NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Sonic Boom cartoon makes Knuckles' jump glitch canon

[TWEET]559003480707190785[/TWEET]

See? I wanna say that's pretty cool. But haven't they fixed that glitch?

So this is... Really confusing...

See? I wanna say that's pretty cool. But haven't they fixed that glitch?

So this is... Really confusing...

The "Knuckles flying into space" is Knuckles telling a ridiculous story in the show. The pause screen was added later. The "made it canon" bit is just a joke.

Why the Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric patch is so huge

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric’s update is huge – as in 1GB huge. So what exactly is included in the massive patch? We did hear about a few things recently, but Sonic Stadium has*offered further information as to why the update is so big.

Here’s what the site shared:

The cutscene where Lyric takes control of Metal Sonic has been updated with different lighting effects. Strangely enough this is the only updated cutscene.

The controller diagrams in the pause menu have been updated with some slightly different colouration; for instance, blue rings around the home menu.

Six levels have changes to them: Cliff’s Excavation Site, Bygone Island, Tomb of Lyric, Lyric’s Weapons Factory (past), Crater Lake, and the Ocean Purification Plant. FWIW, each level is stored in a single massive .stream file, which means any changes to the level necessitates including an entire new .stream file for that level in the patch data. The new .streams for these six levels adds up to over 1GB; that’s why the patch is so big. I don’t know specifically what they changed in those levels.

New executable file; this is where all the hardcoded bugfixes are.

Sonic Stadium goes on to say that making even one modification to a level means the update must include all data from that original file including changes since collisions/other data are stored in giant stream files. If the developers were to add one ring to a stage comprised of a 200MB file, the patch would be 200MB plus the data for that one ring. It’s a sign that Rise of Lyric may have been poorly programmed, and if there are any other updates in the future, they would probably be huge as well.

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-the-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-patch-is-so-huge/

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/01/this-is-why-the-sonic-boom-patch-is-so-huge/

I think that video looks worse with the patch.

I downloaded the 3DS Sonic Boom demo before, mainly for shits and gigs, and for curiosity.

It is actually quite good. :laughing:

When I say good, I mean not the pile of shit everyone makes it out to be.

I didn't expect it to be a 2d style game and there are parts of it that feel like classic Sonic as you get a speed boost and dash through the level, round loop de loops before jumping and homing in on a succession of enemies to reach the next platform.

They're short lived, but nice!

Apparently, the reason for the low scores for the 3DS version is because the levels are very long and can be boring. I must admit, I played the first level and wondered what I was doing but the aim is to collect shards of crystal and blue prints found in different sections. You use all the different characters abilities that are at your disposal to reach parts others can't to find them.

Problem is, you have to find them all in every level before you progress to the next. :blank:

And the map on the bottom screen is completely awful so you can't even see where you need to go properly.

There are some special stages that are very similar to Sonic 2's special stages which is massively welcome!

When this goes below a tenner (sure it will!) I think I'll pick it up!

I'd say it was a case of any publicity is good publicity.

Sonic '06 had that same effect, it was so bad, people had to see for themselves.

Sonic Boom: Where Did It All Go Wrong?

So many lies and it seems we've got SEGA and Nintendo really to blame for this game being a mess, not Big Red Button.

I'm baffled by those sales figures, I thought it was a commercial bomb?

For a Sonic game, it IS a commercial bomb...

So many lies and it seems we've got SEGA and Nintendo really to blame for this game being a mess, not Big Red Button.

I do feel bad for the conditions that BRB were undoubtedly lumped with, but the shift in platform mainly pertains to the game's technical issues. It doesn't really explain the rest of the game's generally poor gameplay design (outside of parts being cut)

Even if they had the time to polish it up, with the direction they were taking with this game, it would've ended up mediocre at best anyway.

Edited by Dcubed

Oh will the LIIIIES never end!!

For the record the 3DS one wasn't too bad.

Sonic Boom: Where Did It All Go Wrong?

I fail to see how any of that is Nintendo's fault.

Firstly, games nearly always look better on their reveal than they do when we get them. MRC on the N64, Resident Evil 4 on the GC, Aliens on the 360 and Watchdogs on the PS4 all looked much better in their pre-release forms.

When games are optimised for the console they are being made for sacrifices are nearly always made to get them running smoothly.

Sega did indeed put the game on a console that isn't compatible with the engine they initially used, but Sonic Boom is hardly pushing the limits of the Wii U - in either game play for graphical terms.

The blame largely lies with Big Red Button, they simply made a poor game. Even if the game ran better, had less bugs and the graphics were slightly better the game would still have been medicore at best.

1. Nintendo should have made better hardware to allow for easier porting. And that goes for all third party games. It's a large reason why most never bothered, it's too much of a headache.
  2. They also paid for this exclusive. They should have told SEGA, we've paid for this, for once in your life don't rush a Sonic game out before it's ready. If they'd given BRB more time it could have been better.
  3. They greenlit the trailer released which showed the graphics looking far better than the finished product, the only direction from there was down.

Anyway, what's done is done and can't be undone.

1. Nintendo should have made better hardware to allow for easier porting. And that goes for all third party games. It's a large reason why most never bothered, it's too much of a headache.
  2. They also paid for this exclusive. They should have told SEGA, we've paid for this, for once in your life don't rush a Sonic game out before it's ready. If they'd given BRB more time it could have been better.
  3. They greenlit the trailer released which showed the graphics looking far better than the finished product, the only direction from there was down.

Anyway, what's done is done and can't be undone.

Come on, the Wii U has some amazing games and some of the nicest looking games ever made. The hardware is more than capable, which makes me think BRB aren't.

Nintendo weren't in charge of this, Sega were.

Finally, I would understand your anger if it was a franchise that was known for pumping out top quality AAA titles that sold systems. But the last time Sonic was known for that level of quality was on the Mega Drive. To me, Sonic Boom being poor was par foe the course with a Sonic game.

I think the blame lies with Sega and BRB. Again, another cock up with a once great Sega franchise. You just like to blame Nintendo for everything and anything.

All these beautiful games are from Nintendo and I would expect so, it's their platform so they know the ins and outs better than anyone else. It's 3rd party exclusives aren't system pushing.

Yes SEGA are most at fault but Nintendo aren't blameless. I don't particularly care because as you say Sonic's been dead since the Mega Drive with a few exceptions like Sonic Colours.

I don't like to blame Nintendo for everything and anything but they're responsible for the situation they're in and deserving of criticism.

Sonic Boom is a cartoon tie-in. At best, it would have been like the Pac-Man cartoon game.

All these beautiful games are from Nintendo and I would expect so, it's their platform so they know the ins and outs better than anyone else. It's 3rd party exclusives aren't system pushing.

Yes SEGA are most at fault but Nintendo aren't blameless. I don't particularly care because as you say Sonic's been dead since the Mega Drive with a few exceptions like Sonic Colours.

I don't like to blame Nintendo for everything and anything but they're responsible for the situation they're in and deserving of criticism.

Well, I've played plenty of beautiful 3rd party games on the Wii U. I thought Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and Assassins Creed 3 were all gorgeous and all third party efforts!

This game was shit because of three main factors: BRB, Sega and Sonic. Put those factors together, it was always going to turn out that way.

Also, for the record, I enjoyed Sonic Lost World. Thought it had some great ideas and mainly played out very well. It was dogged by poor tutorials (ie you didn't always know what you were meant to be doing) and some terrible difficulty curves. But it looked great and when you figured it out, it mostly played well too.

Sonic Boom though - even the good bits looked pants.