Omg yes the scenarios were incredible...

I've been having a bit of N64 revisit myself. Played some F-Zero X that game is still fantastic and fast. I'm definitely gonna play through it from beginning to end again at some point.

Considering the fact that I've been playing ISS 64, I've been reminiscing about that era and remembering how amazing Saturdays were as a kid :yay:

You'd start the morning with this..

Football Italia would then be followed by heading out to our wee football pitch at the bottom of the garden, or at my friends' house up the road, and playing some epic 2 v 2 football matches. These generally consisted of encounters between Livergers and Juve United, names which were assigned due to me supporting Liverpool and a friend following Rangers, whilst my brother was a Man United fan and my other friend supported Juventus :yay: We played 'first to 20' with half time coming when one of the us scored 10. An absolutely incredible time of my life and I'll forever cherish it :love:

Anyway, after we'd play for a few hours we'd often come inside and play the N64 of PS1, usually resulting in the following..

It almost brings a tear to the eye!

New additions have arrived!

image_zps32edac1d.jpg

image_zps62119536.jpg

image_zps0d088895.jpg

image_zps7e38f5fa.jpg

They all came from the same seller and are in immaculate condition. Well happy with these purchases.

image_zps32edac1d.jpg

image_zps62119536.jpg

image_zps0d088895.jpg

image_zps7e38f5fa.jpg

They all came from the same seller and are in immaculate condition. Well happy with these purchases.

That must have cost you a bit

Sold my mint condition Zelda for £25 when I got it on the 3DS.

That must have cost you a bit

Sold my mint condition Zelda for £25 when I got it on the 3DS.

Yeah, just over £100 for the lot. Quite the bargain as these would have gone for a lot more than that if they had gone to auction. Zelda OOT would have been around £30-40, Majoras Mask £60, Banjo Kazooie £30 and Mario Kart £40.

Mario Kart is hard to find in this condition and the price has been slowly rising for it, probably due to the imminent release of Mario Kart 8. Saying that, the prices for most the N64 games seem to be going through the roof lately. Conker used to go for around £100, yet now it's pushing £200. South Park in good condition is going for around £40, it used to be £20.

It's crazy how these prices are going up all of a sudden. It's not as if there are any less of these games cropping up on ebay. Guess it's just a period of people wanting N64 stuff at the moment. If you look at SNES stuff that has actually went down in price in recent times.

I guess I picked the wrong year to get a N64 collection sorted. :D

As soon as you turn Mario Kart 64 on and hear the intro with the Nintendo logo followed by the title screen you'll be transported back in time.. and you'll wish you were a kid again :heh:

Those are great purchases, @Hero\-of\-Time :hehe: I would say that Majora's Mask is probably the one game I feel that I'm missing from my N64 collection (well, maybe Paper Mario too :indeed:)

I have Paper Mario on the Wii VC, which will suffice, but The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition version of Majora's Mask doesn't seem to be enticing me back to finish it after so long away from it and that has left me begging for a remake on 3DS, similar to Ocarina of Time.

As soon as you turn Mario Kart 64 on and hear the intro with the Nintendo logo followed by the title screen you'll be transported back in time.. and you'll wish you were a kid again :heh:

Those are great purchases, @Hero\-of\-Time :hehe: I would say that Majora's Mask is probably the one game I feel that I'm missing from my N64 collection (well, maybe Paper Mario too :indeed:)

I have Paper Mario on the Wii VC, which will suffice, but The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition version of Majora's Mask doesn't seem to be enticing me back to finish it after so long away from it and that has left me begging for a remake on 3DS, similar to Ocarina of Time.

I honestly cannot wait to get stuck into these classics. Mario Kart will be first as I wouldn't mind playing through that before 8 hits. Zelda OOT and Majoras Mask will be next and then followed by Banjo Kazooie.

All of this will have to wait though as I refuse to get distracted while I'm playing Xenoblade. The game is gonna fall by my hand this time...I can feel it!

image_zps32edac1d.jpg

image_zps62119536.jpg

image_zps0d088895.jpg

image_zps7e38f5fa.jpg

bkwKq.gif

I don't know what it is, but there's something about that Majora's Mask box. A God tier boxart if I ever saw one.

OK...I finally caved in and bought an Everdrive64. The idea of playing new goldeneye maps/ single player stages was cool. But when it recently emerged that Mario64 user created games may also be played on N64’s with Memory Expansion Pak's I thought why not. I adore the N64 so this seemed like a great way to get back into the system in a new and cool way.

I'm now considering getting into modding the console to look better on a HDTV (or just buying an upscaler) as well as looking to get some of the Hori controllers that are more akin to modern day console controllers.

Exciting times. Still a beast of a console with so a any classics and a surprisingly buoyant community albeit primarily focused on Goldeneye.

Hero, I'm surprised you don't already have all these games? What happened?

Hero, I'm surprised you don't already have all these games? What happened?

I sold them all due to being young and needing to fund other consoles. It wasn't until the Cube era, where I had a job and could afford stuff, that I started to keep my Nintendo games.

OK...I finally caved in and bought an Everdrive64.

Where did you order it from?

Inspired by lostmario posting his retro collection I figured I would get an update posted in this thread.

At the start of the year I started my N64 collection. I cooled down about with the collecting at the middle of the year but over the past few months I once again started to pick up a few games here and there.

Here's what I ended up getting.

image_zpse2c397f7.jpg

image_zpsd1668430.jpg

image_zps480b267b.jpg

image_zps72cad99e.jpg

This may get replaced at some point. The condition is pretty good but man the box sinks of smoke. I usually ask if the game comes from a smoke free home but I must not have asked on this occasion.

image_zpsac2d9241.jpg

image_zpse8a4ba7e.jpg

I ended up picking up these two up around the time of the Rogue Squadron Collection leak happened. I was really in the mood to play the original again and Pod Racer was part of the bundle as well.

image_zpseb60ec7f.jpg

Here it is. The holy grail for a lot of N64 collectors. I got it for a great price but it still cost a lot.

I'm actually in the middle of a play through of it and it's still as funny as it's always was. The scouser beetle, which I totally forgot about, had me in stitches. The night club music was typical dance music of that era. Love it. :D

After a year of collecting i'm sitting on 23 games now. I'm hoping I can get it finished off next year. It should be a lot easier on the wallet as I now have the two most expensive games ( Conker and Mario Party 3 ) on the shelf.