NEurope
Murr

Formula 1 2014

Anyone going to be watching the race this afternoon? Have to admit that Bahrain looks fantastic under the lights!

Hope the Ferrari's get good starts otherwise it's going to be a long afternoon for them, stuck behind the Mercedes cars...

Hoping for a good battle between Lewis and Nico.

Yup, got it on now. Finally will experience the new coverage live for the first (and not the last) time this season.

Did anyone else see Ron Dennis on Sky Sports News earlier. His comments concerning Red Bull (more so on Seb Vettels comments/moaning on the cars) certainly speak as many think.

Edited by Jimbob

Brilliant race today. Really thought Rosberg was gonna nick it after that safety car, but Lewis held on amazingly. The gap they created over the others in the last ten laps was insane.

Really loving the likes of Hulkenburg, Massa and Bottas doing well too. That Merc engine really has the edge over the Renault and Ferraris. Hoping it becomes a bit more even as the season goes on, shaping up to be an exciting season.

Brilliant race, that is what i call F1. That is what i want to see more often, let the teams race it out amongst each other for positions.

Onto Gutierrez's car flipping at the hands of Maldonado. That was insane, especially the replay on Gutierrez's car at the time of the sad flip.

BkjYkbrCcAAdsrW.jpg

Best Grand Prix I've watched over the years that hasn't been a title decider. It really was nail biting and the Lewis-Nico battle was legendary. I'm not too fussed about how dominant they are as I can't wait for proper battles like this! When was the last real tussle we had for the lead of a race where DRS didn't end it before it started?

Why in the bollocking hell have BBC put the highlights on at the same time as MOTD?

Holy hell what a race. Lewis was truly legendary today to keep Nico off for 10 laps on the slower tyres. Great team battles up and down. Bahrain used to be a good excuse for a nap, is this even the same circuit?

Why in the bollocking hell have BBC put the highlights on at the same time as MOTD?

Profiling purposes.

That was an awesome race, for some reason I just thought they'd connect and take each other out. Thankfully that wasn't the case though. Very playful celebration at the end and it looks like they enjoyed it all.

Glad they were allowed to race to the wire, Great race.

One thing that puzzles me, the noses were lowered to protect drivers and increase safety no? From the replay it genuinely looks like the nose of the Lotus is the factor into Guitirez flipping.

Sad McLaren's didn't finish, and also that Williams didn't finish higher. Fair play to the Force India's, had no right to be that high in the points, but they did well.

Stefano Dominicali has 'stepped down'.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113446

Stefano Domenicali has stepped down as team principal of the Ferrari Formula 1 team.

After a disappointing start to the season, that has left Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen without a podium finish, Domenicali has shouldered the blame for the team's lack of form.

He has moved aside with immediate effect, and will be replaced for now by Marco Mattiacci, the president and CEO of Ferrari North America.

This new guy had better be temporary!! Ferrari are screwed.

I feel bad for Kimi and Fernando. This was supposed to be the season we see two world champions take one another on, but Ferrari fail to give them the car and now the team is without a principle. What an utter waste of a year.

Rumour has it (inevitably) that they are trying to get Ross Brawn back. I'd be all for that.

Rumour has it (inevitably) that they are trying to get Ross Brawn back. I'd be all for that.

Same, that would be epic. Ron at McClaren and Ross at Ferrari. That just oozes with awesomeness.

Edit: To save a double post, Red Bull have lost their appeal. Thoughts everyone?

Personally, i say good. The FIA are finally showing that Red Bull need to step in line and follow the orders given. Feel sorry for Riccardo though.

Edited by Jimbob

Vettel is such a smug little shit. "Tough luck" eh? Ricciardo deserves a better teammate than him. I'm glad he beat him resoundingly, even if Vettel did later claim that he let him past rather than just ran wide on his worn tires.

It's amazing how many team radio's Vettel 'at first doesn't understand' during a race :indeed: Yeah right.

I've been a big fan of Ricciardo since @Goron_3 and myself met him at the FOTA event last year and I'm absolutely loving what hes doing at Red Bull this year! :D I can see myself being a real supporter of him in the future, though preferably not at that team, but I can see him being there for a long time yet.

Bottas also is really exciting and I'm enjoying the revived Williams, but they need to sort the mistakes out and believe in themselves more. I haven't really taken to Magnussen, he's made some really stupid first lap mistakes in the races so far.

I did think it was a boring race though, but China nearly always is. The tyre graining was ridiculous!

It's strange how if Nico isn't starting on the front row he doesn't really seem to be anywhere.

Commanding drive from Lewis! He's got the championship sewn up this year. I can see Nico maybe challenging at the occasional track like Monaco maybe (mind you I thought China might be a Nico track), but still.

I quite enjoyed the race; it wasn't the most entertaining but there were a lot of subtle story lines unfolding.

As has been mentioned, Ricciardo completely destroyed Seb yesterday, and the fact that Seb almost had to revert to a 3 stopper was hugely ironic as that basically summed up the Vettel-Webber partnership! He's struggling a lot with the slower corners so he should be okay at Spain, as he was at Malaysia, but Monaco and Canada could well be interesting, which a fair few traction events. Delighted to see him struggling.

Kimi was absolutely abysmal and even though he had some fuel problems towards the end, his pace was nowhere. Once again there was only one Ferrari at the top and it's been like this for years. Hugely frustrating. Alonso however was absolutely brilliant and it's somewhat ironic that Seb struggled so much whereas Alonso adapted so easily. Imo, he's easily the best driver on the grid.

Great recovery from Rosberg, having to race without telemetry. He's still leading the championship but the momentum is clearly still with Lewis...I can't wait for Spain!!!

Edit. Kimi saying on Sky Sport's that his driving style is to blame for his poor pace as he doesn't get enough heat into the tyres. It's 2008 all over again.

Edited by Goron_3

Look at you, branching into become a house designer ;) You should genuinely set up your own shop one day dude :heh: A nice vintage F1 shop near Silverstone...you'd rake it in.

On another note, I saw a film last night called '1: Life on The Limit'. It basically told the story of F1 since the beginning and how it's changed over the years. In particularly it dealt with safety and how whilst we've lost a lot of lives, we've also come a long way in terms of safety and it's made a huge difference around the world. There's some fantastic footage in there and some terrifying parts too....not for the light hearted!

Look at you, branching into become a house designer ;) You should genuinely set up your own shop one day dude :heh: A nice vintage F1 shop near Silverstone...you'd rake it in.
Urgh, I want to setup my own shop or something :p Stupid Redbubble! (although I guess it's easier atm than printing and making them myself)

Yeah I've heard about that movie! Though is it quite similar to those F1 BBC documentaries that have been on a few times, like the one with Jackie Stewart talking about his crash at Spa etc...

Edited by Retro_Link

I bought that last month, I very much recommend it. It is a traditional documentary (unlike Senna, for example) but it's a beautifully produced work that earns it's feature-film format. Definitely recommended for fans and anyone interested in the sport.

I take it from the lack of replies to this thread, that everyone else found that race as dull as I did :(

It was ok, but yeah pretty much :p

I felt the Lewis vs Nico battle got overplayed, Nico only got near him on the very last lap let alone them actually fighting one another. Lewis is gonna walk it.

Ferrari were just utterly embarrassing, but I was pleased to see Kimi on it all weekend, good sign that he's beginning to get somewhere with this truck of a car, and the 5th race in.

The only real positives for me were Williams continued good form & Daniel getting a legit podium this time! :)

Just goes to show that no matter what the power is in the car (be it between Rosberg and Hamilton), that it's down to the driver as it was proved.

Lewis will most likely take the World Title this year, which i'd be happy with because

A. He's British

and

B. It's not Seb Vettel

All i've heard from Vettel is moan, moan, moan. Riccardo getting a legit podium this time, i'm happy for him. Well deserved this time around.

That was an ok race, not a thriller but it ticked over. I'm glad Lewis is storming on but I would like more of a challenge for him up at the front. Hope at least the Red Bulls can make it up by mid-season. Good day for Grosjean, promising for Lotus. They needed that.

Absolutely can't stand Hamilton :( Such a spoilt brat. Hate the way he talks, dresses, carries on.. Everything about him just irks me! Flat brim caps... Fuck. Off.

Hoping Rosberg can take it to him, as it looks like he's the only one who will get close this year. Great start to the season from Riccardo :)

Hopefully the Monnaco GP will live up to being a great one, Rosberg performed well last season on this track. Here's hoping for a repeat performance.