NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Looks like a shitty licensed game based off a Saturday morning cartoon... Oh wait...

Oh man, that looks so much worse than I was expecting :( I actually had fairly high hopes for this.

I could barely make it through the entire video! And for gods sake, I wish they'd finally decide if they're going for 2D or 3D - I'm so sick of flipping between the two now.

The gameplay looks half-decent and I enjoy immensely terrible jokes. Although the flow of the characters looks rather odd and it seems like the sound is a voice over rather than the characters.

Yikes, the combat looks...yikes.

Reminds me of Knack, which is hardly a good thing. Knack combat is so repetitive and mindless.

The transitions between animations are terrible, they seem to jump from one position to another, this has got a while to release though so I'm guessing stuff like that can be ironed out.

The voice overs were the hardest part for me :P Sonic had come such a long way and distanced itself from the days of awful voice acting and (whilst a guilty pleasure) terrible rock music with Generations and Colours, but they've just completely reverted to their old ways.

They've even started sprouting out new, terrible characters, something I thought they were done with forever! I wouldn't be surprised if they just go all out and have a spin-off character of Big the cat.

Tbf because this is based off a new cartoon it was always going to include new characters. Ok they didn't necessarily have to be playable, but it somewhat makes sense.

It really does seem like they've mashed the Hedgehog and Werehog sections of Unleashed into one gameplay experience and yet neither aspect here looks anywhere near as good as the individual components it seems to ape - I didn't mind the Werehog on the HD games even if it was out of place.

The three boss battles were borderline identical in terms of tactics and I can't be the only person put off by the lack of shadows in those interior sections. I know it's small thing but it looks lazy when so little is going on on screen anyway.

I normally get a fair amount of enjoyment out of even the most derided of Sonic games but I fear I may have finally found my match in this.

Tbf because this is based off a new cartoon it was always going to include new characters. Ok they didn't necessarily have to be playable, but it somewhat makes sense.

Yeah, you're right. And honestly, whilst the voice-overs and general look of the game piss me off, it probably appeals to kids more than most Sonic games have in the past 10 years. I sometimes forget that games aren't always specifically aimed at me, I guess that applies to this Sonic game more than ever with it being a kind of tie-in with the new TV show.

Yeah, you're right. And honestly, whilst the voice-overs and general look of the game piss me off, it probably appeals to kids more than most Sonic games have in the past 10 years. I sometimes forget that games aren't always specifically aimed at me, I guess that applies to this Sonic game more than ever with it being a kind of tie-in with the new TV show.

If a new Sonic games doesn't appeal to a massive Sonic fan (you've got to be the biggest here) in anyway shape or form, then I'm sorry but there is something wrong.

If a Sonic game isn't aimed at Sonic fans, why does it even need to be Sonic in the first place? Sonic fans will be put off and others won't know who Sonic is.

If a Sonic game isn't aimed at Sonic fans, why does it even need to be Sonic in the first place? Sonic fans will be put off and others won't know who Sonic is.

What if the Sonic Boom TV show is your first experience of Sonic? or makes you interested in Sonic.

The cartoon isn't really meant for us either.

What if the Sonic Boom TV show is your first experience of Sonic? or makes you interested in Sonic.

I guess if it's your first experience, Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog will likely go on to become treasured memories if you can get past them having little in common with the thing that made you interested in the first place - Sonic Boom. It depends how far the deviate with this being a spin off but I don't hold out much hope.

Sonic X was hardly aimed at me but I could appreciate what they were trying to do. This looks like an attempt at try and create a new "spunky" Sonic in line with the Skylanders image for the purpose of building that same gaming environment of plastic tat for kids. But I doubt it will ever get that far.

Edited by Captain Falcon

That's really no excuse in my book. Good entertainment is recognisable no matter what age group it's directed at. It's like when people defend something by saying it's "just a dumb action" but there's absolutely such a thing as a good dumb action movie and a bad one. I watched the 2 minute clip of the show and and wanted to brain myself I was that bored but I could happily go watch multiple episodes of the old Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon because it's actually a decently written, well paced show. Today's generation is the one growing up on smart sharp shows like Adventure Time, Gravity Falls and MLP:FiM, I'm struggling to imagine which kid is going to retain a show like Sonic Boom with any of those shows being broadcast anywhere near it.

Also the constant quips in the game clip made we want to go put my fist through something innocent and undeserving. I have no particular affinity for Sonic but this whole project looks like a wretched disappointment after Colours & Generations actually turned out to be decent games.

Edited by gaggle64

What a shocker. I wish I could I say I'm surprised but bad Sonic games are expected these days.

The voiceovers are so cringyworthy.

Sonic games aren't bad these days!! Gosh, Sonic 2006 tarnished the 3D Sonic name so much. I can't name a bad game since Unleashed, and that wasn't bad in the eyes of many. Then again... this could very well prove you all right again so we'll just wait and see.

Isn't that new badguy basically the merchant from Starfox Adventures :P

The 3DS version actually looks like it could be the better one.

Being an exclusive it's quite surprising Nintendo chose to distance themselves from this game at E3, with it not showing up for a demo in the Treehouse at any point. Of course to us it looks pants, but still.

I'm willing to give the game a chance, whether I get it day one or wait for the price drop. Seems to be a hybrid of Adventure and Heroes.

Tried playing the Wii U version at Nintendo's event the other day. Pressed the start button, waited thirty seconds while it loaded and gave up.

The 3DS version was kind of generic, but didn't play it for long enough to really judge.

Gamescom trailer.

Shadow and Metal Sonic designs.

14911015962_19b1b5a9e0.jpg

14911371725_58151deb00.jpg

Box art.

Bu_oAJfIQAA78Ib.jpg

Bu_pGsIIgAI0r4X.png

3DS version release date 21st Nov.

So is lanky Sonic & Co. a permanent design change, or is it just for this Sonic Boom malarkey?

'cos it looks ridiculous. :heh:

So is lanky Sonic & Co. a permanent design change, or is it just for this Sonic Boom malarkey?

'cos it looks ridiculous. :heh:

This is an American reboot of Sonic, separate to the main Sonic games. If Sonic Boom is successful, we may see more Sonic Boom stuff, but Sonic Team will be using regular Sonic.

Shadow looks female.

"Equal Unbelievable Adventure"... what does that even mean?

Compared to Knuckles, everyone does.

Hmmm... Maybe it means that the amount of equality in this game is so unbelievable that it's an adventure in itself?

Yeah... I don't care about this game one bit.

Shadow looks female.

"Equal Unbelievable Adventure"... what does that even mean?

I think they missed an "s":

No boundaries plus unlikely allies equals unbelievable adventure.

Even than, it isn't the best grammar due to the lack of "an".