NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jamba

Charity Event: SpecialEffect

Who are SpecialEffect?

So as part of the StreetPass Banbury events calendar @bluey has decided to combine our MarioKart 7 tournament with a special fundraising session for an organisation called SpecialEffect.

The charity is dedicated to designing new control schemes or completely new controllers for people (not just kids!) that have handicaps that stop them from enjoying games like everyone here.

It's hugely important work with inclusiveness as it's major philosophy. It's liberated so many people from the physical and social obstacles that restrict them from sharing and enjoying in a way that most of us take for granted.

Here are some great videos that you might want to look at to give you an idea:

So there's a big variety of work going on including working directly with developers to include support for alternative controllers directly in their engines.

http://www.specialeffect.org.uk/

What are we doing?

On the 22nd of February, we will be holding a super huge raffle with some great Nintendo prizes, kindly donated by several different organisations including Nintendo themselves. Our aim is to raise over £500 through this, general appeals and possibly some other fund raising events.

The event is entirely family friendly so if you have liddlies or you are a liddly then bring your clan :santa:

Any questions then come visit our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/streetpassbanbury/

How can people help?

Gift: At the moment, we are still trying really hard to get more stuff for the raffle. If there's anything that says "Nintendo!" that you would be willing to sacrifice to a good cause then we would be incredibly greatful!

Donate: If any of the videos or the content of their website have inspired you enough to help the cause then please donate to our Just Giving page to help us hit our target.

http://www.justgiving.com/StreetPass-Banbury

Participate: Come to Banbury! Play Mario games! Enter the raffle! Win awesome stuff! Seriously though, seeing N-E people there would be excellent.

Honestly, any support from the community would be great. Get in touch!

Moved this to General Chat, as whilst General Gaming is the right place for it, it's a charity thing and we have members who might want to back it who don't visit the gaming forums.

Moved this to General Chat, as whilst General Gaming is the right place for it, it's a charity thing and we have members who might want to back it who don't visit the gaming forums.

Good point! Thanks Retro : peace:

Ok so WOW....

We've been contacting ETSY sellers about the raffle and raising money for SpecialEffect and we've had an amazing response from one individual. She designed and made a cushion with Ash and Pikachu and has had it signed by Veronica Taylor, the voice of Ash, Ash's Mum (Mom!) and May. It's so special that it's not going into the raffle, we're going to have an open auction on it!

1174231_10151808219342554_249673278_n.jpg?oh=65180d19383aaed03b4130bba827ebb0&oe=52EF3A17&__gda__=1391388205_b7942febbe14c7100c4cf241e7218603

Watch this space :bouncy:

I did a bit of work with these guys as I tried to find accessible ways to allow my students to access games for learning fantastic charity guys get involved!

PHEW! I just finished calling 'round and subsequently emailing all the local primary and secondary schools... i'm also in talks with the local paper about the event :grin:

I'm really excited about this, guys - SpecialEffect are an amazing charity - i'm really happy about the special signed pokemon item we've had donated... we'll be raffling it on its own as it's such a special item, we wanted to be able to extend ticket sales to... you guys! as long as admin would be OK with me selling tickets on here, would people be interested?? @seribii , i'm lookin' at you... !!

OK so the page for purchasing tickets is now OPEN! (hint hint... it's our Just Giving page)

Please spread the word about this as everyone deserves a shot at this. @Serebii , I'd really appreciate it if you could waggle this at the visitors to your site.

Best of luck to everyone, there are many more details on the tickets page but if you have any questions then fire away!

That's cool. I will spread the word, but I don't post about things such as charities on the site often. Whenever I do, I get inundated with requests and it makes me feel bad choosing between various ones, so I have taken a policy to not do it anymore.

That's cool. I will spread the word, but I don't post about things such as charities on the site often. Whenever I do, I get inundated with requests and it makes me feel bad choosing between various ones, so I have taken a policy to not do it anymore.

That's cool and I totally understand :-) Wasn't thinking about anything on the main page but possibly a post in the forum. I'm hoping that the guys on Nugget Bridge will bite :geek:

OK mothercluckers.... here's just a taste of what we're going to have on the raffle at our event. It'll be a totally different raffle to the cushion:

Awesome Pokémon hoodies!

1621828_10151813135807554_1790556885_n.jpg

Wicked Mario cushion (seriously might have to fight @bluey for this)

1607055_10151814535052554_1034536405_n.jpg

CAKE!

1621967_10151816233672554_1194758490_n.jpg

Nintendo decals

il_570xN.536650548_suo3.jpg

Pokémon Jewellery

1901368_10151818201147554_1871667622_n.jpg

Oh yeah.... I'm gonna bombard you with what you're all missing out on. @Kaepora_Gaebora , @Goafer , @MoogleViper , @mr_bogus , you are more than welcome :bouncy:

That goes for anyone in the Northamptonshire and North Oxfordshire area, in fact anyone in the West Midlands or London -> Birmingham train line area! EXCITED!

Edited by Jamba

Could you send me a Facebook message a bit closer to the time? I'd love to come, but I've got some work at weekends and it may clash (I don't know the dates of the work yet).

I'll also probably forget. My memory is a weak at best.

Perhaps I'm a bit dense, but I'm not entirely sure what's happening in Banbury. Is it for people with a 3DS?

Perhaps I'm a bit dense, but I'm not entirely sure what's happening in Banbury. Is it for people with a 3DS?

Well there are a few things going on at the same time...

Firstly, yes, this is a monthly meet for our local 3DS club to play a Mario Kart 7 tournament. There will also multiple games of Mario Party 3DS going on but keep in mind that these are both download play games, so you don't even need to own the game! There'll also be some Double Dash around to play so you can give some of the whippersnappers a run for their money.

Second, as a bit of fun and a charity fund raising event we will be holding two raffles. The first is exclusively for the Pokémon cushion which is open to everyone around the world as entry is online. The second is for a range of gaming goodies but the winners get to pick their prizes, so you have to be there to enter.

But generally it would be cool to have people to come and generally hang out and have a drink with us. The venue is a great place we wanted to encourage people we knew to come and support us and SpecialEffect. : peace:

Guys, girls, people of N-europe...

I know i'm not on here often anymore, but i'm going to ask for your help anyway... this event means a lot to me - i'd really appreciate your help in raising money - you don't even have to donate money yourselves... i'm just asking you to do one thing:

Share the Pokemon Cushion Raffle.

Anyone, anywhere in the world can buy a ticket, and 100% of the ticket price goes to SpecialEffect. I'm covering first class UK postage, and if someone overseas wins or the winner wants it sent recorded, we can work something out.

All I need you to do is copy and paste the below and pop it on your facebook wall.

that's all.

that'll make me so happy... :love:

the link should even automatically generate a nice picture of the cushion for your friends to see - if not feel free to nick pictures from this thread.

as i say - i really want to earn money for this amazing charity - it means a lot to me. please share the raffle, even if you can't donate, getting the word out is just as important...

!! SIGNED POKEMON MERCHANDISE CHARITY RAFFLE !!

StreetPass Banbury are holding a charity raffle for this amazing SIGNED Pokemon merchandise in aid of SpecialEffect. The raffle will be held at the next StreetPass Banbury Event on 22nd Feb in Banbury, but tickets are available online NOW!! To be in with a chance of winning this one-of-a-kind item, signed by Veronica Taylor, Ash Ketchum's original voice actress, buy your tickets now via StreetPass Banbury's JustGiving page:

Tickets are £5 and ALL MONEY RAISED goes to SpecialEffect (http://www.specialeffect.org.uk)

Any questions please ask - someone's going to win this awesome signed pokemon cushion for just £5 and every penny raised is going to help disabled kids (and adults) get back in the game.

....please....??? :hug:

Donated. Hope it all goes well!

Have you tried reddit.com/r/pokemon?

They might be interested in the raffle, even if most are American and probably won't get to Banbury.

Edited by 130131301364

Donated. Hope it all goes well!

Have you tried reddit.com/r/pokemon?

They might be interested in the raffle, even if most are American and probably won't get to Banbury.

Thanks dude :laughing:

yeah it's on reddit and N4G... can;t really think of anywhere else to put it but to ask people to share it on facebook - tho it seems nobody i ask can be fucked to do so... :(

Sign in to follow this