NEurope
Murr

Formula 1 2014

Shame about Rosberg dropping it out but we had a good fight between Vettel and Alonso so I'm satisfied. Lewis & Nico now on level pegging as well so everything to play for. Kimi's crash was super frightening, if Massa hadn't reacted in time somebody could have died.

A bit reckless from Kimi to try that at such speed. You can see him accelerating on the run off track, he needs a good slapping for that, but I guess a 45g crash is punishment enough...

Oh Hamilton, such a humble victor... I honestly don't know how anyone can tolerate this guy.

Anyone else watch this race?! Fantastic action all throughout the field and some fantastic moments from both Lewis and Alonso/Ricciardo. Silverstone was awesome but today was as good in my opinion :)

Bottas surely must be a shoe in for a top drive sooner or later? Incredible performance from him again. Oh, and whilst I'm delighted Felipe is safe, I do think he should have left more room during that T1 encounter. Both Red Bull's went through that corner side by side; Massa should have left some space.

Another terrifying crash on the first lap, even scarier than Kimi's. Poor Massa can't seem to catch a break, it was a really poor and uncharacteristic mistake by Magnussen. Good race for Lewis all things considered, still well within touching distance of Nico. If he can just be a little bit luckier over the rest of the season he should be able to pull comfortably ahead.

As a side note excellent showing from Wolff in practice, if she ever gets a miracle and a seat she'll have earned it.

Edited by gaggle64

Another terrifying crash on the first lap, even scarier than Kimi's. Poor Massa can't seem to catch a break, it was a really poor and uncharacteristic mistake by Magnussen. Good race for Lewis all things considered, still well within touching distance of Nico. If he can just be a little bit luckier over the rest of the season he should be able to pull comfortably ahead.

As a side note excellent showing from Wolff in practice, if she ever gets a miracle and a seat she'll have earned it.

I can't believe how many serious accidents we've had!

I also think this was the race where the old guard have been surpassed by the young go getters. Massa was at fault for that crash and to be honest, I think he should retire. He just doesn't have the speed or the spacial awareness to lead Williams, and Bottas is the next big thing. Kimi also said that he was happier with the car but whereas Alonso is busy fighting Red Bull's, Kimi is fighting Toro Rosso's and Force India's...It's not on. I'm convinced Button is close to retirement too...Magnussen was electric through that race despite the turn 1 incident. And finally, Ricciardo...man, he is surely a WDC in the making? Despite being 15th at the end of lap 1 he finished just 6s behind Seb. Amazing.

I'd love to see Koba, Hulk and Bianchi replacing Button, Massa and Kimi but I don't think @Retro_Link will be happy with me saying that...

Yeah, as much as I love Kimi he just hasn't been up to it this year. Ferrari should try to lure someone like Bottas or promote Bianchi for next year. I reckon Button has one, maybe two seasons left in him and MacLaren won't ditch him before that unless they can get someone with his level of experience in to replace him. Red Bull will obviously stick with what they've got, as will Mercedes. That doesn't really leave much space at the top for others.

It really annoys me though that someone like Maldonado, who has been dire all season, gets a contract extension because of the sponsorship he brings from his home country. Meanwhile people like Paul di Resta who always showed a bit of promise never get a good seat. Not that Lotus could be considered a good seat this season.

First time I've watched a race properly in ages and I loved it. Great action throughout. Perfect Sunday hangover watching.

I thought Massa was just as much at fault as Magnussen was for the crash.

Hamilton and Button's incident was touch and go, perhaps slightly more Lewis' fault than Jenson's.

Fantastic drive by Hamilton to secure 3rd position when he was losing significant time each lap due to a damaged front wing. Can they not change front wings at a pit stop anymore? I was in the bathroom when he went through the middle of Raikonnen and someone else and it sounded like nail-biting stuff. Commentators were making a huge deal about it.

They could have changed it at the pit stop, but doing so would have cost them a couple of seconds during the stop which they calculated to be more than they would lose by continuing to run with the damaged one. Either the wing damage wasn't really costing Lewis time per lap (possible, because alot of the stuff on those wings make such a minute difference that it wouldn't matter) or the extra time in the pit stop would have put him into traffic / cost him an extra position or two that would have cancelled out the gains in lap time.

Aggh, it's turning into 2012 all over again. I only hope Rosberg has another breakdown just to even it back out again.

Edited by gaggle64

Aggh, it's turning into 2012 all over again. I only hope Rosberg has another breakdown just to even it back out again.

The only plus for Lewis is that at leas this recent reliability woes are happening in qualifying and not the race. As you say, if Nico has a problem today or after the summer break, the title is back on. That said, there is such a long way to go it's unreal. Anything can happen :)

It was interesting to see so many reliability problems yesterday. The teams barely have any power units parts left that are new, and those that are new will be used up at Monza and Spa. We're going to see an awful lot of retirements and penalties once we hit Singapore and Suzuka!

The smiling Aussie has the biggest smile at the circuit, he's such a talent and is making Vettel look ordinary, makes you wonder if Vettel is truly great or having a dominant car made his seem truly great, really happy for Ricciardo to win that, he made some great moves. Alonso made quite the last stint there, how he and Hamilton managed to keep a rampant Rosberg behind them I'll never know. I don't think anyone expected Hamilton to finish ahead of Rosberg but there you go, it happened, a small bite into Rosberg's lead instead of a bigger gap for him to bite back at.

Shame we didn't get the second spell of rain, but those last 10 or so laps were tense.

Now that was a great race. I couldn't quite understand Mercedes strategy for Rosberg, but it was certainly interesting to see Hamilton's reaction.

Amazing, absolutely amazing. Another superb win for Danny R, a quintessentially magic performance from 'Nando and another vital champion performance from Lewis. Can't wait for racing to resume in Spa. Gonna be a long summer break.

As much as I dislike Hamilton, I'm glad he didn't get out of the way. Great race :)

Amazing, absolutely amazing. Another superb win for Danny R, a quintessentially magic performance from 'Nando and another vital champion performance from Lewis. Can't wait for racing to resume in Spa. Gonna be a long summer break.

It really was an incredible race. Definitely the best of the year alongside Bahrain, Canada and Germany. Alonso's drive really was incredible when you consider he was completely screwed by the safety car (just as Bottas, Rosberg and Vettel were). Vettel had a shocker but Ricciardo...boy, he's special. I would love to see him race Lewis and Fernando in a championship fight.

As much as I dislike Hamilton, I'm glad he didn't get out of the way. Great race :)

Yeah it was a silly instruction. I think it's clear the Merc pit wall just panicked..they aren't used to being in this type of championship leading situation. Red Bull made some poor decisions in 2010 too when they leaped to the front of the grid.

Out of interest, why do you dislike Lewis? My girlfriend adores the bloke.

:blank:

Anyway, so it's Nico vs Lewis for the title and Nico has a slight edge. Who do people think will win it come November? My money is on Nico tbh; Lewis has never been as strong in the second half of the season and I can't see that improving too much. That said he's very handy around Singapore and Abu Dhabi and with double points on the horizon that could be enough.

I think the double points fiasco is going to be huge if either of them win it due to that change.

Was a good race at the weekend, not sure what has changed so much but this season is definitely more exciting.

I think the double points fiasco is going to be huge if either of them win it due to that change.

Was a good race at the weekend, not sure what has changed so much but this season is definitely more exciting.

It's weird because the first races were pretty boring, especially China and Malaysia. The field seems to have got much closer since then and reliability seems to be effecting everyone which is good to see.

So hyped for Spa and Monza! I honestly think we'll see these cars hit 360kph there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28547377

The 83-year-old went on trial in Munich in April, charged with bribery and incitement to breach of trust.

He is accused of paying a German banker 33 million euros to ensure a company he favoured could buy a stake in F1.

If found guilty, the F1 boss could face a 10-year jail term and the end of his decades-long dominance of motor racing.

Is it just me, or is this Bernie essentially bribing his way out of a bribery charge? It would seem that when you have ridiculous amounts of money like he does you can do whatever the hell you want...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28547377

Is it just me, or is this Bernie essentially bribing his way out of a bribery charge? It would seem that when you have ridiculous amounts of money like he does you can do whatever the hell you want...

Literally the most ironic story I've ever read.

Only Bernie can bribe the courts to drop a case regarding bribery against him. I guess in the eyes of Bernie, 2 wrongs do make a right.

Australia confirmed to host races until 2020 at least.

Great to hear as the track is fantastic and produces awesome races, although I hope the short contract length doesn't mean Bernie is planning to get rid of it for a race in North Korea or something.

Ricciardo showing the others how it's done, but again Mercedes shooting themselves in the foot. Rosberg is showing a lack of racecraft, he effectively took Hamilton out of the race and ruined his own chances of victory in such a stupid manner early on. Interesting to see both Lauda and Toto Wolfe both ripping into Rosbergs actions. Almost thought Raikonnen would get that podium, but man Bottas in that Williams is so quick in a straight line it's unreal.

I'm not sure I can take this Mercedes conflict any more, I already have an anxiety condition for god's sake.