NEurope
Murr

Formula 1 2014

Having watched the footage of the crash I'm amazed he's not dead. Just a tiny fraction for to the left and I'm 100% sure he wouldn't be here anymore.

It does seem like there must be more to this than a driver error. The way he goes off track and the angle doesn't seem like a spin or something he could have done much about. I'm sure we'll hear more about the lead up to the accident but it definitely seems like something must have happened beforehand leading up to it.

Hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

I haven't watched the footage, but I can't help think of Maria de Villota... both driving a Marussia, both hitting a stationary vehicle... it's just fucking weird how these things happen...

I just pray Jules is ok.

Edited by Retro_Link

Having watched the crash footage I feel like I've had a niggling doubt about Suzuka confirmed - it's a great track but the gravel traps and catch areas are woefully insufficient for modern F1 machinery and it needs updating. A decent sized gravel trap or run-off area, like what you would expect from a modern-built circuit, would have almost certainly saved Bianchi from his terrible injuries in the same circumstances.

Seen the footage and yeah, small margins between life and death right there, hope he makes a full recovery and my thoughts are with him, his family and friends.

Having watched the crash footage I feel like I've had a niggling doubt about Suzuka confirmed - it's a great track but the gravel traps and catch areas are woefully insufficient for modern F1 machinery and it needs updating. A decent sized gravel trap or run-off area, like what you would expect from a modern-built circuit, would have almost certainly saved Bianchi from his terrible injuries in the same circumstances.

I don't think it's a fault of the track tbh. Brundle aquaplaned at the same corner in 94 and hit a steward, whilst Luizzi aqua-planned at Europe 07 and hit a tractor (very slowly mind).

It makes you realise that in wet conditions, when there at staff and machinary on the track, yellow flags are simply NOT enough, especially on the exit of a corner where cars can aquaplane. Brundle has been saying for years that they need a better solution and it's a shame that this had to happen for us to see that it needs fixing.

Poor Bianchi :(

I'm amazed he's alive after seeing the video. He hits it at such speed and the damage to the car is massive.

Really hope he makes a full recovery.

How gruesome is the video? I dunno if I wanna watch it or not...hah

Amazing Qualifying session!! Ahhh Bottas, so close! :D

And I've been pleasantly surprised by Sochi! Looks fantastic from the air and whilst I haven't grasped it all yet, the track has enough features to it so you can begin to recognise the layout.

Great race for Hamilton, I just felt a little let down with them all shaking Putin's hand at the end of it. I wanted Hamilton to open his overalls to reveal a T-Shirt with Leave Ukraine Alone! or something.

Great race for Hamilton, I just felt a little let down with them all shaking Putin's hand at the end of it. I wanted Hamilton to open his overalls to reveal a T-Shirt with Leave Ukraine Alone! or something.

That really pissed me off too. Why bother with the 'F1 shouldn't mix with politics' regulation if Putin is going to be plastered all over the track? Can't believe they let him give out the trophies :(

What was worse was the fact that they hijacked the Jules Bianchi moment to play the National Anthem. Shameless.

And we're going to Azerbaijan (Baku) in 2016 :(

Yeah I was very surprised to see them all quite so happy to shake his hand. I guess it would have been pretty difficult to refuse, in the circumstance, and I guess the drivers will have been told not to say anything after in fear of pissing of sponsors or whatever.

US GP tomorrow, lights out at 8pm GMT. In some quite interesting news, we could see Force India and Sauber pit their cars after the first lap in protest over what's happening with Caterham and Marussia

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9545069/force-india-could-pull-out-of-the-us-gp-in-protest-against-sports-governance

I fully support both teams if they did this, and i would like to see more teams do this.

There's no way the mid-field teams will boycott a USGP, not after what happened at Indy. It would be too negative an image for them and their sponsors.

Nico was really on it today, great to see. He needs to win these next two races if he's to stand a real chance of the title come Abu Dhabi.

A lot of the grandstands were half empty.

So so disappointing! After they got their first points this year, and what's happened to Bianchi, they deserve better than to go out with such a whimper. Caterham seemed to be the ones in trouble, but Marussia have beaten them to it. It's a sad day.

Yeah the Marussia stuff is so sad :( Great bunch of guys and Jules scoring points in Monaco is one of my favourite F1 memories.

Me and Retro were at the F1 Fans Forum in London last year and Graeme Lowden was there...top top bloke. I liked those guys, almost as much as I loved Minardi.

Jules Bianchi is out of a coma and has been flown back to a hospital in France. Fantastic news. Such a shame that he's going to wake up without a team!

Everybody else excited for this weekend? I'm going on a big night out on Saturday and intend on having a nice hungover day of watching the F1 to make me feel better :D

Unfortunately I'll be working while the race is on but at least I can have nap before hitting up iPlayer and having my heart attack then. Lewis never just fails, it's either an utter catastrophe or nothing.

Jules Bianchi is out of a coma and has been flown back to a hospital in France. Fantastic news. Such a shame that he's going to wake up without a team!

Everybody else excited for this weekend? I'm going on a big night out on Saturday and intend on having a nice hungover day of watching the F1 to make me feel better :D

Whilst I don't actually support either driver, I'm starting to get slightly nervous! I'm also delighted that double points won't ruin anything.

Lewis has been outstanding this season imo and bar his mistake at Austria (where he spun in qualifying) he's been invincible. Nico has maximised his results though and should he win he deserves it.

Also, it's now confirmed that Vettel will be at Ferrari and Alonso is leaving. Who would have thought that Alonso would leave Ferrari with only 11 wins? Quite sad in a way, the car was shit throughout that whole period compared to RB.

Not a fan of Vettel but seeing a German drive a Ferrari again...I'm already excited :)

Anyone going to try bidding on any Marussia stuff tomorrow?

Not really a fan of Formula 1, but some of the stuff in the auction looks interesting. Plus there's no lower limit!

Might try bidding for something random - I saw a BBQ!

Anyone going to try bidding on any Marussia stuff tomorrow?

Not really a fan of Formula 1, but some of the stuff in the auction looks interesting. Plus there's no lower limit!

Might try bidding for something random - I saw a BBQ!

Just had a look and wow they are literally selling everything even down to office chairs.

No doubt some of the car parts are going to go for some big money to massive F1 fans.

Be interested in seeing how much alot of it goes for, but won't be partaking in the bidding myself.

I've got my eye on 170 short-sleeved white shirts. I'll be set for life.

I've got my eye on 170 short-sleeved white shirts. I'll be set for life.

Where is this merchandise?!

So Ferrari have signed Gutierrez as reserve/test driver.

Seems a strange choice.

Yeah it is weird. Looked average next to Sutil who was terrible..