NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Ah, thought this was going to be the third exclusive game. Unless they aren't doing that anymore.

Ah, thought this was going to be the third exclusive game. Unless they aren't doing that anymore.

Wouldn't surprise me if the third game in the deal was actually the allowing of Sonic to be in Super Smash Bros

Nintendo can't even keep an exclusive that they paid for...

It's the Capcom 5 all over again... (Sonic Lost Exclusive?)

Edited by Dcubed

It's the Capcom 5 all over again...

If there is another game, would Nintendo not be the ones to reveal it, not SEGA in merchandise fairs?

It's the Capcom 5 all over again...

I wish! :p that led to some amazing games! exclusive/timed/or not.

If there is another game, would Nintendo not be the ones to reveal it, not SEGA in merchandise fairs?

Iwata already said that they secured three exclusive Sonic games. Those were literally the words that came out of his mouth back during the E3 Nintendo Direct; so yes, that 3rd game has already been announced.

Obviously they lost exclusivity on it when the poor sales came in (there was probably a get out clause in that contract with SEGA).

I wish! :p that led to some amazing games! exclusive/timed/or not.

True, they were some pretty awesome games (and the GCN still got the best versions of all of them so in retrospect, they're still "exclusive" really if you don't want to play a gimped version!)

But this is certainly the equivalent (plus SLW is a pretty fantastic game on Wii U - hopefully that one ends up staying exclusive like PN03 did!)

Edited by Dcubed

Iwata already said that they secured three exclusive Sonic games. Those were literally the words that came out of his mouth back during the E3 Nintendo Direct; so yes, that 3rd game has already been announced.

Obviously they lost exclusivity on it when the poor sales came in (there was probably a get out clause in that contract with SEGA).

Assumption. There is zero evidence to come to that conclusion

True, they were some pretty awesome games (and the GCN still got the best versions of all of them so in retrospect, they're still "exclusive" really if you don't want to play a gimped version!)

But this is certainly the equivalent (plus SLW is a pretty fantastic game on Wii U - hopefully that one ends up staying exclusive like PN03 did!)

I dunno, Sonic games can be so hit and miss... I'd take a years exclusivity of Resi4 and Viewtiful Joe, over an exclusive Sonic.

True but it wouldnt be a shock would it. The game bombed and you could see why Sega would have no interest and in putting out another exclusive sonic title for wii u.

It's not likely that they chose it, it's more likely that Nintendo threw money at them to develop the game (as per Bayonetta, W101, Sonic Lost World), funding it. As such, making it multiplatform is unlikely.

It's not likely that they chose it, it's more likely that Nintendo threw money at them to develop the game (as per Bayonetta, W101, Sonic Lost World), funding it. As such, making it multiplatform is unlikely.

Well I remember sega making comments at the time how Sonic titles historically sold best on Nintendo platforms so they probably expected the title to do well on the wii u.

Well this is some pretty damning (if not conclusive) evidence here. Even if it's not coming directly from SEGA, the merchandise distributor here would be in the know about upcoming products.

Also if you look at SEGA's teams who work on Sonic games, there's only 3 possibilities as to who's making the 3rd Nintendo exclusive Sonic game. It's either being made by the SLW/Sonic Colors Team (very unlikely, since SLW just came out of course), the Sonic Generations/Unleashed team (much more likely) or Sumo Digital and the 3rd exclusive game is a either a sequel to Sonic Racing Transformed or another spinoff (possible, but unlikely as that would probably be coming this year and there's no mention of a 2014 Sonic game here).

So all signs point to it being a mainline title that was intended to be the 3rd exclusive game and if Nintendo's history with "exclusive" agreements is anything to go by (Capcom 5, Rayman Legends, NBA Jam Wii, Goldeneye Wii etc), it's a safe assumption to make...

I'd like it if this was Generations 2. I'd certainly buy that for my PS4, the first one was the best Sonic game I've played in years.

Well I remember sega making comments at the time how Sonic titles historically sold best on Nintendo platforms so they probably expected the title to do well on the wii u.

That doesn't invalidate Serebii's point, though (where Nintendo is playing a hand in funding it)

That said, I subscribe to the theory that the Olympic games and maybe even SSB count towards that total :heh: That's the loophole, those are the ones that Nintendo funded.

That doesn't invalidate Serebii's point, though (where Nintendo is playing a hand in funding it)

That said, I subscribe to the theory that the Olympic games and maybe even SSB count towards that total :heh: That's the loophole, those are the ones that Nintendo funded.

Olympic Games was indeed one of the 3 (as was SLW of course).

But SSB4 is not a SEGA made game and definitely didn't count. Nintendo would've been very specific about what 3 games they wanted here (they wouldn't have been stupid enough to ask for any 3 games starring Sonic here).

This upcoming one is obviously the 3rd game that was previously exclusive (and the fact that it's even coming to Wii U at all is proof enough of that).

It's sad, but it's the way that almost all of Nintendo's "exclusive" deals go anyway so I'm not surprised.

The only moneyhatted ones they've ever been able to hold onto since the GCN era were the Rogue Squadrons (which they almost lost actually! It was only thanks to time constraints and Lucasarts politics that the Xbox trilogy port didn't happen), Resident Evil Remake (still not quite sure how they've managed to hold onto that one. AFAIK it wasn't fully funded by Nintendo like MGS Twin Snakes was...), Resident Evil 0 (which was actually a carry over from the N64), Tales of Symphonia US/EU (they lost it in Japan and their exclusivity period had now expired - hence why we're getting TOS PS3. Course the joke's on them in the end since it's an utterly terrible port ;) ), Monster Hunter 3, 3U, 4 and 4U (kept at bay for technical reasons - since the PSP couldn't handle the full MH3 experience and there's no way to do cross platform play between 3DS and Vita/PS3/PS4/smartphones so a port of 3U-4U is out; not is there any real incentive to do so anyway), Baten Kaitos 1 & Origins (probably leading up to the Monolith acquisition anyway), Epic Mickey 1 (who would've wanted a port of it anyway though :p ), ZombiU (requires Gamepad) and the Taiko Drum Master games (mainly because they have nowhere else to go really).

Edited by Dcubed

I'd like it if this was Generations 2. I'd certainly buy that for my PS4, the first one was the best Sonic game I've played in years.
I absolutely hated the presentation of that game though, the menu's, the horrible din that was the loading screen music, the clunky awkwardness of the level select area controls, and the long loading times themselves. Ruined the experience for me.

They really all need sorting out! At least this generation of consoles should eliminate that.

I absolutely hated the presentation of that game though, the menu's, the horrible din that was the loading screen music, the clunky awkwardness of the level select area controls, and the long loading times themselves. Ruined the experience for me.

They really all need sorting out! At least this generation of consoles should eliminate that.

I'd have to load it up again to check but I never really noticed that stuff the first time around. The only bit I'd agree on was the clunky level hub.

I'd have to load it up again to check but I never really noticed that stuff the first time around. The only bit I'd agree on was the clunky level hub.
What the hell even was this?...

I couldn't wait for it to be over. :cry:

Why would Sonic in SSB count? Iwata mentioned 3 exclusive games and to think a nintendo made game in SS4 would be one just cos Sonic is a character doesnt make sense to me.

I think its a lot more likely that Sega had a get out just like others did in the past where if sales didnt meet expectations the said publisher could then make a title multi-platform.

I don't think I ever encountered a loading screen long enough to hear that.

I don't think I ever encountered a loading screen long enough to hear that.
Really?... I had the PS3 version and the loading screens went on for ages most times.

What the hell even was this?...

I honestly dont remember that at all, weird. I did have the PC version though so maybe my loads were much quicker as well.

Yeah, I can't remember the loading times being that bad either.

And oh man, if this IS the third exclusive game then that's really tragic. That was one of the few remaining titles coming to Wii U NOT by Nintendo.

The Wii U really can't catch a break. 2014 should be the year of Waluigi, because thus far it's been terrible.