NEurope
Jamba

Why N-Europe?

I've been mulling this over a lot recently and I suppose this is my question:

Why do you come to N-Europe.com?

The answer may seem obvious on a superficial level but I'm sure everyone has their own slightly different reasons. I think most people come for the forums but are you and avid front page reader?

Do you come here to find people similar to you, or perhaps to find those with differing opinions? Are you here simply to squeeeeeee at Nintendo stuff and express your happiness?

What would make come here more? Why do you come here rather than anywhere else? Who are those members of the community that make it all worth it?

Answers on the back of a postcard! :geek:

Mostly the people. I like being in a close knit group of people with very similar interests. As you know, I'm a head of a massive community, and while that's awesome, I don't get the sense of camaraderie, not even with the staff as much, due to the position I'm in.

As such, it's great to be here with cool people talking about Nintendo. Sure, there's a rift between people here due to Nintendo's recent happenings, but I still fully enjoy this place, no matter how frustrating it can get :)

All the other Nintendo forums i've tried have either been dead, or full of mean-spirited dickheads who basically tried to make me feel stupid for anything i posted.

I come to N-Europe because it's a nice forum to be in. The people are nice, reasonable and interesting, and that's all I want to see when I want to relax online. Like a nice bar.

Considering everything, I won't be acquiring a 3DS or a Wii U in the near future, but I'm still interested in the occasional news, and N-E is pretty good with this. No baseless rumours or anything similar, only stuff that matters.

It's got many different personalities that can change the course of a conversation. It's got a vibe to it that many other web forums just do not have, and that is why i keep coming here.

I think of N-Europe like a village, populated by people who share similar interests and where conversations seemingly never end. There is always something to talk about, be it good or bad.

I love the people here. Simple as that, really. I'm actually interested in them and want to know what's happening with them, be it good or bad.

Habit, familiarity, the fact it doesn't automatically stretch across the entire width of the window.

It's the only forum that seems to have a decent community with personality. Other ones are either dead or are too busy to keep up with.

Here I always have something interesting opinions/funny witty comments to read.

I was new to the internet and was looking for news on the upcoming GameCube. I found N64-Europe.com and used it for news. After a year or so (when it was Cube-Europe), I signed up.

10 years later, I'm still here.

The reason I still come back now is probably mostly for the people. I originally joined after lurking front page longtime, then the Wii was coming, and I was so excited I just had to join and talk to people about it(I was so pumped for Wii there was a building I could see from the uni lab that looked like a giant wii...so I joined in the middle of my lab class lol).

One thing I noticed fairly quickly was that it was very welcoming and unlike a lot of other forums - there didn't seem to be as much dickishness or ego and everyone really seemed to get on. One bizarre thing I guess I noticed with time(as I grew comfortable and ventured out of Nintendo) was actually how thriving Gen Chit Chat was, compared with the gaming boards - N-E had this whole other thriving section, with some people who weren't even in the gaming boards - and it had threads and conversations about all sorts of interesting things. Discussions tended to be fairly respectful and appreciative of the other sides, too - again not so common on a lot of internet forums back then.

Then came 2008 and the first(? i think) london meetup which I attended half on a whim, meeting a few folks and being amazed and how cool and normal that was - I met j7+friend first and twozzok shortly after and me and jay had some srsballs conversations right off the bad but the weirdest thing was just how weird it wasn't. Of course we've had a meetup or two every year since. Forums have that aspect of social media that makes it so popular, and I think that keeps people coming back if it's good.

Anyhow, with time you just grow to know everyone I guess(new and old). I've been here/known people here longer than a number of friends 'in real life'(7 years and counting?). I've always loved N-E for its good community, and it's a massive part of my life - as some of my friends are aware. I don't think I post as much as I used to but I still spend a lot of time reading the things that people contribute. To think I'm a newb compared to most, too.

tl;dr - I WUV U GAIZ <3 <3 (even you, ReZ)

I love the people here. Simple as that, really. I'm actually interested in them and want to know what's happening with them, be it good or bad.

Cheers bro! ;)

I haven't visited the home page is ages, I can't even remember what it looks like. I signed up around 2002/2003 just before the GameCube came out, was made a mod of a few forums in 2005/2006, resigned a few years later because my interest in gaming was lacking and was made a Veteran instead which apparently means I get full access to every forum. Although I'm not a mod I enjoy giving my opinion to the forum matters discussed behind the scenes.

Like Animal, I come here because I'm actually interested in the people and what's going on in their lives. I couldn't care less about Nintendo these days and my only gaming comes in the form of Battlefield and COD. I've been here for so long I just keep coming back.

I'm coming up for my 12,000th post since the forums re-launched in 2005 and had been toying with the thought of just making that last post and disappearing but I think that we all know that won't happen.

I also want to win the X11 league one more time.

I also want to win the X11 league one more time.

Looks like you'll be around for a while longer then.

Oooooooooooooooh, SNAP!

Mostly the people. I like being in a close knit group of people with very similar interests. As you know, I'm a head of a massive community, and while that's awesome, I don't get the sense of camaraderie, not even with the staff as much, due to the position I'm in.

As such, it's great to be here with cool people talking about Nintendo. Sure, there's a rift between people here due to Nintendo's recent happenings, but I still fully enjoy this place, no matter how frustrating it can get :)

Wait you are? You never mentioned it....

Anyway why N-Europe? This site is 16 years old I've been visiting it for 14/15 of those years so it kind of been my home away from home. However in recent times I don't really feel that same way. I guess nostalgia keeps me around but I've found other forums and recently twitter has become a real hive for me interacting with podcast listeners etc... much more so than any dedicated gaming forum.

I was introduced to the forum by Gaggle64. Seemed like a nice place so I stuck around. Plus I tend to get allot of abuse when I post on other forums which I don't really get here.

i discovered N- Europe whilst browsing for Mario Kart Wii forums, got involved in the Mario Kart league, @lostmario you legend, and I've been here ever since.

I've been here since the N64-Europe days.

Same here.

I joined up back in the day as I was looking for a place to discuss Nintendo gaming. I've tried to escape many times and thought demodding myself would help me with this....it didn't. Congrats on those who managed to cut all ties to the place. :D

I've had some good banter over the years, it's just a shame we have lost a few of my favourite members, such as darksnowman, Tellyn, Stocka and Jordan, to name a few. :(

I tend to just stick to the gaming side of things. I dabble with the Anime thread and lurk in the footy thread ( don't like posting in there, too hardcore) but i'm mainly here for the gaming crack. It's why I joined up. Although there is less and less of it these days...

While I wish we would have more members, I do like how close we all are on here. I love Gaf for my gaming news but it's too big and impersonal to get to know anyone.

How do people feel about the community here then? Is it somewhere you feel personally connected, like real friends just separated by the internet, or is it more of a common interest thing? You know, like talking to people who understand or have a similar perspective to you?

Also what do you think is your social "function" (for want of a better term!) in the forum? How do you see yourself?

Do you feel close enough to people here to call out for help if needed? Is it a place that you can rely on?

Because the people......

291_54631590580_4000_n.jpg

291_54631635580_6562_n.jpg

291_54631840580_6217_n.jpg

1271_107686775580_6160_n.jpg

5240_213234065580_785147_n.jpg

7616_257394445580_6277387_n.jpg

13933_305343415580_7700884_n.jpg

38021_10150218107740581_4532458_n.jpg?lvh=1

37906_10150218108500581_5034065_n.jpg

44842_10150235942940581_6387915_n.jpg

283922_10150720551350581_7019238_n.jpg

271059_10150720573810581_7490004_n.jpg

310684_10150885090010581_431844070_n.jpg

946735_10152822479930581_1230031479_n.jpg

532852_10151744374620581_1653755073_n.jpg

481977_10151889468790581_338404055_n.jpg

531786_10153074179085581_951906027_n.jpg

1001690_10153074193785581_1261824342_n.jpg

....Are not only people I consider true friends, but they are people I respect, people I admire, people I can laugh with, feel comfortable with and they are people who go so far (sometimes crossing continents) just to spend time with me, lend me a helping hand, advice or just fuck around with.

Though some may come and some may go, each of them had some kind of impact and contributed to memories. I've had many intimate moments with some (Goafer) the pleasure of chilling with "let's grab a lunch" with others (Daft) and even creating comedy partnerships with others (SPAMBOT4000), so these are real, genuine people that have...absolutely effected my life and my happiness.

So yeah it's the people.

972113_10153074190630581_1033451162_n.jpg

How do people feel about the community here then? Is it somewhere you feel personally connected, like real friends just separated by the internet, or is it more of a common interest thing? You know, like talking to people who understand or have a similar perspective to you?

Also what do you think is your social "function" (for want of a better term!) in the forum? How do you see yourself?

Do you feel close enough to people here to call out for help if needed? Is it a place that you can rely on?

I don't know where I'd say my 'place' is in the community, but I definitely feel personally connected to a number of people like real friends. It isn't just common interest, it's sensibly minded people who I respect greatly for that, just as I do my friends. As close to a 'place' atm, I felt absolutely chuffed and honoured when I was even given the privilege to possibly contribute positively as a moderator for the forums too, though to be honest you guys make the job pretty easy to do :p

I'll wholeheartedly second @ReZourceman's post, too. Like Animal said, I care about the people here and the things that happen in their lives. I cherish the annual London meetup(even though it's not set in stone) and almost all my other 'irl' friends know it happens now and that it's a big deal for me(as well as attending :p); I'm even missing my cousin's stag weekend just to allow me another free weekend around that time in case I need it.

There's an escape here too. Do I feel close enough to call out for help - well, in what aspect? Is it a place I can rely on? Yeah, I think it is. Sometimes I post and talk about things here that I don't talk about elsewhere - I get mildly told of by some of my friends for being quite private about my business sometimes(that's just kinda how I am with some things); little do they know they could find some secrets tucked away on here! Of course as I've extended the forums to some of those friends that's changed a bit, but on the whole it's still a place that has a part of me that no one else really does.

I used to post here a lot about 10-12 years ago, but then I kinda disappeared. My interest in gaming is not as strong as it used to be. But now I post here and there, and it's nice to see this place still attracts cool people. I suppose I still visit this place because it was the first forum I joined, and my first experience of the social side of the Internet.

When I first came back here I hardly recognised any names. Or maybe I've just forgotten? The amount of cool people who used to post here and have disappeared is very sad.

Whilst I'm on a nostalgia trip I thought I'd throw out some names I've not seen in a while.

Piro

Largo

Fordprefect

Schpickles

Cartman401

Athriller

Zeikfried

Apple NdiB

Fred (I forget his username)

Haver

The Surrealist

Space

FEF

Gualtiero

Johelian

Spieluhr

Tim

Jim

Sven

Christ the Great

Domstercool

Offerman

Kingofunrealuk

Ian1969uk

Jav

Laikmosh

And the nights spent chatting on irc, good times.