NEurope
Rummy

Would you buy DS titles on your Wii U VC?

Would you buy DS titles on your WiiU?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy DS titles on your WiiU?

• Yes, lots!
    • Maybe, depending what the titles are
    • Maybe, depending what the prices are
    • Maybe a few specific titles if they come to it
    • Lolnope.
    • What's a Wii U??

With the recent news from the investor's meeting suggesting DS titles might be coming to your Wii U's virtual console I have just one question:

Would you buy them? If yes, what/why? If no - well a little bit of why, but this topic isn't really to discuss the wiseness/silliness of the decision they've made etc, it's to discuss YOU and if you WOULD buy any DS games on WiiUVC.

Edited by Rummy

I really don't see the point of them on the Wii U. I'd buy some on the 3DS, though.

For any titles I wanted to get but missed, then sure. However, I don't see myself making much use of this service.

It depends on the price and what the titles are. I'm not paying €20 for a DS game.

I want Retro Game Challenge, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssee 1-3, Mario Party DS (would be nice to play multiplayer on my TV), Chibi Robo Park Patrol, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem in English, ASH (a full English version does exist, locked away in the vaults of NOA), Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in English, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland 2 in English, Tingle's Balloon Trip, Retro Game Challenge 2 in English...

Yeah there's loads that I'd want :)

Edited by Dcubed

Can't think of any titles I would want to buy on the service. Maybe one or two titles that I missed but in general I already have the carts and can play them on my 3DS, so I find it pretty pointless for me.

If the emulation is excellent I might consider it.

I guess it's good for people who missed out on the DS (somehow).

I'd buy them on the 3DS for sure. Wii U probably not but I guess if they proved that it worked well and they made sure they actually looked good on the much larger screens then I might consider it.

Not really interested in DS VC, no. :blank:

I've got 63 DS games in total sitting in a cupboard (so yeah, all the best DS games and then some :hehe:) if I want to play one again I'll just grab the game card and stick it in my DS/3DS. ::shrug:

BUT... If Nintendo were to do a Hanabi Festival style thing and translate Tingle's Balloon Trip and Tomodachi Collection I would definitely buy both of those. :wink:

The only 2 DS games that I never imported, due to the text heavy nature of both.

Well being that they would be classed as VC games then 'Yes' as I will almost certainly be reviewing them. ;)

As for games that I would willingly part with money for to play on the big screen...

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Dragon Quest V: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Mario Kart DS

Phantasy Star 0

There are probably more, but those are the ones which spring to mind, obviously with online for those titles which originally supported it of course. :p

Tingle's Balloon Trip

text heavy nature

Do you mean Tingle RPG 2? ;)

Really regretting not buying Tingle's Balloon Trip when I saw it at an import store, but I decide to wait a bit and now it's gone. :'(

Phantasy Star 0

Really wish I played this more. I keep forgetting about it to be honest.

Yeah, this:

Um8zY3M.jpg

Even the box art cracks me up. :D

I want so bad :( FPTRR was a chucklehuck of epic proportions!

So many great DS games that didn't get localised :cry:

If they'd added proper online to Advance Wars I'd shit my pants, but I'd rather take a new installment.

I might buy some titles, but most titles that I want I will most likely import and play in Japanese to help with my studies.

Ah, the good ol' region-free days :D

I'd probably double dip on a lot of DS games, purely for the convenience of playing on the bigger screen, miiverse, save states etc and its a nice way to get mario 64 out there, as i never finished the DS game....i don't even think i got as far as using wario...

but some RPG's with their pre-rendered glory will look awesome on the gamepad

but they need a ND to announce this coming summer 2014 globally, along with N64/GBA/Gamecube/Saturn and a faster release schedule of 2 games minimum per format per week

I would buy some games if they were never localised in Europe before (like the two chibi robo DS games). But the chances are so slim that I would probably only end up buying one or two games :/

I basically have every DS game I want so I'm not really interested in DS games on the Wii U Virtual Console. The games should be available on 3DS already to download but we haven't even got GBA games yet. To decide to get DS games working on Wii U when everyone is crying out for N64 and GC games is just another indication that Nintendo may have completely lost the plot.. ::shrug:

Clicked lolnope!

Every game that I've enjoyed on the DS has been greatly linked to the actual console itself, often it's portability. I don't see any of these being improved by being on a bigger screen, particularly with the screen so physically split.

It would ruin games like Contra and Sonic Rush that switch between screen regularly and games like Metroid Prime Hunters are going to require some sort of finger dislocation to play. In my opinion, I can't think of a single game that it would improve and I'm cynical enough to think that Nintendo will claim that they would have had to cherry pick the games because of this and that's why they only release 3 games a year.

The 3DS has a full DS emulator built in. Put the service on the platform that it was meant for.

I voted for 'Maybe a few specific titles if they come to it'.

If the DS games were coming to the 3DS VC, it'd be a whole different matter.

Welp, might be somewhat obsolete already!

http://kotaku.com/my-quest-to-play-3ds-games-on-my-tv-1512835011 - 3DS mod allows output to TV

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, interesting to see. Mostly was curious what actual gamers and people who I know who own the system would actually feel about this move...can't say it's wholly reassuring. Looks like a lot of preferable demand would be for titles we never received - wonder if Nintendo might take note of that(hoping so with previous success of Earthbound).

I have to agree that I think this would be better suited to being provided through the eShop on the 3DS as opposed to the Wii U. @Jamba nails some of the issues on the head with his examples.

That said, if it was provided on the 3DS and the pricing of the titles was right, then I'd be up for it. Particularly if it meant I'd get my hands on some RPGs that I could never track down physical copies of (things like Suikoden Tierkries, which could be awful but I'd love to be able to try it without forking out a ridiculous amount of money for it) or even if it meant that games that never saw an EU release got one courtesy of the same kind of festival thing Nintendo did on the Wii VC at times.

We're all Nintendo fans, and barely any of us are interested. How can Nintendo get every decision they make so drastically wrong?! It's bizarre, there'll be some I'm sure we'll all buy, but as a general its a a terrible terrible decision. I'm with Jamba, the genius od the DS and 3DS and Nintendo handhelds in general, and why i believe Sony have failed, is because they understand handheld games... they're portable, they're bitesized, they're great four playing on buses and trains, and when you know you're going for a shit and you want to drip dry....

Not only do I think they're too recent to be excited, most of us have the capabilities to buy the games very cheap and play them on our 3D's... it's not the console we want. I didn't think we could be any louder with our cries for Gamecube VC, but Nintendo are still deaf to it!!!!!

But yes. I'll probably lots of them :D

In my humble opinion, the DS was not at all a good system for 1st-party games, which is probably what we'll get. Game Boy, GBA and 3DS arguably all have much better Mario and Zelda titles (and some of them actually have Metroid games too!) When I think of the DS, it's mainly 3rd-party games like Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey and Aliens: Infestation that I look back most fondly on, which are possible, but less likely.

Don't get me wrong, the fuller the Virtual Console service is the better, but overall I'd rather build up a collection of handheld games on my handhelds.

I literally can't think of anything I would like less from the Wii U.