NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Here's the Nintendo UK trailer

It's a bit concerning when Sonic and Knuckles tails shows between their legs at 0:25 and 0:47 :woops:

That trailer is bloody awful what did they do?!!!

EDIT:

Also this:

Big Red Button Entertainment was founded by ex-Naughty Dog veterans Bob Rafei and Dan Arey in February 2008.

With no projects having been released what the hell have they been doing since 2008?!

The cartoon looks good. The designs would be acceptable if not for Knuckles looking so... uncanny.

Gameplay-wise, it's a matter of time to see how it turns out. But if they're ex-Naughty Dog, I guess there's no cause for alarm.

I think this looks interesting. The only thing really putting me off is how long the characters legs are. Shorten them a little and they would look grand. (Except maybe Knuckles...)

Certainly more intrigued by this than Lost World.

So it turns out this was shown last year:

- Sonic Boom is a Wii U/3DS exclusive

- prequel to the new Sonic CG TV show

- Wii U version being developed by Big Red Button, a team led by former Naughty Dog staff

- Been in development for 2 years

- utilizes the CryEngine 3

- characters have been completely redesigned to fit the new aesthetic and engine

- Eggman has gotten a makeover as well

- characters will have specialties based on their strengths and personalities

- Knuckles will focus on strength

- Tails will utilize gadgets

- Amy Rose will have agility

- Sonic will have speed

- Wii U game includes an energy bungee cord power

- four playable characters total in local co-op (no online)

- at least two of them will be on screen at all times, even in single-player

- swap between characters on the fly

- 3DS version in development by Sanzaru

Sounds promising to me!

Edited by Lens of Truth

No online co-op is a bit rubbish. No self-respecting co-op platformer should be without online co-op.

Not particularly interrested in this game yet. Although I am getting an urge to buy Sonic Lost Worlds for some reason.

The trailer however looks absolutely gorgeous. Had this been a launch-title for the Wii U, noone would've doubted the console's power. Too bad this may be too little too late.

"Sonic will have speed"

As will all of them by the look of that trailer. Good to see Sonic has his niche.

I enjoyed Lost World and I have no doubts I'll be buying this. The new character designs are not as awful as people are making them out to be, they're more funny and weird than truly bad.

Sonic's blue arms are the strangest part for me. So hard to get used to.

To me, this is Sonic..

SONIC07--article_image.jpg

Why must SEGA continuously make these horrendous design choices? ::shrug:

How old were you when that design appeared? They are not targeting your age group remember, they're targeting the kids of today.

I've tried over and over again to enjoy the modern Sonic games. Closest I came was Generations and that was still only above average and mostly because nostalgia. Colours not so much. Of course the GBA games were excellent but that was so long ago now.

This franchise needs a totally fresh approach. I'm not sure this is going to recapture my childhood or anything, but it could at least be a good game for a change.

I actually kind of like this approach.

It's true what @Shorty says, this is somewhat of a reinvention of the series for the kids of today... and the approach they've taken of seemingly turning them into a TMHT-esque coloured gang of four, each with their own set of skills and assets, to me it works.

My biggest objection to the Knuckles design is less that they've bulked him up, because actually I kinda like the design and I think it fits in well with the rest of the group... but actually more to do with the attributes that go with such a character i.e. slow, heavy, almost cumbersome at times, but powerful. I love Knuckles for his gliding and almost martial arts style, but I fear here he will be more about heavy lifting and hitting :hmm:

- four playable characters total in local co-op (no online)

Targeting the kids of today who practically live online?

Or am I thinking of slightly older kids than what they're aiming for?

How old were you when that design appeared? They are not targeting your age group remember, they're targeting the kids of today.

I would have been 4 when Sonic the Hedgehog arrived on the Mega Drive : peace:

For me, Nintendo have managed to keep delivering that style that I grew up with while Sega have constantly changed to try to appeal to the tastes of today.

Maybe that's why Nintendo aren't 'cool' any more.. :indeed:

With the extremely shaky post-Megadrive Sonic games, I always have to raise an eyebrow when they announce a new one.

I actually enjoyed Colours, but it was not without its significant flaws. Fun at times, but still with serious design issues.

I still can't see when they didn't do a proper disk based New Super Mario Bros style return to 2D Sonic. Surely that would have sold better and actually been what the fans wanted!

With the extremely shaky post-Megadrive Sonic games, I always have to raise an eyebrow when they announce a new one.

I actually enjoyed Colours, but it was not without its significant flaws. Fun at times, but still with serious design issues.

I still can't see when they didn't do a proper disk based New Super Mario Bros style return to 2D Sonic. Surely that would have sold better and actually been what the fans wanted!

I wouldn't buy a 2D Sonic, but I might buy a 3D Sonic, so it wouldn't sell to me.

I think it's a very good point that maybe we just aren't the market anymore.

Do SEGA want to produce a 2D Sonic for the older gamer with nostalgia still kicking around within, or do they want to go after the younger gamers? I very much doubt 2D Sonic is a game many teenagers would be all that interested in...

Didn't Sonic Dash on mobiles sell really well?

Maybe Sega could do what Nintendo are doing and running both a 2D and a 3D series of Sonic, but then they have been with the remakes on Virtual Console, and include large 2D sections within their 3D games of late probably to try and appease both fans, when if it was up to them they would probably prefer to go the 3D route. For whatever reason they just struggle to get it right/realise what worked well.

With Sonic Team still developing Sonic 'as we know it', I think it's exciting to see what a new western studio can do with it. Let's give it a chance.

I think this looks really good and exciting!

The fact that I'm not attached to any of the sonic characters or games obviously helps, but the designs aren't bad.

I love the way the landscapes look, and I've been craving for a decent 3D platformer lately (that isn't mario).

I really hope this turns out well, and I would definitely consider buying this.

Having watched the Game Xplain analysis the game actually looks quite fun and Knuckles' design is starting to grow on me :D

It's a shame there isn't online multiplayer, I can never get friends around just to play Sonic lol

Im actually surprised that the MegaDrive games have yet to be placed on the Wii U virtual console.

I'm actually quite excited for this game atm.

The developers behind this new studio give me a lot of confidence... I always enjoyed the hub/adventuring parts of Sonic Adventure... and I like the idea of the Sonic characters being used for more of an exploration/collectathon style game within Mario64/Banjo Kazooie style worlds, as a side series.

Am I the only one finding this Cryengine trailer less then spectacular? So many sry crap games make the engine look worse than Ps2, in the end it always comes down to design not the engine....